Chapter 3

Neighbors

Chapter 3!

 

Deliveries for tomorrow. Check.

 

Meeting with dad about the new contract. Check.

 

Sigh~ finally, it’s almost two in the afternoon and so far, my slate’s clean. Well done, Kim Hyoyeon. A pat in the back for you.

 

“Uhm, Min?

 

“Yes, Ma’am?”

 

“Were you able to give Mr. Jung the final quotation, he has been asking for that since yesterday.”

 

“Yes, Ma’am. I already gave it.”

 

Nodding, I was relieved that Min was able to keep up with the pace too.

 

“Uhm. What about the referral of Mrs. Hwang, did you already prepared it?”

 

“It’s already done Ma’am, Her secretary said that Mrs. Hwang already talked to her friend and they will visit here next week.”

 

“Okay, good. Is there no scheduled meeting today?”

 

I was so into work, follow-ups and scheduled meetings, when…

 

“Hello, pretties! Hey, Min, Here’s your sandwich, go ahead and eat first okay and  don’t worry about your slave driver boss here, I'll handle her, so go now, don’t be afraid of Hyoraengi here, she’s nice… especially when she’s asleep! :P”

 

Yuri. My best friend. If there’s anyone who could really keep me on my toes that would be her. And despite her rants about me being stiff, too focused and all, I so love her.

 

“Good afternoon, Yul. What kind of bad wind brought you here? Huh!”

I sort of greeted her with a sarcastic tone, we are like this, she knows that I hated disruptions at work.

 

“C’mon sissy, lighten up. Here, take a look. You will love this.”

 

She then laid a white envelope on the table, flashing that ever wide grin. I eyed it with curiosity but as soon as I opened it… it revealed two tickets- Jeju Island. Next weekend. I could not help but glare.

 

She seemed to have guessed what’s on my mind though,

 

“Oh no, Hyo, you cannot refuse it again, I had everything planned. From our accommodations to our itinerary, so you cannot back out now.”

 

Break. Vacation. I want it too but….

 

“No, no Yuri, I can’t. It’s not included in my schedule, and I still have lots to do especially now. I cannot rely it to my Dad and I cannot leave my work that easy.”

 

“Tsk.tsk.tsk! Kim Hyoyeon. If that’s what you worry about, it’s already taken care of. So, no worries.”

 

“What are you saying, I had an early meeting with Dad earlier and he did not say anything.”

 

I was about to continue when the door swung open.

 

“Oh Yuri, you’re here, did you have the tickets already? I told you, my friend could easily book you a flight.”

 

I was looking at both of them in such awe for I was the only one left clueless. It seems like they really planned my vacation for a long time.

 

“Dad?!”

 

He looked at me, sporting his signature smile, the one which I found the sweetest. I love my dad so much, my friends often tease me that maybe, it was one of the reasons why I’m having a difficult time finding a replacement for… never mind.

 

“Hyo, baby. No buts, no ifs. Just do it!” Papa remarked and as he planted a soft kiss in my forehead, rummaged through my files and winked at my dear best friend, I knew there’s nothing that I could possibly do to have this short vacation cancelled.

 

“So Hyo, You think you’re the only one who can say those lines, haha! Min, did you hear that, haha!

 

Oh yes, there goes my dear Kkab Yul, seemingly rubbing salt to my already open wound.

 

=================

 

Visiting my wardrobe was a drab. I couldn’t seem to find anything that suited me or my supposed trip. We are expected to have fun and go swimming, visit the Baekrokdam Lake, snorkel and all but seeing my choices, there weren’t anything fun or interesting at all.

 

Oh, Kim Hyoyeon, when was the last time you actually went shopping, huh?

 

Today is a Wednesday and apparently, I am not expecting any visit either from my brothers, mom even dad. They forced me to prolong my vacation by taking an early leave so instead of working in my mini-paradise; here I am trying to find life in my closet.

 

Urrrgh… who could that be. Maybe it’s Yuri.

 

I was kind of satisfied thinking that maybe Yuri and I could go shopping. I was actually enjoying the idea and found myself humming while going for the door when…

 

“Hi.”

 

It’s him. Again.

 

“Oh, what brought you here? I mean, there’s no leaking faucet today, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

 

He chuckled and while I find his chuckling cute, I really don’t understand why he would be here.

 

“Uhm, nothing I just assume that you’re here given that it’s a weekday. You know, maybe ask you for a cup of coffee or get some snack. My treat.”

 

That smile, god Hyo, how could you resist?

 

Spacing out Hyoyeon setting in..

 

“Well, uhm... Sorry but I’m still full.”

 

I should have turned my back right there but his enthusiasm was both annoying and evident.

 

“Please, as if we don’t have any deep connections yesterday.”

 

“Yah, Junho-sshi, For Your Information. You just fixed my faucet and I treated you out for lunch. So there’s really no deep connections between us. And I’m busy. Just look for someone who isn’t busy or knock on other units there okay?!

 

“Okay. Okay. Chill. I’m just kidding! Is that how you treat someone on his birthday?”

 

I should have said a few more lines to drive him away but I paused, looked at him and asked, “Is it really your birthday?”

 

==============================

 

We ended up having snacks in his so called favorite place. It was a quaint coffee shop in Seoul. Not too big of a space but favorably cozy.

 

I was then playing with my food… all the while thinking of the shopping that I failed to do today. Yuri called earlier saying that she is in Daejeon with her boyfriend, Nickhun. Meaning, no Hyo-Yul shopping sprees, but the trip… oh  my…. It’s coming too fast and Yuri had been my shopping buddy ever since. Yes, how cruel life can be when your only companion/sister/bestfriend was up and about and hooking up with her prince. Poor me.

 

“Don’t you like your pasta? You want something else?”

 

Looking up, I saw Junho staring at me. I sheepishly smiled and,

 

“Nope, the pasta’s fine. I’m just thinking of something else.”

 

“You want to talk about it?”

 

I looked at him and his sincere expression puzzled me…

 

“Nah… nothing interesting. How about you? Why did you choose to go with me on your birthday? You could have spent it with family.”

 

“They’re in Busan and I’m the only one here in Seoul but they called and greeted me earlier.”

 

“Oh so that’s why, you just made me your substitute. By the way, when did you transfer in that condo unit?”

 

My questioning led to other more questions. I learned that he works in an advertising agency, same with Yuri, that he was the middle child and a graduate of CSB. His family formerly lived in Seoul but when his father decided to open up a furniture business, they went to Busan and opted to stay there for good.

 

I was able to learn too that he saw me at Yuri’s party, but haven’t got the chance to meet that night. Summing it up, conversing with Junho was a refreshing take on what could have been but another boring day. The way his eyes lit up whenever he speaks was something that I wished I had these days.

 

“How about you Hyoyeon-sshi.”

 

“Huh? What about me?”

 

“What are your interests? Aside from being the smart-looking and pretty Kim Hyoyeon, what keeps you busy? And don’t you dare say work. I mean, don’t you have a... boyfriend?”

 

“Hahaha, You know what Junho-sshi, you should have stopped at the word pretty, I might as well be happy with it, haha!”

 

“Not even, just asking. I mean, I’m just curious because… uhm… never mind, I’m becoming nosy. Sorry.”

 

I appreciated that he stopped asking… that he opted to not continue… but upon seeing his face…looking down, seemingly abashed by his questioning... I felt maybe there’s nothing wrong if I’d give a response,

 

“I don’t have a boyfriend because… I’m waiting for someone.”

 

 

***************

 

Comment & Subscribe!