Chapter 23

Neighbors

Chapter 23!

 

Love was never easy. But it is supposed to be… it should feel easy.

 

Anger was my nemesis; the vial that turned that knob of senselessness thus making me drank that treacherous fluid.

 

I was disloyal to my heart and hurting her, distrusting the only woman who kept my heart alive, was the price I paid…

 

But today, I am here to alter every pain and tear. As I stepped inside the office, as I saw those happy faces at work… I knew that I was home… and that I am seeing her… I am about to see her, again.

 

“Hey, bro, ready to work?” A co-worker asked. I simply nodded.

 

A few more steps and finally, I reached my personal desk. I sat and pulled one drawer. In it lies a token of hope… the picture that sealed that ever pretty face- Hyoyeon’s.

 

I smiled at the thought of me going home later… knocking on her front door with a bouquet of red tulips. She adored them.

 

“Well, well, well, look who’s back!” It was Yuri, her brows raised, donning that teasing smirk.

 

“Good morning, Yuri!”

 

“Good morning your face, where have you been? YOU, I hate you. You made my best friend cry. Hmp!”

 

I let out a soft chuckle while closing the drawer. I then started getting the pile of papers atop my desk.

 

“Yuri, good morning, haha!”

 

“Okay I’ll go, I know that you don’t want us to bother you… but seriously Junho, please talk to her. She needs you.”

 

I looked at Yuri. She was definitely right. We need to talk.

 

“I will see her tonight, and yes, Ms. Kwon, I miss your best friend. In fact, I miss her so badly that I can’t wait to start these reports so I could head home early, If not only you bothering me hahaha!”

 

“Ouch, Mr. Lee. Okay, okay, I’ll go ahead, wait, have you seen my Khunnie?

 

“He’s at the corridor, talking with Ms. Han. And they’re so sweet, haha!”

 

“HA.HA! Not funny! But I’ll kill him if that’s true, okay bye!”

 

She was about to leave me in peace when she turned around and said, “Hey, Junho. It’s nice to have you back. Hyoyeon will be okay now… Do your best later okay, haha!”

 

As I watch her leave… the more I miss her best friend… the way she laughs, the way she greets me with a sweet, indulging morning kiss… yeah… I haven’t been kissed properly since I left… and I found myself breaking out in a smile with the mere thought of Hyoyeon and smooches.

 

Time… the more you wanted it fast… the slower it gets. I can’t help but envision this pair of arms welcoming me for a full embrace.

 

It was almost three in the afternoon… my work is done for the day and I am just waiting, anticipating seeing her.

 

“Junho, let’s have some snack, let’s go.” A co-worker offered. I then stood up, went outside for some fresh air when I saw Nickhun and Yuri.

 

“Bro, Let’s go out, our boss is not here yet. Let’s buy some cigarettes.”

 

We’re on our way outside the building when someone called out my name, “Junho! Junho!”

 

I looked back and saw her… the random woman who I had slept with. I could not even recall her name.

 

I remained unfazed… though having Yuri here made everything more uncomfortable.

 

The woman moved towards us… strutting her way towards a sea of people who gave off their most curious glances. I could not blame them. She was definitely a stranger inside a supposedly formal venue. With such a skimpy outfit that left little to any man’s imagination, highlighting almost every imaginable curve, alongside her heavy makeup and overly done hairdo.

 

What were you thinking, Junho… tsk, tsk…

 

“Yeah, what was I thinking.”

 

“What did you say?”

 

Yuri butted in while giving me the look. The look that implies- who the heck is she and do you know her, Junho? Hyoyeon would be pissed… yeah, that sort.

 

“Hi! Do you work here?” She continued.

 

“Yeah.”

 

She might have noticed my discomfort that she resorted to being more specific… much to my dismay of course.

 

“I forgot to ask your number, coz you left so early. It’s been awhile, wanna come over some time?”

 

I pretended to not see Yuri’s glare and Nickhun’s curious stance upon hearing what she just said. I am doomed.

 

“So, are guys close?” Uh oh… Yuri was on her not-so-good mood.

 

The woman in question grinned, faced Yuri with that triumphant look plastered on her face. That gave me away. Again, I am really, really doomed.

 

“Let’s just say… we had a great time. Anyway, nice seeing you again, Junho.”

 

“What’s that huh?”

 

“Yuri, stop it.”

 

Nickhun intervened but it wasn’t enough to end Yuri’s tirade. The more it ignited her rant. 

 

“Don’t you dare stop me, you friend here thought that I was stupid. Vacation really? I’m telling you, Junho, you better fix that. Or else I will tell that to Hyoyeon.”

 

“Hey baby, don’t over react. He might just know her from somewhere, right bro?”

 

With Yuri giving me that fierce glare and with Nickhun trying to pacify her… I wished that it never happened… how I wished that I never entered that bar, drank too much and ended up in some stranger’s bed.

 

================

 

Humming… singing lullabies in my head like a free-willed kid…that’s us, haha!

 

I was arranging the bunch of red tulips that Junho gave me when he visited last night.

 

We had dinner. We made amends and what came after was a mix of bursting fireworks and dazzling lights.

 

Finally, we’re okay… finally…

 

“Baby, I’m sorry.”

 

Apologies, they had to be given so that we can restart. It took another hour of discussion and lengthy expressions of disappointment, differences even dislikes.

 

I listened as he uttered his words. All the while battling that urge to close in on him and kiss him hard.

 

For really, it no longer mattered to me who’s right or wrong… I am done with my lies… I am finished with Hyukjae, his brother or my past. And despite me being at the receiving end of it all, I listened…understood his sentiments… opened my heart and mind for another round of sincere pleas. I caved in. I chose to cave in.

 

This is what I want… this is what my heart wants and I knew it far too soon…

 

“I love you. Whatever we have now, I don’t want to lose it, Hyo.”

 

Those were the words that my heart willingly took… sans the worries and past grievances… those words were too simple yet real to absorb. I drank it in my system leaving no further room for pride or ego.

 

Two knocks echoed and I received it warmly thinking that it was him that would greet on the other side of the door,

 

“Nice, he’s not late.” I thought.                                           

 

“Yuri, what brought you here, you don’t have a date?”

 

“Is Junho here?”

 

“Nope. Not yet… But you know what? We’re finally okay!!!”

 

I resumed arranging the flowers then afterwards headed to the kitchen. Yuri followed suit.

 

“Are you hungry? I have pasta. Wait here; I’ll just reheat the sauce.”

 

Hyoyeon… I noticed how happy she is today. With her back turned, I simply observed how she gracefully moved in her domestic domain. Her glow explains everything- she finds her happiness with him.

 

Deep in my thoughts I heard her say, “Hey, are you okay? You’re so quiet!”

 

“Huh? Ah, well, maybe I’m just tired.”

 

“Aigoo, Tired? Or maybe you just have another lover’s quarrel again with Nickhun. But okay, tell me everything about it. Here, dig in.”

 

She served me a plate of pasta Bolognese. A few minutes passed and here she was humming to an old familiar tune, with a grater on one hand and a block of fresh parmesan on the other.

 

“Here, I know you wanted more cheese. Eat now… are you sure you’re okay?”

 

She was not only happy… but as I looked at her lovely eyes and gazed upon her fresh face, how could I even bring myself to tell her my suspicions, when I had no credible evidence to back it up.

 

“Hyo?”

 

This time she was sitting right across from me, with those expressive eyes of hers seeping right through me.

 

“Yes?”

 

 Her joyous tone reminded me of what I was about to break- a hopeful heart.

 

“So you talked already. What did he tell you? I mean, what did he exactly tell you?”

 

She took a forkful of pasta in .

 

“Hmmm… he asked for a second chance. He said he was shocked that’s why he needed time to think. You know that it is also my fault, I didn’t tell him properly. But we’re okay now. We already work this out. That’s why Yuri you don’t have to worry, I’m in good hands. I love him. He loves me. Couldn’t get any better right?”

 

Sigh, Hyoyeon… you are making this more difficult.

 

“Yuri, your food, wait, I’ll make you some garlic bread. You have to finish that or else I’ll get mad at you.”

 

She was enjoying every bit of this day like a kid wheeling around via her favorite bike. I was usually direct and straightforward with Hyoyeon.  But this time, upon seeing her taking her second shot at love, who am I to deny her the gratification. I’m maybe a sometimes but I am no wicked witch. I loved her like a sister. Perhaps, I had to trust Junho more. That he would do the right thing… that he had not done anything wrong.

 

 

***************

 

I feel bad for Hyoyeon when she finds out the truth😣

btw guys, just a heads up... The ending of this fic might be really unexpected but please continue to read it until the end okay!

Comment & Subscribe!