Hallucinations

One Of Us (Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          The next day was quiet as everyone relaxed and enjoyed the nature around them. The day was undisturbed and calm, but also tense and eerily silent. Aera sat on a rock and looked out into a meadow with that sinking feeling she didn’t like in the pit of her being. A full moon was rising and they all knew it. This would be the first full moon she would spend with other people and not locked up on her own.

          “Hey.” Chen walked next to the rock and looked up at her hugging her knees.

          “Hey.” She half smiled.

          “How are you feeling?”

          “I can feel it… but I feel even more…”

          “In less control?” she nodded. “You’ll be ok. Luhan and Kris always have everything under control. We tie Chanyeol to a tree just to be sure though…”

          “Are you serious?” her eyes widened.

          “Yeah and we’re sure to get a really strong tree.” He tried to joke but no one laughed.

          “Chen, have you ever turned?”

          “Me? Oh yeah, plenty of times. Not now but I used to.” He answered calmly and looked up to see a still distressed Aera. “What about you?”

          “Once… I hated it.” She could remember the feeling like it was yesterday. The pain of her body changing its own form and the animal instincts taking over and clouding your humanity. “What if I change tonight?”

          “I will be right here to make sure you don’t.” he put a hand on hers securely.

          “I was lucky the first time. I almost didn’t change back. What if I don’t change back?”

          “Then I’ll move to the forest with you and wait a whole other lunar cycle for you to change back.” He smiled warmly, keeping a light heart.

          “How can you be so calm?” she admired it and envied him completely for it.

          “I’ve had good teachers and friends. I have confidence.” He put a finger under her chin and lifted it slightly. “Have some confidence in yourself. You have more control than you think.”

          “Chen…” she muttered. His dark orbs stared into hers, both having a slight red tint. She leaned in slightly and felt his breath tickling her lips. Just as she was closing her eyes and holding her breath a voice interrupted.

          “Aera.” She looked to see Chen as if she had never moved closer to him.

          “Oh no.” she whispered.

          “What?” he looked at her in confusion, oblivious to what she had just thought she saw.

          “The hallucinations.” She felt her heart racing and breathing becoming uneven.

          “Hallucinations?”

          “You guys don’t have hallucinations?” she was shocked at the news she heard. She always had hallucinations as the moon made its way across the sky.

          “Kris!” Chen swooped Aera in his arms and ran her back to the campsite nearby.

          “What’s wrong?” Kris ran over seeing the girl in his arms.

          “I’m fine.” She tried to get out of Chen’s arms but he refused to let her go.

          “She has hallucinations.” He informed and set her on the bed of the truck so Kris could look at her.

          “Are you feeling dizzy?”

          “N-no, I just, can I breathe?” she begged.

          “I think we’re going to need those extra chains.” He told Luhan.

          “You’re chaining her to a tree?” Chen asked with wide eyes.

          “We don’t know what she could do. Her hallucinations could get way out of hand. For now, just watch her.” He ordered and walked over to talk to Luhan.

          Aera sat there with her feet dangling off the end of the truck as she stared at the ground. The leaves were beginning to shake as if they were all vibrating cell phones. Chen put a hand on her knee and made her flinch and gasp.

          “Calm down, it’s just me. Do you need anything?”

          Aera stared at him for a while, her eyes tracing every feature of his handsome face. She was so lost in everything about him, surprised that she didn’t notice how attractive and alluring he was. She reached out a hand and gently grazed her hand from his hair down his cheek while observing him. He stared at her with sudden passion that didn’t take her by surprise.

          “Aera.” His voice was a husky whisper. “Aera.” He said again in a different tone and she blinked to see him standing there.

          “I-I… Can you call Baekhyun here please?” she asked.

          “Sure.” He was unsure but went to get him.

          “You ok?” he asked. His facial expression was slightly distorted as if he were feeling strange as well.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter