Sam-One Last Gift :: Part Two

Lunafly Scenarios

When her parent arrived that day they tried to comfort her in any way they could think of, but nothing seemed to be working. Ever since the doctor told her the news, KaeMi couldn’t stop crying. Her mother had called her work and somehow managed to get the next two weeks off to stay by KaeMi’s side. Though inconsolable, KaeMi refused to tell her parents about Sam. The last thing she wanted to do was tell him she was dying knowing how much it would hurt him.

The next few days flew by in a huge blur. It’s Sunday morning, and usually KaeMi’s parents take her down to the chapel with them, but today was different than usual. Those other days they had no idea that KaeMi’s lifeline wasn’t as long as they thought. Instead they go by themselves, leaving KaeMi alone in her room.

Even though it’s only been a few days, KaeMi already feels considerably worse. All she has to do is sit up and she’s completely worn out. Sam texts her everyday, but KaeMi doesn’t hold any long conversations with him. She’s afraid to spend time with him knowing she only has a select few number of days left to be with him.

The television is playing a new historical drama, but KaeMi isn’t listening to it. The curtains are drawn giving the room a dark, almost eerie feel, what with the handful of machines that KaeMi’s hooked up to.

KaeMi watches the ceiling, letting her mind wander. I only have a week, maybe less, left to spend with Sam. Even though I can’t tell anything, maybe I should do something for him. He’s always getting me something, or singing me something with his guitar-

She suddenly sits up, an idea popping into her mind. That’s it! I should make him a guitar! …But, I’m confined to the hospital. How in the world can I make him a guitar?

As she sits thinking it over, her parents come back from the 10 o’clock service dressed in their version of Sunday best.

“Hey sweetie,” Her mom walks over and gives her a kiss on the cheek. “Feeling any better today?”

“KaeMi shakes her head. “No, but there isn’t as much pain today.”

“That’s great!” Her mom smiles, sitting down beside her.

After a moment of silence passes and her mother starts her knitting, KaeMi breaks the silence with a question. “Mom? Would it be possible to go home?”

“Why, sweetheart, you can’t! At home you can’t get the help you need when you’re here!”

“But Mom-” KaeMi was cut off when the doctor appeared in the room, holding a clipboard. A younger nurse was behind him, and as soon as they were completely in the room she goes off and starts adjusting her monitors.

“Doctor,” KaeMi starts, but her mom takes over for her.

“Sir, we were wondering if we could take KaeMi home for the next week.”

He gives her mom a sceptical look, then shakes his head. “I’m sorry, we can’t do that. She needs major medical attention that we can only provide here in the hospital.”

“But what does it really matter? Everything you guys do won’t stop the progression of the cancer. Nothing can stop it from killing our daughter. Wouldn’t it be an easier passing if we just took her home and let her be comfortable?”

“Well,” The doctor starts, but isn’t sure how to continue. Finally he replies, “I guess we can arrange that.”

KaeMi looks at her mom in surprise. “I can go home?!”

“Yes, you can go home,” Her mom smiles, leaning over and hugging her tightly.

“Mom,” KaeMi chuckles, “What are you doing?”

“Oh, nothing,” She lets go and turns to the doctor. “So how early can she be released?”

“I’ll have to talk to some people, but probably as soon as this afternoon.”

“Really? That’s great!” KaeMi grins, looking at her father who was standing quietly in the corner. “Dad, did you hear that! I get to go home!”

He smiles, nodding. “That’s great sweetie!”

After a few more check-up like things, the doctor and nurse disappeared, leaving the family alone to celebrate.

KaeMi’s mom grabs the suitcase out of the closet and starts packing up all of KaeMi’s belongings. The room itself kind of took on a similar look to her room at home, covered in picture frames of family and friends and other knickknacks that reminded her of home. Now she doesn’t need them to remind her of home. She’ll actually be home for the first time in months.

Her mom grabs the picture of KaeMi and Sam from when they were 7. Sam is holding his first guitar and KaeMi’s standing beside him with a giant grin taking up most of her face. “Do you want me to call Sam and tell him that you’re coming home?”

“No!” KaeMi says too quickly. Her mom looks at her, confused. “I mean no, I’ll tell him myself.”

“Alright. You could’ve just said so,” KaeMi’s mom smiles and goes back to packing.

Once everything is packed, KaeMi’s excitement skyrockets knowing she’s going home. As the family is eating lunch the doctor knocks on the door and peaks in before going in all the way. “Good afternoon.”

“Afternoon,” KaeMi’s dad replied, setting down his tray.

“I’ve come to inform you that you guys can take KaeMi home at 2pm this afternoon. If you can come to the desk by 1:30pm and fill out the discharge papers, you should be able to leave before the clock even strikes 2.”

“That’s wonderful! Thank you so much!” Her mom exclaimed, hugging her husband. “We can go home!”

Time passed quickly until the discharge. KaeMi’s dad goes down and filled out the papers while her mother helps her get changed.

“It feels great to be able to wear real clothes again.” KaeMi says, hugging herself. “Just wonderful!”

“No more hospital gowns.” Her mom smiled, grabbing the suitcase. “Come on, let’s head down there so we can leave as soon as your father finished up at the front desk.”

With her mother’s support, KaeMi makes her way down to the first floor. She looks out the front door and gasps at the sight she sees. From her room, all she could see was the sky and the neighboring buildings. Now she’s watching as cars drive by and people walk with no place to go. “Wow,” She mutters. “I’ve missed this.”

The papers are finalized and together the family heads for home, a place KaeMi can’t wait to see again.

When they arrive, KaeMi gets out of the car and lets herself bask in the sunlight. Her house looks exactly the same as it had two months ago when she was admitted to the hospital. The white siding shines in the sun, and the flowers are all in full bloom. All of the trees are full and green, creating an overhang over the front yard that makes the house look as though it should be in a fairy tale.

KaeMi takes a few steps forward, but her legs wobble, threatening to give out on her. Her father comes up and wraps an arm around her waist and leads her inside.

When he sits her down, KaeMi grabs his arm and pulls him down next to her.

“What is it sweetheart? Are you feeling okay?”

“For now. I was just wondering, can you do me a favor? There’s this thing I’d like to do…”

———————————————————————————————————

It’s Wednesday and KaeMi is sitting out in her father’s shop, watching as he cuts out the last piece for the guitar. “There, I think that’ll do it.” He sets the piece on the table next to the other finished parts. “Are you sure you don’t need help putting it together?”

“Dad, I’ve been watching and helping you build guitars from scratch for years. I think I know what I’m doing.” KaeMi gets up slowly and shuffles over to the table.

Her father smiles weakly and pats her back. “Don’t work for too long. You still have to be very careful about how much energy you use.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t,” She watches as he leaves, shutting the door behind him. KaeMi sets off to work, gluing and nailing the pieces together one by one at a turtle’s pace. By suppertime she has the body completely put together, and the neck fully assembled. KaeMi had to sit down numerous times to catch her breath so she could keep working.

She got as far as staining it before she had to stop for the night. Her side is pulsing in pain and she’s so dizzy that she doesn’t know how much longer she can stand. Her mom comes and gets her for supper, but she’s not hungry and goes straight to bed.

By the time Friday rolls around, KaeMi can hardly stand, let alone work on her project for a short period of time. She has stopped doing anything else that was non-essential so she could put what little time and energy she had left to finish this guitar. She knew she didn’t have much time left.

It was almost complete and all she has left to do was hand paint on the details on the neck and attach the strings. It was almost 3 and KaeMi was all but out of fuel. Her hands shook as she finished the last swirl. She attached the strings and sat down on the couch. Today was like no other. She was extremely tired and sitting down didn’t seem to do it for her.

Out of nowhere KaeMi got this feeling in the back of her mind. Worried about it, she quickly grabbed her detail brush and put one last touch on the back of the body.

It was finally finished. KaeMi smiles and, with the guitar in hand, she stands up and starts toward the house, but then her vision turns black and pain explodes in her side. All of the oxygen in her lungs is away by the pain so she can’t even scream. Then as fast as it had come it was gone and for a moment she felt like herself again.

KaeMi sits down and leans back against the table, pulling the guitar into her lap. Her breathing slows and she closes her eyes, letting the darkness engulf her. Her chest rises one last time, then falls as her final breath fills the air, her heart stopping for good.

Sam comes walking down the driveway, excited to see his beloved KaeMi again. He had heard from her mom that she was allowed to come home and as soon as he was free he came over. In his hands was a small, blue velvet box with a heart-shaped necklace inside.

He knocks on the front door and waits until KaeMi’s mom answers. “Sam!” She says, happy to see him. “Hi! KaeMi’s out in the shop.”

“Thanks!” He starts toward the garage, turning the box in his hands. She’s going to love this! He thought, a smile playing on his lips. He opens the door and calls, “KaeMi-ah, guess who’s-” He stops dead in his tracks at the sight of KaeMi in front of him. “KaeMi-ah!: He yells, rushing over to her side.

He puts a hand to her neck, checking for a pulse. When he doesn’t feel anything, are hear her breathing, he bursts into tear. “Oh KaeMi-ah!” He goes to put his head in her lap, but is stopped by the handcrafted guitar.

Picking it up carefully, Sam looks it over in awe, tears still streaming down his cheeks. His runs his hands down the curves of the body, admiring the intricate detailing on the neck. He flips it over and his eye catches something written at the bottom.

“To my dearest Sam,

I thought it would be easier this way, but I was wrong. I wish I could’ve spent my last days with you by my side, but I know that, no matter what happens from here on out, I will always have a place in your heart. Live your life to the fullest and don’t ever stop singing.

Love,
KaeMi”

“KaeMi-ah!” Sam screams, hugging the guitar to his chest. “Please, don’t leave me,” He begs, but deep down in his heart, he knows there's nothing more he can do. Except sing.