Sam-One Last Gift :: Part One

Lunafly Scenarios

KaeMi is sitting patiently on her hospital bed, glancing at the clock every few minutes. It was almost time for Sam, her all-time best friend and crush, to arrive for his daily visit. She’s worried though, because during the past week she has had barely enough energy to eat, let alone get up from her bed. Just lifting a cup to take a sip of water has become a struggle. She had just finished going through another round of check-ups, hoping that everything was still going well.

 

There’s a knock on the door. KaeMi looks over and grins as Sam walks in holding a huge bouquet of yellow tulips, her favorite. “Hey Kae!” He smiles, placing the flowers on her bedside table. KaeMi slowly sits herself up to smell them, but she can’t seem to make it on her own. Sam’s smile falters for a minutes as he helps you sit up. “Are you feeling okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m just a little tired. I had a check-up earlier and it wore me out, that’s all.” She smiles back, leaning forward and wrapping her arms around her friend. “I’m so glad you’re here. I thought you were going to be late for a little while there.”

 

“Sorry, there was a huge line at the Florist’s.” He surprises her by pecking her forehead gently before pulling up his chair to sit beside her. KaeMi’s cheeks are beet red, but Sam doesn’t seem to notice or mind. “Do anything exciting today?”

 

“Not really. Just the check-up. The nurse tried to tell me a joke, but it wasn’t very funny. She really needs to find some better jokes. I’m pretty sure she gets hers from her grandfather,” KaeMi chuckles, sitting back against her pillows. She runs her hands down her pink pajama pants legs to smooth them out a bit and settled back comfortably.

 

Sam grabs her hand and holds it for a moment before he suddenly gets up, causing the chair to almost fall over. “I almost forgot! Wait here,” He runs out of the room and no more than a minute later returns, breathless, with his battered guitar case. He sets it down on the ground and pops it open, revealing the guitar. It’s body has seen better days, and the pick guard has completely fallen off, leaving a pale outline in it’s wake.

 

“Sam, what are you still doing with that thing? I thought you said you were getting a new one!” KaeMi exclaims.

 

“I was, but something came up and I needed to use some of my guitar money. It’s okay for now, but I really do need a new one.” He absentmindedly strums a few cords quietly as he talks. “But nevermind that, I have something to give you.”

 

“Something to give me?” KaeMi asks, not quite sure what to think. “What is it?”

 

“Listen.” With that Sam begins playing a few cords. It takes a few seconds, but then KaeMi recognizs the song to be Justin Timberlake’s ‘Mirror’.

 

“Aren't you somethin' to admire, cause your shine is somethin' like a mirror

And I can't help but notice, you reflect in this heart of mine

If you ever feel alone and the glare makes me hard to find

Just know that I'm always parallel on the other side.”

 

KaeMi closes her eyes and listens to Sam’s voice as he pours his heart and soul into the chorus.  

 

“Cause I don't wanna lose you now

I'm lookin' right at the other half of me

The vacancy that sat in my heart

Is a space that now you hold

Show me how to fight for now

And I'll tell you baby, it was easy

Comin' back into you once I figured it out

You were right here all along,”

 

The meaning of the words hit KaeMi and, against her will, tears begin to fall down her cheeks. Sam continues to sing and doesn’t notice them. His voice is dripping with emotion that makes her want to just break down and cry in his arms.

 

When he finally finishes, KaeMi opens her eyes and watches as Sam looks at her and recognizes the tears streaming down her face. With his guitar slung over his shoulders, he jumps up and sits on the bed and pulling KaeMi into his arms. She wraps her shaking arms around him, crying into his shoulder.

 

“Oh Sam,” She breathes out, her voice shaking just as bad as the rest of her body.

 

“KaeMi-ah,” He whispers into her ear, trying to look her over. “Are you alright? Why are you crying? Where does it hurt? Do I need to get a doctor? KaeMi-ah, please answer me!” He cries, holding her closer.

 

After a moment KaeMi pulls herself together enough to let Sam go and look up at him. “I’m okay. Sam, that was beautiful.” She sniffs, wiping her nose.

 

Sam cracks a small smile and takes his thumbs and takes away the tears. “You’re the only one who I would ever sing that song to. You’re more special to me than you even know.”

 

A new batch of tears forms in KaeMi’s eyes. “You have got to be the best friend in the entire world!”

 

Sam’s smile fades a bit, his expression turning serious. “I’d really like it if we could be more than friends.”

 

KaeMi’s eyes widen. “...W-what?”

 

“KaeMi-ah, I like you,” Sam says, grabbing her hand. “There isn’ any other girl I could imagine living the rest of my life with.”

 

“Sam,” KaeMi stutters, not sure of what to say. “I...I like you too.”

 

He smiles and leans in, kissing you softly on the lips. It only lasts a fraction of a second, but to KaeMi it feels like a lifetime. As they part, KaeMi suddenly feels dizzy, her vision blurring around the edges. Sam says something, but all she can hear is an annoying buzzing in her ears. As soon as it comes, everything disappears and all she feels is drained.

 

“KaeMi-ah? Did you hear what I said?” Sam asks, looking confused.

 

She shakes her head, “Sorry, I didn’t. .What did you say?”

 

“I said that I have to head out. I have to go pick some things up before I go home. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” Sam leans in a gives you a quick peck, a smile playing at his lips. “Sleep well,”

 

“Bye Sam,” KaeMi puts on a smile, but she’s not sure of how convincing it looks. Her body is shaking and she’s not sure how much longer she can sit straight.

 

He waves and walks off, closing the door tightly behind him. The bit of energy KaeMi has left dissipates into thin air and she collapses back on her pillows. Her breathing is labored as if she had run around the building 5 times before lying back down.

 

Just as she regains a bit of her strength, KaeMi’s doctor walks in, a forced smile plastered on his face. “Good afternoon KaeMi. How are you feeling?”

 

“Completely drained.” She admits. “I thought I was doing better. How come I feel worse than before?”

 

The doctor stands there for a moment, then he removes his glasses. His expression is replaced with a frown and his eyes turn sad. “KaeMi, we just received the results of your tests. We have found that the cancer had spread to some your other major organs. It...it doesn’t look good sweetheart.”

 

KaeMi just sat there, not sure what to think. “So, then, I have to have more chemo then, right? and, more medications, right? It’ll just be a bit harder, right?”

 

“Well, pancreatic cancer is one of the most terminal cancers out there. Most who are diagnosed with it don’t live through it.”

 

“So, what does that mean?”

 

“Originally you had about a year left, but now that it has spread...” He stops for a moment, finding it hard to continue. “KaeMi, you probably only have a couple weeks left to live, maybe less.”

 

KaeMi is completely shocked. 2 weeks? But, but what about Sam? I can’t just...leave him! We just confessed to each other. I can’t just...die right now!

 

“Why?” KaeMi whispers. “Why?!”

 

“I’m so sorry KaeMi,” The doctor seemed near tears himself. He said his goodbyes and left, shutting the door lightly behind him.

 

KaeMi’s phone beeps twice. KaeMi reached over to pick it up, but almost dropped it. With her shaking hands she unlocked her phone and opened the new text message.

 

"Hey KaeMi-ah! Something came up, so I won’t be able to visit you at all this next week. Take care and don’t pick on the nurses too much!~

<3 Sam"

KaeMi’s hands shook as she read the message over three times before finally setting the phone down. Tears are falling hard from her eyes. She can’t bring herself to reply. She sets the phone back on the table and covers her eyes. Why me? Why now?