Chapter 5

The Wolf and the Beauty

Chanyeol gave him a tour of the forest. There was the old oak tree where leaders of different packs meet every full moon; the long river borders that separates each pack; the old bears cave that no one dares to go in; the "field of red" where cannibal wolves lives. Basically, a introduction of where to go and where not to. Baekhyun noticed how he would reach Chanyeol's hand whenever they crossed a barrier; how he would immediately hide behind Chanyeol when he hears something suspicious; how Chanyeo would pat his back and comfort him... Shaking his head, he told himself not to think too much.

They headed back to the pack, and Baekhyun saw something strange: young women were coming out of caves side by side, looking nervously at each other, sneaking glances at the wolves that were gathering in front of them. Baekhyun watched as Kris steps out of his cave and eyed the crowd.

"We thank you for attending this convention," he announced. "You all must know how important this is for the wolves."

Baekhyun nudged Chanyeol. "What's going on?" he whispered.

"The women will get paired up with the wolves, and they will have baby wolves.." said Chanyeol bluntly, like there was nothing wrong with that.

Baekhyun blinked. This is just too much, these poor, innocent girls, with an amazing future in front of them, gets wasted for the wolves.

Kris continued explaining the process but Baekhyun didn't want to hear it. "Where do these girls come from?" he asked.

"They come from the native tribes near here. Every year, each tribe will elect three girls as a scarification to the pack." explained Chanyeol.

Baekhyun closed his eyes and sighed. Wildlife, is wild indeed.

The pairing started, and Baekhyun watched as each girl gets paired up with the wolves. Neither looked happy, and the couples disappeared one by one into the forest. There were some older women standing behind them, watching the event, shaking their heads and sighing.

"Who are those women?" asked Baekhyun, pointing the older ladies.

"There were the former wolf moms. After having the baby, the turn into a wolf themselves. Then they join a pack for female werewolves. They may sound weak, but they're tougher than you think." said Chanyeol. "I remembered when my mom joined that pack after nursing me. I was about 2 years old, I think. I never saw her again."

Chanyeol dipped his head down sadness, mourning over his mom. Baekhyun rubbed Chanyeol's back and tried to comfort him.

"Hey, I'll never see my mom again, so don't be so sad." he said, his aching as those words escape his mouth. Reality hit him hard. He knows he'll never see his mom again...

...

The two left the scene and went to find Luhan, who is currently training the young wolves. Baekhyun was surprised to see Sehun sticking so close to Luhan, when he had been so annoyed when Baekhyun first saw him. 

"Ahem!" coughed Chanyeol. Sehun looked up and immediately parted from Luhan, pretending he had been practicing his hunting skills. Luhan looked awkwardly at Chanyeol.

"Oh, you're finally here, Chanyeol." said Luhan. Then he saw Baekhyun. "I take it you're Sehun's new roommate?"

Baekhyun nodded. Luhan smiled at him warmly, but he saw a hint of jealousy in Luhan's eyes. Another pair of gay wolves....

"Let's begin with last week's lesson so Baekhyun catch on." said Luhan. "Are you......yet?"

Chanyeol answered for Baekhyun. "He just started on the medicine today." 

"Oh." said Luhan. "Well, then, I guess we can do the easy stuff today since you can't transform yet." 

Baekhyun looked confusedly at the two. What had Luhan been trying to say? Why are there so many secrets here??

Before he can think of anything else, the rest of the pack had ran into the woods, leaving him behind. He looked around for help when he saw a wolf that resembled the looks of Chanyeol. The wolf jerked his head towards the front and motioned him to run with him. Baekhyun started running, with Chanyeol beside him, leading the way. He felt himself being lighter than before when he ran, and faster as he sprinted across the forest. It's probably a wolf thing to run so fast...

When thy met with the rest, the others had been resting for a while and had already started doing their own things for Luhan had ended the lesson. When Sehun saw them approach, he smirked in disdain and whispered something to the wolf next to him, and both of them had a great laugh. Baekhyun tried to ignore them and focused on catching his breath. 

Luhan shushed Sehun and the other wolf and he greeted Baekhyun. "Not bad. Didn't expect you to be so fast." he said, smiling at Baekhyun. For the first time since he got here, he smiled. From within his heart, he smiled because he felt happy.

Chanyeol caught the smile and happily rubbed his nose against Baekhyun's leg. Baekhyun patted Chanyeol's head back.

"Thank you." he whispered. 

...

Baekhyun took this chance to get to know who the trainees were. There was Kai, who is the fastest among them; Kyungsoo, who likes to gossip; Xiumin, who is a clean freak. The trainers were Luhan and Chen. Tao was an exception because he is trained by Kris personally so he doesn't train with the others. The rest of the pack were just as similar as they are, with trainers and trainees, but different training groups don't really meet with each other until the "216th Full Moon" exam day. When the young wolves reach 18, they would take a test and finally become an adult wolf, and they will get to train the younger wolves.

Baekhyun learned more about the pack as he had a nice conversation with the trainees. So not all of them are like Sehun, thought Baekhyun.

"What about Lay?" he asked. "Why isn't he a trainer?"

"He is one of the 'gifted ones', they say." said Kai. "Lay showed a special interest in healing and medicine and all that stuff when he was young, so he became an apprentice to learn the healing instead of training with us. When our last healer died, he took his place and became the healer of the pack." 

"Also known for being unusually close to our beta, Suho." said Kyungsoo, with a mischievious smile on his face.

"Beta?" asked Baekhyun.

"You know, the vice leader that sort of thingy. He's the leader when Kris isn't around." explained Chanyeol. Baekhyun nodded and gestured for Kyungsoo to go on. 

"Before Lay became an apprentice, they used to train together with Kris and Suho. Well, from what I heard, Lay and Suho were very close 'friends', like really really close. When Lay became an apprentice, Suho mourned for days in his cave. But he finally walked past the dark side of his life when Kris became leader." said Kyungsoo.

"Why?" asked Baekhyun.

"Well, there was rule before that banned the healers to be in love with the other wolves so they can focus on the most important thing: saving lives. But Kris and Suho were very good friends and he just couldn't see Suho so down like that every day, so he canceled the rule. Now those love birds owe Kris so much, they would do anything to please him. You should see them being such kiss-asses, it's unbelievable." 

Baekhyun and the others laughed. He didn't feel as lonely as he was when he first woke up in the cave, now he had made friends who doesn't seem scary at all. Maybe, he just might enjoy the life of being a wolf. 

Maybe.

...

A/N: I put in a little Sulay hope you don't mind>< I know this chapter is a bit boring and you're all asking for the process of transformation, but please don't be mad at me>< the process of transformation will be up soon!!! 

Also, I need a poster for this fic~~ I wonder if any of you would like to make one for me?? If you do I would really appreciate it:) a of course I would credit you~

And I wonder if you'd like to read a HunHan fic?? Been thinking about writing one...and I would use their characters in this fanfic!! Well just tell me if you'd like to read it or not :))