First Blood

Infinitely Dangerous

 

They were gathered around the television as the day winded down. “You seemed troubled.” L said surprising me. “Ah…ani.” I was hesitant in my answer. “Doesn’t sound like you are so sure yourself.” Sungyeol pointed out. “It’s just…I’m a little worried about my little sister. She’s been studying the states but she’s coming back soon and I don’t want my dad to use her for more money. I want to make sure she gets to my halmulhnee’s house safely.” I chewed on my bottom lip.

“Do you want us to go with you?” Woohyun asked concerned. “Ani, the guys are most likely still looking for me. I think I can sneak in and out but I can’t stay at my halmulhnee’s house because it would endanger them. It’s me they want…” I willed tears to come to my eyes.

“Don’t cry. You’re always welcome to stay here for a while. We aren’t here for most of the day but it’s safe. There are security guards downstairs.” Sunggyu said and I almost could giggle at how easy it was to convince them.

“Thank you!” I went forward and hugged him. He stiffened, but he awkwardly and gently patter my back. “It’s okay. You might also want to grab some of your clothes too. I don’t think you really want to wear our things for too long.” He added his breath tickling my ear. I nodded and sat back. “I’ll go now.” I said scrambling to my feet and to make it more believable I hit my knee on the table.

“Gwenchana?” Woohyun got up. “Ne, Ne.” I said and he walked me to the door and I left. Two blocks away Melina was waiting for me in her car. A sleek black Audi. “What’s so important, you’re pulling me from this temporarily.”

Melina sighed and put an envelope in my lap and started to drive. Opening the envelope I let out a hiss of disgust. “He sells little kids at a black market auction?!” I growled.

“Yeah and he needs to be taken care of tonight. There is word that he’s going to travel to Thailand soon and won’t be back. 'He’s not a nice man,' would be the understatement of the century.” Melina said bitterly.

“I would have done it myself but I know how much you hate scum like that and this mission is fresh and hot off the grill. I have something I need to check and will be flying to Paris after I take you back to Infinite’s place.” She explained.

“That’s fine. I’m going to enjoy this.” I said and looked into the back seat. “Everything you usually need is in there. Minji you need to be careful of his body guards. They are specially hired mercenaries. I know you can complete the job beautifully but they can hurt you if they get their hands on you.” She warned like a mother would.

“I’ll be fine. I’ll be back before you know it. “ I jumped into the backseat and changed into the long sleeve black sweater and black jeans. I slid my two favorite knives into my boots and put a gun on my hip. Tying my hair into a bun I got ready to do my job.

The black market auction was being held at an abandoned warehouse by the docks. Melina and I scouted out all the exits in a matter of minutes. “Good luck.” She whispered as she melted back into the shadows.

I let out a breath. “I wish I could just snipe him.” I mumbled to myself but I didn’t hesitate as I slipped into the warehouse and closer to my target. I probably wasn’t as good as Melina when it came to hiding but the whole place was dim and as I neared the auction space it got louder and louder. I scanned the assembly of people for the face I needed. I found him sitting in the front row, a crystal pocket watch.

My first thought was how many kids did he sell to buy the stupid thing. It would be chaos and suicide to shoot him here, I needed to get him alone.

I waited patiently like I always did and I finally got my chance when he got up to use the bathroom. Two of his bodyguards followed him and even though they weren’t buff, I could see their hardened coiled muscles.

That didn’t sway me though.  I slipped my gun to the back and covered it with my sweater. I neared the bathroom and they saw me coming but I acted like I was drunk, stumbling and using the wall for support. When I got close, they put out a hand to stop me. “You’re going to have to wait.” They said in a deep rumbling voice.

“But, I need to use the bathroom.” I pouted. When one of them reached for me to keep me from going forward, I slipped my knife out of my boot and stabbed him in the neck. Holding his neck, he went down, spurting blood everywhere, but he was definitely done. The other one though wasn’t as easy. Losing my element of surprise I had to face him head on.

He swung for me but he missed because I ducked and I came up with a punch of my own nailing his chin. It was really like hitting a wall because my fist throbbed after that. He gave me a smirk like he knew that he would get me soon but I smiled back flashing my teeth. He seemed to get angry at this and came at me. “Sloppy. Sloppy. Sloppy.” I muttered and kicked him the neck as his momentum caused him to keep going after he missed me. “!” He started throwing rapid punches and I blocked while moving back but he cornered me and he landed a punishing blow to my stomach. I coughed because he knocked the breath out of me, and he took this opening to punch me again this time on my cheek and I saw lights in my vision as I went to one side.

Gritting my teeth against the pain, I squatted ducking his third punch and grabbed my other knife and stabbed him deep in the thigh. I earned a kick for that form his good leg but I whirled out of reach and turned back slamming my elbow into his chest hopefully cracking some of his ribs.

He should have went for the killing blow when I was out of breath, he was stupid enough to make a mistake but I wasn’t. I grabbed my gun with my silencer and shot him in the middle of his forehead. He went down like a sack of hammers. Of course the fighting made my target come out. He was holding a gun trained at me and my gun was already trained on him.

“You’re going to be the one dying tonight, .”

“Do you guys have anything else to call a girl besides ?” I asked raising an eyebrow. I saw his muscles tense and I went to the side just as he shot at where my head used to be. I didn’t pause though and let three rounds of my own gun go hitting him neatly twice in the heart and one in the center of his forehead.

His mouth gaped open like a fish out of water and then he crumpled to the floor. “Boss!” I heard someone yell and the firing of a gun, ducking I ran towards the window down the hallway. Shots followed me every step and I felt one graze my shoulder. Hissing in pain, I dove out the window and straight into the ocean.

I dove a bit deeper and swam until I was near our meeting point before pulling myself out of the water. The cold water numbed my injuries but I realized that I was still bleeding from the graze on my shoulder. Melina wrapped me in a towel and helped me back to the car. We left the warehouse district.

“Is the bullet in you?” she asked voice calm. “No, just grazed. I feel like my cheek and stomach are on fire though.” I commented with a light tone.

“Well the bodyguard definitely fought well, just like you said, but I’m fine. You know I’ve had worse.” I said. When we got back to our condo, I took off my wet sweater and Melina cleaned and bandaged my wound. “It’s not deep. It just bled a lot.” She said handing me a warm container.

I laughed. “Did I tell you how much I love you?” I said and started inhaling the noodles.

“Stop eating so fast, you’re going to choke. You act like I don’t feed you enough.” She nagged, but it was with a smile. I knew she was more relieved that I was okay.

“I’ll go back to them tomorrow morning.” I said as I went to take a hot shower to get rid of the wet and cold sticking to my skin.

I curled up on the couch after my shower. “Get some rest. You did well today.” She kissed my forehead and went to bed. I flipped through random channels until my eyes got heavy and I let sleep take me.