The Piano

Rebound Relationship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

racheose: I only wanted to apologize for the late update since I had my thesis defense which went well thankfully. Thanks for reading my friend's fic :)

redblossom: okay .. i want to say thank you to racheos for helping me write this chapter and I think more slow updates in the future since work is my priority right now, but then 2 more chapters to go, right? almost done! :)) Thank you to my 260 subs. and 16 upvotes. I really appreciate it.

 

Jaejoong entered Kim Mansion’s music room that had been abandoned for years. It has been a long time since he visited, the last being when he was just fifteen years old. That day, he didn’t only say goodbye to the place but also to something he holds dear in his heart.

It was when he decided to pursue the dreams of his father for him to become the next president of their company. The same day he stopped playing music, giving up something he really wanted to pursue, turning his back away from the life he dreamed of.

He wanted to become a pianist, a very famous one known not only in Korea but also internationally. That was his dream when he was young, but he forced it away from his mind to make father proud of him and to fulfill everyone’s expectation.

The young man slowly walked towards the middle of room where a Yamaha Grand Piano stood, draped with white cloth. He reached for the dusty covering, took a deep breath and pulled the linen. It was still as shiny as before despite the dust and spider webs.

Jaejoong placed his hand on the lid and opened the casing, gently pressing the already out of tune keys. It's been years since the last but he could still feel that magnetic pull like from before. He dusted the pice of art and started to tune up, fixing the piano for fifteen minutes. After inspecting it and deeming it workable, he sat in front of it and played his favorite piece, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. 

He closed his eyes as the music brought back the past. He reminisced that time when he could freely play this piece with no problems, only thinking of the melody and what he really wanted. Just him and the piano.

The music stopped and he opened his eyes, surprised at the hot liquid streaming down his cheeks. He smiled, for after so many years it was still so fun. It still made him so happy being there in his own world, a place where he really belonged.

He ran his hands along the keys of the first piano he has ever bought with his savings. It was his biggest achievement and no one, not even his parents knew about his it or that room. The place was locked, located far away from the main house. It was also soundproofed so no one could hear him when he was playing.

Just like that piano’s existence, no one also knew that it was not the highest position he desires, but something he had locked away, abandoned in a secret room.

 

He remembered when he was only around ten. He secretly registered himself in piano lessons at Dong Bang High. It was free and was just a new program of the organization that he was already a part of.

From the very start when he entered school, his father, Siwon, told him that he would be the next heir of Kim Corporation and that he should only study business. That was what he did, but after joining the Piano Club at his school, he finally found his true calling. For once in his life, he wanted something for himself, something he wanted to achieve.

After his school hours, he would tell Sunggyu that he has extra courses when he was actually learning about the piano for two hours every day. The driver never asked any questions, patiently waiting for his young master to come out and then drive him home. Maybe Sungyu knew, for the driver was the sole person who was able to witness the happiness in Jaejoong's face every day, even if it was only for a while before they reach home.

Ms. Kim Taeyon, the piano instructor was very nice but she was also very strict. Mistakes weren’t allowed on practices. Although she was like that, she was also the only person who knew about his secret. She patiently taught him how to play the piano, and she even went as far as to help Jaejoong make excuses whenever Heechul called the school on why he was always late in getting home.

Ms. Kim was his savior. If not for her, maybe he would never experience something as happy and fun as playing and creating music. Maybe if she weren’t there, he wouldn’t ever try to dream.

Taeyon was the only person he could talk with about the piano and how much he loved it. They even used to secretly join piano competitions and luckily, his parents never found out. He won many awards. The trophies and the pictures, the memories, and the fun they had adorned his music room.

However, everything has its end. After 8 years of secretly playing the piano, his father enrolled him to extra business classes telling him that it was an advantage before going to a university. He was forced to stop pursuing his dreams.

His last day with Ms Taeyon had been a teary farewell. It hurt so much as he said goodbye to the only person who supported and knew the real Jaejoong. It was even more painful that she only nodded without stopping him and said that she’d always support him no matter what.

Since it was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter