Chapter nine

You and I

[ 8 years ago]

He was a sportsman for god sake!

Minho was be his luck in the charity’s showcase match up. He blamed his sunbae, Onew, for dragging him into participating for the event. It seemed an alumnus will be paired with a representative from the societies and clubs the fund raising were for. At first, he thought he was going to be paired with someone from his old sports club, but it turned out the alumni president thought that they should draw lots in order to determine which alumni member will be paired with a school rep. Out of all the luck, he was paired with a hobae from the dance club.

He found himself walking along the corridors of his old high school and he could see the spots where he used to spend his time with his good friends; Key, Onew hyung and Jonghyun hyung. Those were the best of time, he mused. Medical school was very lonely for him as the hours were long and the study load was heavy. He could barely squeeze gym time in his tight schedule, so he ended up doing them in the wee hours of the morning.

Of course, his roommates found time for partying and even dating but as he was single, he would rather spend time reading and revising. Not that he didn’t have his fair share of admirers. He would often get boxes of gifts and food from girls and more often than not, he would keep the food but the gifts were usually donated to charity every other month. The girls that paraded themselves in front of him were y, pretty and wealthy but right now, none of them interest him. Even though he was really sure that he was straight as an arrow, he has no interest in the opposite .

He found his way to the dance club which where he was supposed to meet Madam BoA and his partner for the charity showcase. The wooden door had a small glass pane at the top, so he could peer and see who was inside. He saw that Madam BoA was there, instructing somebody but he could not see who the person was because of the door’s position. The girl was tall and fair, judging by the form he had a glimpsed just now before she disappeared from his line of sight. Was that his partner? He wondered.

After taking a deep breath, he knocked on the door and waited to be summoned in.

“Yes. Come in! Ah! Are you Minho? Come closer, let me have a look at you, young man”, Madam BoA instructed.

“Anyonghaseyo! I’m Choi Minho” bowing in respect. After that,  he proceeded to do as he was instructed and stood in front of her.

Madam BoA inspected him from top to bottom and exclaimed suddenly, “Choha! Choha! I like it! You have a good built and excellent height. A pretty face too.”

“ Now, can you dance, my dear boy?” she asked.

Minho’s eyes became bigger and he said incredulously, “Bwo? Me? Dance?”

Only then he saw or to be more specific, he heard her first; a lanky young girl on his far right, laughing heartily at him. She was clutching her sides and it seemed she couldn’t make herself stop.

“Weiyo? Why are you laughing so hard? Aish! This girl, chongmal!” he asked the girl partly in anger and partly in embarrassment. Madam BoA was just looking at their interactions.

“Your eyes … Hahahah! Just now, your eyes Hahahah! They were sooo big! Hahahah! They looked like Hahahah! My stuffed frog”. By the time she finished explaining, the girl was already a helpless heap on the floor. She was laughing so hard that she had tears in her eyes. It seemed that she couldn’t stop laughing at him.

“Froggy! Hahahah! She said.

At first, Minho felt angry but as he looked at her laughing nonstop, with tears in her eyes, he started to understand her reaction. In honesty, it wasn’t the first time people called him froggy with regards to his big eyes. So, he just shrugged his shoulders and let the girl finish her course.

“That’s our Sulli.” Madam BoA gestured fondly to the girl.

“She laughs at everything or anything that one, and sometimes for the most obscure reasons. Mianhe.”

He just nodded and then took his time to really look at the laughing girl.

She was wearing a black leotard with a soft pink wrap-around on her waist. Her long hair was tied in chignon, which was why he could notice her long graceful neck. She has a very fair complexion, a small pretty face, pinkish cheeks and smiling eyes. But what made him looked a second longer was her lips. They were perfect. They looked deliciously plump and the slight sheen of the lip gloss she was wearing, coupled with a string of white pearly teeth, made his gaze linger for far longer than it should. 

Realizing he was staring at her, Sulli  stopped laughing and tried to catch her breath.

Suddenly Madam BoA clapped her hands in order to draw their attention to her. Both Sulli and stopped at what they were doing and gave their full attention to the teacher.

“Alright! I have done some discussion with the teacher in charge of the sports club and it has been decided that the both of you are going to do a modern dance for the showcase” she announced.

Minho was flabbergasted. He couldn’t school his reaction and it was written all over his face. As he was about to say something, Madam BoA cut him off saying, “ Minho, I was told that you are nimble when you’re on the soccer field and you had danced before during school presentations. Anyway, you have Sulli here to be your partner and she will help you out if I’m not around”.

“I was also told that you are very competitive. Why don’t you take this as a challenge. Hmm?” continued the teacher in the  I-don’t-take-no-for-an-answer tone.

There was nothing else Minho could say when the teacher said it that way except accepting the task.

“That’s settled then. Come and have a look at this video clip. This is what I had in mind for your show case. Of course, we will do some minor alteration to it so that it suits the theme of the dinner.” Madam BoA said while turning on the TV.