Chapter twenty seven

You and I

Minho was about to finish his ward rounds when he went pass a familiar corridor. His steps were slower and he seemed absorbed about something. The entourage behind him had to slow down their steps too and they started to wonder what was going on with their new head surgeon. Then he stopped suddenly in front of a room causing several doctors behind to collide into each other but he was oblivious to this. He then gestured to them that they were dismissed and to leave him alone.

They did as he ordered because after two weeks with him, they knew he was a quiet man and only spoke when needed. Though they were confused by his action, they didn’t say anything because they were happy to be released early. Everybody was relieved because by now Dr. Choi was famous with his killer questions during ward rounds and they quickly took off before he changed his mind.

Now that he was finally alone, he let himself touch the room’s door. The fateful door that separated him with his beloved Sulli years ago. He pushed the sliding door and went in the empty room. He stood next to the bedside for the longest of time and let his mind recalled the events that led him here. Trails of memories that he kept vaulted for so long in the deepest part of his heart.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

 

Minho ran all the way to the hospital when he heard the news his Sulli collapsed during dance practice at school. He was angry but worried at the same time. He told her to stop dancing for her own sake but she was stubborn. She said that she needed to keep up the appearance before deciding what she needed to do. Why didn’t she trust him? He told her that he would take care of everything and she needn’t worry.

When he arrived at the hospital, he quickly went to her room but he was stopped by her cousin in front of her door.

“Minho, Sulli doesn’t want to see you anymore. It’s over between you and her. You’re free now”, said Jonghun to him meaningfully.

“No. I have to talk to her, hyung” he pleaded.

“I need to see her, hyung. Jebal!”, he pleaded again, trying to push his way past Jonghun but the man would not budge.

“Minho!”, Jonghun said forcefully. He held Minho’s shoulders and spoke in a tone that bespoke seriousness.

“Minho. I said it’s over. Over … She is not your responsibility anymore”.

“But how about our …” he started but was cut off by Jonghun.

“No! There’s no more … of you and her. She doesn’t want to see you again and asked of you to leave her alone. She said that now she can get on with her life without any interruption. Please forget her”, said Jonghun.

Minho could not believe his ears. Interruption? How could his Sulli thought it that way. Now he knew why she was so indecisive with her decision. So it was an interruption eh? He was about to give up everything for her.

“Go back, Minho. Get on with your own life plans. Forget about her”, said Sulli’s cousin.

Minho then turned around and walked away from the room. His heart was numb and his eyes hurt with unshed tears. He was like a zombie walking home, devoid of expression. He didn’t know how he reached home safely but once he sat down at his study table, he pulled out an envelope from its drawer. He took out the forms and started to fill them with his details. It was the acceptance form for a credit transfer to the University of Aberdeen. He was to finish his last two years of med school in the UK. Before this, he was thinking of rejecting the offer and just continue with his current school. He wanted to be with Sulli all the time for the rest of his life. Unfortunately, it was only an interruption for her. He knew he needed to get away and far away was where he was going.