Something to Think About

Under The Rose Petals

Edited?

[ ]Yes \ xNo

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

                I was reluctant to get up the next morning and I squinted as the early morning sun shined through my window. My back was stiff and sore from me sleeping with my head on the desk; I had fallen asleep in the middle of doing my math homework. I looked at the clock on my nightstand and groaned when the numbers read 6:30 am. I decided to take a hot shower to sooth my aching muscles. My phone beeped signaling a new message but I ignored it and trudged my way to the bathroom down the hall. With the soothing water and the steam carrying all my worries away, I couldn’t get my mind off of what happened with the boys on our way home. I sighed, I couldn’t be regretting my actions now; what’s done is done and there’s nothing that I can do about it.

 

                We had just met and already they were treating me like we had known each other for years. I wasn’t exactly comfortable with that and I would have liked to have told them in a much nicer way, but my instincts had taken over and I acted on impulse. A small part of me wants me to apologize for what I’ve done, but another part is telling me that I did the right thing and they deserved what had come to them. I sighed, I wanted to apologize but I wasn’t sure if that was going to be a good thing to do. Maybe I should just leave it and ignore them for a while. I got out of the shower and dressed in sweats and a tee-shirt, throwing my hair up into a messy ponytail before throwing my covers aside to find my phone. There were three text messages and fourteen missed calls all from Lily. She was such a worry wart. I skimmed through her messages which consisted of only “Where are you?” “Are you okay!?” “Message me back ASAP!!!!!” I let out a breath and locked my phone, shoving it into my backpack before marching downstairs.

 

Mom was at work already, she had left at about 5:30 this morning, and the kitchen was quiet. I poured a bowl of Cheerios without milk and sat down in silence to eat my meal. When my dad was still alive mom didn’t have to work since his paycheck alone left us a lot of money, and mom was always bustling around the house doing things. Neighbors and relatives would always be passing through the house to spend time with mom, and when dad came home, it would be dinner time and there would be a full table, laughs and jokes spread around the table. When I was little, dad would read me the comics from the newspaper until I fell asleep on his lap, and he would make me breakfast in the morning every single day when I woke up. All that changed about mid-way through grade eleven though. One morning I woke up, dad hadn’t come home yesterday since he had to work late to get some paper work done. When I had come downstairs mom had collapsed on the floor in tears. Eggs were starting to burn in the frying pan and milk had been spilt all over the counter top. Mom was clutching the phone and when I asked what happened, I didn’t know how to react. My mind had gone blank and my body numb. I had known my dad to be tall and strong with his light brown hair and green eyes that I had inherited, and he was always in perfect health, and he was the perfect citizen; always helping when he could and being loyal to everyone. I don’t know if maybe he had done something bad in his past life that would result in him getting killed, but that’s what happened. He had been struck by a large truck on his way home from work; the driver was drunk and falling asleep at the wheel. My dad had died instantly while the driver had walked away with minor injuries. Ever since then the way my mom did things completely changed. Mom started to smile more when I stopped, she took on two jobs to make sure there was enough food for the two of us to eat, and people stopped visiting.

 

I shook my head to clear those negative thoughts and dumped the rest of my cheerios into the garbage. I couldn’t be thinking about such negative thoughts, this kind of situation bring us back to the “what’s done is done”. I stuffed my lunchbox that my mom made before leaving work, slinging my bag over my shoulder and slipping on my black converse, I slipped out the door, heading to the bus stop. The bus ride was a little too quick for my liking and I wished I had decided to just lie in bed all day and skip school. I made it through the crowds of people and climbed up to the second floor to my locker. I took a deep breath when I spotted Myungsoo, Dongwoo, and Woohyun standing by Myungsoo’s locker. They hadn’t spotted me yet and I wanted to become invisible, but I knew I would eventually run into them so I faced the music and walked to my locker. Dongwoo stopped in the middle of his sentence when I approached and opened my locker; he was just staring at me without saying anything. Myungsoo shuffled from one foot to the other, looking down the opposite end of the hall while Woohyun blatantly stared at me with a serious look on his face. I took my needed things and shut my locker before walking away; I didn’t want to have to be in that tense atmosphere anymore. I had just met them and still it felt this way. How in the history of potato chips was that possible?

 

The first two periods dragged on. They consisted of me falling asleep and missing everything. That was fine with me though, it meant that I didn’t need to see Myungsoo and Dongwoo at all. Not like they tried to interact with me or anything. When lunch finally came around, I didn’t want to have to go to the lunch room but I knew I would have to since I hadn’t seen Lily this morning. I trudged into the cafeteria and found Lily in the middle of a lively conversation with the boys, not even noticing me enter at all. Usually she was always on the hunt for me if she made it here first, but this time she was occupied. Not that I was mad, but it was strange. I didn’t know if I should leave and sit in the hallway with some other people that  I know, or if I should sit with Lily, but my answer was given to me when she finally noticed me standing by the large doors and glared at me. When I reached the table and slammed myself into a chair, she began her never ending rant.

 

“Where in the hell were you last night!?” She screamed at me, turning to face me, “I called you about a gazillion times and never got an answer, you never even texted me back!” I looked at the table and played with a strand of hair from my bangs. “I was busy,” I mumbled in reply, “I had homework and then I fell asleep.” She scoffed at me and shook her head. “When do you ever do homework?” She questioned as she took a forkful of spaghetti. The boys were staring at me like I was going to tell her the truth, but I’m sure Lily could make her own guess on what happened. I didn’t say anything to anyone, even when Sungjong gave me a sad look and Myungsoo pouted. Didn’t even flinch when Dongwoo threw a French fry at me and Sunggyu asked me if I had finished my math. About half way through lunch Lily pushed her chair back and stood up, pointing at me. “What did you do!?” She yelled, figuring out something was wrong. I stared up at her and pushed her finger out of my face. This whole thing wasn’t my fault though – they should have known not to get too close when we had just met. “Yeah,” Hoya chimed in, “everything was peachy when Lily and I left.” I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my chair. “I put them in their place.” Was my simple reply, “and why would you do that?” Lily asked as her evident anger with me grew. “They were getting too close, it was weird.” Lily made a noise from the back of as she shook her head. She seemed to be doing that a lot. “They just want to be friends, Erica. Why do you have to be like this whenever someone wants to be friends with you?” I couldn’t believe she was asking me this. She knew full well why I was like this; she didn’t need me to say it out loud.

 

“You know,” Myungsoo piped in. All heads turned to him as he continued, “there is such a thing as being polite, Erica.” I rolled my eyes and stared at him in disbelief. “Says the egotistical, self- centered jerk,” I said to him making him roll his eyes. He grabbed one of Dongwoo’s French fries and threw it at me. “Don’t take your anger out on us though. If you didn’t like us you could have just told us,” he stated, dodging the same French fry I threw at him. “I probably got a few wrinkles from all the frowning I was doing, what a shame.” He fixed his bangs and smirked at me, making me so angry I saw red. “My god Myungsoo, get over yourself, your gorgeous enough now stop!” I crossed my arms and looked away. “Holy cow man, how can one guy be so full of himself? It’s almost sickening.” I didn’t look, but I knew he was smirking from the major ego boost I had given him, and Lily was laughing so hard to the point she had to hold her stomach. She recovered soon after and pretended to wipe a tear, “you know Eri likes you when she says something like that.” “I do not like them,” I screamed at her, “who lied? This is false information!” She shook her head and grabbed my arm. “C’mon Eri, give ‘em a chance, they’re really nice,” she urged me but I shook my head no and took a bite from my sandwich. That wasn’t going to happen. Nope. Never. She rolled her eyes and looked at everyone at our table. “She’ll come around, trust me.”

 

It was finally the end of the day and I was at my locker getting everything into my backpack when Myungsoo invited himself into my presence. “Hey,” he simply said as he watched me shove a notebook inside the bag before zipping it up. “What can I help you with?” I asked as I locked my locker, turning away and walking down the empty hall. I heard his rushed footsteps before he fell into step with me. “Since I’m new to the area, show me the nearest convenience store, I want some snacks.” He sounded happy but I rolled my eyes. “Really, couldn’t you have asked Lily or something?” I asked as we exited the front doors of the school and into the open, cool air of September. “Well, everyone already left, obviously.” He stated in a matter of fact tone. I sighed at this and waved for him to follow. “Alright, fine, MyungMyung.”

 

We didn’t talk the whole way there, which was really only about a seven minute walk, and we went separate ways in the little store; me to the cookies and drinks, while he went god knows where. As we were walking home, he went into a twenty questions game, and some of them I answered like what my favourite colour was, my favourite animal, foods, pass times, things like that. My answers were short and straight to the point, while he liked to go into a back story. Who needs a back story as to why your favourite colour was black, I’ll never know, but Myungsoo seemed to have one. We finally came to the spot we would need to split up at and we kind of just stood there for a while. “Well,” I said after a pause, “guess I’ll see you whenever?” He turned to me and smiled. I would have to mark today as the day Myungsoo didn’t smirk at me, but actually smiled a smile that made me want to smile back. “Hey, you’ll give us a chance, right?” He asked with what seemed like worry in his voice. Why the cupcakes he would care if I did or not I hadn’t figured out, but I ended up shrugging my shoulders and pushing my front bangs down flat against my forehead. “I’ll think about it.” I took a step back as a sign that I was departing now, but Myungsoo leaned in and kissed my cheek. I stared at him in shock, my face turning red. “Something to make you think faster.” He said before smirking and walking away, leaving me standing there wondering if I was still asleep at home and this whole day was a dream.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Authors Note~

Hello people~

Here's an update even though i have a killer head ache and whatever whatever, but i hate to be one to disapoint. How do you guys like it so far?

I almost cried writing this, it was terrible. 

Anyway, as you read, this is unedited so if you spot any mistakes, please let me know~

Ole~