Breaking Point

Under The Rose Petals

Edited?

[x] No \ [] Yes

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

                        My mind raced, several different scenarios making their way through my head as I thought over what could possibly be wrong with my mom. She had told me she was simply stressed out and needed some time to rest and regain her strength; not that she would maybe be dying of something. Although, I didn’t know if she was dying or not, but still, it could happen.  My mom rarely ever got sick, while I was prone to illness all the time. She was a healthy person and made sure to eat healthy meals, exercise, and get a good nights’ sleep every night. I could never think of my clean freak mother being sick; it wasn’t something that happened.

                        “What’s wrong with her?” I pressed, still standing in the hallway, staring at the doctor in both shock and fear. I couldn’t lose my mother.

                        “Ma’am,” the doctor said as he gestured behind me to the chair, “Please take a seat.”

                        He sounded like he was almost pleading, like he knew I wouldn’t like was going to collapse to the floor if I was standing. Like I said before, my mom rarely ever got sick and she was the healthiest person I know, so her getting sent to the hospital for heaven knows what was really scary. I looked at the door behind the doctor and sighed, sitting in the uncomfortable plastic chair. The doctor finally let out a sigh and I began fidgeting with my fingers, anticipating what he was about to say, but still extremely nervous.

                        “After a few tests when she first arrived, we have deducted that she has Tuberculosis.”

                        I stared at the doctor for a moment. We had learned about this in biology last year, however, we didn’t spend that much time on it, but I know the basics to this disease. I remember learning the symptoms if the disease was active, and they were a slight cough, a fever, weight loss, and a loss of appetite. I know my mom had a fever when I left on Saturday, and she had been looking a little thin for a while. I remember mentioning how thin she had become, but she always brushed it off saying she was working harder and burning more calories. I should have paid more attention to what was happening. I was staring wide eyed at the doctor as he stared down at me with worry.

                        “Do you know what Tuberculosis is?” He asked me, but when I didn’t reply he continued anyway. “Tuberculosis, or TB for short, is a serious disease caused by a bacterium that infects the lungs, and sometimes even other parts of the body such as the kidneys, spine, and brain. Unfortunately this disease is contagious but we are fortunate to have caught it in the early stages.” He looked at me and his face went from hard and concentrated, to a soft expression. “We will keep her here for a few days to run more tests, but there is medication she can take that will prevent the disease from spreading and hopefully it won’t get worse.” He placed his hand on my shoulder as if he could see the tears that threatened to escape my eyes. Even though this was curable, there was always the chance that it could return and become even worse. It could spread to other parts of her body and she could even die from it. She would have to take medication for a long time. She’d be in pain for a long time. I didn’t want to see my mom in pain – that was almost as bad as her dying from it.

                        “We’ll need you to be strong, alright sweetheart?” A small nurse said as she closed my moms’ hospital room door and pulled off a medical mask. “You have to be strong for her,” she said as she smiled at me, showing her white teeth. I nodded slowly as I stared at the floor, still trying to get a grasp on reality. “Can I see her?” I asked, looking up at the doctor as he handed his clipboard to the nurse. He turned to me at my question and gave me a sorry expression. “I’m sorry, no. We can’t risk it spreading; however, you can see her through that window for now.” He tried to make it sound like that was okay, like I would be fine looking at my mom through a glass window. Like that was a swell idea and I would be all jolly with that idea. But I found myself rising and walking over to the small window and looking into the room.

                        She was asleep and looked completely peaceful, like nothing was wrong with her at all. I wondered if she had seen the symptoms, if she had an idea of what she had but refused to tell me. Or, maybe she was waiting for me to notice, for me to address it and take her to the doctors. I felt like the biggest jerk in the world as I placed my forehead on the glass and took a deep breath. The doctor and nurse were long gone, probably to check on other patients and no one else was in this hallway, so I let out the tears I had held in since I was told about what was wrong with her. I cried for the guilt that I felt that I should have paid more attention to her instead of my issues at school and not staying home when my gut told me that I should. But more than anything, I cried for the pain that I knew my mother, my only family, was going through.

 

~*~

 

~Lily’s Point of View~

                        My mind was a complete mess at the moment and I was seriously stressing out. We were at the mall and walking around, window shopping, but all I could think about was Erica rushing out of the house and not saying what she was doing or who she was going to see. I know she promised me that she would call me as soon as she could, but it has been an hour since then and I was really worried about her. The look on her face scared me, it was a look I had only seen once and that was when I went to her fathers’ funeral. I hoped it had nothing to do with her mother, but then again, her mom was completely healthy and for the years that I have known her, she never got sick and was always happy, so I crossed her off the list of issues.

                        “Hey Lily,” Hoya said from beside me, “stopped stressing, she’ll call, I’m sure.” I looked up at him and smiled at his kind words. Somehow he convinced me to get it off my mind, but the nagging feeling of something being really wrong still tugged at the back of my mind. I felt Hoya grab my hand and give it a reassuring squeeze that made me smile even more.

                        Ever since he walked me home that day, our relationship has become stronger than anything I’ve experienced. He made me forget about my parents, about the bullies at school – about everything really, and he always managed to put a smile on my face no matter the situation. I really enjoyed the way he made me feel and I could only hope that I would feel this way with him for a long time.

                        “Hey,” Anna called from the front of the group, “will you stop being a retard and be normal!?” She was yelling at Sungyeol, but I could hear his laughter from here, knowing already that he loved to get a reaction from her. “What if I don’t want to, princess?” He .

                        When I first met Sungyeol, he was quiet and obedient; doing everything he could to help others. But now, seeing him like this, he’s the complete opposite and I briefly wondered if it was because of Anna, and I nodded my head, knowing that that was the only answer to the question.

                        “Yah,” She yelled, making Juliea and I giggle at her, “do I look like a princess!?” From where I was, I could see her raise her hand up in a slapping position, but Sungyeol didn’t seem scared, he didn’t even flinch. “I will beat you,” she threatened, looking up at him with a serious face, “don’t make me hurt you.” Sungyeol didn’t even flinch at the threat; he just chuckled and patted her head, causing the cute duo to get in another fight. They really were a cute couple; I made a mental note to make sure they start dating.  

                        Just then my phone started ringing and I checked the caller ID, seeing that it was Erica, I answered immediately. “Hey,” I said, “what’s up?” There was no response on the other end, but I heard sniffles. “Erica?” I asked, “What’s wrong?” My mind raced with so many possibilities as what could have happened, but I finally received a response after a couple more seconds.

                        “My mom, she-“Erica seemed to choke on her own words and it sounded like she had started crying. Her mom couldn’t have died, could she? What was wrong with her mom? I sat down on a nearby bench, the others turning to look at me. I knew my face was one of shock when I saw Hoya’s look of concern. I waited a few moments until Erica finally calmed down a little before I spoke. “Erica,” I said in a soft voice, “tell me what’s wrong.” Myungsoo was staring at me in shock, and I noticed how Woohyun shared the same expression which puzzled me, but I pushed it away for another day.

                        “Lily,” she said, her voice quivering, “she’s sick a-and-“She let out a hiccup and I knew she was still crying. I attempted to soothe her and waited patiently for her to continue. Although many thoughts of what could have happened passed through my mind, I wouldn’t allow myself to jump to the worst case scenario. Alright, so she was sick, but how sick was the real question. I know Erica said she had a fever, but was that really something to cry about? Not really, so it had to be something more serious than that. “Could you come to the hospital, it’s hard to say this over the phone,” she pleaded through the phone, “I need you here.” I shot right up; the hospital was about a ten minute walk from here. “I’ll be there in ten,” I said before hanging up the phone. The boys, Anna, and Juliea all stared at me in a mix of confusion, worry, and shock.

                        “What’s wrong with Erica?” Myungsoo asked me. I could hear the concern in his voice and when I looked at him, I could see Woohyun staring at him in what looked like shock. I had a feeling something happened between them, but I pushed it away; it was my problem and I needed to get to Erica.

                        “Listen, maybe she’ll tell you, maybe not, but I gotta split, so see ya ‘round,” I waved and power walked my way out of the mall and down the street heading towards my broken friend.

~End Point of View~

 

~*~

 

                        Everyone watched Lily walk away and when she was out of sight, they all stared at one another. “What just happened?” Sunggyu asked, worry evident in his voice. Everyone shrugged their shoulders and looked at one another, hoping someone had the answer. Unfortunately, no one did.

                        “I say we follow her,” Myungsoo said, already making his way to the exit Lily had gone towards. Myungsoo wanted to get to Erica, he knew something was wrong, and Woohyun had the exact same thought, following closely behind him. Anna was next to join the two, “activate stalker mode,” she said with a smirk as she took the lead of the group, already catching sight of Lily making her way through the doors and onto the sidewalk. Everyone else started following, the nagging wonder and curiousness on the forefront of their mind.

                        Staying a good distance away, but close enough not to lose sight of her easily, the group eventually saw Lily enter the hospital, causing them to stop and watch her enter the sliding doors. “The hospital?” Juliea asked, confusion in her voice. “What the hell,” Myungsoo said sounding worried as he marched in after Lily. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Authors Note~

Such an emotional chapter my gerbils.

Well, here's your update, and i also made the font bigger than i usually use so i hope that's better on your eyes, my wonderful cupcakes.

I might update again tomorrow, but i'm not too sure as of yet. I'm half way through writing the next chapter but i really have to make it just right and just how i picture it happening in my head because a lot of stuff happens in the next chapter... this in the story, it's going to be so beautiful. Just like all of you, my cupcake readers ;u;

So i hope you liked this update, it was sort of an apology for not updating this weekend. I got disstracted... 

 

(^ asjdafi he's so adorable. t.o.p, let me hold you<3 )

Well, leave a comment if you wish and let me know what you think, and until the next update,

Ole~