Pain into Happiness

Under The Rose Petals

 

Edited?

[] No \ [x] Yes

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

                        I was seated on the floor in front of the hospital room door, unmoving and staring blankly at nothing in particular. I had been in this position for a couple hours now and Lily and the boys had gone home a while ago, but Woohyun still sat with me, not talking but sending me looks of sympathy. I didn’t want them to be here in the first place – I don’t even know how this was any of their business and at this point, I’d like to ask Woohyun to leave as well, but I liked that little part of human contact I had right now…

 

~flashback~

 

                        I heard footsteps coming down the hall but I was too far gone in grief to pay attention to it properly.

                        “Oh, Erica,” the voice sounded like Lily, making me look up to her for a brief moment before allowing her to embrace me in a warm hug. I had my face buried in her shoulder when I heard more people, and Lily must have noticed too, because she turned as well. “What are you doing here?” She asked the seven boys that were staring at me in shock. “Did you follow me here?” Lily’s question and accusing glare made their eyes shift to her.

                        “We wanted to know what was wrong, that’s all.” Sunggyu spoke up, looking almost as sad at the sight of my tear stained face than anything. He didn’t know how sad I was right now though; I don’t think any of them did. I stepped away from Lily, much to her protest, and wiped my cheeks with my sleeve as I turned my back to them.

                        “This isn’t any of your business.” I stated as I walked over to my mother’s quarantined room window. She was still sleeping, and despite the situation, she was probably at the most peace right now while the only thing I could feel right now was guilt. Guilt that I didn’t notice she was sicker than she made it out to seem, that she was in a lot more pain than she said she was. I was supposed to be a good daughter and notice when things like this happened, but I was too wrapped up in my own problems to realise anything else that was happening to other people. I felt even more guilt that I didn’t listen to my gut that told me to stay home. I knew something was going to happen, something bad, but I chose to ignore it and this happens. Thinking about this made more tears escape my eyes and I felt someone wrap their arms around me. When I looked up to see who it was, I saw it was Woohyun.

                        “It’s going to be alright,” he said to me in a quiet whisper as he rubbed my back and held me closer, “everything’s going to be alright.” I detested his sympathy at that moment. I didn’t like a person showing me this, that’s why Lily only hugged me; I hated sympathy and pity. I didn’t hug him back, and even if I wanted to, I don’t think I could at that moment. He finally stepped away, but left his hands on my shoulders as he stared into my bleak and lifeless gaze.

                        “Hey Erica, if you keep frowning you’ll get wrinkles!” I heard Myungsoo’s voice from somewhere behind Woohyun. Several people shushed him, but I started laughing hysterically. It’s hard to explain why I would even think to laugh at a moment like this when all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and cry, but Myungsoo caused me to laugh like there was no tomorrow. I soon found myself bending over, tears running down my cheeks from laughter.

                        “Is she alright?” I heard Hoya ask somewhere off in the distance, but I paid no attention to him, I just continued to laugh. I still had no idea why, for the past five minutes I laughed like it was the only thing I knew how to do, but I did, that is, until I started crying again. I found that I was a complete emotional wreck at this moment, and as Lily hugged me close, I realised why I was so emotional. Ever since the boys had entered my life, I really didn’t know who I was anymore. They made me think about things that I never would have thought about. Especially Woohyun and Myungsoo.

                        Woohyun and I had this emotional connection, and as much as I resented him at this moment for showing me sympathy and pity, I still valued him with all my heart. We had bonded in a way I never knew I could, and I knew I liked him in a very special sort of way.  When I was around him, I never had to think about what I had to say, it just came out like the most natural thing in the world. On the other hand, Myungsoo and I, as I found out much later, had bonded over physically. It was difficult to put together what emotions I felt for him, but I knew there was something special. If it was more than Woohyun, it was hard to say, but I knew there was something strong there. It was something about the way Myungsoo spoke to me and the way he made me feel that brought out more ‘Erica’ than I knew was even there. He made me have to stop and think about the things he said, and between him and I, it seemed that it was constantly a game of cat and mouse.

                        It was hard to tell which one I liked the most, but I knew I would have to think even more considering what happened with Myungsoo in his bedroom. I still had many more things I needed to sort out, but I knew there was something more… special about him.

                        At that moment, I realised that I was bawling my eyes out in front of seven boys that had no purpose in being there and I was about ready to yell at them, but when I removed my face from Lily’s comforting shoulder, I saw their looks of worry, especially in my little Sungjong. He bore a face of agony that probably mirrored my own, and I knew he was most likely holding back tears, so instead of yelling at the boys to leave, I walked over to Sungjong and embraced him in a hug, comforting the both of us. I knew I felt nothing romantically for him, but I loved him like a little brother and I’m sure I was seen as an older sister by him. He held me to him and I felt myself sigh and finally stop crying, besides, I don’t think I had much water left in my tear ducts to release anyway.

                        Lily and everyone else decided to leave after a few hours, but Woohyun stayed back, much to my displeasure as well as Myungsoo that he made very clear. So I took my seat across from my mother’s door, watching as the doctors entered with their masks on, then leaving with nothing new to report on about her state.

 

~End Flashback~

 

                        The entire time that we’ve sat here, no one’s said a word to one another, and I found that quite pleasant. I was able to pretend that Woohyun wasn’t here with his constant sympathetic glances as he held one of my hands. I didn’t protest or move my hand away, just simply left it lifeless in his grasp. I could hear the clicking of the clock, marking the seconds, minutes, and hours that my mom was asleep.

 

Click

 

Click

 

Click

 

                        “Hey,” Woohyun’s voice broke the silence, but I didn’t turn my head to look at him, “you hungry?” He asked, nudging on my hand in an attempt to get a reaction from me, but I simply shook my head. “You should eat something Erica, you didn’t have lunch and it’s right about dinner time,” he pressed, but I still shook my head. I wasn’t hungry actually; the thought of food at the moment wasn’t very appealing to me. “Don’t do this Erica, you should eat, your mom will be fine if you leave for ten minutes.” At that moment, I wanted Myungsoo’s company more than anyone else’s right now. I know he’d be joking and making me laugh, not thinking that I was near starving myself because I wanted to die like my mother could if the disease was immune to the medication the doctors were giving her.

                        He rose to his feet and stood in front of me, my hand still lifeless in his as he tried to pull me up. That was the last straw. “Listen,” I said to him, glaring up at him, “I’m not hungry, alright? Now will you please leave me alone Woohyun.” I knew my voice sounded harsh by the way he flinched at my words and I wanted desperately to take them back, but I knew that that was what I really wanted to say. I just wanted to be left alone and not have the unwanted sympathy and pity he was giving me. I could do without the emotional crap, thank you very much. Woohyun looked at me with worry and sadness, but he nodded and let go of my hand. I thought he was going to walk away at that moment, but instead, he crouched down and kissed my forehead, his warm hand on my cheek.

                        “Call me if you need me, alright?” He said to me, his saddened brown eyes gazing into mine. I nodded in reply, but deep inside; I knew I wasn’t going to call him.

                        I watched him walk down the hallway to the elevator. I watched him glance at me as the elevator got to this floor and watched as he waved before getting on, then all was silent. I didn’t know if I liked this lonely silence very much, but it gave me solitude and allowed me to think about other things. After about an hour, I was still in my position seated across the door when I felt my phone buzz. I dug it out of my pocket, surprised to see a text from Myungsoo.

 

                        Hey munchkin, just making sure you didn’t make an indent in the hospital floor.

                                                -Myung

 

                        I found myself chuckling at his stupid remark and texted back quickly.

 

                        The floors still as straight as the day they built it.

                                                -Munchkin

                                                (A/N: That’s the way he would have read it on his phone so that’s why there’s the “munchkin” name~)

 

                        Well, at least I know you aren’t that fat~! So, seen any dead people get rolled out?

                                                -Myung

 

                        Why don’t you come here to check and see for yourself?

                                                -Munchkin

 

                        I knew I wanted to see Myungsoo; he would make me laugh and completely forget about all my worries. He was just like that; someone who wouldn’t pity you, but instead show a form of empathy and then make you laugh until you cried. I liked him a lot for that. Even though we fight like cats and dogs, it’s never a dull moment with his around. He would always keep me on my toes, and make me laugh my off. He made me feel so many different things, and I smiled to myself, finally understanding just how much I liked him. I felt my heart beat in anticipation, and I realised just how much I really liked Myungsoo. Of course, I didn’t love him and I didn’t want to get into a relationship with him but hey, it was a start. My phone buzzed in my hands and I nervously opened the message.

 

                        Miss me that much, my little munchkin? Ha, don’t worry, I’ll be there soon <3

                                                -Myung

 

                        I literally laughed out loud at his statement and found myself looking up to the ceiling, a goofy smile on my face as I realised that there was no other person I would want to spend my time with.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Authors Note~

I. Am. So. Sorry!

I was going to update sooner, but i've been super busy, you know, failing two out of three classes and skipping english to go look at this super adorable guy in his class. Super important stuff right there... ha... ha....

please don't hit me D:

Peace offering? :D

Well, here's this new update~ So i hope you're at least happy about that! I won't make you cupcakes wait any longer, I swear! So, since we're going to get happy emotional bonding with Myungsoo soon, how about a nice spam of him, huh?

 

  

 

(some very beautiful woosoo right there :D )

Ahem, Dongwoo here, author-nim has escaped while you were distracted, but she wishes you all a happy monday, or week in general, and she'll see you in the coming chapters~ She also wishes you to not be shy and to comment on your thoughts of the story (: So until the next update, 

DONGWOO OUT~