Sickness in Being Here

Under The Rose Petals

 

Edited?

[x] No \ [] Yes

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

                        I couldn’t think at that moment. My mind had gone completely blank and I wasn’t functioning properly at this moment in time. My thoughts were clouded with Myungsoo hands on my body – the terrible events that took place just now, and now, Woohyun knocking on the bedroom door. Myungsoo was still standing shirtless, staring at the door in a mix of both surprise, and confusion. I could only take a wild guess at what I looked like, but I knew my face was red, lips swollen, eyes a mix of confusion and disappointment; disappointment in both myself for letting things get as far as they almost did, and the feeling that I have betrayed Woohyun in some odd way.  I know that deep in my heart there are special feelings for Woohyun, but with the events that just moments ago happened with Myungsoo, I feel as if my heart and mind are playing some sick and twisted joke on me.

                        “Hey,” Woohyun’s voice broke through from the other side of the door, clearing the awkward and tense silence that marked the room. “I know you’re in there,” he said, lightly knocking on the door. I moved to the top of the bed and pulled the covers over me until it reached the top of my head, not only escaping the look that I know Woohyun will have, but also the guilty look on my face. I heard Myungsoo unlock and open the door, letting out a small creak as he did so.

                        “Oh, Erica’s in here,” I heard Woohyun say, but I didn’t hear him enter the room. I didn’t move, I just stared at the wall wanting him to leave.

                        “Yeah,” Myungsoo said quietly, “she fell asleep at the kitchen table so I carried her in here.” He lied. He just lied to his best friend. That never happened. I didn’t fall asleep. But yet, I was happy that he didn’t tell the truth; that this was now an unspoken secret between only him and I.

                        “Oh.” Woohyun’s voice seemed to weaver, like he knew that was only a part truth, that there was more than just him bringing me in here so I could sleep. “Never mind then, we’ll need to talk sometime tomorrow, okay?” His voice was softer now, but I still couldn’t determine the look on his face, and quite frankly, I didn’t want to know what it would look like.

                        “Sure,” Myungsoo said before closing the door, but this time, leaving it unlocked. I heard movement from behind me as he pulled out blankets and laid them on the floor and then him grunting as he got comfortable. I had a moment to myself to feel sorry for taking his bed like this and I wanted nothing more than to go back out and cuddle up next to Lily or Anna, or even Juliea, but I stayed wrapped up in the warm blankets in a bed that smelled of Myungsoo.

                        “Goodnight,” Myungsoo whispered softly from the floor. I didn’t reply, just pulled the covers over me tighter as I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

 

~*~

 

                        When I woke up the next morning, the room was completely empty and the door was slightly ajar. The drapes in the window were closed, but the sliver of light that made it through the crack in the window was enough to momentarily blind me for a few seconds when I first opened my eyes. I could hear voices coming from the kitchen, so I got out from the soft blankets and made my way in the direction.

                        “There you are sleepy head!” I heard Juliea call when I entered. I yawned in response and sat at the kitchen table between Anna and Sungjong. Sunggyu brought me a plate of pancakes that were smothered in syrup. “Eat up, Erica,” he said with a bright smile on his face. I nodded and slowly began eating. As I looked around the room, everyone seemed to be doing their own thing. Dongwoo was helping Juliea with making pancakes, Sunggyu was talking with Lily and Hoya, Anna and Sungyeol were arguing about something, and Myungsoo and Woohyun were sitting in the attached living room talking about something quietly. When I looked over at them, Myungsoo turned, but I quickly looked away and busied myself in cutting my pancake.

                        The rest of the morning progressed in that way. Every time Myungsoo looked at me or said something, I would avoid it at all costs. I still had lots to think about on my own and with him being so close all the time, it was really hard. Out of the blue, Lily proposed the idea of all of us doing something for the day before heading home, and everyone agreed on going to the mall. I had disagreed at first but after being chased around the house by Anna and Lily saying that if I didn’t go and they would ‘hunt me down and kill me,’ I really had no choice.

                        We were just about to leave when I got a call on my phone from an unknown number and after a few moments of letting it ring, I answered it. “Hello?”

                        “Ah, is this Lee Erica, daughter of Miss. Lee Hana?” The voice came from the other end. Everyone was staring at me as I gave a quizzical look to no one in particular.

                        “Uh,” I said with much uncertainty. The first thing that came to mind with this phone call was a hostage situation and my mom was kidnapped and being held for ransom. I had no money or any source of income so getting my mom out of this would be tough thing to do. Frankly, I think they can have my mom; she would eventually annoy them so much they’ll drop her off at the front door. “Yeah, this is me.”  

                        “Oh good, we need you to come to the hospital as soon as you can.” The lady sounded like a very nice person, but I was about ready to reach through the air waves and punch her. “Why?” I asked, turning away from the group and walking into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. “Your mom was called in earlier this morning, she’s in intensive care rig-“ I didn’t let her finish, practically yelling into the phone that I’ll be right there. I hung up the phone and grabbed my bag from the living room before heading to the door to slip my shoes on.

                        “Hey,” Lily’s said as she came over to me, “everything alright?” I didn’t know what to say at the moment so I nodded to her instead with a promise of calling her as soon as I could and running out the door and down the street, not saying anything to anyone else.

                        The hospital was about fifteen minutes away, but I managed to cut that time in half by running like a mad woman; I would have made the track team extremely proud. Everything that had nothing to do with my mom was pushed to the very back of my mind and I focused on not losing my only family left. I rarely ever saw my mom’s parents, and after dad died, his parents cut all ties with us. My aunts and uncles only came when it was necessary, and that was only about once or twice a year. If I lost her, I would ultimately have nowhere else to go, and that’s what made me run without stopping. She was my driving force to get there.

                        The hospital was gigantic, and smelled a lot like ‘clean’. I wasn’t very fond of sickness and sadness and all that icky stuff that is related in any way to a hospital. I remember back in grade ten when we had to dissect that frog in the biology unit for science. I ended up vomiting all over the tray and was sent to the nurse’s office and then sent home for the rest of the day. It was terrible and I wish to never have to deal with something like that again. When I entered the sliding doors, I spotted the front desk with a lady sitting there on her computer typing something out. She had on thin framed glasses and her black hair was tied up in a tight bun on the back of her head. She looked mid-thirties and seemed like she had a sour attitude to match her perfectly clean appearance.

                        “Hi, Lee Erica, I got a call saying my mom was here.” I said quickly, wanting to make this conversation as quick as possible; I had to see my mom right away. “Ah yes,” her high pitched voice rang, irritating my eardrums, “she is currently resting and is in room 407 now, the doctor should be in there.” With that she turned back to click – clack on her computer, so I took off to the elevator. About a minute and a half I was walking down the clean white hallway to find my mom’s room. “402,403,404…” I muttered to myself until I finally made it to room 408. There was a doctor with a clipboard standing outside the room, and when he heard me walking towards him, he looked up with a grave face.

                        “Erica, I presume?” He asked, I nodded my approval and stopped in front of him, glancing at the half open door. “Okay, I think you might want to take a seat, dear,” he said gesturing to a chair that was across the hall, “you aren’t going to like this news.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Authors Note~

Ah, my wonderful cupcakes, I'm sorry for not updating sooner, but I'm here now~

Also, I know this seems like not a big deal, but I noticed that I have a little over 200 views! My goodness. I want to thank everyone who had been reading this so far and just... gosh, uhh...  ;-;

since I love cupcakes, all of you readers will become my cupcakes and we will be the coolest cupcakes ever to exist and... i'm sick at the moment so brain is all "asjdafduckareawesome" so... 

Anyway, this chapter was supposed to be a heck of a lot longer, but I cut it in half, and I went back multiple times to fix just a tit load of stuff and.. yeah. also, we're so close to the of the story that I just ajfhdofd So I should go to sleep. It's 11: 43 pm here and I'm just...sick and unwell ): 

So, comment on what you think so far and maybe on what's wrong with Erica's mom? And no, it isn't cancer. Seen too many stories with that happening. Anyway i will be seeing you beautiful cupcakes in the next update, so until then,

Ole~