A Break

It Takes Two

Staring at him I realize he’s right, I haven’t even thought about another man since I started seeing Willis all those years ago. It’s always been Willis and Paxton or Paxton and Willis. I haven’t been on my own for such a long time that even now it’s Seraphina and Paxton.

“I suppose we have that in common then.” I whisper sipping my orange juice.

Kevin nods his head, a little miserably, “What’s even worse is I know exactly how my friends think of her.” He whispers. “They hated her.”

“It was the opposite for me.” Smiling a little I sigh. “Everyone wanted to be friends with Willis, all the girls adored him, guys idolized him and through the mess of people, Willis chose me.”

“Xiao chose someone else, but I can’t just give up on her now can I?” He mumbles.

 “I mean she’s perfect.” Giving him a skeptical look he elaborates. “Stylish, she speaks her mind, made me happy being with her.”

“Obviously something in there made her to be not perfect if your friends hated her.” I point out. “Objectively speaking of course.”I add quickly.

Sitting quietly, both of us glancing around nervously until our food comes. I’m rather thankful for the excuse for us not to talk. For the rest of our time out we quietly eat, then on the walk back Kevin asks me.

“Do you still play the violin?”

Turning to look at him I fight the urge to yell at him. “No.”

“No?”

“I don’t play, and I haven’t played for a couple of years now.” I whisper as a chilly wind blows by, a hint of fall beginning. “I haven’t played and I don’t plan on playing.”

Kevin nods his head. “Did you enjoy playing?” He presses.

Blinking back tears I nod my head. “I loved it, but now it just brings bitter memories. A lot of things do now.”

“Oh.”

For the rest of the walk Kevin and I are silent, neither daring to say something, as soon we get home I retreat to my room, glancing at my violin I smile a little, Willis loved hearing me play, he always encouraged to me pursue music, given my talent. Brushing my fingers against the strings I let out a sad sigh, along with a few tears. Stupid Kevin, I haven’t thought about this for a while.

 

A few hours of me moping around my room a new voice comes to my room. “Getting ready to practice?” Eli asks.

“No.” I respond curtly. “I haven’t played since…” I couldn’t say it, not to Eli. Tears flowing I turn to Eli, his arms spread open for a hug, crying silently Eli calms me.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t come.” He mumbles while we sit on my bed.

Nodding my head I let out a frustrated groan. “It’s alright. Willis understood.”

“He was good at that.”

“One of us had to be.” I whisper jokingly.

Quietly Eli taps his fingers, something he does when something is on his mind. “Hey as a favor to me would you do something?”

“Depends.” I mumble, I knew better than to myself into favors, they tended to get me in a ton of trouble.

“Give Kevin a chance. I know he’s a bit moody right now, but he’s not that bad I promise.” Eli says slowly. “Fina and I were talking, and we thought it’d be a good idea for you to get away from here. Take a little break and cut yourself some slack by spending some time away from here.”

“That’s two favors.”

“One is to you though.”

Nodding my head I look out the window. “I can’t imagine being anywhere else.”

“That’s why we were thinking you’d stay with me for a little bit or rent a place in Korea.”

Yawning I look at him sleepily. “I don’t know.”

“Paxton you and I both know Willis would kill you for being like this.” Eli whispers. “I know it’s a sensitive subject but maybe you could just try and see it how Fina does.”

“Where is all this coming from?”

Eli shoots me an oh-please-look. “Seraphina and I aren’t stupid or blind, and we know how you two felt about each other but Paxton…I haven’t seen you for a few years now and I know we aren’t as close but you’ve changed in the last two years.”

Glaring at him suddenly alert I snipe “I lost the love of my life, quite literally.”

“I know, but don’t you think you deserve to take a break from it. I just think as a friend that you could use a little break from it all, from everyone that knows what happened.”

“If I go I get to do what I want?”

“Like I could stop you?” Eli chides. “But you have to give Kevin a chance he could use a little perspective from someone that’s full of it.”

“As could you.” I whisper a faint smile coming through. “I’ll do it, but not forever.”

“It’s all we ask of you.”

“I know.” I whisper as I hop on Eli’s back for a piggy back ride out to announce my decision.


Sorry for the super late update, but I've been hit hard with moving, and my computer crashing... BUT good news is it's summer vacation. (:

Comment and Subscribe!!