Common Ground

It Takes Two

After getting dressed and ready for the day I find myself staring at the ceiling, glancing over at the violin I let out a long sigh, fidgeting with the ring on my necklace, a simple silver band holding a decent sized diamond.

“Do you play?” A voice asks from the door. Glancing over at the door there standing is Kevin in a navy sweatshirt, and plain jeans, leaning against the door frame, I had to do a double take; he looked too much like a figure from the past one that I know it couldn’t be.

Nodding my head slightly I move to get up. “Come on let’s go out to get something to eat.”

Agreeing we both leave my room, me grabbing a pair of shoes and socks, hopping along behind him I manage to get my socks and shoes on.

“Where are we gonna go?” He asks curiously. “I’m starving.”

“A diner a few streets down.” I tell him grabbing my wallet. “Come on.”

 

Silently walking down the street, Kevin keeps checking his phone. “She won’t call if she hasn’t already.” I whisper.

“What?” Kevin asks stopping. “What do you mean?”
Staring at him I pull my jacket closer to my body. “I’m sorry, I don’t know the situation.” I mumble turning around and walking towards the diner.

“Hold on!” Kevin says grabbing my wrist. “How do you know?”

Rolling my eyes I decide to let him in on a little girl information. “I’ll tell you at the diner.” I whisper pulling away from him.

Nodding his head we keep silent until we’re seated at the diner, a booth by a window looking out to the busy street.

 

Facing each other in a booth after we’ve ordered he looks at me expectantly. “Are you dating the girl you’re waiting to hear from?”

“I was.”

Sighing I look out the window. “She won’t be calling anytime soon, give her some space.”

“What about you, last night I walked by your room and I heard a voice of some guy.” He whispers. “Eli and Seraphina tip-toe around you, what for?” He snaps out at me.

“You hear last night?” I choke out.

“Well barely, but yeah.”

Shaking my head I look him dead in the eye. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Why? Bad break up? Bad relationship?” He questions me aggravated.

Sighing I let it go. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Why? Give him some time?” He says mimicking me.

I stare at him in disbelief. “I was just giving you some advice.”

“Me too.” He snaps.

Glaring at Kevin I open my mouth. “He died. I like to hear his voice sometimes, alright. There is no give him some time and he’ll come back.” I tell him looking away. “I love him, and he loved me, but he died.” I murmur; Kevin looks at me unsure now.

“I’m sorry.” He whispers. “It’s just the girl.” He mumbles looking out the window. “I’m just frustrated.”

Throwing a napkin at him he gives me a funny look. “I don’t need your pity; Eli and Seraphina already give me those sad looks.”

“What was his name?”

“Willis.” I whisper looking at the table’s top. “Willis Choi, Eli was friends with him.”

Nodding his head Kevin looks at me smiling. “Eli told us about an old best friend.”

“Probably Willis, those two were closer than best friends.” I explain as our drinks come, taking mine into my hands rubbing the edges I smile a little bit.

“What?” Kevin asks tilting his head.

“I just haven’t talked about Willis in a while; it’s sort of odd not having him around.”

“When did it happen?”

“Almost two years ago, September 23, 2009.” I whisper the familiar date. “At 5:30 am.”

“The time as well?” Kevin asks eye brows raised.

Sighing I take a sip of my orange juice. “I was engaged to him.” I whisper touching my ring out of habit.

He stares at me. “I’m a complete and total .”

“Don’t worry you had no idea.” I tell him setting my glass down. “Besides I was being rude.”

Kevin sets his phone down for the first time. “You’re right though. Xiao won’t be calling.”

“Why not? You seem like a decent enough guy, did something happen?” I ask him leaning closer.

Kevin sighs. “She left me, for some other rising idol.”

“Then why do you want her to call? She doesn’t sound like the good type of girl.” I tell him.

“The same reasons you can’t let go of Willis. She’s all I’ve ever wanted.”


And so begins their relationship (: thank-you guys that have commented and Subscribed!!

Comment and Subscribe!!