Chapter 16

Destiny, My Only Love

Yoonhee and Myungsoo quickly got into Myungsoo’s car, and hastily got to school, L was a student that would always be on time. This was the first time in a really long time that Jang Yoonhee was actually early for school, every single teacher noticed, and many students also did.

 

“Myungsoo shi, why is everyone staring this way?” Yoonhee asked.

“Hmm, well, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but this is the first time in the entire school year that you’ve actually been early,” Myungsoo explained.

“Oh, it’s true…. I really am early…. Wow, this is one of those miracles only you can accomplish Myungsoo shi!” Yoonhee exclaimed.

 

Suddenly there was an awkward environment because of what Yoonhee had said, and Myungsooo quickly tried to make it go away.

“Should we go check we’ve got everything for the exposition?” Myungsoo asked.

“Ok, let’s go and prepare all the materials we will need so we don’t need to be organizing ourselves just before we need to present!” Yoonhee beamed.

 

School started at 8:00, and it was 7:45, so they had time to organize everything, and mess around. None of the guys had gotten to school yet, not even Sunggyu who was really worried about her girlfriend spending the night at other guy’s house, and coming with other guy to school, in the same car without him in it.

 

They finished checking everything was alright, being Myungsoo, everything was perfectly prepared. They had finished checking everything in 5 minutes; they still had about 10 minutes to mess around till everyone got to school.

 

“What do you want to do, we all know that they will not get to school till 8, maybe even later, we have time to just prepare ourselves for the presentation… Or we could just mess around, trying to have fun with each other without me picking on you or because of the need of me helping you with school work. We do like being with each other, we both can see that, but whenever we are together with the others and without school tasks, there’s and awkward atmosphere, and when I try to make that awkwardness go away, I start picking on you” Myungsoo explained. *Although I cannot say it isn’t fun to *

“Uhhmm, I see that what you are saying is totally true. Ok, let’s try to get along, what do you want to do, it’s not like we have a big amount of time right now… Maybe we could try it any other time, but for now, let’s just start by talking without you bothering me nonstop, call?”

“Uhmm… ok call! Hmm…. Sooo… do you feel nervous about talking in public?” L asked.

“Well, not much, I don’t feel THAT nervous, but I still feel a little worried about getting stuck, or trying to speak when it isn’t my turn yet. What I am worried the most about is that the group might lose points because of me, which would be really unfair for all of you,” Yoonhee expressed.

“Don’t worry about that. Either Woohyun, nor your loving boyfriend Sunggyu nor me will say it’s you fault we lose points if you get stuck or make a mistake. And if Buyoung and Hyemi say anything, we will definitely defend you, really!” Myungsoo cheered.

“Komawoyo Myungsoo shi. That really did cheer me up, you always know the right words to say,” Yoonhee thanked.

“It’s nothing….”

“Ani, jeongmal komawoyo, I am really in debt with you!” Yoonhee exclaimed.

“Ani, oh, see Sunggyu and Woohyun are there, you should go with them, we will try to get along better other day, eoh?” Myungsoo said.

“Eo, we should continue another day, it was nice talking to you without having to talk about school work or bothering each other! I will go to talk to Sunggyu, bye, I will see you later!”

“Ok, bye,” Myungsoo longingly said. He had to direct the conversation to some other thing, they were getting awkward again.  So when he saw Sunggyu, it was the first thing that came into his mind.

 

Soon Hyeryung also came and with her a Sungyeol and Minhee. Then Sungjong and Dongwoo and Hoya. And the whole gang of people were together again, and soon Myungsoo joined them. They started talking about how well they were prepare to present. They had biology three days a week, and they had it the same days, so they would start all the presentations the same day.

“Hey, Sunggyu hyung, did you finish everything?” Hoya asked.

“Of course! Come on, we had L in our group, how could we not finish!” Sunggyu exclaimed, “Did your group actually finish?” Sunggyu asked.

“Uhhmm… Well…. We had slight communication problems… and well…. We are just hoping for it not to be us today…. Since you know, today only 2 groups will present….” Hoya quietly said, “BUT WHAT DID YOU EXPECT, YOU HAD THE KIM MYUNGSOO!! IF MYUNGSOO HAD NOT BEEN IN YOUR GROUP, YOU WOULDN’T HAVE FINISHED!!” Hoya suddenly bursted.

“That’s not true. Yoonhee really did work hard on the project, and everyone put their part, they would have finished even if I was not in their group, they didn’t finish because of me,” Myungsoo explained.

“Oh…. It is true, Yoonhee was in your group, shouldn’t have said that….” Hoya tried to take back the words he had just said.

“No, don’t feel sorry. It is true, if Myungsoo shi wasn’t there with us, we wouldn’t have finished it all. When there were problems in the group he was there to decide what would be better. Really, it was all because of you,” Yoonhee slowly said, “sorry, I know I sound really dramatic because of a simple group work, but I really do feel like that.”

“Ani, Yoonhee shi. You came up with so much ideas that helped so much with the project, don’t underestimate yourself,” L exclaimed.

“Ani, if you weren’t there, my ideas wouldn’t have been done, you were the hero of the story,” Yoonhee said.

“Ani, ani, it wouldn’t have been such a good result if you weren’t there,” Myungsoo hastily said, trying to counter what Yoonhee said.

“See? You just admitted it. It has been upgraded because of me being there, but it would have been finished without me. If there was no you, then we wouldn’t have finish at all,” Yoonhee firmly said.

 

Everyone was starting to get a little tired of seeing then argue over such small things like this. Especially since they were fighting over who worked the most, giving more credit to the other one. Suddenly someone spoke up.

“Yah, stop it, you look like a married couple. Arguing over such small thing,” all eyes were on the person talking, “please, stop it. I am tired of seeing you argue over who worked the most, giving more credit to the other. My ears hurt, and my head is spinning round and round from all the illogical answers you are giving!” Sungjong whined.

“The maknae is saying the truth, you look really stupid right now, and you are making my head hurt. Look, even cute quiet maknae Lee Sungjong spoke up, you should just stop this nonsense, eoh?” Dongwoo said.

“But… Lee Sungjong, how you dare say MY girlfriend is married to someone else that wasn’t me!!” Sunggyu raged, “THAT IS NO NICE!”

“Sunggyu ah, calm down. What Sungjong said is 100% true. We did look like a married couple.  But one of those couples that fight over everything. Even if it was trying to make the other look good. I don’t want us to be that type of couple, so don’t attack poor Sungjong, eoh?” Yoonhee defended the poor maknae of the group.

“Komawoyo Yoonhee noona, if you hadn’t say anything, I would be dead by now!” Sungjong said.

“Ok… mianheyo Yoonhee shi,” l said.

“Mianheyo Myungsoo shi,” Yoonhee said.

“Mianhe to all of you,” they both said at the same time.

“Hey, your class is going in now. You should get going if you don’t want to be late,” Minhee warned the group of people that was in Jung Yonghwa’s class.

“Eish, they are going in!! Komawoyo Minhee ah, I owe you one!” Yoonhee cried just before rushing in the class, Sungjong, Woohyun, Sunggyu and Myungsoo following her. They were just in time.

 

As soon as they got into the classroom, they discreetly went to their sits. Soon, Mr. Jung started speaking.

“Hey, class. Your geography teacher has told me some good news, and I wanted to tell them to you now since I now it will probably enlighten your day,” Mr. Jung started, “in a couple of days time, you will be going in a field trip for your geography topic. Coastal landforms, right? So well…. You are going to be staying in the Busan coast for 6 days 5 nights. Since it is almost the end of the first semester of this year, you will even be allowed to have some time to do what you want to do.”

“Jeongmal?” Suzy suddenly asked. Her eyes were shining, already thinking about what she was going to do.

“Of course, do you think I would lie to you, I wouldn’t be that low. So, in your geography class this week, they will give you the permission slip, and you will have to get your parents to sign it to be able to go, eo?” Mr. Jung said.

“DEH!” the entire class chorused.

“Ok, just let me go through the list of people in this class to see who’s here, and I will let you go,” Mr. Jung said.

 

Mr. Jung quickly went through registration and let his class go to their first class. Everyone was nervous, they had already been having this type of presentations since they were in 6th grade, but it never took the knot in the stomach before presenting away.

 

Soon, at the science lab, Yoonhee’s groups got together since they were given 5 minutes to set all the material they would use. Since Myungsoo and Yoonhee had already done it all, they had time to organize themselves about how they were going to speak, and naturally, trying to calm themselves down. And before they knew 5 minutes had pass, Mr. Jang was telling everyone to go to their own sits since they were going to start.

“I’ve already decided who’s going to present first, and who’s going last, so don’t even try saying otherwise, arraso?” Mr. Jang said. There was no answer, everyone was worried about which would be the unlucky group that would have to present first. Mr. Jang started announcing the members of the group.

 

“The first group to present will be: Kim Myungsoo, Kim Sunggyu, Nam Woohyun, Jang Yoonhee, Choi Buyoung and Yoon Hyemi. Please, get settled and quickly start, one of you can start giving out the summaries,” Mr. Jang said, making everyone sigh, it was not them who had to start.

 

Woohyun started giving out the summaries, and Yoonhee and Myungsoo started hanging the mobile, and dragging a desk to put the model on. They pasted the poster on the board, and were already set to start the presentation.

 

Myungsoo was the first to speak. He started to explain everything about the coral reefs, and the animals habited it, basically, he was making the introduction to the topic. Then, Woohyun and Sunggyu had the part in which they would explain the evolution that has taken place in the animals living there, how they have adapted to their habitat, then Buyoung and Hyemi explained the evolution that has taken place in the coral. Finally it was Yoonhee’s turn to speak.

 

And she was really nervous. She was about to start stuttering, then she turned her head, and saw Myungsoo. He had a reassuring smile on his face, and his eyes were telling her not to be nervous, that he would be there to help her. And that was everything she needed. Yoonhee started speaking like a pro. Way much better than Sunggyu and Woohyun, Hyemi and Buyoung. We could even say she was better than the Kim Myungsoo. She explained everything about having to preserve these habitats, and how humans were killing all the animals living there.

 

Her eye contact with the class showed her confidence, and the tone she used when talking was nice to hear. She talking was really clear, and the volume was just perfect. And when she finished, everyone clapped. She had made everyone pay attention to what she was saying, and start getting interested in the topic being presented.

 

“Ok, so I supposed you finished, is there anyone who would like to ask any question?” Mr. Jang asked. No one raised their hands. “So I suppose there’s no question,” Mr. Jang, said once again, making sure no one wanted to ask anything.

“Ani, there are no questions, they explained it all really well,” Krystal said.

“Deh, sonsengnim! I understood everything, everything is really clear!” Taemin said.

“Ok, so now we will go to the comments on your work,” Mr. Jang started, “I really like the poster, It is really well done, and the pictures are really well chosen, when you combine everything, it looks really good. The mobile is really cool, and the model is really well done. Congratulations, you’ve done really well, I am sure your grade will not be lower than 90. Now, individually, each of you presented in a really different way. Myungsooo ah, you’ve been really factual, your tone of voice was good, and the volume too, well done. Sunggyu you should try not to stutter when you talk. Woohyun, well done, you’ve gotten better than last year, now you don’t do such large movements with your hands. Hyemi and Buyoung. You both articulate your words really well, but you need to speak louder, and finally Yoonhee.

“Well… I am really impressed with your oral part. You usually stutter a lot, and talk in a really low volume. You really did it well. Everything was perfect, nothing I can correct, it was really well done, congratulations!” Mr. Jang complimented, and then turned to see the wall clock in the class, “I guess we will only have one presentation today since they took the entire hour, since some of you will be having more time than I originally planned, I am really hoping to see a really good job from you. Arra?”

“Deh!” everyone chanted happily, knowing they were barely saved.

 

Once outside the classroom, while going to the next class, Yoonhee ran into Myungsoo’s arms. Realizing what she was doing, she quickly backed away.

“Mianheyo,” she muttered, “ I just wanted to thank you or helping me out there! Komawoyo!” Yoonhee exclaimed.

“I didn’t do anything,” Myungsoo slowly said, although he knew that the reassuring smile he had given Yoonhee had really helped her.

“Well, I know better, this time I won’t start a fight with you, I just hope you actually now you really helped me out there, eoh?” Yoonhee said.

“Eoh, arraso,” Myungsoo answered, then Yoonhee rushed towards Sunggyu, knowing she also had to thank him. Little did she know that Sunggyu was watching her go to Myungsoo before, going to her own boyfriend, but for the time being, he just shrugged it off.

 

And little did they know what Buyoung had done. After seeing Yoonhee had gotten such a good praise from Mr. Jang, she started feeling it was unfair, and as soon as everyone was out of the class, she went to speak to Mr. Jang, telling him Yoonhee didn’t work as much as everyone did, and she should have points deducted.

 

In middle of maths lessons with Mr. Bang Yongguk, Mr. Jang came, and asked Mr. Bang if he could take Yoonhee away for a couple of minutes since he had to speak to her. Yoonhee was scared to death, she hadn’t done anything wrong. She didn’t. Why was Mr. Jang calling her?

She soon found out what had happened. *How didn’t I think of this. I should have foreseen it* Yoonhee screamed in her head.

“Yoonhee ah, I’ve been told you didn’t work hard enough in the project, is it true?” Mr. Jang asked.

“Ani. Jeongmal, ani. I did work, I put all my effort into this. Jeongmal, please believe me,” Yoonhee said, her voice each time in a lower tone.

“How can I prove that? How can I prove that you really did work?” Mr. Jang asked.

“Mr. Jang, can you prove I didn’t work?” Yoonhee asked.

“Well, I’ve got people that have told me that effectively you didn’t work,” Mr. Jang said, and by his tone of voice, Yoonhee knew he was not going to believe anything she said. But this time, she was lucky.

 

Yoonhee was not going to make Mr. Jang call for the guys in her group. But just as Mr. Jang was asking her if she worked, Sunggyu was going back from the bathroom into the class he was in, and heard it. He quickly went for Woohyun and Myungsoo, and the three of them asked permission to go out, which obviously was not granted, but Mr. Jang actually came to call for Yoonhee’s group.

 

How did this happen? Well, Yoonhee could see Mr. Jang was being biased towards Buyoung. But she knew she had impressed him in the oral part of the presentation. So she tried using that.

“Mr. Jang, do you think I could have spoken in such clear voice if I hadn’t work in the project?” she asked, “I learned that to be able to explain everything with confidence, you need to really understand what you are talking about, don’t you?”

“Well, yes, but that someone told me you were reading off notes you had previously written in your hand,” Mr. Jang encountered.

“Then, why don’t we bring witnesses?” Yoonhee asked, “we could call everyone in the group I worked in, and you can ask them whether I worked well or not.”

“Call. Ok, I will go call them, you stay here,” Mr. Jang said.

 

So now everyone was in the same classroom, the guys getting ready to help their dear friend Yoonhee. They were all blaming themselves since they didn’t expect this would happen, and were not ready for it. And so, something similar to a trial started.

“So, did Jang Yoonhee work?” Mr. Jang asked.

“Of course she did work. The entire poster was her job, and she did it without help!” Woohyun quickly said.

“Deh, and the hanging mobile was also her idea, and she thought of using recyclable materials for it, she told me she spent the entire night thinking about how it could be done,” Sunggyu stated.

“Yes, and not only did she work, she did her best. She tried to help in everything she could, and she worked really hard to learn her part. She even asked me for help to explain the parts of the information she couldn’t understand so that she wouldn’t lower the groups’ grade by making a careless mistake,” Myungsoo explained.

“Well, I see you are definitely on Yoonhee’s side, but I could say you opinion is probably a little biased, don’t you think so?” Mr. Jang said, “so, Buyoung and Hyemi, tell what you think about it?”

“Sonsengnim! Yoonhee didn’t work at all, they are just saying that to help her out since they don’t mind that the credit for the hard work they did will be stolen by her, but I do care, that’s why I decided to tell you everything,” Buyoung said, using the most innocent tone of voice she could come up with.

“Well, and you Hyemi?” Mr. Jang directed to eyes to Hyemi, who hadn’t speak at all and had a really confused expression on her face.

“Uhhmm…. Well…. Uhmm….. Yoonhee….. uhmmm…….” Hyemi mumbled.

 

Please support by commenting and subscribing!!!