A Rightful Trade

Power of Three

 

Another bullet flew past his ear. Too close.Moon Jongup cursed the day he joined HQ. All that organisation had done was risk his life. Now his cover had been blown, his friends and band mates thought him untrustworthy and to make matter worse he had a bunch of Shadow Agents and the assassin Nightshade chasing after him through the dark alley ways of Hannamdong. 

He skidded to a halt and let out a string of colourful curses that would have made Yongguk proud. He had run straight into a dead end. He spun around looking for an exit, there didn't seem to be one.

The footsteps of his soon to be killers were closing in. Fear gripped his heart, he was too young to die, he wasn't a real agent, he had only joined because his parents had needed the money and he had been promised a sure fire way into a kpop group. He let out a small sob thinking that he would never to his group members again. They had been more of a family to him than his own family had been.

The footsteps were coming closer, their shadows throw up against the far wall appearing ominous and contorted.

He gulped and with a fumbling hand pulled out his gun. He had never killed anyone before, the only time he had used the heavy object was the mandatory gun practice all agents had to attend once a week.

The agents turned the corner and they slowed into a predator like walk Sinister grins spread across their wicked faces as they realised that their prey was trapped. Nightshade casually hung back as the Shadow agents formed a tight circle around the petrified agent.

Jongup swung his gun around trying in vain to scare them off.

"LEAVE ME ALONE" he screamed the terror evident.

One of the agents was a little closer than the others, scars adorned his face like the lines on a map. Jongup swung his gun in the agents direction and aimed straight at the man's chest just as the man pointed his own gun at Jongup's head.

"Remember your training. Squeeze the trigger, keep your eyes on the target." he whispered to himself.

The shot sounded like an explosion in the confined space and for a few moments everyone was still wondering who had shot first.

The scared agents suddenly made a sound, a gargling sound deep in his throat before he kneeled over. Jongup gave a small laugh of relief that he was no yet dead.

"You will pay for that." hissed out a peculiar sounding voice.

Nightshade had stepped forward and had walked over to the dead agents body.The assassin carefully examined it before taking the gun from the dead man's hands. The masked face turned in his direction and raised the gun.

"Die you little brat"

Jongup closed his eyes to await the pain.

"WAIT!!!!"

 

 1 hour earlier

"...,Hyung,Hyung,Hyung.Hyung,Hyung,Hyung,Hyung,Hyung,Hyung,Himchan Hyung,Hyung..."

"WHAT DO YOU WANT ZELO? I SWEAR TO GOD YOU ARE THE MOST ANNOYING PERSON I HAVE EVERY HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF KNOWING."

The giant maknae blinked innocently and smiled sweetly as if that would calm the now furious visual. 

"I was just wondering if you could pass me the popcorn."

Himchan's eyes widened as his mouth open. Both Jongup and Daehyun burst out laughing while Yongguk tried, badly, to hide his laughter behind his hand. Youngjae was too ingrossed in the movie they were watching to care about the current arguement.

Himchan eyed the maknae who was sitting right in front of him on the floor. He then turned his head to the side and eyed the popcorn bowl which was well within Zelo's reach. He turned back to the maknae and narrowed his eyes.

"You mean to tell me that you have been annoying me for the past half an hour for a bowl of popcorn that is well within your grasp? Are you kidding me, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU."

He lunged off the couch, Yongguk automatically catching the visual round the waist giving the cackling maknae time to make a run for it . Jongup giggled at the all too familiar sight. Zelo would annoy Himchan all the time, mostly to garner laughs from the other members who had all, except Youngjae, grown bored with the action movie they had been watching.

"Hey wat just happened to the movie." whined Youngjae.

The group members all turned to stare at the now blank screen. Daehyun went to change the channel when a message appeared on the screen.

 We interrupt your program for a special, looped announcement. We would apologize for the inconvience but frankly we don't care.  

 

                                                                    _____________________________

 

"Tell me where the Shadow Master and the rest of your organisation is, NOW!"

Talisman laughed which only seemed to further anger Chansung.

"What happensif I say no? You gonna beat to death. Please you HQ agents are all the same, into that hippie bull. Oo I couldn't possibly harm him, let's love him until he tells us what we need."

Chansung bristled at the high pitch Talisman's voice took on. The dubious assassin was right, this love thine enemy routine wasn't working and time was running out but he was out of options. He needed the address and he needed it soon.

A hand fell on his shoulder an he spun around. It was Sunggyu with a worried looking Woohyun behind him He looked pale still but at least he didn't look like he would die at any given second.

" Sungyeol informed me of the situation.Take a break. I will deal with this."

Chansung looked doubtful.

"Hyung I don't think that is a good idea. I mean, your hands, you are still heavily medicated...and besides what are you going to do to him?"

Sunggyu just smiled and ushered the other boy to the door.

"Don't worry about me. I am not the great and amazing Sunggyu for nothing you know and as for what I will do with him, well I'm gonna let my eyes do the talking."

Chansung looked confused for a moment but just shrugged it off.

"Yeah okay, But call me if you need any help."

Sunggyu smiled and started to close the door.

"Oh no worries. I won't need any help."

The door closed and Chansung let out a frustrated sigh as he rubbed a hand across his face. He suddenly felt very dirty and decided that perhaps he would go take a shower. That would also mean he could avoid his group which he was sure by now had been told about the prisoner in the basement by Junsu. He did not need their judgemental look or their inevitable questions.

 

Mir carefully cleaned the sniper rifle as he waited for Chansung to finished with the interrogation. He had all the parts laid out on a towel in the weapons room. The rhythmic ritual calmed his nerves. The adrenaline from the mission was fading which left him with the heavy thoughts of mortality. Not to mention he had also forgiven his group, allowing them another chance They had seemed so excited at the prospect of a second chance but their was still the nagging feeling that they would turn back to their old ways and Mir would be forgotten about once more.

"Hey hyung what's on you mind?"

Mir jumped at the sudden appearance of Hyuk, so much so that he almost dropped the barrel which he had been cleaning.

"Geesh Hyuk you almost gave me a heart attack. You gotta stop sneaking up on me kiddo otherwise I am gonna have to pull a bell around your neck or something."

Hyuk laughed.

"Sorry hyung."

Mir shook his head in amusement.

"Sit down Hyuk. It's partially my fault, I was a bit lost in thought."

Hyuk nodded as he seemingly studied the different components of the rifle.

"You are a very good shot you. I haven't seen may snipers that are as good as you."

Mir raised an eyebrow and continued to clean parts of the rifle.

"Oh yeah and how many snipers have you seen?"

Hyuk bit his lip bashfully.

"Well to be honest, the only one that I have seen in real life is you but I have seen a few in the movies."

Mir let out a hearty laugh.

"Well then I will take that as a complement."

The two boys sat in comfortable silence for a while before Hyuk approached the question on his mind.

"So what had you so lost in thought earlier?"

Mir sighed. He had been waiting for the question an had it been presented from anyone else he would have just brushed it away but he felt very much at ease with the youngster.

"A couple things. After missions, I always get a little sentimentality, you know I suddenly remember that I am mortal and that I could just have easily died. Then, well, you see I have been having problems with my group. I was treated like I was invisible and like I wasn't part of the group. It was always them having fun, been friends and then me following them around like some loser. So I had decide to leave except they begged me to stay. Long story short I gave them a second chance but I am terrified that it will come back and bite me in the ." 

Hyuk nodded in understanding.

"Its normal to be scared of the future because you may get hurt. But hyung it is a good thing to take such a risk. If they are willing to work on their relationship with you than then it was a risk worth taking. If however things return to the way they are well then you can leave knowing that you tried everything you could."

Mir nodded.

"Wow kid when did you get so smart?"

Hyuk grinned.

"Oh I don't know I guess I was born with it. Another thing I was born with was good observation, which brings me to my next question. How long have you been in love with Joon?"

Had Mir been drinking anything at that time he would have spat it out on the other boy instead he had to make do with choking on his own shock.

"What, haha, no, I don't..no, it's not like. I don't love Joon."

Hyuk raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"Well you flustered disposition says otherwise."

 

Joon was frustrated. Mir had finally forgiven them which naturally had felt like a warm, ray of sunshine of an otherwise ty week. He and others had felt like celebrating with their maknae. Instead Mir had been rushed out to go deal with things and he had not returned. Joon also wanted to talk to the younger boy, perhaps ask him on a date to the movies or something. 

Dongwoo had said that he had seen Mir head down here a little while back and so naturally Joon was searching the dimly light hallway. He turned a corner and was greeting by a bright light shining from one of the rooms. As he drew closer he could make out voices, he easily recognised Mir's husky voice but was unable to make out what was been said.

He tiptoed closer to the door and pressed up against the frame and peeked inside. Mir had his back facing him while the newcomer, Hyuk was sitting opposite him. The young boy lifted his head as he spoke with Mir and Joon quickly hid hoping that he hadn't been seen.

"...How long have you been in love with Joon?"

Joon was shocked as apparently was Mir.

"What, haha, no, I don't..no, it's not like. I don't love Joon."

Joon's heart dropped at the confession. Hie had thought that Mir felt the same way about him, had the other boy not kissed him back earlier on. He was so caught up that he hadn't realised that they had started talking again. He peeked his head around the door once mor

"...say otherwise."

"Listen. I used to have this huge crush on Joon. I mean who wouldn't, he is really good looking but he is a nice person, well at least to everyone who isn't me. He is such a gentleman and he always tries to be the best person he can be but I slowly began to see that he didn't see me as worthy of his time. He was always saying he had no time for me, or just flat out ignored me whenever I was in the room. When we were on stage he would act all touchy feelly and just like the fangirls I lapped up the attention. Hyukkie you have to understand, they broke me and yes I have decided to give them another chance but there will always been this wedge between us. I still have feelings for Joon, for some unbeknown reason I still care for the pabo. I don't know earlier on well he kissed me."

Hyuk gasped, his eyes as wide as saucers. "No he didn't. Maybe he like you too."

Mir let out a small yet little laugh.

"No I don't think so. He was probably worried about losing the group' rapper. He could never like me, I mean look at me. I'm not exactly handsome and if it hasn't slipped you mind I also happen to be a boy. I'm just some loser that happens to be good with a gun, he...he is like Adonis personified. He doesn't think of me like that...No one does."

Mir seemed to shrink in his seat as he spilled his darkest thoughts to the younger boy. It made Joon angry to think that Mir thought of himself that way. He was about to storm into the room and confess when he was stopped cold in his tracks by Hyuk's words.

"Well if it is any consolation. I think of you like that. Mir hyung, I think you are one of the most handsome men in Kpop. Now I usually like girls but there is something about you hyung. I guess I kind of have a crush on you."

Joon backed away from the door. How could that little brat confess to his Mirea. But what if Mir felt the same way. His heart fell, he wanted Mir to be happy and if that meant been with Hyuk then he wouldn't get in the way of their relationship. He hurried away from the room just as the intercom sounded throughout the house.

"Will all the agents listen up. I have the address for the Shadow headquarters but we only have fifteen more minutes before Moon Jongup is killed. We have to make the switch. Suit up boys we are going out on another mission."

 

The car skidded around the corner sending the four passengers to lean violently to the left.

"Watch it Chansung. You driving is getting worse." said Sunggyu over the comms unit. 

The eldest had stayed behind to monitor the situation while Mir, Chansung and Hyuk made the trade.

"According to Jongup's tracking unit. He is heading left, he seems to be on foot but he is running...oh no wait his is stopped. I am sending the coordinates to Mir's phone."

The phone beeped signaling that the directions had come through. Mir opened it and quickly scanned over it.

"Oh crap stop. He is in an alleyway just next to us."

Chansung stomped on the brakes sending the car to a squealing halt. The three agents jumped out of the car ignoring Talisman's whining about whiplash.

Suddenly a loud explosive bang filled the night air. It was the all too familiar sound of a gunshot. 

Mir turned to Chansung, his face pale and his eyes questioning but Chansung was unable to answer. he just hoped that they weren't to late.

The hurried on and as the rounded the corner they saw a scene that filled them both with dread and relief.

Jongup was still alive but he was surrounded by at least twenty agents and Nightshade was holding a gun aimed at his heart.

"WAIT!" cried out Mir.

All heads in the vicinity turned to glare at him. Nightshade lowered the gun and strolled over to the newcomers.

"Well I never. You actually showed up. Its sweet how much you idiots care about one another."

Chansung raised and eyebrow and sneaked a peek over at Mir  who looked surprised too. That was the most they had ever heard from Nightshade. The assassin's voice sounded rough as if it was covered or was been filtered trough something. It sounded odd and a little squeaky. Chansung shook his head.

"Listen we came for the trade. Talisman for our agent."

Nightshade shrugged before walking over to grab Jongup roughly by his collar. The assassin a gloved hand down the scared young agents face.  

"But I was just starting to enjoy myself. We were having fun weren't we. Oh well if you insist."

Nightshade pushed Jongup forward violently so that the youngster stumbled forward and landed on his knees. Withing a split second Nightshade jumped forward and grabbed the hair on Jongup's head. A knife, glistening in the artificial street lamp light, appeared in it's hand. 

Mir pushed Hyuk and Talisman behind him while he and Chansung pulled out their guns and pointed it at the assassin who now held the knife against Jongup's neck. Even in the dull light the HQ agents could see blood gathering around the blade where the metal bit into the delicate skin.

"Let him go . we had a deal."

A harsh laugh came from the assassin.

"Yes we did but I don't do well with deals. I like to do what I want..."

The assassin went quiet and tilted it's head to the side as if listening to something. Suddenly Nightshade stood pulling Jongup, the boy squeak as the blade was removed from his neck.

"Fine have it your way. The boy for Talisman."

The assassin let go of Jongup who rushed forward into Mir's safe embrace, Chansung nodded at Hyuk who released Talisman. With the switch made, the HQ agents began to back up, their guns still raised. Just before they reached the corner where their car was parked Nightshade called out.

"You may have won this battle boys but the Shadow Master won't lose the war. You had better start making preparations because none of you will come out of this alive."

 

                                                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Talisman stood in the middle of The Shadow Master's office. It was dark except for a small lamp that sat on the Master's desk illuminating only the surrounding area. The rest was complete darkness.

Talisman's breathing was heavy with fear. His lip was split, a bruise was forming under his right eye and he held himself in a way that suggested a broken rib.

"What did you tell them." whispered the harsh voice of his master.

"Nothing I swear. They tried but I gave them nothing. Please you have to believe me." the tattooed criminal begged.

The small reddish light appeared in the darkness as the Shadow Master lit up his cigarette. The smell invaded Talisman's nostrils.

"You are sure of this. You gave them nothing."

Talisman swallowed. He was not sure, in fact he was down right lying. He had told the eldest agent everything. It hadn't been his choice, something in the boy's eyes had compelled him to talk however he could not tell the Shadow Master his.

The Shadow Master made a small noise of approve.

"Good. That is good however we are still left with a tinsy weensy problem, you have become somewhat of a liability. You got yourself capture and now you are lying, very unconvincingly to me. I can not have that type of behaviour in my organization."

The Shadow Master appeared out the darkness, his wrinkled face had a pained expression on it. He took another drag of his cigarette before he exhaled it into Talisman's face.

"Good Bye Talisman."

The criminal opened his mouth to beg for his life but only a scream came out as a piercing pain seared through his heart. He dropped to the floor just as the blade was removed from his back. Nightshade wiped the blood off on the dead criminals pants.

The assassin stood.

"What now master?"

The Shadow Master placed the burnt out cigarette into the ash tray.

"Now, we go to war."

 


 

Annyeong my lovely readers. Hope you enjoy this chapter. Has a little bit of everything in this chappie it seems. Hehe anyway thanks for reading.