12

The Girl Who Wants Death

Sunhi’s POV

            “L-Luhan.”

            He looked towards me, surprised at first, but he smiled. “Hey, Sunhi. What’s up?”

            “Could you tell EXO to come eat lunch with me and the girls?”

            He nodded. “Why?”

            “I was going to invite everyone to a Christmas Eve gathering at my house… my mom wanted me to invite friends.”

            Luhan smiled and pat my head. “Sure. I’ll RSVP first and say I can go.”

            “Thanks.” I bowed.

            “Hey, I know we’re not close, but you don’t have to be that formal.” He smirked teasingly. “I’ll bring the guys over. See you after this next class.”

            “Okay.” I nodded and waved as he waved to me, walking towards his next class.

            So… one out of seventeen said they could come. I don’t really know if I should look forward to this Christmas Eve party or not.

            “Boo!”

            I jumped, turning around quickly and almost elbowing Amber in the face.

            “Oh my god! Don’t kill me, Sunhi!” She crouched down on the ground in a comical way.

            “Amber…” I dead panned. She stood up, laughing.

            “What’s up?” She smiled happily and walked with me to our next class.

            “I’m having a Christmas Eve party at my house… and—“

            “Party? I’ll go! Party time!” She pumped a fist in the air, drawing some attention from people who whispered to each other, causing her to stick out her tongue at them.

            “Thanks.”

            “No prob! I think it’ll be fun. Haven’t been to a good Christmas party in ages. Trust me, never go to a party hosted by EXO. Especially a Christmas party.”

            “Is it bad that I’m going to invite them?”

            Her eyes widened slightly before sighing and smiling, ruffling my hair a bit. “Nah. As long as they’re not the ones planning it, you’re fine.”

            I nodded, continuing.

            “So is it just us, the rest of the girls, and EXO?”

            “You can invite a friend or two,” I replied. “But 20 is the most I can have over.”

            Amber nodded. “I probably won’t invite anyone, but some of the guys in EXO might invite people.”

            “Okay. I’ll ask them about it later.”

. . .

 

Kai’s POV

            “A party? You don’t seem like the type to go to one, let alone host one,” I said, sitting down next to Sunhi.

            “It was my mom’s idea… She wants to meet my friends, but without telling me directly that that’s what she wants.” She sat down, brushing her shorter hair away from her face.

            Krystal sat down on the other side of her and used a pale blue clip to hold back some of Sunhi’s hairs. “I’ll go! It’ll be fun.”

            “Me, too! You’re mom’s really nice to do this,” said Luna. Her blonde hair was just starting to grow out. Was she finally stopping the bleaching?

            “What about you guys? I know I’m going.” Victoria smiled her always-cheery smile, looking at EXO and Sulli.

            “I’m going! I love parties!” exclaimed Sulli, her wild, overexcited personality ever present.

            “I already said I’d go.” Luhan looked at the other EXO members, including me.

            A party… on Christmas Eve… is usually not my thing. Ever.

            “You should go,” said Victoria as she sat down next to me, nudging my arm.

            Unless of course it’s for Sunhi… “Sure, I’ll go.”

            “Isn’t Taemin coming back for break?” asked Lay. “And, I’ll go.”

            She nodded to him. “Thanks.”

            “Yeah, Taemin’s coming back tomorrow.” I looked towards Sunhi.

            “There’s room for three more people, so he can come.” She nodded.

            I smiled. “What about the rest of you guys?”

            “Tao and I can go,” said Kris, smiling towards Sunhi.

            “Count us in!” Xiumin jumped up and down, pointing at himself and a sighing Chen.

            “Grow up, Xiumin.” And thus, Chen lost a few brain cells.

            “I’ll go,” said D.O., smiling calmly to Sunhi.

            “What about the bacon and eggs? You guys coming?” asked Tao, smirking.

            Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “As long as nobody calls me bacon, I’ll go.”

            “I’ll go!” yelled Chanyeol, ignoring the egg comment. Everyone visibly deadpanned.

            “I’m going, but hey, grandpa, are you too old to come party with us?” teased Sehun.

            Suho glared. “I’ll go, thanks for the invite, Sunhi.”

            “No problem…” Sunhi was being quiet as always, causing us to laugh.

            I looked at her for a second, but in that instant, my eyes stuck to her. She looked as she did on any other day, except for slightly red cheeks and nose because of the cold weather. She wasn’t smiling. She wasn’t displaying emotion. But… something was different. There was something that… just made me stare at her for ages until Victoria nudged me again.

            Quickly, I snapped out of it, wondering if anyone else noticed. Everyone else was talking to each other.

            Victoria laughed. “I’m the only one who noticed,” she whispered. Mind reader. “No worries. I’ll keep it a secret.”

            I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks. “R-Right…”

            She pat my shoulder before turning to talk to Sehun, who sat next to her.

            . What’s wrong with me?

            I tried to clear my thoughts by shaking my head.

            “Something wrong?” asked Sunhi.

            “N-Nope.” Stuttering? What the hell is with me today?

            She only nodded, giving me a strange look before turning back to her talk with Krystal and Sulli.

            After a few minutes of me just sitting there awkwardly, occasionally leaning on Sunhi’s shoulder, causing her to look at me, blink, and pat my head like I was a dog, the bell rang and I nearly jumped up to try and run the hell out of there.

            Maybe I was sick today.

            “Let’s all meet up here at the end of the day. Then we can leave. But we have to say a nice good bye before we all go for vacation,” said Victoria.

            “But we’ll see each other at Sunhi’s part,” commented Amber.

            “We still should! Her party isn’t for a week!” shouted Sulli.

            “Okay, okay! Stop shouting, Sulli,” replied Chen, covering his ears.

            Sulli pouted.

            “Then, we’re meeting here. Case closed, let’s go to class now!” said Luna, rushing everyone to the school building.

 

. . .

 

            She came again, with that huge sketchbook.

            Our good bye with everyone was fifteen minutes ago. Everybody took off, except me… and Sunhi apparently.

            I didn’t expect her to come today, but she proved me wrong, like so many other times…

            Today seemed different though. She seemed to walk in right with the spark.

            We both did as always: her sketching and me dancing. But the atmosphere seemed different. It wasn’t like I was trying to make her happy. Something else seemed to be making her happy. Was it because of today’s lunch and gatherings with everyone? I’m pretty sure that’s what did it.

            So I didn’t worry about anything, like the first time she came with the sketchbook. I didn’t think about her cutting again. I didn’t think about Sehun. I didn’t think about anything that currently was on my mind. I just cleared everything away, like pushing off everything from your work desk. And it felt refreshing.

            One new thing, though, was that… when my two hours were done, she was still there, sketching away. I went to my bag and pulled out a small note I had for her. It just said “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year”, but I figured it would be better than just going on vacation without telling her that. She thought I was someone else, not Kai. She wouldn’t see… “Dancer” for quite some time.

            I did a quick spin, going down to my knees, spinning 180 degrees, throwing the note to her, before turning back around and standing up so that my back faced her.

            She was surprised but picked it up, reading it quickly. Reaching into her bag, Sunhi pulled out a piece of pale blue paper, sliding it towards me.

            I picked it up while she gathered her things, and when I looked up, she did the one thing that I had never expected her to do for at least another few months.

            She. Freaking. Smiled.

            No, not the same lifting the corners of smile. A full blown, smile reaching her eyes, type of smile.

            I could barely send the brain signals to get my hand to wave goodbye as she walked out. Because she killed me with that smile.

            Have you ever met anyone who’s smile was the most brilliant thing you’ve ever seen? I thought it was an expression when someone said that a person’s smile could light up the world. I’ve been proven wrong. To the 1000000000000th time.

            I think I stayed frozen in that spot for five minutes before I actually moved. Her smile… damn. I bet if any other guy saw that smile, they’d pass out. I almost did. I still feel kinda lightheaded. That smile was taken from the world for months… how did we all survive?

            Wait, what the hell am I saying? She only smiled and I’m spouting nothing but fluff. What’s going on with me? And you know what the worse part is? It was only a smile. What happens when she laughs? I swear, the world’s gonna die happy when she laughs again.

            Oh God, what am I saying? I’m over thinking things again.

            But a smile. Why couldn’t I have taken a picture of it or something?

            Right at that moment… when she just threw a smile at me, my heart nearly flew out of my chest. What the hell’s happening?

            I quickly packed up my things, swinging my bag over my shoulder and walking out of the dance studio. I walked to the front of the school just in time to see Sunhi’s mom’s car drive away.

            It’s gonna take me forever to get over what just happened. If that happened to you, I’m pretty sure it’ll stay in your mind for… forever.

            World, why’d you choose to kill me now?

            Maybe I should call Lay. He'll know what's wrong with me, right? The smart .

 

Sunhi’s POV

            I smiled… I couldn’t even stop myself by the time I’d done it, and I quickly escaped from the dance studio.

            He made me smile brighter than I’ve smiled in months… Am I really getting over my depression? This dancer… it’s like magic. Not to sound cliché.

            First, I start feeling some sort of joy and happiness when I watch him dance. Second, I drew again because of him. Third, he makes me smile.

            Most people would think that all of these things are stupid and trivial. But to me, they’re the biggest things I’ve ever experienced. The feelings of gaining things that I thought were forever lost.

            This sounds so cheesy, but… it’s true. I hope that I’ll be able to feel just a bit happier.  To be able to celebrate this first Christmas without my father.

 

Kai’s POV

            “Kai, I’m pretty sure that you’re starting to crush on her…”

            “What are you talking about?! Maybe you’re going crazy, too…”

            Lay sighed. “You told me how you feel when you’re around her. You’re usually not this dense, but apparently t his time you are. So I’m gonna say this very slowly. You. Like. Sunhi.”

            I sat there. Just sat there. Don’t think I even blinked for a good minute.

            “Kai?”

            “You’re kidding me, right?”

            “You sound like I just diagnosed you with a terminal illness… It’s just a crush! You’ve had one before. This time’s not any different.”

            “Why her?”
            “Ask yourself that.” He rolled his eyes. “She’s different than other girls. You’re the closest out of all of us to her. You know things we don’t about her. There’s a lot of things that could’ve started this. But I saw this coming from a mile away. You couldn’t even see it when it’s right in front of you.”

            I couldn’t process what was going on. How could I like Sunhi? I listen to her when she’s depressed and cheer her up after with dancing. That’s all I do. I don’t know that much about her….

            And that’s when I realized that I do know a lot about her. I know about her past, her family, her hobby that she never shows to anyone… Her favorite color’s blue, she hates her new haircut, and she hates wearing short sleeves. She used to play the piano, she had a huge dog that passed away just two months before her father, and she still wants to become an artist.

            It wasn’t much, but more than what the others knew.

            “Give yourself some time. Just think about it for a little. You’ll start to see that you like her.” Lay stood up. “Next time, just call if you’re gonna ask about something like this! I thought you were in a crisis or something…”

            “I was!”

            “This, my friend, is not a crisis. It’s a matter of how dense you are and your ability to comprehend the truth in this. Just wrap your mind around it, accept it, and you’re good to go.” He waved before walking to the front door, going back home.

            I walked into my room, closing the door and jumping onto my bed. I never thought that I’d fall for her. It seemed too inconceivable. Not to mention, I could never imagine myself with her. Sehun seemed to fit better, being the happier and more outgoing. Maybe that was what Sunhi was like before.

            I’m such an idiot… I should’ve stayed away. But I didn’t. And now, I’m pretty sure if Sehun finds out, he’s gonna murder me in my sleep.


Sorry if it's getting boring >< I feel like these are like filler episodes in an anime D:

Tell me if you think it's getting boring >

Also, subscribe if you like it though :D (as well as upvote ^^)

Thanks so much for reading :D

I've been writing a lot lately so there might be another update today :)

~DespisedSecret