Chapter 8

I'm Not Predictable

 

           It all seemed like a very awful dream. I could feel my body twitching, followed by someone moving me. 
 
I groaned at the unwanted movement.
 
"Jessy." I heard a voice softly call.
 
        I quickly opened my eyes to see Sandeul with his hand on my shoulder, shaking me. I'm a very light sleeper.
 
"What were you dreaming about?" He asked observing me suspiciously. 
 
I blinked a few times, rubbing my eyes. "I can't remember much. Why?"
 
"You were and mumbling." He said with a shrug.
 
My eyes shot wide open. "I think I was dreaming about us getting lost."
 
I didn't want him to think I was having a dirty dream because I wasn't.
 
"Okay, then." He replied as he stood up. "Let's get going. We can follow the edge of the river as a guide."
 
       I got up and helped Sandeul fold the sleeping bag. We walked for one hour before my stomach began grumbling. I had to hold my stomach to stop the noise. 
 
Sandeul noticed. "Don't worry, mines is worst. I think we're almost there. If we make it out alive, I'll buy you some food."
 
I laughed. "I got you into this. I think I should be the one buying you food."
 
"I'm a gentlemen, don't worry I got this." He said, pointing at himself with his thumb.
 
I just rolled my eyes without him noticing. 
 
       At that exact same moment I couldn't help, but to feel super disgusting. I was sweating, I haven't showered, brushed my teeth, my hair was a mess, and I had no make-up left. I looked up at Sandeul, he was in the same boat as me. Believe me just because he's an idol doesn't mean he looks perfect all the time. 
 
"Hyung!  Noona!" I head a familiar voice call. Obviously, when I looked up it was Gongchan. "Cathy, they're over here!"
 
Soon after, I saw my sister appear, running towards Gongchan. "Jessy! Sandeul! Oh my God, are you guys okay?"
 
They ran towards us; Sandeul and I were too exhausted to run.
 
"Channie, Cathy; you don't know how happy I am to see you guys." Sandeul said with a sight of relief.
 
"I was so worry. You guys were gone for such a long time." Gongchan said, tears falling down his eyes as he hugged both of us simultaneously. Wow, he's sentimental. 
 
I looked over at my sister and she was tearing too.
 
"Oh Cathy, don't cry." I said hugging her. 
 
"I was so worry." She replied, wiping her tears.
 
"Hyung, let's go. Jinyoung hyung said that if you both didn't show up by noon, he would call manager Inro." Gongchan said tugging at Sandeul's arm.
 
"Gongchan, check if you have phone signal." I politely ordered. He took out his phone and looked at the screen. He nodded.
 
"Call Jinyoung and let him know."
 
          Gongchan called Jinyoung as we walked back to the campsite. When we arrived to the campsite, Baro and Shinwoo came over to us and made sure we were okay.  I sword Jinyoung was going to eat us alive
 
Surprisingly, he was more relief than angry. "How did this happen?" He asked calmly.
 
Here I was about to confess that this was all my fault when Sandeul spoke first.
 
"Sorry hyung, Jessy and I followed a water deer and by the time we noticed we were too deep in the forest." I was shocked but tried not to let Jinyoung notice.
 
"I'm just glad you both are okay." Jinyoung sighted. "Imagine if I had to call manager Inro. Ugh, let's not even talk about it."
 
"Okay. It's there any food?" Sandeul desperately asked.
 
"There's some granola bars left. Eat that for now; everything is ready for us to go, we'll buy something on the way back." Baro replied pointing at the mini fridge.
 
"Do you mind if I go brush my teeth before we leave?" I asked politely. 
 
"Yeah, me too." Sandeul said making a disgusted face. 
 
        I went to my bag, grabbed my essentials and headed into the public bathroom. Moments later I was done and I felt completely refreshed. Sandeul had finished and waited for me with the others. I still couldn't believe we got lost in the woods for a whole day. I'm surprised a rescue team wasn't called. I get they wanted to prevent unnecessary drama.
 
"Aish, why do you take so long?" Jinyoung scolded. 
 
"Chill, I'm a girl. I needed to do my make-up and hair." I retorted.
 
           He just rolled his eyes, shook his head, and mumbled something. Such a drama queen, I know for a fact that he takes forever getting ready. 
 
"I need to talk to you." Cathy quickly whispered in Spanish into my ear before getting in the van.
 
"What?" I asked, also in Spanish.
 
"Tell you in the hotel." She replied and I nodded.
 
"We have a performance tomorrow." Baro announced. 
 
"That's awesome." Cathy replied with a smile.
 
"You girls want to come?" Shinwoo offered.
 
"Sorry, but, I enjoy living." I jokingly said. 
 
I sat next to Baro, while Cathy sat in the back with Gongchan and Sandeul.
 
"What do you mean?" Baro questioned turning his head to look at me.
 
"I don't want your fans to kill me." I simply stated.
 
They all laughed. "They won't kill you, noona." Gongchan said in between laughs.
 
"Um, yes they will." I assured them. "Also, we don't necessarily blend in."
 
"Our manager is not going so he won't notice you girls." Jinyoung said, looking through the rearview mirror. He was driving. "Just act like you both are part of the team. Jessy, you're good at make-up, go in with the make-up artist, and carry some of the supply. Wear a hat to cover your face. Cathy do the same and go in with the clothing stylist. I'll tell them you both are the helpers for today."
 
"This sound like a crazy movie idea. Parent trap kind of stuff." I was still not convince.
 
"Let's go Jessy, it will be fun." My sister begged.
 
"So, much fun it will be when we get harassed if this doesn't go as plan." I said sarcastically.
 
"Please." She pouted.
 
"Fine." I said sternly.
 
We stopped to eat something and as promised Sandeul paid my meal. He bought us some noodles. 
 
"Thank you." I said with a small bow. It just seemed appropriate.
 
"I'm a man of my word." He said with a wink. 
 
O.K.A.Y. 
 
After eating we left, about forty-five minutes later we were dropped off at the hotel.
 
"We'll pick you up at 11a.m." Jinyoung informed us.
 
"Sounds good. See you then, bye." Cathy said as I shook my head in disagreement.
 
       Back at the room, I quickly went into the shower. I took my time to relax. As soon as I was out the shower my sister came up to me.
 
"I really need to talk to you." 
 
"Can I at least get dress." I said as I walked over to my clothes.
 
"I'll talk while you get dress." She compromised and I nodded.
 
She sat at the edge of my bed and sighed. I began getting dressed, listening to her.
 
"I, um, have a problem." She confessed.
 
"What's your problem?" I asked, pulling down my shirt.
 
She stayed quiet for a moment then spoke. "I... I'm crushing on someone."
 
"Ca, Jinyoung is too old for you." I said crossing my arms.
 
"It's not Jinyoung!" She exclaimed. "And he's only 21, I'll be 18 in two weeks."
 
"Is it Baro?" I asked thinking about it, he did see her underwear. Before she could reply it suddenly came to me. "Oh my gosh. It's Gongchan, isn't it?"
 
She nodded shyly.
 
The heck.
 
"Um, how did this happened?" I asked curiously. 
 
"Well," she began. "Since I first saw him I thought he was cute, obviously. You and Jinyoung always send us on errands together since we're the youngest, so we've talked a lot."
 
      She paused and looked at me. My jaw was slightly dropped. I composed myself and motioned her to continue. 
 
"When you and Sandeul were lost, we searched for you both together. I was crying and he comforted me. I, I can't help it, he's so nice and sweet."
 
        She stopped talking and looked at me for my reaction. I've just been mind fudged, I took a minute to put myself together. I formulated the right words to say.
 
I sighted. "Ca, he's an idol." That was my major argument. "You're like on the other side of the world." Second argument. "The possibilities are very slim."
 
"I know." She said disappointed. "What should I do?"
 
"Just act like you always do around him, don't let this affect your friendship. You'll eventually get over them." I said as I sat next to her.
 
She sighted. "You're right."
 
"Don't worry it will get better." I assured her as I rubbed her back. "Now let's go to sleep."
 
She nodded and went to sleep. I couldn't help but feel bad for her, she's my sister after all.
 
***************
 
        My alarm went off at 9a.m. I groaned, these past night have been horrible. I brushed my teeth and washed my face, then woke my sister up. She whined at first but, eventually woke up.
 
We both got ready, trying our best to look the part. My phone rang and it was Jinyoung. 
 
"Hello." I answered. "We'll be there in ten minutes."
 
        Cathy and I began heading downstairs and shortly after the van showed up. Shinwoo being the tallest went in the front with the driver, we barely fit. Jinyoung introduced us as foreign interns to the driver.
Good for Jinyoung if he thinks this BS is believable. 
 
       As we approached the T.V. station, the place was full of screaming girls. I was intimidated and I'm sure Cathy was too. I gulped, feeling a bit nervous. In the back entrance was another van which I'm guessing is the rest of the team. The guys got down first and we followed. The fan went crazy. Cathy and I kept our heads down. One fan yelled something really loud and Baro replied to her. 
 
As soon a we got inside I felt as if I could breath. My heart was beating so fast, but at least we survived.
 
"Baro, what did that fan asked?" Cathy questioned. 
 
"Who were you two." He replied. "I told them stylist."
 
"Oh." Cathy coed.
 
Jinyoung came towards me and grabbed my arm, pulling me towards a women. He spoke to her in Korean, then English. "This is Jessy, your helping make-up artist for today."
 
"Hello, nice to have some help." She said with a smile and a bow. "Where are you from?"
 
"I'm from the states." I replied with a smile and also a bow.
 
          From the corner of my eyes I could see Jinyoung doing the same with Cathy. The guys went to do soundcheck and we carefully observed them. We made sure none of the fans saw us. I feel that we're going trough too much trouble for these guys.
 
It was the first time I saw them live. They're really good, they even got me hyped.
 
"I really love how they sing live, even if they use the track." Cathy commented, her eyes glued on the performance.
 
"Yeah, imagine no track and they have to dance too. They need to catch their breath."  I replied.
 
      Seeing them perform made me have a strange feeling. I think it was excitement...OMG, I'm I fangirling. Oh, yes I am. I couldn't control myself. The guys were done and walked towards us, they looked so happy.
 
"That was amazing!" I said overly excited.
 
Everyone went quiet and stared at me strangely.
 
"Don't do that." My sister warned me.
 
"What?" I knew what, I just acted like I didn't.
 
"Just no." She shook her head.
 
"Let her." Baro said in my defense. "It's not her fault we're awesome."
 
I raised him an eyebrow. "You sure are modest."
 
Everyone laughed and Baro just pouted. No Baro, don't try to act cute.
 
        Back in the dressing room everyone was working on preparing the guys. Cathy was even put to work, helping make sure the cloth fit and helped them pick out accessories. She kept scolding them for putting the wrong accessories. 
 
I was just staying out of everyone's way, until Jinny, the make-up artist called me.
 
"Yes?" I asked.
 
"We're running out of time. I'm finishing Shinwoo's make-up now but, I still have Baro and Gongchan waiting. Please, can you do Sandeul's and Jinyoung's?" She asked politely.
 
I gulped. "Of course." I couldn't blow my cover. I grabbed the make-up kit and walked towards Jinyoung who sat on a chair waiting.
 
He's eyes were close, so, I began opening the kit. I took the foundation and began smearing it.
 
Jinyoung jumped and opened he's eyes. "Yah, what are you doing?"
 
"Your make-up." I said and went back to applying.
 
"But, you're not really a make-up artist." He accused.
 
"Obviously." I retorted. "What do you want me to do? Jinny asked me to do it."
 
"Just make it look good." He said, closing his eyes. I just rolled mines.
 
        After applying various layers of fountain and powder, I needed to do the eyes. I thought about it for a minute. I only ever do my own make-up. 
 
I shook Jinyoung until he opened he's eyes. "I don't want to come off the wrong way...but... I've never put make-up on guys and especially... Um... Asian guys. You know... The eye anatomy is a bit different. Um, can you tell me how?"
 
     I was so embarrassed. Jinyoung just stared at me, not knowing what to say. He even blushed. I can't believe I just asked that! I want to take it back. I just don't know what to do.
 
"Just use a bit of eyeliner and eye-shadow, just enough to define the eye." He explained.
 
"I'll try my best." I said unsurely. 
 
"I'm going to trust you." He replied, looking a bit skeptical. "And no more bickering, okay?"
 
"Hummm," I hummed, eyeing him carefully. "Arasso." (Okay)
 
"Oh." Jinyoung said surprised. "You're practicing your Korean."
 
I nodded. Not really, though. My Korean is extremely limited.
 
      After a few minutes I was finished. I was proud of myself it came out pretty good. I gave Jinyoung a mirror and he looked at himself.
 
"I'm surprised." He admitted. "You actually did a good job. Thank you."
 
"You're welcome. Well, next is Sandeul." I casually said as I walked away. 
 
Sandeul was sleeping on the couch. I hesitated whether to shake him awake or not. I shook him.
 
"Ah." He said suddenly. Then, looked up at me. "Aish Jessy, you scared me. What happened?"
 
"Can you sit over there?" I asked pointing at a nearby chair. "I need to do your make-up."
 
"Buah, you do my make-up?" Sandeul said in a derpy way. "Isn't Jinny supposed to do it?"
 
"Well, she asked me to do it. So, you can either go on stage without make-up or cooperate with me." I said placing my hands on my hips.
 
"Aigoo, I was just asking. You don't need to be mean." He said in a sort of whinnish voice.
 
"I'm sorry." I said. "I promise, zero mean from now on."
 
Sandeul extended his hand, pinky finger sticking out. "Pinky promise."
 
Oh my gosh, corny. 
 
"I promise." I said, entwining my pinky with his. "Now stay still, I have to make sure this come out right."
 
************ 
 
       The performance went great, and the make-up came out awesome. They wanted to go eat but, I was to tired. I was dropped off at the hotel and they left to the restaurant. As soon as I arrived at the room I took a shower and got comfortable. I grabbed my tablet and opened my email.
 
      I regretted checking my email. In my inbox was a letter denying me financial assistance for next school year. What? I can't afford that, I'll have to get loans. I was overreacting to the situation, even crying. This lead to a chain of event of me feeling worthless. I called my sister.
 
"Hey." She answered.
 
"Ca, where are you?" I asked trying to hide the fact that I was crying.
 
"We just finished eating and decided to go for a movie." She replied. "Why?"
 
"Can you tell Jinyoung to bring you back, please?" I was hoping she would say yes.
 
"Jinyoung left early, he didn't want to go see a movie." She said, then added. "Do I really have to go?"
 
"No, it's okay." I sighed. "Bye."
 
I hung up and dialed another number. I was still crying but did my best to hold it in.
 
"Hello?"
 
"Jinyoung can you please come over?" I asked with a sniffle. 
 
"Um, sure." He replied. I know he wanted to ask why, but he didn't.
 
"Oh, and Jinyoung."
 
"Yes?"
 
"Bring some liquor, please."
 
 
************
 
Hope all you ficnatics are enjoying this story. Let me know what you think!