Chapter 7

I'm Not Predictable

 

 As we reached our small campsite we noticed the guys had gone all man versus wild and began a fire. They were speaking to each other in Korean until they saw us approaching, then they stopped. I felt a bit self-conscious with my hair wet and I had absolutely no make-up on.
 
As we arrived, Shinwoo, Jinyoung, and Baro excused themselves to go wash up. Sandeul and Gongchan had gone already, they went right after Cathy and I left.
 
"So, you're 21 years old in the states?" Gongchan suddenly asked and I assumed the question was directed towards me.
 
"Yeah." I replied eyeing him suspiciously.
 
"That means I can call you noona." He stated with a smile, while clapping.
 
"Noo- what?" I questioned, raising my eyebrows.
 
"Means 'older sister'." Cathy whispered.
 
"I know what it means." I whispered back. "But, we've only known each other for a week, why would he call me that?"
 
"We can hear you." Sandeul said, crossing his arms. He can seriously have a temper sometimes.
 
"Sorry." I blushed, I was truly embarrassed. I wasn't trying to be offensive. At least we didn't speak in Spanish that would had been more rude.
 
"It's okay." Gongchan chuckled. "You can get to know a person in a week pretty well, especially if you hangout with them constantly."
 
"Hold on." Sandeul interrupted. "What year are you?"
 
"1991.”
 
"I'm 1992, that means I can call you noona too." Sandeul grinned.
 
Oh great, make me feel old.
 
"Please Sandeul, I'm only three months older than you." I said rolling my eyes.
 
"Cathy, you can call us oppa." Gongchan suggested, turning towards my sister.
 
"Don't even think about it. I hate that word." She replied, shaking her head. She really does.
 
For some reason this made all of us laugh, at the same time Baro, Shinwoo, and Jinyoung had arrived. They just stared at us but, did not ask anything. We all stayed up for a bit more; I ended leaving into the tent a bit earlier, I was so tired.
 
"I'm kind of tired." I quietly announced. "I'll see you all tomorrow. Cathy are you going to sleep?"
 
"Na, I'll be there later." Cathy replied. 
 
This is why she always wakes up late.
 
I checked my phone it was 11:08p.m.
 
"Night." I waved, then got into my tent. I quickly felt asleep.
 
I rolled from side to side but I couldn't go back to sleep. I groaned, this could only mean I'm stressed. I summited my medical school application a few days ago and was completely nervous about the wait and secondary applications. I couldn't take the feeling anymore, I decided to get fresh air. I quietly opened the tent and stepped out.
 
I almost screamed in surprise when I saw Jinyoung sitting in one of the chairs around the almost dead fire. However, I just slightly jumped.
 
He looked up at me, surprised.
 
"Did I startle you?" I asked softly. He sure did startle me.
 
"Just a little, don't worry." He said as he passed he's fingers through his orange hair. "Is everything okay?"
 
"Yes." I nodded. "Just a bit stressed."
 
"I am also." He added looking up at me. "You can sit down you know."
 
I had forgotten I was standing. I quickly took a seat across the fire facing him.
 
We both stayed quiet for what seemed forever.
 
Finally he broke the silence. "You know Gongchan is referring to you as noona, right?"
 
"Yeah." I chuckled.
 
"He gets attached too quickly. He's like a puppy." Jinyoung said with a smile.
 
"What about Sandeul?" I asked.
 
"Not that much, actually. He doesn't feel as comfortable saying it." Jinyoung replied. He sat slightly slouching with his arms crossed in front of his chest.
 
"Do I annoy you?" I suddenly asked.
 
Jinyoung looked stunned at my boldness. "Not really. I was just worry you girls were going to be a distraction. Also, when I saw the box of condoms I thought I should worry."
 
"Worry about what?" I questioned curiously.
 
"Well, most of the members are very inexperience. I don't want them to do something they might regret, especially if it got out to the public."
 
"You really think I would do that?" I was sort of offended.
 
"I don't think that anymore. I know you both a lot better now."
 
I smiled but did not reply. Wow, I wonder who are the s and who are not...
 
"Well, I'm sleepy again, I'll see you tomorrow." I announced as I stood up.
 
Jinyoung also stood. "I'm also tired, see you tomorrow." Then he bowed. "Goodnight."
 
Kind of like their song... I mentally laughed.
 
"Night" I replied, also bowing.
 
I'm still not used to bowing. This culture is hard for me. I frowned to myself, this is too hard. At least I'm catching up on the language... Just a little bit though... Very little.
 
*********
 
My eyes began to flutter, the sunlight was too strong. After, many failed attempts, I opened my eyes and looked at my sister next to me. Of course, she was still sleeping. I quickly opened the tent and stepped out. I glanced around, it was completely empty, and the fire had completely extinguished.
 
"What are we eating for breakfast?" I asked myself.
 
"We brought some food, it's in the cooler." A voice said from behind me. 
 
I turned around to see who it was. "Are you hungry?"
 
"Of course, I am." Sandeul replied. "I'll get something for us."
 
"Get something for me too." Baro said as he emerged from the tent. "Good morning, shorty."
 
Wow,really, really Baro? Shorty?
 
"You. Don't speak to me so informally." I exclaimed with a serious face.
 
"What?" He looked flustered. "I'm sorry, was it the shorty? I don't know how to speak formally in English." 
 
"Aish, I'm just kidding Baro." I said playfully rolling my eyes. "There's not many formalities in English. Anyways we are friend, treat me as your noona."
 
I can't believe I just said that. 
 
"What are you kids doing up so early?" Shinwoo asked, referring to the guys.
 
"The excitement of another day." Sandeul said excitedly trowing a first in the air.
 
Oh my gosh, what a dork. I couldn't help it, I bursted out laughing. I earned a strange look from all of them. Eventually they joined me and Sandeul looked pleased that he made me laugh. They still obviously don't know the complete real me. 
 
"What's going on?" A sleepy Gongchan asked emerging from the tent.
 
Just like their song again. I laughed on the inside. 
 
"I'm so sorry, did I wake you?" I questioned with an apologetic smile. 
 
"Don't worry, noona." He smiled. "I just wanted to join in on the fun." 
 
Eventually Jinyoung woke up, followed by Cathy.
 
"What are we doing today?" She asked.
 
"Let's go hiking." Shinwoo suggested. "We should explore."
 
"I think that's a great idea." I added.
 
Everyone was all for it, so we packed snacks and some basic gear.
 
"Everyone ready?" Jinyoung asked. 
 
Be careful, the alpha male has spoken. I smiled to myself, I'm funny. No, not really. Okay, stop.
 
It took five more minutes for everyone to be completely ready. 
 
We began hiking in a line. Shinwoo being the most experienced led the group, followed by Jinyoung, Gongchan, Cathy, Baro, me, and Sandeul. Jinyoung had separated Baro and Sandeul because they were 'bickering' too much.
 
We walked for what seemed thirty minutes, then stopped to look at the view. I was impressed. We then kept hiking. We each carried a backpack with a small rope, three water bottles, three granola bars, a flashlight, our cellphones, and mosquito repellant.
 
"I want to practice my Korean, let's speak only Korean." Cathy brightly suggested.
 
"That's a good idea, awesome for trying Cathy." Baro commented, praising my sister.
 
Whatever, my Korean is awful and barely existent. I just decided to stay quiet, I was so lost in the conversation.
 
Suddenly, I saw a water deer in the woods and decided to go see it. It obviously saw me and ran away, that's when I had the bright idea to run after it. Sandeul being behind me saw this happening, he ran after me.
 
"Jessy." He called after me.
 
I ignored him, I loved animals and was not about to waste this opportunity.
 
"Jessy!" He called once again. "Please stop!"
 
Obviously him being faster, he eventually caught up. He grabbed my shoulders to make me stop.
 
"What is wrong with you?" He shouted. "You want to get lost?"
 
I opened my eyes wide, I was surprised at his temper. I mean this was dorky Sandeul.
 
"I-I'm sorry." I stuttered a bit. No one has ever made me so quiet.
 
He looked at me and sighed. "Don't make that face." He shook me a little by the shoulders. "I didn't mean to be rude. I just got worry, this place is pretty big. You can easily get lost."
 
"I understand." I said looking at him. "Let's get back before they worry."
 
"Sounds good." He smiled at me. "Follow me."
 
He then began waking the wrong way.
 
"Sandeul it's this way." I called after him.
 
"No, I'm sure it's this way." He contradicted.
 
Oh . 
 
"Don't tell me we're lost." I said shaking my head.
 
"No." Sandeul said trying to sound confident, I could tell he wasn't. However, I decided to follow him.
 
We walked for fifteen minutes.
 
"I don't think we ran that far, it shouldn't be taking this long." I whined.
 
"You are completely right." He agreed. "What should we do?"
 
"I have no idea." I said slumping down onto the ground, followed by Sandeul. It's this really happening?
 
"I'm hungry." Sandeul whined.
 
"Are you serious?" I crossed my arms. "Eat a granola bar."
 
"I ate all of mines." He said shyly.
 
Oh God. I was getting stressed.
 
"Here." I said handling him one from my bag. 
 
"Thank you, noona." He said politely.
 
"Please, don't call me that." I said calmly.
 
"Why?" He asked raising his eyebrows and taking a bite from the granola bar.
 
"I'm only three months older. I just don't want to feel older than I am." I explained.
 
"Call me oppa then." He reasoned.
 
"No." I simply said. "We're too close of age, it's weird."
 
"You have a point." He nodded, finishing the granola bar.
 
"Hey!" I suddenly shouted, making Sandeul jump.
 
"Ash, what?" He asked grabbing his chest. "You scared the out of me."
 
"Call Jinyoung with your cellphone." 
 
He snapped his fingers. "Oh right."
 
He took his phone out from his bag and dialed. He repeated the same motion about three times.
 
"Dang, I have no signal, the call is not going through. Do you have signal?"
 
"Nope." I said checking my phone. "What are we going to do?"
 
Sandeul thought for a minute. "Let's go up the mountain. See if we can see the campsite or the river from there."
 
It actually was a good idea, I motioned him to lead. After twenty agonizing minutes of going uphill we made it.
 
"Okay, look." He said, trying to catch his breath. "There's the river."
 
I looked to where he pointed and he was right. "Okay..."
 
"All we need to do is walk down the river, away from that mountain. See?" 
 
I nodded. "How are you sure that's the right way?" 
 
"Look at the road we came on all the way over there." 
 
I looked to where he pointed and, indeed, I could see it. Getting to the river didn't look so far, but I'm sure it's farther than it looks.
 
I sighted. "Let's try to cover as much ground as we can before it gets dark."
 
"Hold on." Sandeul said pulling something out of his bag. "Take out your rope and let's tie ourselves together."
 
I did as I was told and we headed out. We decided to turn one of the phones off to preserve battery. I followed right next to Sandeul. I was so grateful I had gotten lost with him. If I was by myself I wouldn't be able to get back for sure.
 
We walked for almost three hours, including small breaks. It was beginning to get dark, thankfully we shortly after reached the river.
 
"Let's stop here for the night." Sandeul said kneeling on the ground and taking out a lighter. "Let's make a fire, it will get cold."
 
Sandeul made the fire and I sprayed us with mosquito repellant. Finally we sat against an old log. We were both quietly watching the fire. I grabbed my bag.
 
"Here." I handed Sandeul one of the two granola bars left. "This is all the food we have left."
 
"Thank you, I was starving." He said with a small nod.
 
I bet he was. 
 
"This has been quite an adventure, huh?" He stated nudging me with his elbow lightly.
 
"I guess." I shrugged with a chuckled. "If you want to see it that way."
 
"Yeah, but we need to get back. We don't want anyone to worry." He said biting his granola bar.
 
"Especially you." I replied. He turned to look at me curiously, I kept looking forward at the fire. "If I disappear it's just another tourist accident. No one will care, except maybe my family. But you, if you disappear, thousands of your fans will cry for you. People will notice, you're somebody."
 
Sandeul just stared at me for what seemed a long time but in reality it was for just a few seconds. He eventually spoke. "My life and your life are worth the same. People will definitely miss you. Please don't feel less than what you're worth"
 
I turned to look at him. "We're in this situation because of me. I dragged you into this, things like this always happen to me."
 
Oh . A tear felt down, I quickly wiped it.
 
Sandeul noticed and he moved a bit closer to me, placing his right arm around my shoulder. "Don't cry, You are so smart, nice, and you will do great things."
 
"You think I'm nice?" I laughed wiping my tears.
 
"I do." He laughed, letting go of my shoulder. "You are like a boiled egg. You have a thin hard exterior but it cracks easily. You're just trying to protect yourself. I know, I used to do the same."
 
"You sure are full of surprises, Lee Sandeul." I smiled.
 
"Lee Sandeul?" He laughed. "How do you know to call me that?"
 
"Tumblr." I said embarrassed.
 
"Oh, I bet you look at Jinyoung hyung's tumblr a lot." He teased.
 
"What? No!" I exclaimed, involuntarily moving away from him.. Is he crazy, what is he trying to say.
 
"I know you like him." Sandeul kept teasing this time poking my cheek.
 
I ignored the awkward gestured. "I don't like him! I was just looking at the groups tumblr." I said in my defense.
 
"I see the way you try to bicker with him just to get his attention." Sandeul pointed out.
 
"Oh my gosh. No, no, no, not the case," I shook my head. "Sandeul seriously, tell me you're the only one missed informed."
 
"Nope." Sandeul smirked. "Baro and Gongchan also think there's something there. Shinwoo hyung doesn't and Jinyoung hyung is out of the loop."
 
Thank God. 
 
"Sandeul, listen. I. don't. like. him." I said slowly.
 
"Okay, okay, I guess we were wrong." He chuckled. "But, why not? He's not your style."
 
"My style?" I asked, looking at him with a confused expression.
 
"Your type." He corrected.
 
"My type is anyone I'm attracted to physically and emotionally. I don't have a type. Jinyoung is cute but I don't know him like that. Also, if I said he's my style that means I'm only attracted to Asian man?"
 
Sandeul just bursted out laughing. "I never thought about it like that." He said between laughs. "I guess I don't have a type either then."
 
"Let's rest." I suggested. "We have a bit more walking tomorrow and we're out of food and down to one bottle of water each."
 
Sandeul nodded and pulled out a sleeping bag.
 
I was surprised. "Why did you bring that for hiking?"
 
I was glad he did though.
 
"You never know, better safe than sorry." He replied. He open the sleeping bag completely so it would be bigger.
 
We had to lay a bit close. Thankfully, there was some space between us. We didn't have anything to cover ourselves with but, the fire helped keep us warm.
 
We said our 'good nights' and I quickly fell asleep.
 
 
**********
Sorry I took so long to update chapter 6 & 7. I'm trying to be more diligent about updating. I usually make my chapters long and edit them until perfect. This all takes time, I'm also a very  pre-medical student. Comment and subscribe, that would be awesome. This get more interesting, I promise. Also, feel free to tell me what you specificity like out don't like about the story or chapters. I'm sorry of some of you think things are going slow but, I really like transition; it's more realistic. Have a great day!  =)