Chapter 1

I'm Not Predictable

 

 I glanced over at my sister and could tell she was bored out of her mind. Summer was about to start and she dreaded the fact that it was going to be her last free summer for a while. The thing is, she just graduated high school and her college days would begin on August.
 
  "Cathy, what are you so pissy about?" I asked. I was laying on the small couch, flipping through the TV channels. There was nothing worth watching on TV.
 
"Ugh, I have nothing to do today, I have nothing to do tomorrow, next week or in a month." She said, her tone full of annoyance.
 
I sighed, little sisters could be really dramatic. I got my tablet and opened by bank account... Okay, so I did get quite a bit back from the scholarship. 
 
"Ca, how much money do you have in your savings account from your graduation gifts and your part-time? " 
 
She took her tablet, and from the looks of it checked her bank account. "I have 1,657 dollars. Why?" She asked, skeptical at my intentions.
 
"Let's take a trip." I simply replied.
 
"Where?" Cathy questioned. She did not look convinced.
 
"Anywhere... It doesn't matter.",
 
"My money isn't enough. How much do you have?" Cathy asked, eyeing me suspiciously.
 
"2,856 dollars." I replied. She looked surprised, so I explained myself. "It's the money I got back from the scholarship."
 
"Anyways. How are we going to pay rent if we blow all our money on this trip?" Cathy sure had a lot of questions.
 
I thought about it. "How about we put the house for rent, just for the time we're gone. We live close to all the amusement parks, we could rent on airbnb for 65 dollars a night. People will go for it; we have a kitchen, two rooms, and two bathrooms."
 
"I guess that sounds good." Cathy admitted. "Let's decide where we're going."
 
I thought about it, but... really... nothing came to mind. Maybe we should do it by luck. I took a piece of paper from my desk and ripped it into 6 pieces. 
 
"Write down three places and I'll do the same." I instructed my sister, she did as she was told. The pieces of paper were then placed inside a bowl. "Okay, the last piece of paper left it's where we're going."
 
Cathy nodded and reached for one of the pieces of paper. "France." She called out. 
 
I went next, "Italy"
 
"Korea."
 
"Germany."
 
"Italy." I guess Cathy picked Italy also.
 
We eyed the last piece of paper carefully. I had no idea what was left, all my papers were already taken out. I extended my hand and slowly took out the last piece of paper, I opened it carefully and read. "Huh? Korea again?" I guess Cathy and I have the same taste in... countries.
 
"Well, it's settle." Cathy said happily. She had gotten happier and happier once she realized this trip was really going to happened. I then booked the flight and Cathy the hotel. 
 
"Okay, so the flights was 888 dollars, we decidwd to buy one-way for now. We're staying planning to stay over there for a month. I already texted Kimmy and she said she would take care of the people that will rent the apartment. We can wire the rent money to her and she can give the rent money to the office and we deposit the rest to our bank account. Oh, and I told her we'll give her100 dollars for the trouble."
 
Cathy smiled and added "I booked the airbnb... It was about 35 dollars a night with the monthly discount... I hope it's not in a sketchy place... But the reviews were great."
 
I smiled at her and replied. "We'll manage." I looked over at the Calendar, May 18... We leave on May 30. "Cat, save however much money you can from your part-time. I'll save money too. Try to entertain yourself until then. You know I'll barely be home, I'm taking the summer off from school, but, I still have to get everything done for the fall semester."
 
Cathy, rolled her eyes and nodded. I rolled my own and went back to flipping through the channels. 
 
Oh, I forgot. "Ca." I called. She looked at me, signaling for me to keep going. "You need to get your passport, let's do that tomorrow. It takes a while to get here. So, we'll go directly  to the office down in Miami."
 
"Okay, we will." She paused for a second. "You know Jessy... I'm kind of excited."
 
I looked at her and couldn't help but to smile, I was excited too.
 
******************
 
Packing was never fun, especially packing a month's worth of clothes.  I packed some essentials and some 'what if'. For example, condoms. I wasn't planning on hooking up with anyone, but... better safe than sorry. 
 
After five minutes of more packing, I sighed and threw myself back on the floor.
 
"Jessenia, what are you doing?" I asked myself, placing both my hands over my eyes. "You know zero Korean and the closest you've ever gotten to the culture is when you ate Korean BBQ."
 
I laughed. Why do I always talk to myself?... After finishing the conversation with myself I stood up and went to check on Catherine. I walked towards her room and stood at the doorway.
 
"Kimmy called." I stated. "Last family already booked the few remaining days. Remember to put your important in the storage room."
 
Cathy nodded, adding, "Can you believe we leave in only two days? Time just flies."
 
I guess... I nodded, "Kimmy, is taking us to the airport, so be ready on time." I then turned to leave. "Download a translator to your tablet and phone, I already did."
 
**************
 
"Kimmy," I began, "Please, do not let these strangers wreck my apartment and steal my ."
 
She laughed. "I wont." 
 
I thanked her with a hug "Call me if anything, okay."
 
She nodded. "Don't worry, I have you on speed dial."
 
I smiled. "Bye, Kim-hoe."
 
She laughed. "You're out of control, Jess-hoe."
 
We waved goodbye as Cathy and I walked to baggage check. This is the worst part about airports, they make you almost strip.
 
Cathy and I sat at the gate, waiting to board.
 
"You know the trip is 18 hours long, right? She asked, narrowing her eyes.
 
"What?" I frowned.
 
"Yeah, and two of the hours is a layover in San Francisco." 
 
I gave an exasperated sigh. This trip is going to be real long and real exhausting.  
 
************
 
I was awaken by the flight attendant's voice booming through the speaker saying we're about to land. Of course, I only understood when it was announce in English.
 
"B, wake up." I said as I shook Cathy.
 
"Jessy, Why?" She groaned.
 
"Because we're landing. What other reason would I have wake you up!" Ugh, I have y jet lag...
 
I'm pretty sure she cursed me under her breath, but, I don't care.
 
When the plane's door finally opened, we gathered our stuff and walked over to baggage claim. You could tell Seoul was a big city, the airport was overflowing with people. It's weird seeing everything around you in a different language, except for the few English phrases here and there. 
 
After we were able to get our luggage, I turned to Cathy. "Message the airbnb host and make sure the place is available."
 
"But the bag is heavy." Cat whined.
 
"Throw that over your shoulder and send the text." She quickly pouted then made sent the message. I wasn't being insensitive, I was already pulling two of our bags.
 
I could see her concentrating in  phone as she comfirmed with the host as we made our way through a maze looking kind of hallway. I just hope we find the bus stop.
 
"I know what I'm saying lady." She types as she spoke out loud. "Ugh, let me get the comfirmation." I heard Cathy say, he fingersaid furiously typing in her phone. Cathy stopped and began looking through her email. Suddenly, someone came out from one of the hallways that connected to this one. Before I could warn Cathy, the speeding figure bumped against her and with the help of the heavy bag on her shoulders she felt on her knees, her phone and purse flying from her hands as she used them to help break the fall.
 
"." She hissed, still on her knees. She took the bag off from her shoulders and sat on the floor, her arms extended in front of her.
 
I placed all the luggage I was carrying on the side against the wall then quickly kneeled next to her. Both her knees were completely scraped... I told the not to wear a skirt.
 
"Ca... That is some serious rug burn." I said eyeing her knees. "I mean... What the heck, you scraped the out of your knees."
 
She glared at me. "Okay, I get it. Stop it."
 
The guy, who's been standing there said something. I looked up at him and noticed there were people surrounding us now.
 
"I don't mean to be rude, but we don't speak Korean." I said politely. Which I shouldn't, he bumped the crap out of my sister.
 
"He said 'sorry'." Cathy replied instead.
 
I turned my attention to her. "Since when are you an expert in Korean?"
 
"I'm not, I just know a few words." She replied.
 
Oh....
 
"I'm sorry." The guy said once again, this time in English.
 
"Don't worry." Cathy said, eyeing the nasty blood on her knees. Ew.
 
The guy turned to talk to one of the guys next to him that was wearing all black. They seemed to have a little argument, however, the guy in black left somewhere.
 
"He went to get a first aid kit." The perpetrator informed us, then asked. "Are you okay?" 
 
"Yeah." Cathy replied. Two other guys came to her side and help her up from the floor and into a bench. Where did all these guys come from? There were also like two girls, they're probably a sports team. "Thank you." She said with a smile.
 
We stood in silence while we waited for the first aid kit to arrive. I got sick of the silence, so, I turned towards my sister. "Cathy, what happened with the airbnb?"
 
Cathy sighed then laid her head against the wall. "They said our reservation is for tomorrow."
 
"What?" I said a little too loudly. "Why did you book it for tomorrow?"
 
"I didn't." She retorted. "I just can't seem to find the reservation email." 
 
"Have you checked hostels?" I asked.
 
"That's what I'm doing." Oh... That's what she's been doing on her tablet. "All the cheap ones are booked, and the hotel available are are like presidential suites for 200 dollars a night."
 
"How can that many rooms be book!" I exclaimed.
 
"There's a big concert tomorrow, many people have flown from all Korea to attend." Said one of the guys. Nosey much.
 
I turned to him. "Are you serious." I stated more than asked but he still nodded.
 
"I blame you." I turned towards Cathy.
 
"Me!"
 
"Yes, you! You're irresponsible!" We then began arguing while the guy went back to the others, they seemed to be having a secret Korean meeting, that I did not care about. 
 
Finally, the first aid kit arrived. I patched Cathy up and thanked the guys. "Thank you. You didn't have to stay, but thank you for your help."
 
I turned to Cathy, "Let's go, we need to figure out what we're going to do." I said to Cathy as she stood up. 
 
Suddenly, the guy that bumped into Cathy appeared next to her. "Once again, I'm very sorry. Hope your knees will heal soon." He extended her his hand, Cathy grabbed it and shook it. Weird, I thought Koreans only bowed. He then very quietly whispered. "Take a taxi here in about twenty minutes. You'll be able to stay here for the night."
 
Cathy retreated her hand and I noticed a small piece of paper in her hand. What the heck...
 
Cathy was discrete, not paying it much attention. "Thank you, eh... Sir."
 
He chuckled. "Not sir. My name is Baro."
 
After that they all left, I quickly turned to Cathy. "What is that?"
She opened the piece of paper and looked at it. "So.." I pressed for information.
 
"It's an address..." 
 
"Well, we're not going. All this seems sketchy to me. I mean there was what, six guys and two girls? They could be some kind of cult." I said while crossing my arms.
 
"Is everything that comes out of your mouth about ?" Cathy questioned, her eyes still on the piece of paper.
 
"This is the first time I mentioned anything about today." I took the luggage that laid against the wall and began walking, leaving Cathy behind. "Stand up. Let's at least try to get a taxi."
 
Cathy stood up and quickly followed. "Where are we sleeping? In the streets?" Cathy questioned. She was starting to annoy me.
 
"Ahh!" I stopped walking and turned to face her. "Fine! We'll check it out. Just, just take your stunt gun out of your luggage and put in your purse and I'll do the same."
 
"I hope it's nothing... dangerous. I don't want to tazze anyone" Cathy added as she placed the stunt gun in her purse.
 
I was finally able to get a taxi. Once in the taxi, the driver turned to us and began talking. I just handed him the piece of paper. I'm guessing that by that gesture and the way we look he understood and began driving. Today hasn't been the best first day, I just hope things gets better.