Coffee Love Story Part 2

SFNY One Shots

 

***

The night ran fast through our coffee cups. We were so into the conversation, the next time I checked into my watch it was almost 1 in the morning. I was worried for her, somebody might be waiting for her home so I initiated the idea of packing up and heading home.

“Oh, it’s um, almost one. So uh, it was a nice time chatting with you.” I said with a smile while I tidied up our place. We were the only ones left in the shop since it was way past closing time. She also stood up and went to the doorway.

“Hey! Um, I think it’s unsafe for you to take a cab home at this time. If you want, uh, I’ll give you a ride home?” I was a bit hesitant, after all I didn’t have a car with me. Just a sporty motorbike.

“Um, okay if you insist.” Then she smiled at me. I swiftly moved to get my keys and the extra helmet inside my office. When I came out I saw her standing in front of the window, still glancing at the still darkness of the late night.

“Let’s go?” I paved my way to the doorway and led her out. After I locked all the doors and entry points we walked to my bike.

“Oh, um, sorry if it’s not the ride you were expecting.” I snapped on my back being shy about the situation but I got an unexpected reply of a smile and a modest nod.

“It’s cool. Really. It’s my first time to ride a motorbike. I think that would be awesome!” she threw a thumbs up and got the other helmet from my hand. I let out a frayed smile and put on my helmet. I hopped on the bike and she followed suit. I didn’t waste any minute and drove to her place.

We stopped by an apartment complex somewhere in Apgujeong. I was surprised, it was just three blocks away from my pad, but of course I didn’t dare to make unnecessary comments anymore. That would make me much of a creeper.

“So, this is it. Want to go up?” she asked. Seriously, why is she like this? Doesn’t she know she might get into trouble when she talks and be friends with the wrong person? I was really worried how easily she trusts people. I was thinking maybe she really had something bothering inside of her.

“Oh, um no. It’s getting late, and I’m thinking you might need your rest. Maybe next time. I’m just around the corner, so uh, yeah.”  I said while defending that I’m cool with just driving her home.

“Really? Where?” she asked with so much curiosity.

“Oh, just there in 6th avenue. You can visit the shop anytime, I’ll be there but um, there are slacking off moments too so you can give me a ping here.” I handed out my card with a number on it. I hope she doesn’t mind, I was just giving out a kind gesture.

“Cool. Oh, um, I don’t have a card. Oh I know, wait.” She rummaged through her handbag and brought out a pink sharpie. Tiffany got my hand and started writing her digits on my palm. It was tickling me but my eyes were focused on her. How could she be like this?

“There, save it immediately okay? That might wash off.” She let out a cute pout followed by a smile. I nod and told her to go up since it was getting chilly. She thanked me again and walked inside the complex.

When I got home I saw a message from an unknown number. I opened it and it said,

Thanks again Siwon-ssi! See you soon! –Tiffany

It was not really something to squeal about but the thought of Tiffany sending me this message just overwhelms me. That night, I decided to Google her name. Just for the heck of it. I want to know more of how this girl lives her life under the lime light.

***

Since that day, we would casually exchange text messages every day. She told me she was busy with a tour and had been flying to Japan to and fro every week. I told her how things went fine as usual in the shop and how the idea of looking her up in Google struck me the night we met again. She was laughing at it the whole time and teased me about being a sasaeng fan. I never knew what was that until I googled again. She’s really something I thought, not as bad as I have read in some rumors.

I thought that we wouldn’t meet in person anymore since she was really one heck of a busy woman but while I was working on a financial report one Friday evening my phone rang.

“Yo!” she said like she was a rapper or something from the hip hop hood.

“Hey hey. Wassup?” I tried to ride on her funny antic.

“Can I come over tonight on your shop, or are you doing something?” Tiffany asked.

“No, um, not busy at all. Sure, just drop by. I’ll be waiting.” I said that last phrase with a smile on my face. Somehow my heart wandered to see her again. I was looking forward to it, I literally threw all the paperwork I was doing on the floor.

“Nice! Be right there in a minute!” she dropped the call while I hurried in front of the mirror and fixed myself. Now I don’t know what has gotten into me. Why am I trying to impress this one girl I know that won’t be in my reach? She’s a pop star, idol image and I’m she has a lot of cute boys surrounding her and me? I’m just a café boy who waits for twelve midnight to close his own shop. I pondered with it quite a while when someone knocked on my door.

“Sir, Miss Tiffany is waiting for you outside.” The barista told me. I gave a slight nod and fixed myself again one more time. When I opened the door, it’s like I saw a new her. She had straight long black hair and she was dressed up more casually. The first time we met, she had brown curly locks and she was outfitted like she got out from a fancy shoot or something.

“Hi.”

“Hi. Long time no see?” she said.

And just like that we were bound for another round of endless talk over our cups of coffee. There were random topics, but slowly as the nigh fades, it grew into a deeper one, personal lives involved and some of our heartaches I guess.

“I never knew you stayed in California.” She chuckled while I tell her  the story of how I got the business.

“Yeah, you were just a few years after me.” I said while finishing my coffee which grew cold.

“It’s pretty cool you can live a normal life. Rather than me, I can’t even like, roam around for a couple of hours by myself. I’m lucky I get to sneak out like this without a manager hanging few blocks from here.” She retorted. My eyebrows twitched, how can someone be so lax about meeting a new friend?

“Mind me asking, but aren’t you afraid I might turn into those ‘sasaeng fans’ you were talking about? You trust me so much and it’s not that I doubt it but shouldn’t you keep your guard up.” I asked curiously.

“Haha, are you serious, no! I’m not even threatened at all.” She shrugged her shoulders while her eyes were gone from smiling too much.

“Why? Truthfully, I’m a bit worried for you.”  I can’t understand why she was laid back on me.

“The moment you gave me those brownies I knew you were someone who I could talk to. Someone worthwhile.” She said and I was surprised because all this time she knew I was the one who gave it.

“You knew? H-How?”

“Well, is there any other manager here?” she looked around while taking a sip at her coffee.

“Oh. Um, I have another thing. I hope you don’t mind but, why were you crying that night?” I sat back hoping to get good answers.

“You really want to know?” I was worried because she pulled a straight face after saying that.

“Um, yeah if it’s nothing, um, personal.” I gulped then she smirked at me.

“Haha, my goodness Siwon, you already told me your childhood and I told you about my story before debuting then you’re saying it’s too personal? Haha, you’re really something.” She chuckled while clasping her coffee mug.

“Just making sure your majesty.” I playfully said and she went back to her serious tone.

“Um, it’s about my boyfriend. Oh um, ex-boyfriend to be exact. Nichkhun, he’s such a loser. He replaced me with a girl he met at some bar. What a jerk. We haven’t been seeing each other for a month then all I get is this news that he flirted with this girl she found amazing than me.” She vented out slightly angry.

“I-I’m sorry I asked about that. B-But have you got over him?” My words were not coming together. It was a bit overboard but I thought it would help her if somebody listened to her rants.

“Like hell yeah. I won’t turn back even if he pleads to me in front of everyone here in Seoul. It was too much to take. The girls said that we were a perfect couple but screw that, if one messes up with the relationship then dump the whole dreamy couple thing.” Her words were strong and I can feel a little bit of angst.

“Um, so you guys are actually allowed to date?” I tried to change the topic.

“Haha, so you also read from Google that we aren’t allowed to?” her smile was back and I was glad that I could make her smile easily.

“Kind of. But yeah so are you guys allowed to?”

“Of course! Just keep it low, the company doesn’t want rumors, so we have to be extra careful.” She explained while I nodded and tried to pull out a derp face.

“Haha! That’s funny! Your girlfriend must be really lucky to have you. There are rare guys who listen to girls’ petty lovelife problems.” She commented on my derp looking face. I was surprised with what she said. All this time she thought I had a girlfriend. After exchanging numbers and all? That disheartened me.

“Ah, ani. I don’t have. What makes you think I have one?”  I got my hands out empty.

“You have coffee and a cool motorbike and you don’t have a girlfriend? Impossible. With looks like that, at first glance you could be one of Nichkhun’s apprentices. Just kidding! But yeah, looks like that, nobody will tell you you’re a bachelor.” I was kind of hurt and amused at the same time. Tiffany mocked me for being good looking and accused me of being a playboy but then she told me I should get a girlfriend.

“Haven’t been a relationship since college. So that’s a no.” I said confidently.

“So why did you guys broke up? Don’t tell me it’s personal, you just asked mine!” My jaws were left ajar and I just had to tell her about my ex-girlfriend Hyo Jin. Well, we broke up because she wanted to focus on her MBAs. That was nerve wrecking and weird. A girl who actually chose studies before a guy. Tiffany was amused by the way I tell my stories. Somehow, I grew accustomed of her, she was comfortable to hang out with and honestly, I never felt like that for a while.

“Um Siwon, I guess I’ll go ahead. It’s getting late. It was nice catching up with you. Thanks again.” She stood up and gathered her things. I lead her to the doorway.

“I can take you again home, you sure?” I opened the door and she went out first.

“Oh, I’m driving. She got her keys and went to her car.” That was, off.

“Okay then, have a safe drive.” I leaned on the passenger window and looked at her for the last time.

“Thanks again Siwon, it felt a lot better having a friend to visit here. See you soon.” She started the engine.

“No worries. Just keep in touch. Good night.”  I got up and waved. She did the same. The windows were up and she drove away. Now what is wrong with me, my heart wandered that she will text me tonight or call me the next few days. It was wrong. She was right. I’m slowly falling in love.

***

Those days of meeting up together grew into months. My day was not complete if I haven’t received a text about how it went or a simple good morning message. It was like a routine. We had something special more than just talking over cups of coffee. We went out for dinner, watched DVDs in my pad, and stayed up all night on the phone when we can’t meet. The occasional meetings grew to something more committed; I knew we were both into something special. Not lovers, not just friends, but something in between. It was nice, having that kind of relationship.

“Who’s this?” she pointed out a photo of a girl on her phone. She had me memorize the names of all her group’s members.

“Uh, Seo, Seoyoung? Haha, I don’t know!” I laughed hard trying to remember the eight other names she told me earlier. We were in my office’s couch and sitting side by side. She was comfortably leaning on my shoulders while she shuffled through the pictures.

“You have to know them before I could introduce you! What makes you think they could forgive you for forgetting their names?” She snapped, I face palmed while laughing trying to get out of the embarrassing pop quiz.

“Who’s this?” she showed a photo of a short haired girl with a visible pout. I found it easy.

“Sunny! That’s Sunny. English name, it’s easier. And she’s the only one sporting a short hair.” I clapped from my victory while she laughed at me.

“You’re really an American kid. You can’t even handle a handful of Korean names!” She poked my cheeks and I got her hands away from it.

“Haha, of course. Let’s stop this and let’s go have dinner.” I was getting ready to stand up but she pulled me back and hugged me tight in the waist while her head rested on top of my chest.

“Just for a while.” Tiffany said. My heart stopped feeling her touch against my skin. I was running an electric current on my veins. I didn’t know what to do, I know we were touchy and all but that hug meant so much to me. My heart was beating fast and I was praying she wouldn’t notice it, because if she knew about my feelings, I was afraid she would turn away.

“Tiffany?” I ran my fingers on her head.

“Siwon?”  while she didn’t part from the embrace.

“Would you, um, uh. I was thinking, um, I had this inside me for so long, um, I like the way you, um, no, I mean, I feel right when were together but I was thinking maybe you know, um, I was, thinking like saying this a long time ago but, I was afraid that you might—“

She kissed me.

“Just say that you like me. You know I won’t turn back, because I like you too.” She stood up and looked at me straight in the eye. I can tell, she was sincere, and my heart, I couldn’t take it. The girl I like, likes me back. We sat silent, waiting for the next few moves.

“It’s not that Tiffany, I um, actually don’t like you. I happen to, fall in love with you. I, I love you.”  Her eyes widened then she let out one of those beautiful smiles I have ever seen. She looked perfect and my hands intertwined with hers. Fits seamlessly. If this was a dream, I would never want to wake up.

“Siwon oppa?” she turned to my direction.

“Hm?”

“Let’s go eat dinner. I’m hungry.” She put on her aegyo which I found irresistible. There was so much happening in one moment, she kissed me, I confessed, she confessed, she called me oppa. The smile won’t leave my face. We stood up but before she could open the door I pulled her close making our faces be inches apart.

“So, are we?”

“Hm? Sifany couple!” she jumped hugged me while I twirled her around.

“Okay, but I want this thing just once.” Tiffany scrunched up her eyebrows without a clue on what I was planning to do. I closed my eyes and let my lips meet hers. It was a short, simple kiss but I feel the sincerity in it. I waited for so long to be in love and feel that feeling again. After the kiss, her eyes twinkled on me and she led me out the door.

[PRESENT]

 

May 2014

Myeong-dong, Seoul

“I’m already here. Yeah, I’m picking him up, So I guess I will see you tonight? Alright, bye.” I dropped the call and went inside the Vet Clinic.

“Hey Siwon.” The guy in the white robe greeted me. He’s Doctor Cho, a verterinarian.

“Yo, how’s Wonmi doing?” I asked while I removed my specs and watch him carry the golden retriever to me. Today was our 4th anniversary. I planned on getting her a dog which she really liked. She always fancied about having a dog and she told me about this kind of breed she liked.

“Doing well. Are you going to pick him up today?” Dr. Cho asked.

“Yep. Is it okay?”

“Yes, yes. I’ll just get the papers you need to sign.” Wonmi is a cute little golden retriever. As soon as I signed the papers, I brought him to his cage and secured it at the backseat of my bike. Tonight is something special, Wonmi is actually going to meet Tiffany for the first time.

***

I was preparing dinner when Wonmi slumped near the kitchen. He was pushing his dog bowl with him and waited for me to see him. My eyes were softened seeing the cute little thing wait for his food in front of me.

“Aww, you hungry little buddy? Sorry because daddy got preoccupied preparing mommy’s dinner. I’ll get you food alright?” I patted the dog’s head and he closed his eyes. The poor little thing munched his dinner fast, but I was wary of the time. I looked to my wrist watch and saw it was almost seven. I have to pick up Tiffany at eight!

Finishing the dinner I made, I grabbed my keys and went to the basement parking. Sat myself up in my car. Yeah, I actually bought one. I can’t be biking all day when you actually have a celebrity girlfriend. I need to make it to the airport in less than half an hour. I don’t want her to be waiting with all the press and stuff.

***

“Is Wonmi already home?” she asked while we were inside the elevator. I pressed the 18th floor button while the doors closed.

“Yeah, I picked him up earlier.” I smiled and intertwined my hands with hers.

“Can’t wait to see him!” she jumped up and down like a 5th grader. The elevator made a ding sound and we got off. We were in front of my unit door when I told her to stop and wait.

“No peeking!” I tied a hanky around her eyes and backhugged her while walking inside,

“Siwon, what is this?” she stubbornly asked. I wrapped my arms around her and guided her inside. When we got in, I closed the door and lead her to the dining room. I hurriedly lit all the candles before she could take off the hanky off.

“Just wait a little bit more.” I came to her side and untied the cover in her eyes. It was a candle light dinner for the both of us. A smile crept up her face then she turned to me.

“Happy Anniversary baby. I love you!” I cupped her face and gave her a kiss on the top of her nose.

“Aww, you didn’t have to do this.” She kissed me on the lips and hugged me tight. Our moment was broken when Wonmi came prodding beside Tiffany’s feet.

“Aww, you’re a cute little thing! You must be Wonmi.” She picked the dog up and adored its irresistible cute looks.

“Siwon he looks like you! Little Wonmi looks like his Daddy!” she chuckled while she brought our faces near. I tried to imitate the dog’s cute little puppy face and she laughed at me. I’m happy when she’s this happy. It’s my own little way of saying I really love her.

At dinner we talked about random things, I was worrying that she was not getting enough rest since she has been leaving in and out of the country. She told me how she missed me in her tours and how things went for their group. It was a nice dinner but I got something planned after. I made an excuse of getting water so I can execute my plan.

I got hold of a red rose with something special on it. I made Wonmi carry it to Tiffany and wait for her reaction. Not far away I heard her pick up Wonmi and compliment on the flower.

“Is this for me? Aww, you and your master are really such a cutie.” I saw her take the rose from Wonmi and something fell with it. Her eyes grew and that’s when I started to walk up front.

“Tiffany, ever since we first met, I knew there was something in you. The way things go right when you’re here, the way that I long for you when you’re away and the way your affections run through my skin. My heart tells me right, I can’t breathe for single second if I won’t be by your side, so um, Tiffany…

Will you marry me?”

I knelt down waiting for her response. Suddenly she hugged me tight while crying softly. Tiffany was too overwhelmed tonight. I’m guessing that she was too happy with what’s around.

“It’s always a yes Siwon. I love you.”  I was wiping her tears away and she was smiling while crying. I brought our faces near each other and sealed her answer with a passionate kiss.