Coffee Love Story

SFNY One Shots

 

 

May 2013

Myeong-dong, Seoul

 

“Yes, yes, I’m actually on my way. No, I think tonight. Yeah, tonight. Alright, arasso, arasso. Goodbye.” The phone call ended. Clutching a helmet out of the café was a young man looking in his late twenties. Along with his manly stance, he was medium built, jet black hair and with a messy stubble. At first glance, he’s some rich pretty boy player who hangouts at bars during weekend nights or maybe one of those guys who hook up for a speed date just for the heck of it. But unfortunately, he is not, not any of them. He walked to his black motorbike that would possibly make the other boys in his age drool. The Ducati bike had a special plate in front, and it seemed like the owner’s name. CHOI SIWON.

SIWON’S POV

My day started perfect. I don’t know why but I felt light on the inside. I’m looking forward to two things today, which I can’t tell you at the moment because if I will, most probably you won’t be finishing this fanfic anymore.

Scratch that.

Before I got out of the coffee shop, I put on my leather jacket and my aviators. Combed my hair with my palm and grabbed the helmet that was on the top of the store counter. Glancing at the skies, it’s a good weather to bike today, I hopped on my motorbike and rammed up the engine. This is going to be a good ride.

[FLASHBACK]

SIWON’S POV

Ah, the smell of freshly brewed coffee in the morning. It’s another day for my café, quite a good one actually. I ran my fingers through the counter top and got a cloth to clean it into perfection. Smiling as I see my own reflection on it. Ever since I finished college I ran this family business of ours in Seoul, and it’s getting well I think. I actually like spending my work hours here rather than being cloistered in an office like when I was still in California. Pretty much of what I can ask for. Checked on the sleeves of my shirt, careful of creases. Combed my hair neatly and put on some perfume. That’s it, I’m all ready to take care of people’s caffeine rush for the day.

There were all sorts of people who come and go. In the morning, the yuppies and mostly bank managers around town lining up for their coffee fix. In the afternoon, old friends who decide to meet up again, maybe an elderly couple too and a handful of students who got out from class. My favorite time of the day? Evenings. Most people who come during nighttime are those who want solitude, those who want to feel the stillness of the passing day over a cup of coffee.

Time check it was almost nine in the evening. The shop usually closes at twelve for those last minute customers who need a coffee bean calibration or pulling an all nighter. This night came pretty memorable for me, I was behind the bar, working on some orders when I heard my staff huddle about in the pantry. They were talking about this certain person who came by the café for a Frappuccino.

“She’s really cute in person.” Another said to my barista while the guy nodded. “But I think she’s a bit skimpy tonight.” The guy barista chipped in. I got curious on their conversation, truth be told, I never really watched TV or went out to see concerts that often. Popular culture was too much to take for me.

I wiped my hands with a paper towel and took off my apron. As soon as I got out of the pantry, I saw a lady sitting by the window with her drink. She was clutching her phone and took occasional glances at it. I was waiting for her to turn around so I can get a good look on her face. Her thoughts were flying outside the window, she watched the little raindrops on the glass. I was guessing her feelings and the drizzle outside were one.

“Who’s that girl?”  I pointed to my staff who was on the cashier that time.

“Oh, that’s Miss Tiffany. Don’t you know him Sir? She’s a member of that KPop group Girls’ Generation.” My staff answered flawlessly. I had no idea. Not even a single thing about her account or who she was, but knowing that she was a celebrity and all made me much curious about her.

I was still glancing at her, hoping she would turn my way so her mystery look won’t be an empty log anymore. That moment came when her phone rang and she turned to my direction to answer it. She had an angelic face, cute expressive eyes and lips that could taste good if they met mine. Okay, scrap the last one, I was just too dreamy and shiz but I wasn’t expecting that look. Hearing that she came from Korea’s National Girl Group, I was expecting a bit of the overrated beauty full of make-up and other cosmetic whatnots but hers was a simple one. Simple stunner.

The conversation was inaudible, but her voice, it sounded so well in my ears. I was mesmerized the first time I saw her. That single night, I felt like I was a teen crushing on some Senior again. My senses wandered around her, but I can feel that she was feeling sad and down. The call was not really as inviting than I thought it would be. She ended it with a deep sigh.

Seeing that, I went back inside the kitchen and got out something for this lady’s solitude. My mom always said that sweets are an effective way to mend someone’s broken heart. I don’t know what the cause of her heart breaking look is but I’m putting up a gentlemanly gesture of how a lady like her should be treated.

“Um, excuse me Miss, my boss wanted to give this to you.” I heard my waiter say while he delivered the pastry I gave out. The little surprise got a favorable response, for the first time, I saw her lovely smile. A curve crept up to her face and her eyes twinkled with it. My heart fluttered seeing the wonderful lady from afar. She looked around, wondering who might be the secret boss who wished for her happiness.

I busied myself in the kitchen going for some last minute calls. It was already quarter to twelve midnight, and we’re tidying up the place for closing. After finishing the kitchen, I went out to check on the counter and the tables outside when I saw her still on the same spot. The brownies were half undone but she was still looking out, a waiter motioned to go near her but I insisted that I should talk to her. Hoping that I could take away some of her worry by meeting a new friend.

“Um, excuse me? I don’t mind interrupting you but, um, our shop’s closing in fifteen minutes.” I tried to speak with my softest voice as if she’s porcelain ready to break anytime if I don’t get to handle her carefully. She looked to my direction and seemed to wipe a tear away. It tooke her a second to realize what I have said but when she got back to her senses, she bowed and apologized.

“Oh, um, sorry I-I didn’t notice the time, sorry.” She stood up and grabbed her things with her. I stepped back and watched her walk her way to the exit. She halted herself when she saw the downpour outside. The drizzle earlier became a continuous deluge of rain.

I scurried to my office and got an umbrella. Quickly, I went beside her and motioned for us to go outside. She was hesitant with my idea but I guess she really needed to head home since it was getting late.

“Are you, um, waiting for your driver?” I asked. Her gaze from the rain shifted to me. Her expressive eyes were now looking at mine. Words were out from my mouth and it was left ajar.

“No, um, I’m just taking a cab home.”  She said. Why am I surprised, they said that you’re a celebrity then you’re waiting for a cab ride home? But of course, I wouldn’t say that. I nodded and we both waited for a cab to pass by the lonesome road.

The umbrella was not really suiting the both of us. I shifted to her side and saw that her arms were wet with droplets of rain. I scooted near her and put the umbrella more on her side. She felt me move and kind of grew awkward on me.

“Um, here, for that one.” I handed out my handkerchief to her so that she can dry her arms with it. She gladly took it from me and started wiping away the water from her skin.

“And for earlier.” Clearing my throat as I tried to look away. She chuckled and I felt a little bit comfortable with her.

“So you saw me?” she asked while smiling. God. It was those eye-smiles again, creeping up to me and slowly turning me into a puddle of mushy goo.

“To tell you honestly, a pretty lady like you shouldn’t be crying like that.”  I remarked. The smile on her face disappeared and was replaced with a straight face.

“How would you know the reason behind that?” she inquired in a less nice tone. Uh oh. Siwon you just busted somebody’s bubble!

“Um, uh, ani. Whatever the reason is, I think girls should be treated like a princess. They deserve much respect and attention from boys. That’s why there is such a word as ‘gentleman’ because it is always a man’s duty to protect a woman.” I answered confidently. Surprisingly, she just shook her head and looked again on the road.

“Yeah right. As if all the boys think like that.” She said. I kept mum. Well ain’t she a man hater? But it was surprising she didn’t hate me the first instance. Not far away I saw a cab coming and I raised my hand for it to stop.

The cab stopped in front of us and I led her to the ride.

“Um, take care miss, um..”

“Tiffany. It’s Tiffany and you?”

“Um, Siwon. Nice too meet you."

She shook my hand and smiled at me again. I’ve been getting a lot but I try to be cool and collected. I closed the passenger seat door and waved at her. The cab slowly sped off and before the ride disappeared from my sight, she mouthed “Thank You!” by the window. I came back to the café, thinking about what just happened.

***

The next day, was much like what happened yesterday. People come and go by the shop from dusk ‘til the dawn. Weekdays were always tiring as usual and it made me beat every end of the day. After a long day of coffee making, we were about to close when a familiar figure entered.

“Um, is Siwon here?” a girl’s voice that sounded familiar to me came by the counter and ask the staff. I was drying the mugs in the wash area when that voice caught my attention.

“Oh, um Manager Choi? Please wait, I’ll just call him.” The staff said and she walked on the way to the wash area and as I expected, she looked for me.

“Sir, someone wants to talk to you outside.”  I nodded and wiped my wet hands on the towel. I went out and met the same girl I waited with last night.

“Hey, you never told me you owned the place?” her eye smiles were still evident even though it was already late at night. I smiled back and just nodded. Tiffany handed me my handkerchief from last night and bowed to say thank you.

“Uhm, want to go have some coffee? It’s on me.” I offered. Since she was already here might as well spend the time maybe getting to know each other.

“Aren’t you guys closing already?” she was a bit hesitant but I just chuckled.

“I thought you knew that I owned the place?” It was a smart play on word and she laughed hearing my witty comeback.

We sat on the same spot she stayed yesterday, I told her about me being clueless who she really was. Because I never really knew Tiffany Hwang not until I met her last night.

“Tell me I’ve been living under a rock but yeah, sorry for that.” I defended myself while she kept on laughing.

“But really, I just like it like this. No celebrity barrier whatever. It’s like showing the real side of me rather than being secluded with Ray Bans and mysterious stereotypes.” She confessed as she took a sip from her coffee and put it back down.

“Yeah, it’s good that it helps.” I said while doing circling motions on my mug.

“I think we could be really good friends.” She said. I  was taken aback, how can she trust me? We just met yesterday, but nonetheless, what she offers is not bad. Friends it is. In the first place that’s what I wanted.