Part Nine

Miss Straight A's VS Mr.(Not So) Perfect

 

            This morning, I woke up from a loud rooster’s crowing sound.  At first, I was too dumbfounded to realize that it is the sound of the alarm from my phone.      

 

                When I already do, I grabbed my phone to turn it off and that was when I saw description saved under it.

 

                It says:

 

Good Morning Grumpy Agasshi!

 

                Gosh, I just open my eyes, why does he have to make me think about him the first thing in the morning?

 

                It’s official.

 

                I think this idiot’s purpose in life is to irritate me to death.

 

                When all I need is to have a good wake up call to start of my day in a good spirit, he easily ruins it by changing my phone’s alarm ringtone? And what’s with the rooster anyway, it sounds like it was dying.

 

                Heol..

                 I’m speechless to the core.

***********************************

 

                After breakfast with my parent, I decide to go to school a bit later than usual. There is only one class in today’s timetable later in the afternoon and I don’t have to attend any research meeting or group discussion either. So before that I plan to go to the gym since it’s been so long since I last hit the treadmill.

 

                “Hyunnie!” I hear someone call my name as I walk inside the gym’s locker room after my exercise routine.

 

                It’s Hyoyeon unnie.

 

                She is standing in front of one of the lockers, with red tank tops in her hand. I greet her with a smile on my face. It’s been quite a while since we saw each other since I last saw her at the airport.

 

                Was it three weeks ago when I sent her off?

 

                 She was going to Japan to visit her grandmother who is now living there.

 

                But, she didn’t tell me she was coming back. I did plan to pick her up when she come back but I guess there is no need for it now.

 

                “Oh, Hyoyeon unnie! It’s nice to see you here. When did you come back? But don’t you usually always be at the café this time around?” I say.

 

                Hyoyeon unnie’s mother owns quite many bookstores around Seoul. Not just that, just a few blocks away from my school, there is this cute book café I often visit that is also owned by her mother. That was also where I first met her. I love spending time reading at the café and I've gone there frequent enough for us to start talking to each other and ended up in a very close ‘unnie-dongsaeng’ relationship.

 

                I don’t really have many close friends around. Since I’m the type who would listen rather than talk, it’s hard for me to initiate a conversation. Well, except when I’m around Jinwoon and Hyoyeon. I guess I’m comfortable enough around them for me to be able to talk a lot.

 

                “Nope, I asked a friend to fill up for me until the evening, one of the part time worker quit last week, thank god that person willing to help for a while” she says cheerfully.

 

                A friend?

                Hyoyeon unnie never let anyone take charge of the café that easily.

                That person must be really close to her.

 

                “I see, so you’re done working out already or just starting?” I ask although I already have a rough idea that she might just get here.

 

                “Just got here, want to do it together?” Hyoyeon ask while closing her locking door as she done changing into her bright red outfit.

 

                “Oh, I’m done for today, maybe next time. Plus, I have a lecture to attend in less than two hours,” I say, politely declining her offer.

 

                She nod a few times and adds, “When will you finish your class today? I want to go and pick some new books at the store for the café, would you like to come? Since my mom think that you usually pick better titles than I do. Well, that figures right? Since I do it because my mom wants me to, but you really love books, so it makes sense if you have better insight than me.”

 

                She giggles at her own words.

                I have no idea what’s so funny about the things she said just now, but since it’s really like her to laugh and giggles randomly like this, I don’t feel lost like I did before when I first get to know her.

 

                This unnie is really different than I am. She’s just so fun and funny and cheerful. It’s like she’s a walking endorphins. I always feel good when I’m around her.

 

                “Sure unnie. That would be great.”

 

                We part after we promise to wait for each other in front of my school gate.

 

***********************************

                Unlike yesterday, today’s class with Professor Jung went smooth and steady. I get to focus on the lecture the whole time and it makes me feels good. The topic we discussed today, I’ve already read a little about it beforehand so it’s much easier to understand.

 

                I did try to look around as I wonder if Yonghwa would come again today although I’m pretty convinced that he won’t.

 

                I don’t know why, I just do – and I was right.

 

                If you ask why, from what I see, Yonghwa is at some way, another version of Jinwoon. Each has their own band and each rarely goes to class. The difference is, one is a genius, while the other one is an idiot.               

               

                 – And the idiot I’m talking about is none other than Jung Yonghwa.

 

                When the class ends, I walk straight towards the door when suddenly Professor Jung calls out.

 

                “Seohyun agasshi,”

 

                I turn around and then walk towards the lecturer table near the computer where Professor Jung is standing.

 

                “Yes professor, is there anything you need from me?” I say, curious as to why he is calling me. I really like Professor Jung, he really is a good teacher, which is why I was so shocked when I heard that idiot calling Professor Jung’s lecture as boring.

 

                “Oh, I just want to say, the report that you turned up last week is very impressive. I just want to say ‘keep up the good work’” he says as he smiles at me encouragingly.

 

                I bow down thankfully and say, “Thanks for your compliment professor. I’ll do my best in the future.”

 

                “You’re welcome. That’s it, you can go now,” he says.

 

                I bow my head once again before I turn around to face the exit just when I heard him mumble.

 

                “If only that brat Yonghwa could write something half as good as that, I would be satisfied enough. He could write all those deep meaning songs but not my report? He really reminds me of someone.”

 

      ***********************************

                I walk slowly towards the gate as I think about those words I heard from Professor Jung before.  From how he called him ‘brat’, I’m pretty sure they’re related to each other especially since they have the same surname.  But from what I see, I don’t think their relationship is good enough.

 

                Logically, you wouldn’t call someone you’re close to with name like ‘crazy old man’ right? Especially when he is a whole lot older than you are.

 

                As soon as I reach the main entrance, I can see Hyoyeon unnie’s red car waiting for me at the side of the road. Not wanting to amble anymore, I slightly rush towards her car.

 

                Hyoyeon unnie greet me with her usual bright smile. I return it while my hands busy putting on the seatbelt.  

 

                “Ready Hyunnie?” she asks excitedly as if we’re going to some kind of adventure as her right hand moves to put in the gear.

 

                 “Yup, let’s go!” I answer hear back, feeling slightly excited.

 

                I can feel ‘Hyoyeon Virus’ infecting my mood right now, I feel happy and light. Maybe one of the reasons is that we’re going to one of my favorite space in the world —a bookstore.

 

                In my head, I already have a list of books that I would recommend to Hyoyeon unnie. I also plan to grab a few books for me to read. My favorite is of course the self-motivating genre. But, since I met Hyoyeon unnie three years ago, I started to read romantic type novel like a lot especially before I went to sleep every night.

 

                The sudden beep from my phone indicating that I’ve just received a text message distracts me from my thought. I peer inside my handbag to take it out.

 

                I wonder if it’s coming from Jinwoon.

 

                I rarely text, except with Jinwoon and Hyoyeon unnie because I always feel like calling straight away would be a lot more easier since I can get the receiver respond right away. So, you could say I prefer the traditional talking over the phone a lot more than text messaging. But, I still have to play along with Jinwoon and Hyoyeon unnie every time if I don’t want to be called an ‘old lady’. But I do text to others sometimes, when the situations prefer text messaging over calls.

 

                “You still use that boring beeping sound as your message tone Hyunnie? Oh girl, what did I say about not acting like an old lady? You should change your ringtone and message tone to something more girl like,” Hyoyeon unnie points out as soon as she hears the phone sound.

 

                See? I was right. They always call me an old lady.

 

                Is it really a crime for a 22 years old girl to use a plain ringtone for their phone?

 

                “I’m so going to change it when we arrive later. What is the point of using such good phone when you don’t optimize it fully?” Hyoyeon unnie adds, half-jokingly.

 

                Sometimes, I wonder how different I would be if I don’t meet unnie. To be honest, I’ve become even more flexible after I met her; I started to notice the fashion trend a little, get to know the current young girls obsession and I learned to be a little bit more ‘girl like’ and I also find out about the ‘romantic fantasy’ which Hyoyeon unnie describe as an important aspect of a young girl.

 

                That is one of the reasons why I started to read romantic genre novels for the past three years. To actually understand the term ‘girl like’. I thought I’m already girl like enough but Hyoyeon unnie told me that I lack something significant in my ‘girl’ department. She said that I don’t have any interest in guys at all. Not even towards an actor or a singer. She also said that it’s very rare to see a girl who prefers self-help books over romance novel. Therefore ever since that moment, it’s been one of Hyoyeon unnie life’s goals to see me fall in love.

 

                Isn’t that quite funny?

                I’m pretty sure that I would someday.

                Right?

 

                But if I need to clear something up, I would say that I do enjoy reading those novels, but not because of the ‘lovey-dovey’ part, but because I find it very interesting how the characters change and react when they fall in love or start to like someone.

 

                I just can’t imagine myself doing something similar to that.

 

                I always believe that we have to be composed all the time in order to be fully rational in everything we do.

 

                One more thing you should know, I still don’t fully understand the last part about the so called ‘romantic fantasy’ that every girls usually have. From Hyoyeon unnie explanation, most of the girls would swoon over guys that looks cool, or gives out ‘bad guy’ kind of feeling over the nice kind of guy.

 

                I just don’t get it.

 

                Do we girls really have to submit ourselves to that kind of ideal? Why would you like a bad guy when you can get a nice and understanding one instead? I might understand if a girl falls head over heels over a handsome, intelligent and caring guy, but the opposite? I’m don’t know if I’m the weird one or not, but I seriously don’t get that.

 

                A second beep comes when I realize that I haven’t checked the message I got previously.

 

 

                *INCOMING MESSAGES (1/2)*

                Sender:  Idiot King

                Message:  Hello Grumpy Agasshi! I’m still waiting for your treat! Don’t forget about that!

 

                                At first, I can’t believe the name that I saw when I open up the first message! It’s from that idiot Jung Yonghwa!

 

                 Don’t you think that it’s almost funny? He actually had the guts to ask me to treat him when I clearly stated that the deal is off last night. You know, that time in the bar when he told me how he had fun lurking around inspecting my phone? Is he just daft or really thick skinned?

 

                Angrily, I tap on the next button to check the second message

.

                *INCOMING MESSAGES (2/2)*

                Sender:  Idiot King

                Message:  And ohh, did you listen to your ‘Therapy Ocean Sound’ yet? Hahaha :P

                               

                “Oh he is really something!” I grumble as I delete the messages he sent.

 

                Would I be able to have a peaceful life after this? He already knows my number, and God knows how many more stupid messages he would send to me that would spoil my mood like it did just now.

 

                Or maybe I should just change my number?

 

                “Who was that Hyunnie? What did it say to make your face looked like you’re mistakenly eating a hamburger instead of goguma?”  Hyoyeon unnie ask as she carefully shifts her gaze from the front view towards me then quickly turn it back to the road.

 

                “Nobody, it’s just some crazy guy. I’ll tell you later” I say, refusing to tell her the story yet.

 

                For the record, the reason why Hyoyeon unnie talk about hamburger and goguma is because it’s been an inside joke between of us since long ago. I have a quite serious obsession over sweet potatoes or goguma, so Hyoyeon unnie always compare something that I love to a goguma. Meanwhile I just hate hamburgers since it is very unhealthy and I strongly believe that eating hamburger could kill me. That’s why she’s been comparing my expression by using the word hamburger or goguma.

 

                “Really? Because from what I see, that person must be quite amazing to be able to make you have that kind of expression on your face. Ahh, the curiosity is killing me!” Hyoyeon unnie says. Then, she drops the conversation.

 

                That’s why I love her. Hyoyeon unnie never force me to do anything I don’t like. She’ll wait until I am ready instead.

 

 


Hello guys! Happy weekend!

 

I'm glad I managed to proof read this part and post it up before I go out for my major books haul~

Kekeke~ I'm so excited right now

Do you guys have any recommendation on any latest book? 

I read everything, thriller, romance, historical romance, comedy, chic flick, ohh but my least favorite is horror.

 

By the way

Introducing the new character Kim Hyoyeon *clap clap*

This chapter might revolve more between Seohyun and Hyoyeon

Because she will play a major role in this story~~

So give her some love okay

But no need to worry guys, in the next chapters, I will try hard to please you with more Yong Seo moments.

 

Till then~ Bye Bye