Part Twelve

Miss Straight A's VS Mr.(Not So) Perfect

 

                It's the Saturday morning and I am currently sitting at Hyoyeon unnie's book cafe while waiting for Jinwoon and Yonghwa to show up.

 

                We promised to meet here last Wednesday to discuss the research topic that we would be doing for this report.

 

                "Here is your orange juice," Hyoyeon unnie says as she places the glass on the table.

 

                Then she sits next to me and continues, "So you're waiting for Jinwoon to come? More report I guess?"

 

                I sip in some of the drink in front of me using the straw and nod.

 

                "Yes, we have to do a report for our philosophy class," I say.

 

                "Am I late?"

 

                Yonghwa greet me us as soon as he arrives then sit on the chair next to Hyoyeon unnie.

 

                Looking a little confused, Hyoyeon unnie ask Yonghwa, "What are you doing here? Don't you always have band practice on Saturday?"

 

                "He's one of the group member unnie," I say, answering on behalf him.

 

                "What?" Hyoyeon unnie bulge her eyes at my statement.

 

                "YOU GUYS TAKE THE SAME CLASS?? BUT—BUT YOU GUYS SAID THAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW EACH OTHER THE OTHER DAY?" she adds, sounding a little hysterical, probably from the shock.

 

                "I did, because I didn't know. I just found out about it when my uncle sorts me into their group," Yonghwa says as he pops in one of the cashew nut on the table.

 

                See, he's lying again.

 

                But, wait a minute.

 

                Did he just say uncle?

 

                "Professor Jung is your uncle?" I say.

 

                "You don't know Seohyun? If you attend the same class as he is, especially if it's Jung ahjusshi class, you must have notice how similar they look like," Hyoyeon unnie says in disbelief.

 

                "Yah, I do not look like him. That old man is not as good looking as I am how many times did I tell you about that?" Yonghwa interrupts Hyoyeon words.

 

                "Do they? I didn't notice that, I know that Professor Jung is kind of good looking but I don't think they look alike" I say.

 

Yonghwa nod in agreement but then he suddenly stops nodding.

 

                "Wait, are you saying that I am not as good looking as he is? How ridiculous is that? By the way, I thought you're the top scorer in the class, how come you didn't notice it? We share the same surname you know?" Yonghwa says.

 

                A little offended by his words I then reply, "As if there is only one Jung surname in Korea— and yes, he certainly is better looking than you are."

 

                "Well, I guess you really have poor eyesight or that you have weird standard over guys, you know what, with this face, dozens of girls are lining up willing to be my girlfriends," he fights back, not wanting to lose.

 

                I rolled my eyes, unable to accept his words.

 

                "I guess those girl only see the outside. They might run for their life if they know how you actually are from the inside, rude, arrogant and most importantly–”

 

                "Whoa guys, wait a second. Are you sure you just met each other? Because from what I see, you seem to know each other pretty well to be acting like this," Hyoyeon unnie says.

 

                "And you Seohyun, do you know that this is the first time I see you bicker with someone? You don't even bicker with Jinwoon."

 

                I blush at Hyoyeon unnie's statement.

 

                Oh god, I overreacted once again.

 

                She must notice that Yonghwa's been lying to her before. Hyoyeon unnie know me so well, there is not a chance she wouldn't notice.

 

                "Hello guys!" A sudden tap in my shoulder makes me turn my head towards the owner of the hand.

 

                It's Jinwoon

 

                Finally

 

                I let go a small sigh as I smile at him and say, "You're late. So, one goguma is going to be deducted."

 

                "Ah, Hyunnie! It really is not my fault this time. My mom makes me help her to fix the lamp first before I get to go. Don't deduct my goguma, please…" he says trying to make me change my mind.

 

                "No, I told you many times already. It's rude to be late. You shouldn't make a person wait when you make a promise with them," I say as I shift my gaze towards Yonghwa, in the hope that he would notice that the statement also applies to him. What happened the other night suddenly fill my thought.

 

                "I got it. Sorry okay? I'll treat you to some goguma cake after this. By the way, noona, can I have a glass of Ice Americano?" he apologizes as he sits at the only chair left between three of us.

 

                Hyoyeon unnie stand up as she hear Jinwoon's request.

 

                "Ah, I almost forgot about that. So Yonghwa, what do you want? The usual?" she asks.

 

                He nods and soon after Hyoyeon unnie left the three of us there while she head towards the counter.

*******************

 

                The discussion went on well after that. Shockingly but gladly, Yonghwa did participate well in the discussion. He actually gave a few good ideas himself that almost made me and Jinwoon doubt if he actually failed the previous test.

 

                Yonghwa finally left me and Jinwoon as soon as the discussion end saying that he has another thing to attend to after this.

 

                "So, ready for a goguma cake?" Jinwoon ask as we clean up the table that currently filled by the papers containing the rough ideas on our report.

 

                I smile brightly at the mention of goguma. I really like goguma. If a goguma is actually a guy, I am most likely to fall in love with him already now.

 

                "Sure, let's go!"

 

                We bid Hyoyeon goodbye as we step out of the cafe shop and walks towards the bus stop to go to the little cake shop near our neighbourhood that sells the most wonderful goguma cake I have ever taste.

*******************

[Yonghwa's POV]

 

                I get inside the house, feeling mentally exhausted.

 

                It's been awhile since I actually use my brain like that.

 

                No wonder Seohyun and that snob looking guy who turns out not to be a snob at all are so good in studies.

                But he still annoys me some how

 

                Apart from the fact that they both are quite intelligent, they actually put in effort in studies. That is of course so unlike me.

 

                But seeing Jinwoon keeps on getting praises from her made me feel a little challenged, so I did push myself to think quite 'philosophically' today.

 

                Like the old man (my uncle) always says, “There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy."

 

                I guess he is right this time since I never thought that I could actually be good in my most hated thing in the world which is philosophy and my life philosophy is to "Stay away from philosophy world as much as I could".

 

                I guess the old man's everyday nagging about his 'amazing' philosophy world did some good to me to day.

 

                I was about to get upstairs when the old man call me.

 

                I wonder what it would be now.

 

                I'm not sure if you guys have noticed it or not, but my relationship with my family members are just not good.

 

                Right now I'm living with my uncle in Korea while my parents are living in New York.

 

                For starters, my relationship has always been bad with my dad. His expectation that I would inherit the company is too much that it made me 'run away' from the house by saying that I want to 'learn' in Korea instead of overseas. Plus, ever since I left Korea during that time when I was in high school, I’ve been missing everything about it.

 

                My father agreed in making me study in Korea but I never thought by coming here, his control over me would be worse.

 

                I choose to rebel by choosing music composition (even though I sincerely love composing) as my major but somehow my mother, who is under the influence of my father, managed to make me choose philosophy as my minor.

 

                And I regret my decision to agree almost every single day for the last two years until about a few weeks ago.

 

                My uncle, who I call the crazy old man, used to be very close to me when I was young. He would play his guitar for me and I would sing along to the music. By the age of twelve, I already know all the songs by the Beatles and Bon Jovi.

 

                My uncle is the whole reason that made me becomes interested in music. I look up to him because he is the one who taught me how to play the guitar and read the notes.

 

                We even shared the same idol, which is the great Bon Jovi.

 

                When I arrive in Korea about three years ago, everything seems so perfect. I would hang around with him a lot and he really supports my decision in choosing music course.

 

                Only a year after that, after all of the extreme rebelling episode, including one group fight that caused me to sleep in jail for two days, my father finally gives in, under the condition that I would take my uncle class.

 

                That was the start of the change in my uncle's attitude towards me. He started to stop me from creating a band and perform. Even though he knows that my rebellion was because of my dad.

               
                Suddenly, he started to become very sceptical towards me just like my father did back in New York.

 

                No wonder people say that blood is thicker than water. My uncle is definitely my father's younger brother.

 

                I sit at the kitchen table with the chair facing my uncle's direction. He is now drinking a cup of coffee while reading a book called “Love and Philosophy"

 

                I try to stop the urge to laugh out loud at the tittle.

 

                My uncle really needs to get married by now if he starts to read that kind of stuffs.

 

                "So Yonghwa, I hope everything is going on well with your project group," he says starting the conversation.

 

                "Everything is fine, we just had a discussion this morning" I answer.

 

                "Well, that is good to hear. So how about those two? I purposely sort you into their group, so I hope you can learn one or two things from them."

 

                I stare at the kitchen table as I continue to listen to him.

 

                "Especially Seohyun agasshi, like I told you before, she writes a really impressive report every time. All the lecturers in our department also have good impression on her," he adds.

 

                I flinch a little by the time he mention Seohyun's name.

 

                Actually, the whole reason of these past few days incident with her was my uncle.

 

                Since the start of this semester, my uncle suddenly started to mention about this young girl in his class.

 

                "Seohyun would never do this,” or “Seohyun would definitely write better than that,” or “Seohyun would handle this better if she were you." 


                Every single time he wants to correct my way, he would always mention her name.

 

                It's almost like he is obsessed with her or something.

 

                At first, it really annoys me to hear her name every day. But as the days goes by, annoyance turns into curiosity.

 

                Is that girl really is that great?

 

                But, not until a month ago, I finally decided to check out on her in order to ease up my burning curiosity about her.

 

                Although I already stop attending my uncle's classes after we had a major fight about my band, I decided to go one more time to check her out.

 

                I went to the class a bit earlier than it should be because my pride won't allow myself to be seen by my uncle after I make a scene about not coming to his boring lectures anymore.

 

                I chose a seat that is quite further at the back as I start to scan every student's faces that are coming inside from the class's entrance, until I first caught a sight of her.

 

                She was wearing a long sleeved, knee length pastel blue dress and a blue headband. Her straight hair looks perfectly combed and her steps are calm and poised.

 

                She was holding some books in her hand.

 

                Then, she sat in the front area of the class. I still remember the seat she sat on that day, the second row from the front, just right in the middle of the class.

 

                I almost forgot about my intention about finding the girl 'Seohyun' after I saw her. But, since I already chose the trouble of coming there when it was the last place I want to be, I asked some students who sat in front of me if they know any 'Seohyun' in the class.

 

                At first, they claimed that they never heard of any Seohyun, but later on, a girl said, "Do you mean Seo Joo Hyun? I did hear some of the girls call her Seohyun the other day. There she is."

 

She then points her finger towards the blue headband girl.

 

                Even now, I still remember how I felt that day. I was so shocked to find out that she was the same girl who caught my eyes.  In one hand, I just can't forget how beautiful she looked like, but a part of me still feeling annoyed by her.

 

                My uncle praise on her was too much that I subconsciously hold a grudge against her. I don't know if it was jealousy or it's just because I felt like she is just faking all the so called 'properness' that my uncle claims her to be.

 

                But, ever since I saw her, my curiosity hasn’t lower even a bit. Instead, after that day, I started to follow her around secretly like a crazy stalker.

               

                Don’t get me wrong, but the more I watch her, the more interesting it gets. She is really one of a kind.

 

                "Jung Yonghwa, are you still listening to me?"

 

                My uncle's slightly raised voice stopped me from reminiscing.

 

                "Huh?" I said.

 

                "I said you should go rest right now. You don't look too well, are you sick or something?"

 

                I shook my head then I stand up.

 

                "It's nothing uncle, I'm fine, goodnight."

 

                I left my uncle in the kitchen than went upstairs to my room.

 

                                                                                *******************
                My alarm clock blaring sound wakes me up from my sleep. Still wearing last night cloth, I think I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I go to bath then step out of the room towards the kitchen downstairs as I check at the time on my phone.

 

                8.30 am

 

                My uncle usually has his breakfast around this time during the weekend. I decided to go out straight away as to avoid his usual nagging every time we had breakfast together.

               
                I'm already halfway towards the practice studio when I get one message from Hyoyeon on my Katalk. (Author's note: For those who don't know, it's short for KakaoTalk)

 

                Hyo: Jung Yonghwa, my lovely dongsaeng Seo Joo Hyun ask me to tell you that she and Jinwoonie are going to start making a draft on the introduction on that whatever report you guys are working on and she want you to do yours before the next class. They plan to combine the draft from each of you after that.

 

                I text back 'OK' as a reply.

 

                Then she sends me several more messages.

 

                Hyo: By the way, this is the last time that I would help to be the middleman for you guys. So for whatever reason behind that weird atmosphere between you guys, sort it out!

 

                Hyo: Do not reply your famous just 'ok' to me again, you know I hate it.

 

                Hyo: Oh one more thing, I know you have Seohyun number, so replay that 'ok' of yours to her. She has Katalk too. (P/s: I have no idea what is going on in your mind, but if you dare hurt our Hyunnie in any way, I swear I'm going to kill you.)

 

                I smile at Hyoyeon words.

 

                Whatever this girl Seohyun is, for now, I'm quite sure that she has a way to win other people heart so easily. To have Hyoyeon to be overprotective towards her like this is really something.

 

                I fiddle with my phone, trying to consider whether I should text her or not. Considering that she doesn't even reply to those messages I sent last time made me think for a bit.

 

                Aishh, whatever.

 

                I decided to just text her. After all, she was the one who ask Hyoyeon to pass that message to me. So she can't say that I'm bugging her or something right? Furthermore, I think I’m going to have a problem doing the draft alone as philosophy is not really my ‘thing’.

 

                So, I choose 'Grumpy Agasshi' from my contact list and carefully, I type in the words I want to send.

 

 


Hey guys!

So, what do you think about Yong's POV so far?

It's really hard for me to write what is actually going on in Yong's head

Even when I was the one who write this story

Hahahaha, I'm weird, I know

 

By the way, I just want to say thank you to those who vote up my story ^^

I'm glad you guys like it

 

Very well, that's all for today

Unexpectedly, I actually manage to finish up the this chapter and post it faster

I hope I'll be able to do the same for the next one too ^^

 

Till then~ annyeong!