Part Eighteen

Miss Straight A's VS Mr.(Not So) Perfect

 

                 Hyoyeon enter the practice studio, pushing the glass door with her back while both her hands are holding a bunch of plastic bags.

 

                "Guys, where are you?"

 

                She drop the stuffs in her hands on one side the old couch and then throw her body next to it as she mutters, "Am I too early?"

 

                She then takes out her phone and hit one of the number listed in it.

 

                After a few beeps, a voice answers at the other side.

 

                "Hello."

 

                "Where are you? It's already 9.20, I thought you guys wanted to meet me this morning?"

 

                Hyoyeon says, half yelling.

 

                "We're almost there noona, just wait a second," the voice replies.

 

                Hyoyeon sighs as she ends the call. She was supposed to be at the cafe this morning, but since Jungshin called her phone last night saying that he have something to tell her, she decided to let the workers to handle the cafe for a while as she went to meet Jungshin. After all, it's rare for him to call her and asking her to meet like this.

 

                After waiting a few more minutes, finally, the person she's been waiting for emerge from the door she came from ealier, followed by three more people.

 

                Jungshin: "Noona, we're here!"


                Hyoyeon: "Yah, you're thirty minutes late! I already come late purposely, but you still come later than me?"

 

                Hyoyeon try to smack Jungshin in the head lightly as the tall guy swiftly avoids it.

 

                Minhyuk: "Sorry noona, it's all Jungshin's fault. We had a hard time trying to wake him up earlier"

 

                Jungshin send a laser like gaze towards Minhyuk then quickly shift it towards Hyoyeon again.

 

                Jungshin: " I was wrong noona, I'm sorry! I'll treat you for some soju later sometime"

 

                Hearing the word 'soju', Hyoyeon can't help but to smile at the younger guy in front her.

 

                Hyoyeon: "Forget it, it's not like I don't know you. Thirty minutes late is quite fine, since you've been worst"

 

                Jonghyun who was just watching the scene in front of him burst out laughing at Hyoyeon's comment. Minhyuk who is standing near him, giggle a little as his eyes forms a crescent moon shape.

 

                Jonghyun: "See Jungshin, it wasn't just us. Even Hyoyeon agrees on how not punctual you could be sometimes"

 

                Minhyuk and Hyoyeon nods along Jonghyun's remark as Jungshin expression turns sour after hearing his friends teasing.

 

                Jungshin: "What is this? You guys are conspiring against me! Hyungsuk hyung, aren't they bad?"

 

                All of them turn their head towards another guy who hasn't uttered a word ever since they arrive when Jungshin suddenly mentions his name.

 

                Hyoyeon: "You're here I see. It's been a while hasn't it?"

 

                Her voice sounds a little cold as she directs the question towards the guy.

 

                Hyungsuk: "Of course I would be here, it's MY studio. Where else should I be?"

 

                Surprisingly, the guy also answers her in a cold manner. Hyoyeon glares at him as she cross her arms together. Not wanting to lose, the guy named Hyungsuk glares back at her.

 

                Jungshin: "Whoa whoa, noona, hyung, what's wrong? You both look like a fighting couple right now."

 

                In return, almost unisonly, Hyoyeon and Hyungsuk answers.

 

                "We are not!"

 

                Jungshin flinch a little as both the older guy and girl yell at him. He clears his throat and decided to shut his mouth before he gets scolded more by both of them.

 

                Jonghyun: "Chill out guys. We have something more important to discuss today right?"

 

                Jungshin: "Ah, that's right! I have something to tell and also, something to ask"

 

                Hyoyeon raises her eyebrows as focuses back at the tall guy.

 

                Minhyuk: "Why don't we sit first, if you're going to tell the story just like how you did to me before, we could end up dying for standing too long you kniw"

 

                Jungshin: "Yahh, what do you mean that we could die? Plus, it's crucial for me not to leave anything, right Jonghyun hyung?"

 

                Hyoyeon starts to feel impatient as her curiosity perks up from listening to the two guys in front of her.

               

                She walks towards the old couch she was sitting at earlier and sit down again.

 

                Hyoyeon: "Whatever you want to tell me, you better tell me now. And oh -- here is some bread for you guys. You didn't get to have breakfast yet right?"

 

                She takes the plastic bags next to her and hand it to Minhyuk who is already sitting on the floor just in front of her.

 

                Minhyuk : "Assa, I thought I was going to die from hunger just now. Noona, you're the best!"

 

                Hyoyeon: "Whatever now tells me, why did you guys want to meet me this early?"

 

            Jungshin: “It’s actually about Yonghwa hyung. Last night –,”

 

 

************************

 

 [Jinwoon’s POV]

 

                I stare at Seohyun who is sitting in front of me while looking like a lost puppy. We have been sitting here in the library for the past two hours, and all she did so far was sighing and brooding while ignoring not only her half-done report but also me.

 

                I rest my chinon my right hand as I keep on looking at her, trying to suppress my already building laughter. I know I should not be acting like this, but her expression right now is so funny and cute at the same time, I just cannot help myself. At first, I didn’t really think much of her weird actions and keep on doing my report, but since I have done finishing it and Seohyun still keeps on looking distracted I finally decided to ask her about it.

 

I did notice that she has been acting a bit weird for the past two weeks, but today is the worst of it. Seohyun is not the type of girl who would show her feelings like this. She is usually composed and calm, and normally the more ‘mature’ one between the two of us. She will not show her problem even if it is in front of Hyoyeon noona, or me. That is why right now, I find myself a little confused but also amused at the same time.

 

                “Seo Joo Hyun,” I finally call out her name.

 

                Seo Joo Hyun.

 

                I’m particularly fond of calling her in her full name, instead of just ‘Seohyun’ or ‘Hyunnie’. I don’t know why, but it just feels and sounds right when I call her like that. 

 

                She didn’t hear me at the first time, but as soon as I call out her name again, she finally look up and smiles.

 

                I return her smile and start to ask, “What’s wrong? You’ve been looking so ‘off’ today. Is there anything I can help you with?”

 

                She shakes her head.

 

                “It’s nothing actually. I just have something to think about. Nothing serious, don’t worry,” she says.

                I keep my gaze on her face trying to read her expression. She is now back to ‘normal Seohyun’ and not looking crestfallen as she did before.

 

                I take a deep breath and nod a little, as I decide to let it go.

 

                If Seohyun says that it is nothing, I will not push her into telling me because eventually, I will find out about the reason myself.

 

                I grab my phone, which is on the table to look at the time.

 

                It’s already 3.45 PM. We haven’t had our lunch yet.

 

                “Seohyun ah, let’s go grab some late lunch. It’s almost four o’clock and I’m starving. How about having some pasta? It’s been a while since we go to that little restaurant near my practice studio,” I say trying to cheer her up.

 

                After knowing her for more than ten years, I could list down both her favourite and most hated foods in seconds. Seohyun is not a picky-eater, but she really hates unhealthy food, especially hamburger. However, she really likes eating healthy food that normally doesn’t suit the ‘youngster’ taste bud. I have once had to bear the pain of drinking the bitter ‘unknown’ fruit smoothie she made for me that tasted like mud. But on the bright side, as the times goes by there is probably no healthy food that I have never tried before, all thanks to Seohyun.

 

            Her top favourite is the mighty ‘sweet potato’. She loves anything made from it.

 

Sweet Potato Cake

Sweet Potato Latte

Sweet Potato Salad

Sweet Potato Soup

Just name it.

 

                  I used to joke that if ‘sweet potato’ is actually a person, she might already be married to it by now.

 

                  Sometimes, I secretly wish I could be a sweet potato

 

 

****************************

                  We enter the black and white themed Italian restaurant not long after that. Since my practice studio is not very far from where the university is, it only took us 20 minutes to arrive by bus. The restaurant is about a few meters away from the studio, and we occasionally come to have lunch or dinner here.

 

             “Welcome sir”

 

          A waitress comes to greet us at the door. Then, she leads us to one of the empty tables, right next to the glass window where we could see people walking outside. I take out the chair for Seohyun to sit on before I move to my chair and sit down facing her. Then, we choose our usual dish from the menu and the waitress leaves us to send the order.

 

            “It looks like it’s going to rain,” Seohyun says suddenly.

 

            I turn my head towards the glass window and gaze towards the skies.

 

          “Is it? Isn’t it just the tinted window?” I reply.

 

       Seohyun shake her head, “No, the outside seems darker than usual. I didn’t bring my umbrella today. We’re going to get caught in the rain.”

 

          I chuckles a little looking at her reaction.

 

       “Seohyun ah, we’re inside the restaurant, there is no way we’re going to get caught in the rain. We could just wait until it stops. It’s not like we have to rush home right?”

 

         Seohyun blinks her eyes a few times before she finally nods.

 

           “Ah, you’re right. Since it’ll be the weekend and we won’t have class tomorrow, its fine if we get home a little late,” she smiles at me.

 

           “Speaking of weekend, take this," I say as I hand her a piece of envelope.

 

****************************

Seohyun’s POV

 

                I reach out to take a black coloured envelope from Jinwoon’s hand while giving him a questioning look. He says nothing in return but smiles instead, signalling me to take a look at the content.

 

                I move my gaze and give my attention to the envelope.

 

                It’s a pair of tickets.

 

                The description on it says;

 

Seoul 2013 Independent Bands Competition

Date: 20 April 2013

Venue: V-Hall, Hongdae

Time: 7.30 PM

 

                A band competition?

 

                It’s been awhile since Jinwoon’s band actually enters anything. Jinwoon is too much of a perfectionist just like me, so he won’t enter a competition if he feels like they’re not ready. The last competition they entered was almost about a year ago.

 

                “My band decided to take part in it this time so you should come with Hyoyeon noona. One of the songs we’re going to sing that night is written by me, you better listen to it” Jinwoon explains as if he knows what is going on in my head.

 

             Then he adds, “Don’t worry, the venue is not too crowded and those tickets are for seating area. I’ll tell your parent about it so they won’t be worried if you’re coming home late that night. Since it’s on this weekend you would have the time right?”

 

             I smile at him and says, “Of course I will come, it’s been awhile since I actually get to see your performance. I’ll call Hyoyeon unnie tonight to ask her to go with me. Thanks for the ticket.”

 

          Jinwoon smiles brightly as he hears my reply.

 

             Not long after that, the waitress bring our food to the table and for the next 30 minutes, we eat there silently, only focusing on the food in front of us.

****************************************

 

         I wave Jinwoon goodbye once again before I turn around to enter my house. As soon as I enter the door, I hear my mother’s voice coming from the family living room.

 

       “Hyunnie, you’re home already?”

 

       I turn to walk towards my parents who are sitting on a beige coloured leather sofa; my dad is busy watching the television while my mum is sitting next to him, peeling fruits.

 

       “I’m home,” I say as I bow to them.

 

       “Did you have your dinner yet?” My mum asks as my dad turns his head around towards me.

 

       “Yes, I did. Jinwoon and I went to dinner after class,” I say.

 

       “Jinwoon? Why didn’t he come inside today?” My dad suddenly interrupts as soon as I mention Jinwoon.

 

       Since I am the only child in our family, my dad is really fond of Jinwoon. He treats him like his own son.

 

       When we were little, dad would always ask me to bring Jinwoon along every time we went for a camping. They would sit together to fish while I would help my mom preparing foods.

 

       “I asked him to but he says no because he have a band practice tonight. His band is going to enter a competition this Saturday, so he would be busy till then. But, he sends his regards to you appa,” I say.

 

       My dad nods.

 

       “A band competition? He must be really good then. His mum does tell me that he keep on practicing every night, I guess it's for the competition. Wish him luck from us then,” my mum adds.

 

       I smile at my parents.

 

       “I will, and oh appa, I will be going to the performance with Hyoyeon unnie. So I might return home a bit late that day, would that be fine?” I ask.

 

       “Just be careful okay?” my dad says giving his permission.

 

       “I promise,” I say as I walk towards him to give him a hug.

 

**************************************

 

       I grab my phone as soon as I finish up changing into my pyjama. I need to tell Hyoyeon unnie about the competition so she would free her schedule that night. Unlike me, Hyoyeon unnie always has somewhere to go during the weekends, so I would have to ‘reserve’ first if I want her to clear up her plan.

 

       I scroll down the contact list, looking for Hyoyeon unnie’s contact number. I decided to call her instead of texting.

 

      Hyoyeon: “Hello, Hyunnie ahh”

       Seohyun: “Unnie, are you busy right now? Where are you?”

       Hyoyeon: “Nope, not really. I’m hanging out with my dancing friends. What’s up?”

       Seohyun: “I just want to ask if you’re free this Saturday evening.”

       Hyoyeon: “Saturday? I don’t think I’m free but why?”

       Seohyun: “You’re busy that day? Actually, Jinwoonie gave me a pair of ticket to a band competition in Hongdae. His band signed up for it and he want us both to come and cheer for him.”

       Hyoyeon: “Band competition in Hongdae? Is it the Seoul 2013 Independent Band Competition?”

       Seohyun: “Oh, how did you know about it unnie? Did Jinwoon call you already?”

       Hyoyeon: “No, Yonghwa told me about it about a few weeks ago. He already gave me a pair of tickets too. That’s good then, let’s go together, I was looking for someone to go with me too that night.”

 

       I almost get chocked as soon as Hyoyeon unnie mentions his name. Just as I’m starting to forget about what happened, hearing his name makes me remember it all over again.

 

       I can’t even focus in class today because of him, why does his name has to popup all of sudden in between my conversation with Hyoyeon unnie?

 

       I clear my throat and then replies;

 

       Seohyun: “Oh o—okay then, see you this Thursday.”

       Hyoyeon: “About the ticket, is yours for seating or standing area?”

       Seohyun: “Seating”

       Hyoyeon: “Oh great then! Since yours is seating area, I think we should use yours. I will give my tickets to someone else. Is that fine?”

       Seohyun: “Sure unnie”

       Hyoyeon: “Good then, Hyunnie ahh, I need to go now, my friend is starting to get really drunk now so I need to send her home. Talk to you later okay? Goodnight!”

 

       As soon she finishes her sentence, Hyoyeon unnie hang up, leaving me a little bewildered as I try to replay the conversation we had just now.

 

       She did agree to go with me right?

 

       But, she said that Yonghwa gave her a pair of tickets too. So does that mean that Yonghwa is going to see it too?

 

       Or does that means that his band going to participate too?

 

       Ahhh—does that mean I would probably encounter them that night?

 

       No way…

       I can’t…

       It’s too embarrassing! I can’t face them, especially Yonghwa and Jungshin.

 

       I crash onto my bed and I grab a pillow for me to hug as I start to think about what happened at the school last night. Until now, it still bothers me that we ended it without any explanation.

 

       Jung Yonghwa...

       He really has the skills to get on my nerves.

*******************

 

       Meanwhile, Hyoyeon who had just finishes her conversation with Seohyun just a few minutes ago is now looking like she just found a pot of gold.

 

       “Hey guys, I think our plan is going on even more smoothly now.”

 

       In front of her Jungshin, Minhyuk, Jonghyun and Hyungsuk exchange glances with each other, while wondering about the meaning behind Hyoyeon words.

*******************

 

Yonghwa’s POV               

 

                I stare blankly at the white paper in front of me. For the past thirty minutes, I can’t bring start working, let alone write anything. I keep on thinking about how embarrassed I felt last night in front of Jungshin and how it became even more awkward with Seohyun.

 

                Talk about timing…

                When I thought the misunderstanding the other day is already been cleared, now another one come knocking…

 

                Seriously of all time, does that cockroach have to be there right at the moment when Jungshin arrive?

 

                I swear I’m not even scared of cockroaches.

 

                But I was too startled when Seohyun suddenly scream, and ended up tripping on the chair while knocking Seohyun down with me.

 

                And just like in dramas (not that I actually watch dramas), on that exact moment, Jungshin arrived with the school guard, and caught us in that compromising position.

 

               But what is worse is the fact that all of us were just too dumbfounded by the situations and just stare at each other. At the time when I finally get back to my sense, we are all already reaching the front gate of the school.

 

                No explanation given to Jungshin.

 

                No apology asked from Seohyun.

 

                I am officially the dumbest person on earth.

 

                How am I going to explain this one to Seohyun? She must feel very embarrassed at that time.

 

                Someone, please smack me hard.


Hello Guysssss!!!!

 

Yessssss It's Me!!

I'm Still Alive!!!

It's been ages right?

I am so so so so sorry for not being able to update anything for such a long time

I feel so bad!

(bows 10000x)

 

My final semester is just so overwhelming, most of the days I only slept for 2-3 hours

My dark circles are so bad, someone might mistakes me as a panda now!

Although I'm busy, I still try to sneak some time for this story.

Seriously, amidst of all those workload, I've been itching to continue this fics!

So here is the 18th chapter.

I hope you like it (although I'm not particularly satisfied with this one)

I will update Chapter 19 next week.

On my way writing it now.

 

So see you?

^^