Part Four

Miss Straight A's VS Mr.(Not So) Perfect

 

               It’s 9.47 PM.

 

                I’ve been sitting alone in the bar like an idiot, while trying to pretend that I haven’t notice all those stares from people around me.

 

                A girl, sitting alone in a bar while looking like a lost puppy.

 

                Even if this is my first time going to a bar like this, I can understand what kind of impression I’m giving off right now.

 

                If it’s not because my phone is so important, I would not submit myself to this kind of situation.

 

                After a while, I check on my watch once again.

 

                10.05 PM

 

                That’s it.

                 I’m out of here.

 

***********************************

 

                As I stand up and turn around towards the exit, a voice calls for me from behind.

 

                “Seohyun-shii?”

 

                My head turn first to check on the source of the voice.

                To my absolute shock, it’s the weird guy from this morning.

 

                 Standing proudly while looking straight at me, his eyes gleams brightly under this dimly lit bar.

 

                Talk about sharp instinct!

                I knew it when I heard his voice over the phone. I should’ve listened to my instinct!

 

                “Jung Yonghwa?!”

 

                Unexpectedly, my mouth involuntarily blurts out his name before my brain could stop it.

 

                He flashes his smile, the exact smile I saw earlier this morning.

 

                “Hello grumpy agasshi, have a sit,” he says as he sits down at the table which I sat on earlier.

 

                My brain, too shocked to respond, now completely blank without any thoughts except one.

                That tonight would be eventful.

***********************************

                One minute…

                Two minutes…

                Three minutes…..

 

                Oh well, this is awkward.

 

                I thought as we both sit still while having what it seems like an inner mental battle for almost a full ten minutes.

 

                As much as I want this stupid, unfathomable situation to end as soon as possible, my pride refused to let me speak first. He already made me wait this long. I won’t budge before I hear an apology from him.

 

                I brace myself to continue to stare straight at his face.

 

                Our eyes meet again, and unknowingly I had this weird unknown flutter in my stomach.

 

                He is sitting leisurely with his hands and legs crossed, while resting his back on the chair. He is wearing something similar to Jinwoon’s usual band practice outfit, a black leather jacket with a plain white shirt underneath. His hair, although a little messier, still maintain the same style it had this morning.

 

                With that appearance he seems to blend quite perfectly with the surrounding, like he actually belongs here. In contrast, I look lost and stand out among the crowd with my soft pink knee length lace dress and white cardigan.

 

                “So,” he finally breaks the silence, his eyes is looking straight at mine.

                “I guess it’s your first time coming here?” he asks, eyes still fixed on me.

 

                Not knowing what would be the best answer that would not make me sound like an idiot. I decided to keep my mouth shut.

 

                “Do you want anything to drink? It’s my treat, “he adds as he turns his head towards our right where the bartender is.

 

                “Minhyuk! Give me the usual and…” he turns his head back to face me, his eyes signaling me to answer.

 

                A little startled, my voice squeak a little as I answer him, “Urm, plain water would be fine.”

 

                “…and plain water please!” he diverts his attention back to the guy whom he called Minhyuk.

 

                The young looking bartender, raise his left thumb as a sign while eyes and the other hand stays busy on the counter.

 

                They seem to know each to other.

 

                My brain concludes, as I watch their interaction.

 

                I guess he frequents here.

                He does seem like the type to hang out at this kind place.

 

                “He was my high school junior,” he says as if he could read my thought just now.

                “I see,” I answer back, short.

 

                “This is my best friend’s bar, or to be exact his dad’s bar, and Minhyuk work part-time at night here when we don’t have any show at other place,” he continues.

 

                I try to look like I’m interested. But to be honest, I want this to end as quickly as it can be. There is something about this guy that makes feel a little intimidated. Just like this morning.

 

                “I’m the lead vocalist as well as the band leader, Minhyuk is the drummer, my best friend is the lead guitarist and that tall guy there is our bassist” he explains as he points at a tall guy who is standing near a small stage a few feet away from our table.

 

                For the first time, I am thankful for Jinwoon’s never ending rambling about his so called beloved band mates. At least I know what a bassist is.

 

                “Yonghwa hyung!” the tall guy suddenly approaches us when he saw us looking at him.

 

                “Oh Jung Shin, I thought you’re going straight home after the performance?” Yonghwa answers, while flashing a smile.

 

                “Minhyuk asked me to help him tonight, since the ‘infamous’ bar owner son is somewhere out there, playing around…” the tall guy answers back.

 

                “….and who is this hyung?” he asks while eyeing me curiously.

 

                “Ah, this is Seohyun-shii. She’s one of the crazy old man students,” Yonghwa replies.

 

                “Seohyun-shii, this is our band’s bassist, Lee Jung Shin,” he adds, introducing the tall guy.

 

                Wait a second. Did he just call Professor Jung ‘the crazy old man’?

 

                Too flabbergasted by the unexpected answer, I just nod at the tall guys.

 

                “Oh, is that really? Now, this is interesting! So, what brings her here? I thought you think that everyone that attends Jung Ahjusshi class is as boring as him. So why are you hanging out with her hyung?”  

 

                Now it’s the tall guy’s turn to make me shocked.

                I feel like I’m having a very bizarre dream.

                Questions keep popping up in my head.

 

                Why did they call Professor Jung ‘the crazy old man’?

                What is exactly their relationship?

                Are they close enough for this tall guy to call Professor Jung ‘ahjusshi’?

                And the most important thing, why haven’t this guy hand me my phone yet?!

 

                “Ahh it’s a long story, I’ll tell you later,” Yonghwa said to the tall guy.

 

                “By the way hyung, can you play a song? There are too many people here tonight, I need to give Minhyuk a hand,” Jung Shin says.

 

                I checked on the time again.

                It’s almost 11 PM, I should go home now or my parent would go hysterical. It’s already way past my curfew.

               So, I decided to cuts off their conversation.

 

                “Erm, Yonghwa-shii? Can I call you that?” I ask, mostly for the sake of formalities over actual interest.

 

                I continue without waiting for his approval.

                “I need to go now, it’s late already. So, can I have my phone? ”

 

                “Uh? Oh yes, your phone. It’s in my bag, over at the counter. Can you wait till I finish my song? I’m heading out afterwards too,” he says while standing up.

 

                “Urm, would you mind to give my phone first? I really have to go now,” I say.

 

                There is no way I would let him leave me here all alone again.

 

                 Over time, I noticed more stares from people around us— or to be exact, from the girls around us.

 

                Don’t ask me why, but they looked at me like I’m some kind of thief or something. If before, the guys stared at me because I was sitting alone, but now, once Yonghwa is here, the girls from nearby tables looks like they are ready to eat me alive.

 

                “Hey Jung Shin, where is my guitar?” Yonghwa says, ignoring my questions.

 

                Gosh, he really is starting to make me mad again.

                I wonder if he really is an idiot. Can’t he understand my simple question?

 

                He then walks away, leaving me behind.

 

                I am about to stand up and follow him when he turn around once again.

 

                “Wait there, 10 minutes would be enough,” he winks then walk away again, leaving me, still unable to process the situation that I’m experiencing right now.