Part Eleven

Miss Straight A's VS Mr.(Not So) Perfect

                 I sit at my study table while I stare at the books in front of me which I bought at the bookstore earlier. While my right hand keep flipping the philosophy book in front of me mindlessly as I think about what happened after Hyoyeon unnie found us after she came back from meeting her mother.

 

 
//Flashback//

 

 
                Hyoyeon unnie look at my face then shifts it to look at Yonghwa then back to me again. She frown a little then smile then frown again.
 
 
                Then she suddenly says, "Alright, I give up. So I'll ask you both straight away. Do you guys know each other?"


 
                We answer her almost at the same time.


 
                Me: "No!"
                Yonghwa: "Yes"


 
                "What?" Hyoyeon unnie ask again, not satisfied with our different answer.


 
                Again we both answer.


 
                Me: "Yes"
                Yonghwa: "No!"
 
 
                We quickly turn to look into each other eyes.
                I glare at him while he just shrugs his shoulder, looking uninterested.


 
                "Seo Joo Hyun! Jung Yonghwa! Can't you guys give me a definite answer? What's with this different answer when all I asked was a simple question?"


 
                "And you!"


 
                She says while pointing her finger towards Yonghwa then continues, "I thought you promised to help me around at the café. Did you leave the café with that one worker handling everything? And what are you doing here with our Hyunnie?  Don't tell me you're trying to flirt with her like you always do with other girls?"


 
                I gape when I heard that question from her.


 
                There is no way he is flirting with me. 


 
                If anything, he just likes to make me angry.


 
                "It's nothing, I just come to help her just now, is she someone you know? And your mother called me to come here instead when I was on my way to the café. She said she will send someone else to take care of the café and she wanted me to help with the teaching the new worker here to check the inventory," Yonghwa explain pretending like he doesn't know me.


 
"Huh, mother did? And oh, I thought you said that you know the first time you answered?" Hyoyeon unnie raise her eyebrows, looking at Yonghwa who is still standing near me.


 
               "Oh I meant, I know her because I just helped her. Not because I know her as a friend or something," Yonghwa answer.


 
                I roll my eyes as I watch him acting indifferent while his mouth utters those lies.


 
                Don't know me huh?
 
                I don't know why, that kind of making me feel bad. 
 
                It’s almost offending.


 
                Well, it’s not like I want him to brag about our relationship or anything, but that was just too much.


 
                Speaking of it, I wonder what exactly our relationship is.


                
                But one thing for sure, it’s definitely not friendship.


                                                                                 ****************

                After that, we end up listing all and looking for all the new books that are going to be sent to the book cafe. Mostly, I had fun picking all the books tittle and reading their synopsis except for the fact that I sometimes got distracted by Yonghwa's presence around me. It was Hyoyeon unnie who ask him to stick around and help up to look for the books in the inventory.


 
                I feel a little intimidated with him around me not just because he already seen a few embarrassing side of me but because of his act of ignorance in front of Hyoyeon unnie.


 
               I don't feel too comfortable lying to unnie about us knowing each other when we both have no special reason for it.


 
                Hyoyeon unnie told me that Yonghwa used to work at the book cafe long before. It was around the time when it first opens its door to the customers. So, they become quite close to each other considering that they have the same age.


 
                Sometimes Hyoyeon unnie or her mother will ask him to fill in for the lack of workers inside of the bookstore because the part-timer sometimes would quit their job unnoticed or help to look after the café for a while if Hyoyeon unnie has something else to do.


 
                Like what was happening today, Yonghwa is supposed to be filling up from one of the employee who suddenly quit their job at the cafe. As ridiculous as it sounds to me, I never thought that he would be the type who would help someone like that.

 

                It is quite shocking to hear that Yonghwa is actually older than me. That means I have to treat him as someone older than I am. Even though I have no trouble speaking in formal tone, but still, I don't really see Yonghwa as an 'oppa' figure. With the way he's been acting, he feels more like a choding to me.

 

// End of Flashback//

 

****************

 

[Yonghwa’s POV]
 
                A few days after that encounter at Hyo’s book store, I enter the studio door where I see all our members are already waiting for me to start our daily practice.


 
                At one corner of the studio, where there is a small black sofa, Minhyuk is busy playing his PSP while Jungshin who is sitting next to him busy commenting on the game.


 
                “Yah, can’t you even avoid that?” Jungshin’s voice fills up the room scolding the still focused Minhyuk with whatever wrong move that he did in the game.


 
                Jonghyun who was sitting on a stool nearby suddenly stand up and greet me, “Hyung, you’re here.”

 


                I nod then signal Jonghyun to call for the other two to start the practice.

 


                 The two hours practice went by smoothly. We then ordered some takeout for dinner and now are waiting for the delivery man to come.

 


                “That new song we just played is just awesome hyung!” Jungshin says as he hands out a can of drink to me.

 


                “Yeah, I think so too. But don’t you think the lyric is just so cheesy? I don’t know why but I keep on getting the feeling that it’s not just empty words. Hyung are you like, in love with someone or something?”  Minhyuk suddenly adds.

 


                 “Hah! I think so too! Do you remember that agasshi we saw at the bar a few days ago? I was so curious that day! She really doesn’t seem like the type to hang out in a bar like that, you can guess it from her outfit. She looked like she just came back from—I don’t know, a family gathering or something.” Jungshin says.


             

                   “I noticed that too! She’s so not our Yonghwa hyung’s type, but who knows right? But, no way right? Yonghwa hyung would have a much higher standard, right hyung?” Minhyuk adds again, now looking straight at me.

 


                Their comments make me feels like a dagger had just been pierced straight to my lung.

 


                Damn, I should’ve chosen another place that night.

 


                I keep my mouth quite since I don’t want them to think that I’m hiding something from them but the urging to give Jongshin and Minhyuk a head lock for saying something like that to Seohyun is just so bad that I have to clench  my fist so I won’t lose it.

 


                I can’t tell them yet. Not before I understand this weird feeling that is going on inside of me these past few weeks.

 


                “She was at the bar? My bar? How come I didn’t know anything? ” Jonghyun who was just listening suddenly adds.

 


                “Because you were not at the bar as alw– ” Jungshin say when  suddenly got interrupted by Minhyuk, “As always!”

 


                Jungshin nods in agreement.

 


                Jonghyun glare at both of them who are now looking like a scared little puppies.

 


                Then he turns his head back to me and says, “So, what’s up hyung?”

 


                “Uh? It’s nothing actually, I was returning her phone. She was in old man’s class and I picked it up when she left it after class ended,” I say, trying to look as normal as possible.

 


                “Whoa whoa, you went to ahjusshi’s lecture? Now, that’s a big shocker,” Jonghyun says.

 


                “You did what hyung? Are you sick or something? You told us that you won’t ever attend Jung ahjusshi’s lecture ever again, so why? That night, you did say that she is ahjusshi’s student, but you never told me that you actually meet her when you attend ahjusshi’s class. But wait, did you tell me that you meet her in the class? Or you just know that she is in Jung ahjusshi class? Ahh this is confusing,” Jungshin continues to blabbers as he bombarded me with questions.

 


                Right after that, the delivery man arrives and distracts them from me. For now, I’m saved from my member’s curiosity.

 


                Sorry children, hyung can’t say anything yet because even hyung myself can’t quite figure out what is happening right now.

 


                To be honest, they were right. I did tell them that I won’t be coming to my uncle’s class anymore.  But I did come.

 


                It’s all because of her.

 


                Seo Joo Hyun

 


                That interesting girl who made me does crazy and stupid things for these past few weeks.

 


**********************


                I stand up in front of the lecture hall, still not believing my decision to come to class again.

 


                Are you crazy Jung Yonghwa? If you really come inside, you’ll definitely get mocked by the old man at home after this. Is this really has to be done?

 


                A few minutes passed and I finally gather my courage to open the door. I peek inside the room to see if the old man is already inside.

 


                “What are you doing not getting inside?”

 


                I quickly turn when I hear my uncle’s voice from behind my back.

 


                He must have just arrived.

 


                “Oh? Nothing, I’m going inside now,” I say as I turn my back again and quickly open the door wide.

 


                Damn, why does that old man have to be there! 

 


                Oh, this embarrassment! But I can’t turn away now since he already saw me. If I do, he’ll mock me even more than before.

 


                Arghhhh, why does Seohyun have to take this old man class? I rather go to all other classes that I usually skip compared to this boring crazy old man class.

 


                I quietly scan the room looking for her and I finally found her sitting in front. Next to her is the snob looking guy that I saw in front of the convenience store the other day.

 


                Who the hell is he anyway? They seem so close to each other.

 


                I grit my teeth as I sit on one of the empty seat at the back.

 


                The class finally started with the old man’s usual boring speech.

 


                I yawn as I plop my head on the table.

 


                From where I seat even with my head resting on the table like this, I can see clearly the seats where Seohyun and the snobby guy is sitting at.

 


                About one hour has gone by, but my eyes still looking towards Seohyun who seems to be perfectly focused on the lecture, when I suddenly hear the old man calling my name.

 


                “How about Jung Yonghwa?” he says.

 


                Oh no, I have no idea what is going on right now, but from the old man expression, I have a feeling that this is going to be bad for me.

 

**********************

 

 

[Seohyun’s POV]

 

                I was talking to Jinwoon when I saw him entering the class followed by Professor Jung.

 

                It's been a week after that last encounter at the bookstore and I haven't seen him anywhere since that day.

 

                Our eyes meet for a moment, and I felt a small tinge in my stomach.

 

                Oh god, why do I always feel nervous around him.

 

                Is it because all those humiliating things that happen when you're a round him?

 

                Well, that actually makes sense. I do have a few embarrassing moments around him and I would gladly give all my money to erase those moments inside my mind and in his too.

 

                The class then start as it usually is. Professor Jung will comment on our weekly reports or assignments first then he will proceed to the teaching.

 

                Almost halfway through the class, suddenly Professor Jung announced that he want us to form a group of three for our final project. We are going to have to submit it two weeks before the final examination start.

 

                That would mean we have about 3 months to finish up everything. I've heard from from of our sunbae that Philosophy Class final report could be tricky. I hope those three months would be sufficient.

 

                "You can choose one of the group members while the other one will be decided by me. So, for people that got under 30 marks on the last test, don't make any group yet because I will be the one who would sort you in," he says.

 

                Jinwoon nudge my arm a little, giving sign that he would want to be in the same group with me. Just like we always do.

 

                I turn towards him a little, then nod and smile in agreement.

 

                "So everyone have a group already?” Professor Jung asks.

 

                The students answered yes.

 

                "So now, I want all the group leaders to come to the front as I choose one more member for you," he then adds.

 

                "I'll go," Jinwoon says.

 

                He stand up and walk towards the front while Professor Jung had start reading the paper in his hands as he call out names and sorting the 'lower than 30 marks' students to their respecting group.

 

                Finally, the only groups that are left without their third member are three groups which one of them is ours.

 

                "So Jinwoon, who are you partnering up with?" Professor Jung asks Jinwoon.

 

                "It's Seo Joo Hyun, Proffesor, " he says while pointing out towards my direction.

 

                "Oh my, my best students are in one group? I will be expecting great report from you too," he says then adds, "Since you both are very good, I think I would have to place the lowest mark student in your group so he or she would learn one thing or two from you."

 

                He then shifts his attention back towards the paper in front of him.

 

                "Hmmmm...."

 

                "How about Jung Yonghwa?" he says while looking at Jinwoon.

 

                What????? Jung Yonghwa?

 

                Oh no, please not him! This is a very important report! I can't have him in my group!

               

                It would cause so much of a headache.

 

                I start to panic when I heard his name.

 

                I try to mouth the word 'NO' towards Jinwoon who is still standing next to Professor Jung.

 

                "Sure, why not."

 

                After Jinwoon said those words, I can feel that my world is crumbling.

 

                "Okay, Jung Yonghwa it is. I hope he won't get below 30 marks anymore after this."

 

                Professor Jung's remarks caused the whole class to burst into laughter.

 

                A final group report with him? 
                This is going to be tough.

 

                I let out a sigh as I see Jinwoon walking back towards our seat, being totally oblivious to this storm that is going on inside my head.

 

***********************

 

                After the class ends, the anxious feeling I've been having is getting worst by minutes.

 

                The students are already starting to move out of the class hall.

 

                Suddenly, out of the blue Jinwoon says in a loud voice, "So, who is Jung Yonghwa, anyone here?"

 

                Oh perfect, he is looking for that idiot.

 

                Stop it Jinwoon, I haven't finish thinking about how I would handle this.

 

                "It's me."

 

                Suddenly, a voice answers from the back of the back of the class.

 

                We both turn around towards the voice.

 

                There he is, standing a few feet away from us.

 

                "Oh there you are. Thank god you're still here or we might have a hard time looking for you afterwards. You know since the next class is next week. By the way, I'm Jeong Jinwoon, and this girl here is Seo Joo Hyun, or you can call her Seohyun, “Jinwoon says introducing himself and me to Yonghwa as he offers his hand for a handshake.

 

                "I was about to introduce myself too. Well, since you already know, I am Jung Yonghwa, the 'below 30 marks' student" he says as he reaches out his hand to accept Jinwoon's hand.

 

                Is he saying that as a joke or what?

 

                "Hey chill man, we don't think about it that way. After all, Prof Jung's philosophy class could be pretty burdensome and boring sometimes," Jinwoon says as he flashes his smile.

 

                Wow, I never thought that Jinwoon thinks that Philosophy class is boring. If he does, how did he manage to get those impressive marks?

 

                Oh good.

 

                Now I have a genius on my side who thinks philosphy class as 'burdensome' and an idiot who rarely attend the class.

 

                With that I can't help myself but to NOT look forward to start this assignment.

 

                But at least, I can rely on Jinwoon a little since he is good at it.

 

                As for Yonghwa?

 

                I have no idea what will happen next.

 


Hi guys!

Finally, Yong's POV is here

How is it? I hope you'll like it.

 

This part is quite longer than the others right?

Because I tried to write longer since I might not be able to update everyday

A new (and final) semester for my degree is starting today

So I can't give my full attention here

That would be bad right?

 

But maybe on this first week, update will come often

Idk, maybe twice or thrice

But later, the amount could vary

I could go hiatus for a week too

 

But for now, don't worry

I still have time to write before the huge tsunami of assignments arrives on my lap

 

So,have fun reading!

Tell me what you think!

The next chapter will also have a mix of Yong~ and Hyun~ POV

 

Have a nice day ^^