Part One

Miss Straight A's VS Mr.(Not So) Perfect

 

                I step inside the huge classroom hall while my eyes greedily scan for my best friend, Jinwoon. Starting from our favorite spot; the second front row right in the middle of the class, to the right and left side of it, until the upper row area which we never choose, yet I can’t seem to find him anywhere.

                I'm pretty sure he said yes when I asked him to reserve our seat for today’s class last night. I had to attend my research project meeting this morning so the chances for me to come in late was high. But from the look of it, I don’t think he’s here yet.

 

                Sigh

                I should’ve known better

 

                I mutter to myself as I start to find a seat for Jinwoon and me.

                Most of the spots at the front are now either occupied or already reserved by the students who came in earlier and what’s left is the back row where the ‘noisy’ group usually sat at.

                So, I have no choice but to sit at the back today. I casually picked a seat for me and placed my bag on the seat next to it in order to reserve one for Jinwoon.

              I take out my notebook and my pencil case like I always do every time I wait for the class to start and place it on the table in front of me. Then, I glanced at my pink wrist watch to check the time.

 

                It’s already ten minute past the supposed time for the lecture to start.

                 Professor Jung sure is late today.

 

                I reach for my bag again and take out my phone to check on Jinwoon since he is nowhere to be seen too.

             

               *INCOMING MESSAGE*

                Sender:  Jinwoonie

                Message: I can’t come today.Something came up.Sorry!! I’ll explain later.Take note for me too!! ❤❤❤^^

                                         

                I wonder what the problem is today. Jinwoon is such a troublemaker ever since we were small, but he is really good in studies so his parents usually cut him some slack. In my whole life, the only time I managed to beat him in examination was when he caught a cold on the exam day. That was nine years ago, and we were twelve.

 

                “Hey, this is my seat.”

                A sudden unfamiliar voice brings me back to reality. Puzzled, I look up to see his face.

                “I thought the seating is based on the first come first serve basis?” I said.

                “Yeah, maybe for the other seats but not this one. This is my seat and everyone knows that,” he replies, still standing right next to me.

 

                Usually, I would choose to avoid conflict and just get up and choose another seat. But strangely today, I feel a little annoyed by this unknown guy. Something about him just bothers me.

                 Is it the way he casually put his hands in the pocket of his jeans, or the way his bangs fall nicely on his forehead, or is it the way he sling his bag over his shoulder?

               I just don't know.

 

                “Oh, I never noticed it before, but really? From what I see, no one seems to care or say anything when I sat here earlier, so how about you give it up to me for today?” I said in my most polite but full of sarcasm tone.

                He seems a little shocked by my reply.

 

                “Hey guys, sorry I’m late. Let’s start our lecture today,” our conversation meet an abrupt stop when Professor Jung’s voice suddenly caught our attention.

                I divert my gaze towards the front.

 

                “Jung Yonghwa! How I missed to see your face in my class! We need to catch up later but first you need to sit down since I need to start my lecture now,” Professor Jung suddenly says while looking at my direction.

                To my absolute shock, the annoying guy is still standing next to my seat.

 

                “Urmm, I tried sir, but this lovely lady refused to let me sit next to her. I don’t know why, but maybe she is nervous to see my handsome face” he said while flashing a smile.

                The whole class is now filled with laughter.

                I throw a sharp glance towards him.

 

                “Well miss? Is the seat next to you taken?” Professor Jung points at the seat that was supposed to be for Jinwoon.

                “No Professor. It’s empty,” I reply as I try to control expression since everyone in the class is looking at my direction now.

                “So, problem solved, now sit Jung Yonghwa.”

 

                So, his name is Jung Yonghwa.

 

                My eyes scan on this guy once again as I reach for my bag to let him sit.

                How come I never noticed him before? I usually recognize every single face of my classmates by heart, even if I don’t know their name.

 

                Then I remembered Professor Jung’s word earlier.

                I guess he skips class a lot. From Professor Jung’s tone, it was definitely sarcasm.

 

                “I’ll let you off the hook today. But next time, that seat is mine,” he says half whispering to my ears.

                I respond with a sharp glance then draw my attention back to the professor.

                From the corner of my eyes, I could see him smirking.

 

               Wow, this guy is really ticking me off.

 

                I clench my fist to calm myself down a bit.

               For the first time in my life, I hope the class would end fast so I could get away from this weird person as far as I can.