9

The Caretaker's Story

Does anybody know if the correct term is regular milk or white milk? There is a large variety of milk, right? Well, the topic of milk comes up a lot in this fanfic considering the fact that Myungsoo likes to sneakily drink some with the help of the oh so trustworthy Sehun. So, I was quite confused while writing this chapter. I called it regular milk but white milk seemed like an option as well. Anyway, if anybody knows, please do let me know! I googled both and they showed similar results. Anyway, enjoy!


“Good morning, Sehun,” He greeted as I walked into the kitchen on the Sunday morning.

I nodded in reply, upset that he was the first person I had to see in the morning. He seemed to find it okay to come to our house whenever he felt like it.

“Daddy, I don’t want milk. Can’t I have ice-cream? Please?” Sun hi asked with her hands clasped together and her eyes looking up as innocently as possible.

“No, sweetheart. You must drink milk like Sehun. You’re going to drink milk, right?” He said while looking at me.

I turned around to open the fridge and get out a carton of milk. I sighed before pouring it into a glass and drinking it all in front of Sun Hi and my Father, just to please the two. Just like Sun Hi, I disliked regular milk very much but tolerated it anyway.

“Join us, Sehun,” My Father said while pouring some cereal in a bowl for me.

While watching him do so, memories of breakfast with my parents flooded my mind. Every morning, we would sit together at the table and eat. My Mother and Father drank their coffee while I settled for cereal and milk. My Father made sure to always change up the cereal every week so that I wouldn’t get sick of one type. But that was all over now.

“No thanks, I’ve got to go. Bye,” I said as I walked upstairs. There was no way that I would sit there and eat especially considering the fact that my Mother wasn’t home.

I picked out a red and white striped shirt and matched it with blue jeans. After packing my bag, I walked downstairs and took the keys from the counter.

“Let’s go, Sun Hi,” I said to my sister who was watching cartoons. On weekends, I was supposed to drop Sun Hi off at my Mom’s friend’s house if nobody would be home.

“She can stay with me,” My Father said while walking up to me.

“Bye, Oppa!” She called out from behind. I nodded my head and left without a word of goodbye.

○●○●○

“Sehun! Are you feeling better? It’s been a while since we’ve seen you!” Sungyeol cried as I entered the room.

“It’s been two days, Sungyeol,” I pointed out.

“Mrs. Lee left a present for you,” Woohyun said. I raised my eyebrows noticing the smirk on his face. He seemed to always have this mischievous look on his face.

“What is it?”

“I don’t know,” He shrugged. “It’s in the closet there.”

“Who leaves a present in a closet?” I muttered to myself while walking across the room. It was a closet with sliding doors and most of the guys’ jackets were in there. The closet was located on the side where Haneul’s bed was.

While walking over to it, I made eye contact with her and she smiled. I smiled back a bit before opening the closet. Out fell a mop with a bow on it and a little note attached.

Dear Sehun,

                I’m glad you’re feeling better! Now use your newfound health and mop the floor.

I scoffed, “This was the present?”

The guys all began laughing with Woohyun being in the lead. I groaned before getting a bucket of water and beginning the dreadful process. This cleaning was beginning to become a regular thing.

 It was horrible.

“Hey, Sehun,” I heard Haneul say.

“Yea?”

“Can you return this book to the library for me? I finished it,” She held up one of the books she picked out yesterday. She was back in her hospital clothing and looked better than last night; she looked well-rested.

“Sure,” I said as eagerly as possible and grabbed the book from her and put it in my bag. I really didn’t want to take another trip to that darn building full of people who don’t speak.

“Oh!” I suddenly remembered. “A nurse told me that Sunggyu, Dongwoo and Hoya have to go to the therapy room.”

“Oh really? That's odd, I thought I wouldn't have to go today,” Hoya said while getting off the bed.

“Be careful of the floor.”

“I'm going to sleep now!” Sungyeol announced.

“Me too,” Sungjong joined.

I nodded my head and then turned to Woohyun, “Woohyun, the nurse told me to tell you that you have to go somewhere as well. Uh, she said you would know.”

“Ah, okay, thanks,” Woohyun left and then only Myungsoo, Haneul and I were left awake.

I mopped the floor and even ran a dry cloth on it to get rid of the remaining water.

“Hey you finish books pretty quickly.”

“I love books. Don't people always do what they love?”

“I guess...” I said, not completely agreeing.

“Haneul, when did you get the book?” Myungsoo sat on the empty bed with me.

“Yesterday,” I subconsciously answered.

“How did you know that, Sehun?” He asked me.

My eyes widened a bit and I rummaged through my head to find a good excuse.

None.

“Well-” I began.

“He was with me at the library yesterday,” Haneul confessed.

“Oh, so you weren’t sick,” Myungsoo looked at me. “Tsk, bad boy. I will give you a punishment now, let’s go.”

My eyebrows met in confusion as Myungsoo pulled me up. Haneul raised an eyebrow before laughing and taking out a math textbook to read. Now who reads a math textbook?

We left the room with Myungsoo guiding us. I wondered whether he would tell Mrs. Lee or worse my Mom. Then again, he didn’t know who my Mother was.

My fear quickly alleviated when we entered the cafeteria and Myungsoo took out two dollars. We were buying milk. Unlike normal, Myungsoo bought two normal milk cartons rather than two chocolate—although sometimes he bought normal milk for himself.

“Uh, I think you pressed the wrong button,” I said. Myungsoo didn’t answer my question and instead, he walked out of the cafeteria and went to the elevator. I scrambled to chase after him and found myself in the elevator going to the second floor. Ah, the terrace.

“I told you I was giving you a punishment, so you must drink the regular milk,” Myungsoo said with a smile.

I let out a sigh but took the milk anyway, “Punishment indeed.”

“Tell me something about you,” Myungsoo suddenly commanded.

“There’s nothing interesting about me.”

“Sehun, we stand here for a bit almost everyday drinking the milk that I really shouldn’t be drinking. Don’t ya think I should know a bit about my partner in crime?”

I breathed out a small laugh, “What do you want to know?”

“Tell me honestly,” He began and I listened intently. “Who is your favourite amongst us?”

“What? Myungsoo, I can’t answer that!”

“No fun…”

I thought about his question and wondered who my favourite really was. It was obvious that my favourite girl would have to be Haneul but favourite guy? They were all interesting but I didn’t know them well enough. I talked to Myungsoo and Sungyeol the most—although Sungyeol was the one who talked for majority of the time.

I had learned a lot about Sungyeol. Like how he liked monkeys and often found himself searching up information about them. He had a great love for coffee but wasn’t allowed to drink it because he was sick.

Myungsoo liked to take pictures and Sungjong liked to watch me ride my skateboard. Sunggyu and Woohyun liked to sing; Woohyun would always make a joke in the middle of the song, though. Dongwoo and Hoya loved dancing so when they had enough energy, they would show me a couple of moves.

I realized that I was smiling at the thought of all of them.

“What’s your favourite sport? You look like you would like soccer,” Myungsoo pointed out.

My smile faded and was replaced with a frown, “No. I hate that sport.”

“Oh, really? Guess I was wrong although you really do look like you would be a good soccer player. Have you ever thought about playing it?”

“No,” I said as calmly as possible. “Let’s go back, the guys must be wondering where we are.”

I walked ahead without Myungsoo, a bit upset. I guess you could say that I turned into an emotional person when someone mentioned soccer. It was hard trying to suppress the feelings, really.

○●○●○

“I have half an hour left,” I said as I looked at the time on my phone. “Is there anything you want me to do? Just say anything so that I could get Mrs. Lee off my back.”

“Well since nobody else asked for anything, can we go outside again?” Sungjong asked. I thought for a bit and then nodded my head. Taking my bag with me, I led the guys and Haneul out to the open field in the back.

“What should we do?”

“Oh! I know,” Dongwoo suddenly exclaimed. I raised my eyebrows as he ran back into the hospital.

“He really shouldn’t be running,” Haneul said as she shook her head. I looked down at her and agreed.

“You shouldn’t read too much, you know?”

“I know, but what can I do? Stop breathing as well?”

I furrowed my eyebrows and was about to ask her what she meant but Dongwoo came back with something behind his back. He smiled brightly and showed the well-polished soccer ball he was hiding.

“Let’s play soccer! Woohyun’s great at it, Sehun. You seem to be good at it as well.”

“Told you,” Myungsoo muttered.

“I-I don’t want to,” I managed to say. Dongwoo, though, didn’t give up and dragged me to the middle of the field with Sungyeol.

“You can be on that team with Hoya, Dongwoo and Sunggyu,” Woohyun pointed out. “Haneul said she’ll be the referee.”

Before I knew it the match started and shouts and screams were heard everywhere. Sunggyu kept telling me to grab the ball when it came near me but I just remained frozen as if someone had stuck me to the ground. The feeling of being on the soccer field was too familiar for my liking.

And I swear, at one point, I saw my Dad sitting on the bench smiling at me.

“Sehun, grab it!” Hoya shouted as the ball came to me. Hesitantly, I began kicking the ball slowly as I ran to Myungsoo who was guarding the net. I raised my right leg and brought it in contact with the ball. Enough force was exerted and the ball landed with a small thud behind Myungsoo.

I smiled a bit, happy that I had scored. It felt like my last soccer match all over again. Getting caught up in the feeling, I turned around expecting to see my Father but he wasn’t there.

And that was when reality took over once again. What exactly was I doing? I needed to leave.

“I have to go,” I said as I grabbed my bag and ran off the field, ignoring the shouts of the guys. Lucky for me, the bus was already at the stop so I quickly got on it and chose to sit on the lonely seat at the back.

I couldn’t believe I had acted so recklessly. Playing soccer? I had stopped that a long time ago. So, I made my mind to never play again, no matter what the situation is.

○●○●○

Sitting on the bus helped calm me down a lot. It allowed me to reflect back on the day as well. I realized that I had a day full of different emotions. I was what people liked to call cold this morning; my Father was not the first person I liked to see. Then, I become the normal me when I got to the hospital but left with hard feelings once again.

I sighed as I thought about how I wanted to get rid of this emotional instability.

“Last stop!” I heard the bus driver yell. I got up and walked off the bus and down the street to my home.

It was eight o’clock which meant that dinner was about to be served soon. I patted my stomach when entering my home and dropped my bag off on a couch.

“Oppa!” Sun Hi yelled as she ran up to me with her arms flailing around. “Daddy bought me a new doll today. Do you like her? I named her Sehun.”

I chuckled, “Sun Hi, Sehun is a boy name. Isn’t your doll a girl?”

“But I want her to be named Sehun,” She pouted.

“Okay, name her Sehun,” I patted her head as I set her back down on the ground. I watched her run back to the couch and continue playing her games. My mood instantly brightened and I even hugged my Mother as a form of hello.

“How was your day, honey?”

“Interesting.”

She laughed a bit, “That’s good. Dinner is almost ready, go get changed and come down. Oh and can you get me my sweater? It’s in my office.”

I walked up the stairs and quickly ran into my bedroom to change my clothes. After putting away my bag, I walked down the hallway into my Mother’s office with a happy attitude. Coming home just changed my view of the day. It was nice.

I opened the door and walked to the desk covered in papers and files. I grabbed her sweater off the chair and turned around to head back out.

But something caught my attention. And that something managed to create another emotionally unstable moment of my life.