32

The Caretaker's Story

 

“Stretch your arms up more,” Woohyun sang as he shook the rolled-up paper in his hand at me.

I sighed before doing as told. We were exercising again today since Woohyun thought I should be in perfect shape for when soccer practises are back on. I groaned at the thought of training with Woohyun; he was quite brutal when it came to stretches.

Nonetheless, I appreciated his efforts in helping me greatly. He helped make me more flexible and showed me quite a lot of tricks I could use when playing. The rest of the guys would come out as well, but only stay for a bit.

“Meet me you-know-where when you’re done,” Myungsoo said as he walked away.

I agreed and turned back to Woohyun, “What should I do now?”

“Run,” He simply said.

“Run? But why?”

“You need to improve your speed, Sehun. I’ve been watching you for quite some time and you’re not fast enough. So run two laps around the field, go!”

I sighed but obliged and began jogging lightly. Woohyun took notice right away and yelled for me to run faster. I mimicked him but sped up anyway. While finishing my first lap, I saw Haneul.

“Sehun!” She called out.

“Hi,” I waved as I ran to her. “I don’t think I can stop to talk, Woohyun will get mad.”

She laughed, “Okay, I’ll just go wait with him for now then.”

○●○●○

I collapsed on the grass in front of the gazebo. Woohyun forced me to run another three laps and by the time I was done, I was completely drained of energy.

“Tired?” Woohyun asked me as he handed me a water bottle.

I scoffed as I sat up, “Well of course I would be! Look at what you made me do.”

He chuckled, “I’m just trying to help a friend. I want you to be in perfect shape so you can win, you know.”

I looked at him before taking a big gulp from the water bottle. Haneul came and sat on my right while handing me a towel. I took it and wiped the sweat off my forehead and neck.

“We should practise in the evening,” I said as I squinted up at the sun.

“I like it when the sun’s out,” Haneul said as she spread her arms out.

“So do I,” Woohyun agreed.

“Guess I’m the only one who doesn’t,” I said before lying down again.

○●○●○

I felt someone shake me. I resisted their shakes and turned around, trying to pull my blanket back on top of me. But I was surprised when I couldn’t find a blanket. Instead, I found someone’s hand. That was when I decided to open my eyes.

“You’re finally awake?” Haneul asked me.

She was looking over at me, covering the sun from hitting my face. I realized that I fell asleep on the grass.

“Yea,” I said as got up.

“You must have been really tired,” She giggled as she rested her cheek on her knees.

I stretched a bit before standing up, “I was. Hey how long did I sleep for and where did Woohyun go?”

“Ms. Choi called for Woohyun and you slept for forty five minutes,” She said as she lifted a hand in my direction. I knew that she wanted me to pull her up so that was what I did. She collided with my chest and looked up at me. She smiled her cute smile before skipping off.

“Where are you going?” I cried.

“Away from you,” She sang.

I shook my head before walking behind her slowly. Her skipping allowed her to go much farther than me and soon, I could only see her faintly.

“Sehun!” Somebody called.

I tried to look for the source of the voice which oddly sounded like Myungsoo, but couldn’t find it. I looked behind me when the person called again. I decided to look up and I found Myungsoo giving me an upset look. That was when I remembered that I was supposed to meet him at the terrace a long time ago.

“I’m so sorry!” I yelled. “I’ll be there in five minutes!”

I ran into the building and found my way to the elevator. I then rode it up to the second floor and ran down the hallway to the opening.

“I fell asleep,” I said as I held up my hands in defense, out of breath. Myungsoo turned around and glared at me before throwing a carton of milk my way.

“I don’t care if it’s warm now, drink it,” He ordered.

I smiled knowing he wasn’t very mad, “Okay.”

Everything hushed down after a while and all that could be heard was the wind blowing and birds chirping. Myungsoo and I stood in our comfortable silence as per usual and I couldn’t have asked for more. I spent most of my time with Woohyun and he didn’t allow for much silence so being with Myungsoo was always relieving.

“Sehun,” Myungsoo began. “I know your secret.”

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked down at him, “What secret? I don’t have any.”

“Well, I guess it’s not a secret then,” He shrugged.

“So what’s this piece of information you know about me?” I asked, turning towards him.

He remained silent.  Myungsoo kept his gaze steady ahead of him and refused to show any sign of emotion. This only created more curiosity within me as I waited for him to go on.

“Haneul.”

My mouth went slightly ajar, “Oh, that secret.”

He let out a small laugh, “Yes, Sehun, that secret. I can see right through your actions. It’s quite interesting watching you, you know.”

I groaned as I hung my head down, “No, it isn’t! I don’t like this very much you know.”

“What?” He asked. “The fact that you’re in love with the girl that your friend is in love with?”

I let out another groan, “Yes! And it’s not love!”

Myungsoo patted my back sympathetically, “It’s okay, young one.”

I looked up at him, “Young one?”

He nodded his head as he continued to pat my back, “Well, luckily for you, I’m sure nobody else has noticed. So continue on with what you’re doing because the rest of the guys are too dense anyway—although Sunggyu hyung may have noticed.”

“Myungsoo, you don’t understand, I don’t want to continue doing this,” I sighed. “I don’t like girls.”

Myungsoo scoffed, “Oh, really?”

What I said was true, though. All throughout high school, I had received numerous love letters and confessions but never once had I given the girls a second glance. They would be dejected and I ended up managing to get a group of girls hate me due to my constant rejection. But, that did not change anything as I never really gave love much of a thought. But here I was, slowly falling into this feeling and I wasn’t too fond of it so far.

“Well, when did these feelings start?” Myungsoo asked.

“I don’t know,” I cried as I wracked through my brain. “I just sort of fell right into this position. There were no middle feelings, really.”

Myungsoo gave me an odd look, “This story is getting more interesting by the moment.”

“But do you think Woohyun wants to actually get together with Haneul?” I asked.

Myungsoo shrugged, “I’m not sure. For all we know, he may not even consider her anything but a sister.”

“You’re right,” I nodded. “I guess I’ll let it be for now.”

“I’d really like to help, but there’s more to the story than you think, Sehun. Haneul, she’s a bit more complicated than most girls would be and Woohyun knows that. So, you’re behind in the game,” Myungsoo said as he patted my back. “Just letting you know so that there’s a fair playing field.”

○●○●○

“Hey, Sehun, do you think they’ll give us some cake one day?” Woohyun asked out of the blue.

The two of us were sitting in the library room I found him in previously. We came here every once in a while when Woohyun felt like reading a book. I would make time in between my duties to go to the room with him and would suffer through books that Haneul gave us to read.

Woohyun, though, would read happily. He would even go back and tell Haneul what he liked and disliked about the book. I was quite surprised but happy as well.

“Nope,” I said. “Why would they give patients food they shouldn’t eat?”

“God, I want cake so badly,” Woohyun sighed as he slumped down farther in the couch.

“Woohyun, you should eat healthy,” I advised as I flipped the page of the book.

“So should you,” He retorted. “You know what? We should make a new diet for you!”

I gaped at him, “No, thank you. I’m fine with my diet right now. I’m in shape so that’s all that matters.”

Woohyun didn’t listen to me and took out a notepad and a pencil. He began telling me about the four food groups and soon, he had a whole chart made. He told me which foods I should eat a couple of days before big games and which ones I shouldn’t eat at all.

“Are you getting all this, Sehun?” He asked.

“Yes, teacher,” I said.

He continued on talking and I smiled at his stupid jokes. He treated me like a child and told me stories of how a monster would eat me up if I didn’t drink my milk every day. I told him that I was already tall and healthy so no monster could eat me. Then, I proceeded to make fun of his height. He retorted by making fun of my lips, claiming they weren’t cute like his.

 It was then that I realized that Haneul was right; Woohyun was truly a really good guy. And I understood even more why Haneul said she hated that about him because I found myself detesting that as well.