35

The Caretaker's Story

 

“Chocolate milk for you and Vanilla for me,” Myungsoo said as he handed me the cartons.

“Thanks,” I grinned.

“Are you going to quit your current soccer team?”

“Yea, I already did,” I said, thinking back to Chen. When I told him about the national team recruitment, he was more than happy. He told me he would miss me and I told him the same. We made a promise to make sure we meet each other in the future.

“Wow, things are moving quickly.”

“They are,” I nodded my head. “I wonder when I will get to play.”

“No offense or anything, but I don’t think it will be soon,” Myungsoo patted my back.

“Yea, I figured.”

“But I still think you’ll do great,” Myungsoo patted my back.

“Things are working out so great, aren’t they?”

“For you, yes.”

“You’re not happy?”

“Well, I’m still stuck in this hospital, aren’t I?”

I nodded my head while looking away, “Haneul wouldn’t be happy if she heard that. She would tell you to be happy that you’re surrounded by friends.”

“She would,” Myungsoo agreed. “Speaking of Haneul, what’s going on between the two of you right now?”

I sighed, “Nothing, Myungsoo, absolutely nothing.”

It was Myungsoo’s turn to sigh, “Still no move? You need to step up your game, Sehun.”

I scoffed, “Is that so?”

○●○●○

“What are you doing, Haneul?” I asked her as I followed her out of the room.

We were sitting around waiting for lunch time to come. It was a slow day at the hospital and everybody was just lazily moving along—even the nurses were. I was reading through a book that Woohyun kept talking about while he was sleeping but couldn’t help but get bored. It was a wonder how he managed to get to the twentieth chapter.

Getting fed up with thee book, I looked for another source of entertainment. And as per usual, I looked towards Haneul. Lucky for me, she stood up at that moment and walked out of the room. I quickly followed after her.

“To the kitchen,” She said.

“Why?”

“I promised to help with lunch today. I haven’t had a chance to help out in a while because my therapy schedule has been changed up a lot.”

“I’ll come with you,” I said while smiling.

Haneul looked up at me with an eyebrow raised, “Are you sure you can handle it? You might get some food on yourself.”

I scoffed, “I hand out food every day.”

“But you never make it,” Haneul sang.

I pushed her forehead back and she pouted her cute little pout. Haneul kept trying to push my forehead but failed due to the immense height difference. I laughed at her failed attempts. In the end, I decided to bend down myself and let her push me.

“Happy now?” I asked.

“What do you think I am, a child?” She asked while scoffing. But after a while she said, “Yes.”

○●○●○

“I’m never helping you out in the kitchen again,” I groaned as we walked out of the cafeteria after two agonizing hours.

I never knew how much time it took just to make food. There were so many precautions we had to take care of and waiting for the food to cook took really long. There were so many allergies we had to make sure to note down as well. My head was spinning with different foods that caused people to have allergic reactions as we walked out of the cafeteria.

Haneul laughed, “I knew you couldn’t do it. Just stick to soccer, Sehun. You’re good at that.”

“Oh, you just admit I’m good at soccer,” I smiled, proud.

“Well, you are,” She shrugged before going ahead of me. I didn’t want to go back to the room so I pulled on her arm. She stumbled back into my chest and I leaned down to whisper in here ear; something Woohyun always did.

“Let’s go outside.”

And within moments, Haneul and I were sitting on a bench in the garden. I never came to the garden often because there wasn’t much to do. Many elderly patients would take walks around the garden to admire the different flowers. I never saw children here, though. But it wasn’t like I expected any.

“I love flowers,” Haneul sighed. “They’re so pretty. Don’t you think so?”

“I guess,” I shrugged. “Bees pee in them, though.”

Haneul gave me a disgusted look and slapped my arm, “Ew!”

I laughed, “You actually believed me?”

She turned to look at me, “Why? That’s not true?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know. Go ask a bee.”

Haneul huffed, “You , Oh Sehun.”

I smirked while looking away. It had always been fun teasing Haneul. As smart as she was, Haneul was pretty gullible. She once believed me when I told her I had to get my appendix removed. But my little teasing failed when she called the nurses to check up on me. I ended up getting in trouble with Ms. Choi.

“What are we doing here?” Haneul asked randomly.

“I don’t know. I didn’t feel like going back into the room. It’s stuffy in there and anyway, the guys are probably all sleeping.”

Haneul nodded her head before standing up and walking through the garden. She swung her arms back and forth and I walked behind her slowly. The sun shined on her long hair that looked so inviting. She looked like an angel from behind. Then again, she looked like an angel from the front as well.

“Let’s sit over here, it’s nice,” Haneul said as she pointed to a seat in front of a fountain.

“Sure,” I nodded.

We sat down and watched the water come out of the fountain. I decided to take out two coins to throw in the fountain just for fun. I made a silly little wish and threw the coin in the fountain.

“Here, make a wish and then throw it into the fountain,” I handed Haneul the coin.

She took the coin and closed her eyes to make a wish. After a minute or so, she opened her eyes and threw the coin. It sank to the bottom, joining the rest of the coins tossed in there.

“What did you wish for?” She asked me.

“I can’t tell you! My wish won’t come true then.”

Haneul laughed, “Do you actually believe in that?”

I nodded my head, “Yes, I do.”

But of course I wouldn’t tell her what I wished for. I wished that this moment would last forever; a moment in which Haneul and I were sitting in each other company with no worries. That was the moment I would cherish forever. But somewhere, deep inside of me, I knew this wish wouldn’t come true. Because we all wish for things we know will never come true.

“You’re silly, Sehun,” Haneul shook her head. “But you’ve changed a lot.”

“Have I?”

“Yes, you have. I remember the first time I saw you. You were so dull! You had no interest in us and it seemed like you always wanted to leave the hospital. We all thought you hated us which is why Woohyun never spoke to you,” She laughed. “Do you remember when he would always be sleeping?”

“Yea,” I nodded my head.

“Well, he would sleep whenever you were here, but would stay awake all night long! And to think you two are so close now. How funny.”

I had an offended look on my face, “Are you saying Woohyun was trying to ignore me?”

“Pretty much,” Haneul giggled. “But don’t tell him I said that!”

“Woohyun’s so weird,” I muttered.

“But he’s your best friend! Anyway, Woohyun’s really nice. I’ve never seen anybody hate Woohyun.”

“Has anybody ever hated you?”

I would find it odd if somebody did hate Haneul. She was so nice and caring.

“I don’t know. Maybe somebody out there does hate me—actually, there has to be somebody out there who doesn’t like me,” She said.

“I wouldn’t say so,” I muttered.

“Huh?” She asked.

I poked her forehead, “Nothing, Haneul.”

○●○●○

And that was what we did for the rest of the day. Haneul and I sat on that bench and watched the water fall out of the fountain along with the sun that fell down the sky. We talked about whatever popped in our minds and sometimes, we just sat there. A warm silence took over us at the end of the day and it was more inviting than an actual conversation. We watched the sun go down and the moon come out. And that was all I needed for my wish to come somewhat true. It was close enough.