30

The Caretaker's Story

 

“Sehun, your school provides some really great snacks!” Woohyun exclaimed as he put an arm around me. “Like those tarts over there, God they’re so delicious.”

I sighed, “Woohyun, you shouldn’t be eating too much of this stuff. Let’s just go out for dinner now and eat much healthier food.”

Woohyun groaned, “Party pooper.”

I chuckled and patted Woohyun’s head, “Sorry, Woohyun. Now let’s go get Dongwoo away from the snack table. I think he’s fallen in love with the chocolate cake.”

○●○●○

“Mom, we have to be really strict about what they eat, okay?” I asked my Mother as we walked towards our car. The guys were in front of us, talking amongst themselves, so I took this as the perfect opportunity to talk to my Mother.

“Alright,” She nodded. “We’ll make sure they eat what’s best for them.”

“Yep, oh, but they’ll probably whine a bit or try to sweet-talk you into letting them have something they can’t. So, just be warned,” I told her.

She stopped and looked up at me while smiling. She then raised a hand and placed it on my cheek. I gave her a puzzled look while staring back at her.

After a while, I decided to speak, “Why are you staring at me like that?”

It was as if my words brought her out of a trance. She shook her head and just smiled while saying it was nothing. I shrugged my shoulders and went ahead to decide the seating arrangements. Since there were so many of us, my Mother and Father both brought their own cars.

“Sunggyu Oppa will sit with me!” Sun Hi yelled while holding Sunggyu’s hand.

“Thank God she didn’t call him a princess, I was beginning to get worried,” my Father said as he shook his head.

“Okay, then Sunggyu, Sun Hi, Haneul, Hoya and Sungjong can go in my Mother’s car. The rest can come with me in my Father’s car,” I said.

I sat in the front seat next to my Father, while Woohyun and Dongwoo sat in the middle seats of the SUV. Myungsoo and Sungyeol sat in the back.

“My legs are longer than all of yours, so why am I sitting in the back!?” Sungyeol complained.

“Me too!” Myungsoo added in.

“My legs are long as well,” Woohyun said. Sungyeol just snorted at his remark and turned around trying to create a comfortable position for his poor long legs.

“I’m warning you guys now, you must eat healthy there,” I said sternly, trying to be a responsible caretaker. Ms. Choi had warned me from beforehand to make sure they ate properly while smiling quite creepily.

“Party pooper,” Woohyun repeated while emphasizing every syllable.

“Well, at least we get to go to a restaurant, right?” Dongwoo said optimistically.

I turned around and smiled and Dongwoo, “I’m seriously considering labelling you as my favourite.”

Dongwoo smiled a bright smile and Sungyeol just hit his head. He earned a glare from Myungsoo and Woohyun just pouted in an attempt to be cute. I raised my eyebrows at him before turning back to the front.

○●○●○

“Wow, this place is so nice,” Woohyun said as we walked into the restaurant. My Father and Mother went ahead to ask for our table.

“Keep your mouth closed, you’re going to drool,” Haneul said as she lifted Woohyun’s chin.

“Come on guys,” My Father said.

We followed him down the dimly lit restaurant. There were some tables out in the open and others in rooms. We had reserved a large table inside of a room in the restaurant. The room was decorated in red, brown and gold. The table we sat at was a long rectangular table with a red table cloth going over it.

“What would you like to order today?” The waiter asked.

“The healthiest food you have,” I said loudly.

“Party pooper,” Woohyun muttered again. I kicked him from under the table and he groaned.

Haneul was sitting beside him who was sitting right in front of me. Beside me was Sunggyu on the right and Myungsoo on the left. We were all starving and ready for the food to come. But the tragedy of waiting came upon us as the waiter asked us to be patient for fifteen minutes.

“I hate waiting,” Myungsoo said in a quiet voice.

“Me too,” Sungyeol agreed from across the table as he rested his face on his hand.

“So have any of you guys graduated from high school?” My Mother asked.

The all shook their heads but said that they had studied a bit of it. Haneul was the farthest in her studies amongst all and was soon going to receive her diploma as well. She was quite smart which would make sense since she tutored me.

“I can be your teacher since I have a diploma now,” I said with a stupid grin slapped on my face.

Haneul scoffed, “Sure.”

“Just stick to soccer,” Woohyun said.

My parents snapped their heads towards me and my eyes widened. My parents were not supposed to find out I played soccer—well, not like this at least.

“Soccer?” My Father asked.

“Yea, he’s amazing,” Woohyun stated. The guys all agreed and I bit my lip while hanging my head down low.

“Do you have something you wish to tell us, Sehun?” My Mother asked.

I sighed, “Well, I don’t really wish to tell you but, I’ve begun playing soccer again. I joined the same team as last time about three weeks ago and I’ve been going to practise ever since.”

I finally confessed the truth and I felt much more relieved. I looked up expecting an answer but instead, it was quiet; very quiet. Nobody said a thing and we all waited for my parents to answer. Instead of relief, tension engulfed me. I was scared of how my parents would react and whether they would let me continue to play or not.

I was mostly afraid of my Mother’s reaction, though. I had never talked to her about soccer and told her that I didn’t like the sport very much. I knew that the word itself would cause her pain. So how would I playing the sport make her feel?”

“That’s amazing!” She exclaimed.

I looked up at my Mother who was smiling widely, “You should have told us before. Oh my goodness, I can’t wait to see you play again!”

The worry in me slowly left and I smiled back at her. My Father said he was happy as well and that he was excited to watch me from the bleachers.

“We should all go one day,” Sun Hi said randomly. Sunggyu ruffled her hair and smiled down at her.

○●○●○

After what seemed like an eternity, our food finally came. We dug in gratefully and ate until our stomachs couldn’t handle anything else. I suggested we skip out on dessert since the guys ate a lot of sweets at my graduation. Sun Hi was a bit sad but she let it go and hopped on Sunggyu’s back.

“Sun Hi, get off of Sunggyu,” I said as I brought her down. I was afraid Sunggyu would get hurt.

“Oppa,” She whined. “You nag me too much.”

“He’s a party pooper, right, Sun Hi?” Woohyun asked from afar.

I turned around to glare at him to which he replied with a big grin. Oh, Woohyun.

○●○●○

It was completely quiet at home. Sun Hi had gone to sleep and my Father had to go back to his office to grab some files he needed. He was going on a business trip to Busan; his home town.

I walked downstairs to see what my Mother was doing. I expected her to be watching TV but instead, she was sitting on the dinner table, eating cake.

“Having fun?” I asked as I leaned against the wall with my hands in the pockets of my sweat pants.

“Oh, I didn’t notice you were here. Come have some cake.”

I took the invitation and sat down next to her. I grabbed a fork and ate some of the delicious desert. It was chocolate cake with blue icing and strawberries neatly placed on top.

“Why didn’t you tell us about soccer?” She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, “Just because.”

“Where did the idea of even playing come from?”

“Woohyun. He asked me to play for him because he claims to be dying. I’m choosing not to believe in his claims, though.”

“I’m very proud of you, Sehun.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Well, you’re playing soccer again but not for yourself, for someone else. I know how much you detested it back then. Also, you’re such a caring young man now. The way you made sure that your friend were eating the proper food was so considerate,” She said as she let her hand run through my hair. “And you graduated without failing any courses. You’ve become so selfless, Honey.”

“Mom, you’re embarrassing me,” I groaned as my cheeks went red.

She laughed, “I’m just saying whatever’s true, Sehun. You know, your Dad even noticed this nice new Sehun. He’s very proud of his son.”

My eyes fell down to the cake plate as I thought about my Father. I hadn’t spent much time with him, mainly due to my busy schedule. But I wondered, would I spend time with him if I was free?

“Being selfless is hard, you know, and I’m so proud of you being able to be like that. There’s nothing more I could ask for than having wonderful children.”

She gave my hand a squeeze before standing up, “Well, I better get your Father’s things ready for tomorrow. Are you coming up?”

“I’ll be there in a bit,” I said.

○●○●○

I listened to the silence in the kitchen; something I learned to do from Haneul. When I would do my homework, I tended to listen to music or watch TV. Haneul told me it was wrong to do my work in so much noise. I asked her why and she said it was because the noise didn’t allow me to hear myself. So now, I listened to the silence since it’s the closest thing to hearing my thoughts.

“God, why I am thinking about her again?” I groaned as I dropped my head on the table.

“So much for being selfless,” I muttered.


I updated earlier than normal today :) I hope you enjoyed ^^

Have a great day/night!

Don't forget to comment~