7

The Caretaker's Story

Two weeks or so had passed by in a flash and things were going as great as they possibly could. I regularly went to the hospital and took care of the guys. I also regularly handed out sandwiches and other snacks at five o’clock every evening. Sometimes Myungsoo would come with me and we’d get some milk. I would always be on the lookout for a nurse as we walked to the terrace; our regular spot.

As requested by Sungjong, I rode my skateboard for him again that day. It was the second Saturday of April and the temperature was shooting up. Sungjong and Sunggyu sat underneath a gazebo while I was out in the open with the sun covering my backside.

“Sungjong, I’m tired.”

“Just once more, please?!” He pleaded ever so nicely.

“Sungjong let him rest. He’s tired,” Sunggyu said while sitting up. I assumed he was taking a nap before.

“Just once more, hyung. Please, Sehun?”

I sighed, “Fine.”

I did as Sungjong wanted and rode the skateboard while performing one of the tricks he loved so much.

“No more, okay?” I said as I left the skateboard to roll away. I wiped some sweat off my forehead and walked into the hospital grumpily.

“Hey, Sehun!” I heard someone call. I turned to my right to see Myungsoo holding up two cartons of milk. I immediately smiled and walked over to him.

“Perfect timing,” I said as I took a sip of the cold milk. I sighed contently and we began walking to the terrace on the second floor.

“You’re graduating from high school this year, right?” Myungsoo asked randomly.

“Yea.”

“Do you know what you’re going to do in the future?”

“No,” I said while looking down; I hated questions like those.

“Must be nice,” Myungsoo said ambiguously.

I raised an eyebrow, “What?”

“Being able to study.”

○●○●○

“Oh Sehun, Come here for a moment,” Mrs. Lee said as I walked out of the kitchen.

“When was the last time you cleaned the room?” She asked me with not a very impressed look settled on her face.

“Uh,” I said as I thought back to when I actually cleaned. I really didn’t want to clean so I usually avoided that job.

“Also, have you been keeping track of the patient’s medicines? You do know how much everyone is supposed to take, right?” She asked.

I blinked my eyes at her, completely unaware that I was even supposed to keep track of their medicines.

“Oh Sehun, are you even doing your job?”

“Yea,” I said—well more like asked.

Mrs. Lee took a deep breath before looking me straight in the eye, “Sehun, I expect you to do your job properly. That includes cleaning the room regularly and making sure they take their medicines.”

“Can’t they take their medicine themselves?” I muttered while looking away.

“Taking one pill everyday isn’t as easy as we make it out to seem. They need help swallowing that tiny pill.”

I watched Mrs. Lee walk away as I thought about what she said. It was all a mystery to me; why they were in the hospital, why Myungsoo couldn’t drink milk and why they needed help swallowing a miniscule pill.

I lightly shrugged my shoulders before getting a broom from the janitor’s closet. He insisted I take a mop as well but I kindly declined; who would want to the do the extra cleaning? After getting out of the closet as fast as possible, I rode the elevator to the third floor.

I realized that I had become accustomed to walking past three rooms on the right to get to where I needed to be. I became used to seeing the nurse’s office when I handed out sandwiches and I got used to the same grandpa asking me what kind of sandwiches I had every day.

It wasn’t a bad routine.

“You’re cleaning?” Woohyun asked when I entered the room.

I nodded my head and began to use the broom. Everybody besides Woohyun, Hoya and Haneul were sleeping.

“This is a surprise, you never clean,” Haneul laughed. “Don’t you know it’s bad for patients to be in an unclean environment?”

I nodded my head a bit and resumed my task. Hoya got off his bed and walked to the empty bed beside Haneul’s.

“What ya doin’?” He asked with a smile that showed all his teeth.

“Homework.”

“Of course you would, you’re no fun, Haneul. Let’s play something or watch a movie,” Hoya said as he tried to pull Haneul up.

“You do homework?” I asked Haneul as I rested my cheek on the broom, causing me to have to crouch a bit.

“Yea, how else will I graduate?”

“You’re my age?”

“I don’t know. It depends on how old you are,” She smiled.

“I was born in 1994, you?”

“June of 1994.”

“Well, I’m older by a couple of months so be respectful.”

She scoffed and directed her attention back to the book. I scrunched up my nose before resuming my work.

○●○●○

I fell on the bed Hoya was previously using, worn out for the cleaning I did. Apparently I didn’t know how to use a broom and had to be taught by Mrs. Lee how to do so. After learning how to use a broom, I was forced to mop the floor as well.

And my Mother asked me why I hated Mrs. Lee…

“Tired?” Woohyun asked me from across the room. I groaned before sitting up and shaking my head.

“Nah, I just hate cleaning.”

“Oh,” Woohyun said as he looked out the window. I raised an eyebrow and walked to the bag to get out a water bottle.

“I know you’re not in the best mood but can you get me some painkillers?” Woohyun asked cautiously.

“Why? Is something wrong?” I began getting worried. “Should I call the nurse?”

Woohyun chuckled, “Don’t worry, I just need some painkillers. Tell Mrs. Lee I ran out.”

I nodded my head slowly before going to the nurse’s office. Mrs. Lee knowingly gave me the painkillers and once again reminded me to help him swallow the pill. So, I got a glass of water for Woohyun. That would help him, right?

“Thanks, man,”

“No problem,” I looked around the room and was confused when I couldn’t see Hoya and Haneul.

“They went on a walk. They’re always together.”

“Oh,” I nodded.

“Do you find it weird?”

I shook my head, “Isn’t that what couples do?”

I looked down at him and was confused when burst out into laughter. I furrowed my eyebrows trying to think about something funny that just happened. I couldn’t recall making a joke nor had I done anything funny.

“What?”

“They’re not a couple,” he said still in a round of laughter.

“Oh…” I looked around awkwardly. I always thought they were considering how often they talked. Not to mention how much they smiled together. I mean, wouldn’t anybody think that?

Woohyun took a couple of deep breaths before regaining his composure, “Oh God that was funny. I can’t wait to tell the other guys.”

“No!” I shot my hand out.

“No what?” Hoya asked. My eyes widened and I looked back at Woohyun who had a mischievous look in his eyes.

“Well Sehun here…” He went on.

“Wants to take you guys shopping,” I blurted. “You like clothes, right?”

“I don’t like shopping but Haneul does,” Hoya said as he walked back to his bed. Haneul sent Hoya a glare and lightly brought up her fist in an attempt to scare him.

“Great, I’ll take you then. How about next week? That would be great, right?” I asked in an effort to change the topic. “I just need to check you out so I’ll ask Mrs. Lee later on.”

“Um, okay,” Haneul said before walking back to her bed while scratching her head.

“Great!” I said while putting on a tight smile.

I hated shopping.

○●○●○

“No sandwiches today, sorry,” I said to the Grandpa who claimed he really wanted a sandwich. They asked me to hand out granola bars and I noticed that they weren’t being favoured amongst the adults very much.

“Maybe tomorrow,” He smiled. I nodded my head and walked out of the room.

“Sehun! Your phone has been ringing a lot so I brought it for you,” Haneul waved my phone in the air.

I fumbled with the granola bars and tried to get them all in one hand; it didn’t work. I managed to almost drop them but Haneul saved the falling ones.

“Thanks,” I said lightly. She smiled at me and handed me the phone. I found 20 missed calls that were all from the guys and a couple of texts as well.

The first one—from Kai—read: Sehun! We haven’t hung out in like 3 weeks. We’re going to the mall, come with us.

He was right. I hadn’t hung out with my friends in a while now—aside from school that it. But school is no fun.

I decided to call Kai and asked him to pick me up before they went.

“Guys, I’m going to leave early today. Tell Mrs. Lee something came up,” I said as I packed my bag. I waved quickly before walking out of the hospital and hopping into Kris’ car.

○●○●○

“Do I look good?” Baekhyun asked as he brought a jacket up to himself.

“Are you a girl? Why are you looking at clothes like girls do? What are we even doing in here!?” D.O groaned.

“I want to shop!” Baekhyun said as he reluctantly put the jacket away.

“I thought it looked good,” I shrugged.

“See, this is why I think D.O is the one who should have to work in the hospital,” Baekhyun said.

We all laughed—besides D.O of course. He chased Baekhyun out of the store and screamed a bunch of incoherent words.

“Let’s go get them,” Suho sighed.

I smiled before following the guys out of the store. I took a quick glance around the mall when a flower shop caught my attention. It was quite colourful and better than others that I have seen. I assumed it sold nicer flowers that came with a higher price.

I was about to continue walking but something caught my attention; my Father. I squinted my eyes and found him purchasing a bouquet of flowers. They were neatly wrapped up and the bouquet consisted of multiple shades of purple.

Why would a man buy flowers? To impress a woman of course. It all made sense to me then. The reason he came to our house was because he felt bad towards Sun Hi and I since he was moving on.

“New wife, eh?” I scoffed.

○●○●○

Entry #5

I hate flowers, especially purple ones.


Phew, that was a long chapter :P Was it okay?

Do you guys find it odd that Sehun is interacting with Infinite? It's sort of random, yea?

I hope it works well x.x

Have a good day/night! :)