16

The Caretaker's Story

Did you guys all see Infinite's comeback teaser!? It was amazing. I loved it! I felt like it defined Infinite well :P Anyway, I'm super excited for their comeback although I wish they had a chance to rest.

Have a great day/night ! :)


“Good morning,” I greeted.

Everybody looked up at me and I swore they looked surprised. I looked around awkwardly before turning to the fridge to take out something for breakfast. My Father told me not to bother to look for anything; he brought breakfast for us from a café nearby.

“Thank you,” I said as I sat down at the dining table. Once again, everybody was quite surprised and I could understand why: my sudden manners. I personally never thought I was disrespectful. I just didn’t spoke much.

“Oppa,” Sun Hi sang. She walked over to my chair and handed me a folded piece of paper. “Give this to Princess Sunggyu.”

I raised my eyebrows and was about to open the paper but Sun Hi stopped me.

“That’s not for you, Oppa!”

I raised my hands in surrender and put the paper away in my bag, “I’m sorry.”

Sun Hi skipped back to her colouring book and resumed with her art. I turned my attention to my breakfast and ate as fast as possible.

There was an awkward air lingering around the dining table and it was definitely because of me. I usually ate standing up and would have left by now claiming that I didn’t want to be late.

I was always early, though.

“Are you going to stay with Sun Hi afterschool today?” My Mother asked my Father.

He thought for a moment and then shook his head, “I can only pick her up since I have a meeting tonight.”

My Mother sighed while putting her fork down, “My Friend is still sick. What do I do with Sun Hi? She won’t stay put at my office.”

“I’ll take care of her,” I offered.

The two looked at me in surprise. I shrugged my shoulders when they both began questioning me regarding whether I would really take her.

“She doesn’t bother me there. Nobody minds.”

I lied. Mrs. Lee told me clearly last time to not bring Sun Hi to the hospital.

“Yay! Another trip to the hospital!” Sun Hi sang as she got her stuff ready for school.

○●○●○

After awkwardly eating my breakfast, I left for school. I missed the bus I normally take and wasn’t in the mood to wait for the next one to come so I decided to walk to school. I got out of my neighbourhood pretty quickly and ended up in Chanyeol’s.

I hadn’t seen the guys for a while nor had I heard a word from them. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to hear from them anyway.

I ended up on Chanyeol’s street as it was the easiest was to get to school. If I ever walked here, I would usually drop by at his house to see what he was up to and to drag him to school.

“What are you doing here?”

I looked away from the rock that I was kicking on the floor to see the curly haired boy himself.

“I decided to walk to school today.”

“That’s what I thought,” Chanyeol sighed before walking ahead.

I slowly walked behind him to match his pace. I didn’t want to stand next to him, unsure of whether he was going to act like Kai or not.

“I heard what happened with Kai and Baekhyun,” Chanyeol spoke.

I didn’t reply. I wondered what Kai and Baekhyun had told the guys. I was sure that it was Kai who made a much bigger deal about it but Baekhyun probably didn’t do much to aid me in the situation.

“You know, I think—,”

I cut Chanyeol off, knowing what he was going to say next, “I know, you think he’s right. Everybody does.”

Chanyeol stopped walking and I did as well, “Well, yea.”

We stood in silence as the warm wind blew around us. I didn’t expect Chanyeol to say anything as I had already heard enough from him. I watched a car go by and then another. The passengers stared at us oddly and I didn’t blame them.

“Chanyeol,” I heard a deep voice called.

I knew exactly who that was and was sure he didn’t want to see me. I brought my head back up and advanced forward to go past Chanyeol who was still standing there.

“Bye, Chanyeol,” I said quietly.

○●○●○

The day went by as any day would go. I had gotten many things that I normally wouldn’t do done today. I finally handed in those darn journals that my teacher had been waiting for.

“There quite late, Sehun,” My teacher said.

“I was born late,” I replied to her.

At lunch, I managed to finally find time to return Haneul’s book. Luckily, there was no late fine. Haneul would have killed me if I got a fine on her perfect library card. In order to make it back to school in time I had to run rather than go by bus as it had too many stops.

You owe me, Kim Haneul.

When I got back to school, it was homeroom meaning I sat around the guys I called my friends.

I felt a paper land on my desk, coming from D.O. I raised an eyebrow as I opened it. All it read was hi. I replied back with the same greeting and passed the paper back to him. I could feel the rest of the guys burning holes through my back. I believed they really didn’t have to act like that.

I received another note from D.O but this time it had much more writing on it: Exo. That’s our group name now. Kai thought of it.

I bit my lip to prevent myself from laughing. Exo? I thought the name was hilarious. But knowing full well that I wasn’t liked very much at the moment, I nodded my head and told him it was a good name. D.O smiled at me before putting his head down to sleep.

At one doesn’t hate me…

○●○●○

“Sehun!” Someone called me as I walked out of the school. I turned around and saw D.O jogging towards me with another note in his hand. He handed me the paper and told me to read it later on.

“Um, okay, I will,” I promised.

“D.O,” Kai called from behind us. I turned around a bit and made eye contact with him for a moment before looking away.

“Guess you better go now,” I said. D.O nodded his head and bid me goodbye before walking off to an impatient Kai.

I began walking the other way and towards the school gaits. My Dad’s car was waiting there for me with Sun Hi sticking her head out of the window.

I walked towards the car slowly, not anticipating being that close to my Father. Nonetheless, I opened the door and got in the car. I sat in the backseat, though.

“Yay, Oppa’s sitting with me!” Sun Hi stated the obvious. I patted her head and put her seatbelt back on for her. I asked her about her day at school and she told me what happened in great detail. I always thought Sun Hi would be a great writer. She never failed to create the perfect image for me.

“Sun Hi, are you excited to see Princes Sunggyu?” My Father asked.

Sun Hi nodded her head excitedly, “Yes, I want to play tea party with him!”

I shook my head and looked out the window. I realized I became accustomed to seeing the same shops and buildings every day on my way to the hospital. I wondered what I would be doing if I wasn’t here right now. Would I have been going out with my friends?

“Sehun, I’ll pick you up later on as well,” My Father said when we arrived at the hospital. I nodded my head and pulled Sun Hi out of the car. We waited for my Father to drive away so I could sneak Sun Hi in.

“We’re going to go in from the backdoor, okay?”

“Why? Why can’t we go from the front door?” Sun Hi asked innocently.

“It’s more fun that way, Sun Hi,” I fibbed once again. Sun Hi thankfully stopped asking more questions and just grabbed my hand as I guided her to the back. I knew there was a less chance of seeing Mrs. Lee back there since she spent most of her time at the front of the hospital. The other nurses weren’t much of a threat since they were much less strict.

We entered through the back door and I pulled Sun Hi into the closest elevator. We rode it up and then I cautiously looked around for Mrs. Lee on both sides of the hallway. I held Sun Hi close to me and guided her down the hallway.

Thankfully, we made it into the room without seeing Mrs. Lee. The guys lazily waved their hands at me but brightened up when they saw Sun Hi.

“Hey, you guys weren’t that excited to see me,” I complained, slightly offended.

“Because you’re not cute,” Haneul said as she hugged Sun Hi.

My mouth fell as I pulled Sun Hi’s face near mine, “You said she looked like me last time. That means I’m cute as well, right?”

Haneul raised an eyebrow before shaking her head, “Come on, Sun Hi. Let’s teach Sungyeol Oppa to colour inside the lines today.”

“Where’s Princess Sunggyu?” Sun Hi asked before doing anything else. I looked across at Sunggyu’s bed to find that he was sleeping.

“He’s sleeping right now, Sun Hi. Don’t bother him,” I said before walking over and taking some of the waste off the beds. Woohyun, like Sunggyu, was sleeping as well and for some reason, hugging a snack wrapper. I tried to pull it out of his hand but he refused to let go. I was astonished at the tight grip he had in his sleep so I let him be and moved on to the next bed.

○●○●○

I felt someone pull on my shirt.

“Oppa, I need to use the washroom,” Sun Hi stated. I nodded my head and took her hand.

“We’ll be back,” I announced to the mostly asleep group. The only people who were awake were Myungsoo and Dongwoo.

The washroom was halfway down the hall which made it easier for me to sneak Sun Hi around. I hadn’t heard of Mrs. Lee all day. It was almost as if she left the hospital.

Oh how I wished that actually would happen.

I stood outside of the girl’s washroom waiting for Sun Hi. She came back out quickly since she always had a fear of washrooms. I took her hand again and we began walking back towards the room.

“Sun Hi, Oppa is going—,” I stopped speaking when I felt a hand on my shoulder. And then I completely froze when I heard the female speak.

“Sehun.”