13

The Caretaker's Story

 

We walked out of the mall without saying a word. Haneul got on the bus first and took a seat with me following. I couldn’t help but thinking back to what Kai said. He had always been the type to say whatever was on his mind so I knew he wasn’t lying with what he said.

I guess I was a bit worried that I was losing my childhood friends over the stupid hospital. Despite this, I recognized that it was my fault for stealing stuff.

I sighed as I slouched down in my seat. Haneul looked over at me and took the shopping bags away from my hands.

“I can hold them. Thanks for keeping care of them throughout the day,” She smiled.

I nodded my head before turning away and staring at the signs on the bus.

○●○●○

“I can go myself from here. Thank you, Sehun,” Haneul said as she stood on the steps of the hospital. I took my phone out to check the time and found out it was only four o’clock. I still had a couple of hours to stay in the hospital.

“Let’s go in.”

I walked ahead and held the elevator door open for Haneul after signing her back in. When we got back to the room, all the guys were up and energetic, much different from the quiet air that was between Haneul and I on our way here.

“Hey, guys!” Sungjong greeted first. Haneul replied with a wave before excusing herself to change back into her hospital clothes and get her checkup done.

I walked over to the empty bed beside Haneul’s and threw my bag on it. After doing that, I rolled up my sleeves and bent down to grab the bucket of cleaning supplies from under my bed.

“Sehun, are you okay?” Sunggyu asked me. “You never clean unless Mrs. Lee forces you to.”

I nodded my head and resumed with my work.

“I’m cleaning out the dust from the blinds so you guys should go to another room,” I advised.

They all agreed and soon, I was the only one left in the room. I sighed before focusing on the blinds again. I stood on a small ladder and cleaned them with ease.

Soon, I was on the other side of the room and cleaning the last column. I began with the top and swiped the wet rag across before using a dry one. As I was doing this, something caught my attention. There were a couple of guys playing soccer outside.

I tried to ignore the game but it seemed quite intense and I just couldn’t stop watching. I watched the guy with the jersey that said two run from one side and through the opposing team. He kicked the ball through someone’s legs and easily advanced forward. His moves were perfect.

“Shoot,” I whispered as I saw this to be the perfect opportunity.

As if he heard me, he kicked right at that moment and like I predicted, it went in the net.

“Yea!” I cheered.

He ran to his teammate and the two hugged while jumping up and down. It reminded me of how Kai and I would rejoice after I scored a goal. When we played together as children, Kai would run straight up to me and hug me with all his force.

Kai. I sighed as I dropped the rag and got of the ladder.

“Look at me remembering past times with him,” I muttered.

○●○●○

“Sehun!” My Mother called from downstairs.

I rubbed my eyes as I got out of bed. I looked at the clock to see that it was only nine o’clock. I would usually wake up at ten o’clock on Sundays to be at the hospital for eleven.

“Mmhmm?” I questioned as I walked down the stairs, still sleepy.

“I need you to take Sun Hi with you to the hospital today. I have an emergency meeting.”

“Why?”

“Jiyeon’s sick so I don’t want to leave Sun Hi at her house and there’s nobody else to take care of her.”

I thought of my Father but didn’t dare give him as an option. I didn’t want Sun Hi to spend any extra time with him.

I sighed before saying, “Fine.”

“Thanks, Sehun. I’ll pick you guys up at six, alright?” She said as she ran out of the home.

“Bye, Mommy!” Sun Hi yelled out from the living room.

I stood in front of the stairs with my hair all over the place and a confused expression on my face. How was I going to take care of Sun Hi? After yawning and running my hand through my hair, I walked over to the living room and picked Sun Hi up off the couch.

“Did you have breakfast?”

“Yes, Oppa.”

“Okay, let’s get you dressed then,” I said as I carried her up the stairs. “You’re coming to the hospital with me today.”

“Really!? Wow! I can’t wait,” Sun Hi clapped her hands. “Hurry up, Oppa. You’re taking too long to climb up the stairs!”

I laughed a bit before running up the steps. I dropped her on her bed and opened up her closet, “What do you want to wear?”

“Pretty clothes!”

What exactly would be considered pretty for a little girl?

○●○●○

“Run, Sun Hi! The bus is about to leave,” I said as I grabbed Sun Hi’s arm and pulled her along to the bus stop. We made it just in time and took a seat as we panted.

“Oppa, how many people are in the hospital?”

“A lot.”

“Are we going to see all of them?” She asked.

“Nope, we’re going to spend time with seven Oppas and one Unnie,” I said as I thought of the guys. I wondered how they would feel about Sun Hi. Were they interested in children?

“Unnie? A girl? I can’t wait to meet her!” Sun Hi exclaimed as she clapped her hands. I laughed and patter her head.

○●○●○

“Sun Hi you can’t make too much noise, alright? And don’t bother the patients either. Oh and you can’t leave unless you ask me,” I told Sun Hi as we walked hand in hand into the hospital. Sun Hi nodded her head and jumped up a bit.

I could tell that she was quite excited since she didn’t leave the home as much as she would like to. I was just scared that she would do something bad. Mrs. Lee would not approve of that.

“Oppa why are we going in the elevator?”

“Because the room I go to is on the third floor.”

The elevator door opened and there stood Mrs. Lee looking at a clipboard. I said good morning to her and bowed a little, pushing Sun Hi’s head down to bow in the process.

“Is this your sister?” She asked. I nodded my head and explained to her why she was here today. Mrs. Lee seemed a bit uneasy about her presence but I promised her that she wouldn’t do anything bad.

I brought Sun Hi down the hall and opened the door to the room I visit every day, “Hey, guys.”

All the guys said hi but their attention was on the little girl hiding behind me. Sun Hi all of a sudden got shy and used me as a shield from all the attention.

“Who’s that?” Woohyun asked. “Your sister?”

“This is Sun Hi. Yes, my sister.”

“Oh my goodness, you’re adorable.” Haneul squealed as she came closer and bent down to be at eyelevel with Sun Hi.

“I’m Haneul Unnie,” She extended her hand out.

I looked down at Sun Hi and pushed her forward a bit, “Sun Hi, say hi. You were excited just a few moments ago.”

“Hello,” Sun Hi said in a quiet voice as she brought her hand out slowly to meet Haneul’s.

I smiled a bit before letting go of Sun Hi’s left hand and going to the bed that everybody knew was mine. I put my bag on it and took out Sun Hi’s colouring book.

“Sun Hi, colour in this,” I said as I waved the book in the air.

“I’ll colour with you!” Hoya exclaimed from the other side of the room.

“Me too!” Dongwoo yelled as he joined the excited Hoya. I watched the two enthusiastically pick out the colours they were going to use. They asked Sun Hi for permission to rip out pieces from the book and began colouring. Sun Hi hesitantly sat down next to them on the bed and began colouring the princess. Haneul helped Sun Hi while the rest of the guys criticized Hoya and Dongwoo’s lacking artistic skills.

I was happy that they were treating Sun Hi well. They were really a great group of people.

I looked around and decided to take the leftover breakfast plates off the tables and bring them back to the kitchen.

“Sun Hi, I’ll be right back. Don’t do anything bad, okay?” I said as I was about to leave the room. I waited for a reply but didn’t get one. A bit confused, I turned around to see her explaining how to colour inside the lines. Sungyeol watched in awe and called her the art master. I laughed a bit before leaving the room knowing that she was in good hands.

○●○●○

I walked out of the cafeteria and proceeded to go down the hallway. I turned the corner but a carton of milk blocked my way.

“We should talk, Sehun.”


A special thanks to Kenzie8590 for giving me the idea about brining Sun Hi to the hospital with Sehun. It helped me out with planning the next few chapters a lot ^^ Thank you! Thank you to those who give me feedback as well!

Have a great day all :)