26

The Caretaker's Story

 

I felt light like a feather and weightless like a man with no worries. I walked around freely without a care for the world—though I never really did care. But this felt different; this felt right. I could look at everything in a new and positive light which just made living a whole lot better. But what scared me, though, was that this could change quite easily and quickly.

And it was all out of my control.

○●○●○

“Are you coming tonight?”

“Mm, probably not. Practise starts at four thirty.”

“Oh.”

“Yea,” I paused. “But I’ll come tomorrow.”

“See you then.”

I touched the red button on my phone and put it away in my pocket. Haneul decided to call me today to let me know she got a new cellphone. Apparently this one had much more functions than her old one and she couldn’t wait to show me it. I would talk to one of the guys from the hospital at lunch and on the way to soccer practise. That may be why there was a great increase in my phone bill.

My Mother didn’t mind the increase, though. She was fine with me talking to the guys since she approved of them very much. It may also be because she seemed happier lately. I guess I had one thing to thank my Dad for after all the pain he caused her.

“Soccer practise?” The same Grandpa asked me when I got on the bus. I nodded my head at him and he smiled before getting off.

We would meet on the bus for a split second every day and within that time he would always ask where I was going that day. Sometimes it would be the hospital, other times soccer practise, but very rarely was it home. Getting home early was a long forgotten memory that I seemed to never have time to recall. But that was okay with me; all was good.

○●○●○

“Okay, we’ll start off with stretches,” My coach yelled. “Do them alone for now.”

I obliged and went farther away on the field to start my stretches. Remembering everything Haneul told me, I managed to finally balance correctly for the first time. I made a mental note to go show her later on.

“How’d you do that? Man, I never could.”

I looked up to the source of the voice to see another player on the team. He had black hair and a sharp jawline. I noticed that his eyes were quite a dark colour and he had a shorter stature than I.

“Someone taught me,” I told him.

“Care to teach me?” He asked with a smile. “I’m Chen by the way.”

“Sure, why not?” I said. “I’m Sehun.”

“I know,” He laughed as he turned around to get into the correct position.

I put his arms up the same way that Haneul did and told him to raise his legs. After a couple of tries, Chen managed to get the correct position. I was surprised and a bit jealous that he mastered it so quickly.

“How do you know my name is Sehun?” I asked as we walked back.

“We all know you.”

I wasn’t sure of whether that was a good thing or not.

○●○●○

“Two laps, now!” The coach yelled from the bleachers.

We all nodded our heads and began running right away. Two laps were not very hard to complete. Rather, they were energizing.

I ran beside Chen who would make jokes every once in a while. After talking to him for a while, I found out that he was a somewhat troublemaker. I caught him moving some pylons to make getting the soccer ball in the net more difficult for the other players. He even mocked our coach numerous times. But he was funny, so I decided to continue associating with him.

Nobody else talked to me all that much which I assumed was because I was new in a way. I didn’t take it to heart and just tried to give them a good impression.

We all got back to the start and proudly told our coach that we completed the laps quickly. He only smirked and told us to run two more laps. But, again, that wasn’t hard.

○●○●○

It wasn’t until the fifteenth lap that I got tired. My throat was beginning to get dry and my legs burned. When we finished the final lap, we all collapsed only to be kicked up once again. Our coach gave us one minute to get water and dry off our sweat. I drank from my water bottle gratefully as I thought about what torture was up next.

“I forgot how hard running was,” Chen groaned as he sat next to me.

“So did I,” I grunted. “It’s been forever since I’ve ran.”

Chen chuckled,” Hey, but you’re pretty good. I remember the first day I ran fifteen laps, I was a mess by the eighth.”

I laughed and then we sat there waiting for the next orders. It turned out that we had to do push ups and sit ups. And that was how my night went by.

○●○●○

“Okay, kids, only three weeks left until Graduation!” My Teacher exclaimed. “It’s time to get all your invitation cards.”

She brought out a big cardboard in which I assumed there were the cards. She put her hands in the box and took out a stack of cards with envelopes under them. The cards were small cards and my teacher explained to us how they included the date and place for the event.

“We’ve rented out an entire stadium so you may bring as many people as you wish. It would be great if you brought more than five, okay?”

I thought about who I was going to take. I would need three cards for my family, of course. That was when my mind went to the guys at the hospital. That would be eight extra tickets which would make eleven in total. I my lips and thought about how it may look odd bringing that many people.

“Sehun,” My teacher called. “Come up and get your cards.”

I bit my bottom lip and waited a bit before getting up and going to the teacher’s desk. Even at her desk, I was still a bit confused about how many cards I wanted. Bringing the guys out would make them happy and I knew I owed Haneul a lot for tutoring me. She helped bring my marks up and I definitely needed her for the final exams which were coming up in two weeks.

“Sehun, How many?”

I took a deep breath, “Eleven.”

○●○●○

“Guess what I can do,” I whispered in her ear.

Haneul let out a yelp and jumped away from me. I walked into the hospital that day and found Haneul staring out the window. Instead of calling out to her, I decided to scare her instead just because she was fun to tease.

“Gosh, Sehun, don’t do that!” She hit my chest.

I stumbled backwards, took my right hand and put it on my chest, “Gosh, Haneul, that hurt!”

She scoffed, “No it didn’t.”

“And how would you know?” I leaned in.

She nudged me in the stomach this time, “I know everything, Sehun.”

“Okay then, what is it that I can do now?” I questioned.

I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against the window while Haneul rested her arms on the railing in front of the glass.

“Umm, eat yourself?” She smiled. “Aw, our little Sehun has grown up.”

I gave her a look before pushing her forehead back, “I could eat by myself a long time ago.”

Haneul laughed before turning around and pulling on my arm. We began walking back to the room and soon, I was sitting on my bed with everyone else on theirs. To my luck, they were all awake and hungry.

“Pizza!” Sungjong suggested when I asked them what they wanted to eat.

I sighed before shaking my head, “You know what? I’ll just go pick out what I think is best. Just wait here, guys.”

“I’ll come,” Myungsoo said as he got off his bed.

We walked side by side to the cafeteria and talked about whatever came to mind. Halfway through our walk, Ms. Choi stopped us. She asked where we were going and once she got the answer she wanted, she let us go.

“Not the soup again, Sehun,” Myungsoo groaned as I picked out the dishes with soup in them.

“Why not? This soup looks good,” I said as I looked at the oddly coloured soup. “Sort of.”

Myungsoo scoffed before picking up some rice for himself and taking a couple extras for the guys. We got the drinks and then went back to the room. The guys weren’t all that grateful at what I brought but ate anyway.

“How’s soccer going?” Woohyun asked.

I groaned as I mopped the floor, “I ran fifteen laps yesterday along with a whole bunch of other exercises. It was so tiring.”

“Good Job, Sehun,” Woohyun nodded.

He reminded me of a Father that looked over his son’s work and only gave little remarks. Woohyun would always make sure to ask about soccer but only said so little about it. He would nod his head and then ask me about school. That was when Haneul would come in the picture and we would start talking amongst the three of us.

“Speaking of school, when is your graduation, Sehun?” Hoya asked.

“In three weeks,” I thought back to the cards in my bag.

“Sounds exciting,” Haneul sighed. “I don’t get to attend my graduation.”

I bit my lip and thought about the whether or not I should give the cards out. Looking around the room, they all seemed pretty excited for me. I wondered how excited they would get if they could come with me. I was sure my parents wouldn’t mind either.

But for some reason, I became shy. I was afraid that they would find it odd that I was inviting them to my graduation and would just laugh at the idea.

But the idea of only having one chance entered my mind and so I walked over to my bag and took out the eight envelopes, “Hey, guys, want to come to my graduation? I happen to have eight cards.”


oho, look at me writing my little (or long) notes at the end. Hi! It's been a while since I updated :P Well, I can blame school for that T_T

So, did you guys see Infinite's new music video!? Oh my goodness, it's the cutest thing ever. I love this comeback so much! Just in case you missed it, click here for the music video. I love the song, the concept and Myungsoo's curly hair! I actually love how everybody looks; as per usual.

But I have to admit, Sunggyu took the spotlight for me with this comeback. I'm not sure why, but I was more inclined to watching him :P My favourite song off the album is inconvenient truth along with man in love. So, check that out guys~!

Have a good day/night! ^^ and don't forget to comment, subscribe and all that other great stuff~ (: