29

The Caretaker's Story

The air above us was all of a sudden filled with black caps flying around randomly. I managed to catch mine successfully and was happy that I hadn’t lost it in the crowd. The graduation ceremony was over and we now had the chance to take pictures with our friends and family.

My Mother came running up to me and gave me a big hug. I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a light squeeze. She pulled back and left a splotchy kiss on my cheek which I wiped off with my hand.

Next, my Father came up to me and shook my hand. He gave me a warm smile and told me that he was proud of my accomplishments. Sun Hi interrupted our little conversation and hugged my legs causing me to nearly stumble over. I bent down to pick Sun Hi up and swing her around in my arms. She let out a small giggle and held onto my neck tightly.

“Sehun!” Dongwoo yelled.

I put Sun Hi down and looked at the eight people standing in front of me. Sun Hi ran to my parents who walked off to the snacks provided.

“Congrats!” Sunggyu said as he threw his hands up. He came up to me and gave me a hug while patting my back. I laughed a bit and hugged him back. “Thank you, Sunggyu.”

Then they came, one by one, to congratulate me. Sungyeol gave me a very tight hug whereas Myungsoo gave me a comfortable hug. Dongwoo decided to make an interesting handshake with me which preceded a nice hug from him. Hoya handed me a bag in which he said there was a present from him. The rest of the guys complained that he was just trying to become my favourite. Nonetheless, I graciously took the present and said I’d open it later on. Sungjong was the second last one of the guys.

“Congratulations, Sehun.”

“Thanks, Sungjong.”

“You should wear tuxedos more often. They suit you,” He pointed out.

I looked down at the black blazer and white shirt, “Really? Thanks, I guess.”

After Sungjong, Woohyun appeared and tackled me with a great big hug. He patted my back numerous time and I had a feeling he purposely hit me harder than a normal pat. Woohyun pulled back and put his hands on my shoulders.

“You’re a free man now, Sehun!”

I raised my eyebrows, “Woohyun, I just graduated from high school.”

“You’re free from teachers lecturing you and pestering you do to homework,” Woohyun shrugged.

I chuckled and patted his shoulder, “You’re right my friend.”

I heard somebody call me so I turned around and saw an old friend waving from afar. I waved back at him and was about to go up to him but he was stopped by a teacher. I shrugged my shoulders and turned back to the guys expecting so see Haneul who had still not congratulated me. But, all I saw were the guys running of to get snacks and Haneul staring out into space aimlessly.

I walked up to her and bent down to her ear, “Don’t you think you forgot something?”

She let out a small yelp and jolted back into reality, “Sehun, I told you not to do that anymore!”

I shrugged, “I refused to listen.”

“Tch, well then I refuse to congratulate you,” She folded her arms over her chest and held her chin up high.

“Oh but you have to my dear tutor.”

“No, I don’t,” She turned around to walk away. I refused to let her go and just pulled her back to me. She stumbled slightly—which I assumed was because she was wearing very high heels—and so I caught her in my chest.

“You’re so clumsy,” I whispered.

She removed my arm from her shoulder and pushed herself back up using one of her heels. Once fully on her feet, she blew her bangs away, “It’s because of these heels! I rarely wear heels because I’m always in the hospital so it’s quite hard becoming adjusted to them.”

“Then why did you wear them today?” I exclaimed, baffled.

Haneul shrugged, “Because.”

“Well?” I asked, beginning to get impatient. I was more than ready to be acknowledged by Haneul for my achievements. I wanted to hear that she was proud of me.

“What?” She asked with a playful smile.

“Haneul!” I whined. “Just say congratulations!”

She laughed before leaning up and wrapping her arms around my neck to give me a hug, “But everybody says congratulations. There’s nothing special about it.”

I was about to reply but D.O came out of nowhere and whistled. Haneul immediately jumped back and stood in front of me looking down timidly. I glared at D.O who only winked and pulled out Suho from a crowd near us.

“Sorry if I disturbed something,” He said, feigning innocence.

I sighed but put my arm around Haneul and turned her around so she was facing the two guys, “This is Haneul. Haneul, this is Suho and that’s D.O.”

Haneul waved slightly and smiled while D.O moved forward to shake her hand. Suho just smiled and introduced himself like the nice person he is. We began talking a bit about the graduation ceremony and about what we were doing for the rest of the day. My parents decided to take the guys and I out for dinner and everybody was very excited.

“I’m going to go get some food,” Haneul said before excusing herself.

I watched her walk away and turned my attention back to my friends to continue our conversation. But instead of paying attention to Suho, my eyes wandered to this elderly man who was walking to the snacks table. He was waving at a classmate of mine when he tripped over a camera bag which was loosely placed on the ground. To save himself from falling on the floor, he grabbed onto somebody who was close to him and that person ended up dropping their camera.

“My camera!” The young lady exclaimed as she bent down to grab the broken electronic. She harshly let go of the man causing him to loose balance again. I quickly moved forward and grabbed him so he didn’t fall.

The lady turned around, “Are you blind?” She shrieked.

“I’m sorry,” The elderly man apologized.

“Look what you did! You broke my camera!” The lady said as she bent down to grab the camera bag.

“I’m sorry,” The man repeated.

“God, can’t you see where you’re going?” She continued to pester him.

I grew angrier by the second. How could she blame him when it was clearly her fault? I steadied the man and told him that I would take care of the situation. I walked up to the lady and put my hand on hers to stop her from putting the camera away.

She looked up at me, “Yes?”

“You do realize that your camera bag was on the ground, right?” I asked. She nodded to which I smirked.

“I hope you also realize that anybody—yes, including you—can trip over something which is lazily placed on the ground. So, please do tell me why you are yelling at this poor man.”

“He could have looked where he was going. God, he’s so old, what’s he doing here anyway?”

My grip on her hand tightened, “What are you doing here? You’re creating a public hazard and being a nuisance to everybody. He’s here to cheer on his granddaughter and that has nothing to do with his age. So the real problem here is you. You left the bag on the floor and left it unattended. Anybody can trip over that. But aside from that, you chose to push him away when he was holding on to you for support. Quite rude, don’t you think? Apologize.”

She looked away, defeated. She turned to the man and muttered a quick apology before grabbing her stuff and walking away.

“Are you okay, Sir?”

“Yes, thank you! You’re such a kind young man. Your parents are lucky to have you,” He said as he patted my shoulder.

I bent down to prevent him from stretching too much, “No worries.”

“Sehun! Thank you so much,” Min Hi, my classmate, said. “Come on, Grandpa.”

I watched her as she led her Grandfather away before turning back to my friends. Suho and D.O had shocked looks on their faces which I had expected. I had never acted like this around them before. That was when I realized that everybody was staring at me oddly. The atmosphere became quite awkward so I just dragged Suho and D.O with me to the snacks table. We grabbed a drink and went to a wall to lean against it.

“Sehun, you sure have grown up,” Suho remarked.

I let out a laugh, “I guess.”

“But you will never stop saying I guess,” D.O included.

“I won’t,” I agreed.

“Your friends are quite interesting,” D.O nodded his head towards the guys.

They were standing around with small snacks in their hands. I made a mental note to go ask them what they ate just in case they in took something they shouldn’t have. I shook my head at my thoughtfulness. They were making jokes with each other and seemed to be catching the attention of many girls. Little did the girls know that these men spent their life in the hospital. Haneul stayed close to Woohyun and the two talked to each other the entire time. A bit of jealousy erupted within me but I kept reminding myself that I shouldn’t feel this way.

“Those two seem quite close,” Suho said. “The girl and the guy next to her, I mean.”

I grimaced a bit, “Yea, they have a history.”

“I can tell,” Suho said. “Just look at the way they look at each other. There’s more to their eye contact you know. They have a long story which is not done just yet. The guys stares at her longingly and the girl uneasily.”

I sighed, knowing that what Suho said was true.

“But you know what, Sehun?” Suho asked. “You look at her with the same eyes as that guy.”

“This is some deep you’ve gotten yourself into, Sehun,” D.O said as he patted my back.


Hi! I will end off this chapter with a message (?) for you all. You could also call it a rant :P Anyhow, so today I was at a restaurant and there was a lady who left her son to wait at the table. So, she went to go order (by the way, this is a fast food restaurant we're talking about) but when she turned around, there was this elderly man sitting at the table. Her son didn't tell him to move and I'm sure that the man (who was definitely over 50) didn't notice. So, she walked up to him and rudely said, "Hey, don't you see the boy sitting over there!?"

The poor old man was so scared and it broke my heart. Anyhow, I thought that was really rude. There are two words that she should have used: Please and Thank You. She could have easily said, "Sir, can you please sit at another table? Thank you." It's quite sad that she had to resort to yelling. What a disturbance to everybody there. Also, I'm sure he just made a mistake since this is an elderly man. God, that's just so inconsiderate.

Anyway, I trust that my lovely subbies wouldn't do something like that!

Have a great day/night! Don't yell at people for no reason and make sure to comment :)