3

The Caretaker's Story

In they came, one by one, with nurses behind them. The first to come in had dark brown hair that fell over his eyes lightly. He walked to the bed in the middle of the wall with the windows and sat down. Following him, was a man who looked about his age with blondish hair. He looked sort of foreign. He went to the bed next to the first guy’s.

Afterwards, two guys came in side by side, both with brown hair. One’s was neatly brushed and the other’s was a bit messy. The one with the neat hair and the skinny nose went on the bed next to the first guy and the one with the messy hair went to the bed next to the second guy’s.

They covered all the beds on the side that the windows were which left 3 beds each on the remaining two walls.

“Ah, this room is so big! Much better than my last room,” a tall one with very chubby cheeks exclaimed. He ran up to a bed and jumped on it in content. Following him was a boy with black hair and sharp eyes and lastly, a skinny boy with unimaginably clear skin.

“Great! You guys are all here. My name is Lee Younhee and you may call me Mrs. Lee. I will be the nurse to take care of you guys. I’ll come in here every once in a while, but while I’m gone, Sehun will stay with you. Say hi, Sehun.”

Everybody turned to look at me and I my lips before giving a quick introduction, “Um, hi. I’m Oh Sehun.”

“Oh? That’s an interesting last name. I like it a lot!” The same boy with the chubby cheeks exclaimed. I nodded my head lightly, not understanding what was so interesting about my last name.

“I’m Lee Sungyeol, nice to meet you!” He waved. I nodded again and diverted my attention to the patient lying on the middle bed between the three.

“I’m Kim Myungsoo,” He said with a small smile.

“I’m Lee Sungjong,” The boy next to him said with a happy smile.

I nodded my head and tried to remember their names. Kim Sungyeol, was it?

“I’m Jang Dongwoo!”

“Lee Howon, but call me Hoya.”

“Kim Sunggyu.”

“Nam Woohyun.”

“There’s so many of you so I’m sure it will take Sehun some time to remember your names,” Mrs. Younhee said.

Yes, it will.

“Well, I’ll leave you guys alone for now. Lunch will be served in an hour. Sehun, I expect you to be in the cafeteria in 30 minutes. You can sit here for now.”

○●○●○

“So what are you doing here?” The one who came in first—Sunggyu, I think—asked.

“Yea, you don’t look like the other volunteers,” The one on the bed next to him said as he sat up.

“I don’t know, the nurse sent me here,” I shrugged.

“He wants to know why you are at the hospital in the first place,” Sungyeol said.

I looked at the floor thinking of the most appropriate answer. Would it be okay to tell them that I got caught stealing? I formulated multiple responses in my head, but none seemed fit.

“My Mom made me do some volunteer work.”

“Oh, that’s a bummer, I guess,” Sungyeol replied. I nodded my head before taking out my phone to check the time. About thirty minutes had passed so I decided to go to the cafeteria.

“I’m going to go now, see you later.”

I heard a round of goodbyes as I left the room and walked down the white hallways. There were a couple of kids on wheelchairs that rolled past me and even a baby that ran through my legs.

○●○●○

The cafeteria was empty when I entered and that left me to awkwardly look around for Mrs. Lee. She was nowhere to be found so I just sat on one of the tables. I puffed my cheeks while texting Suho to let him know that I hadn’t caused any trouble.

“Are you a patient?” I heard someone ask. I diverted my attention from the phone and looked up to meet eyes with a girl.

“Hm?” She asked again so I shook my head.

She looked about my age except on the shorter side. Her bangs covered her forehead completely and her light brown hair went past her shoulders in beautiful waves. I liked wavy hair.

“So, what are you doing here?” She asked with curious eyes.

I ignored her question and asked her if she knew where Mrs. Lee was.

“Yep, she’s in the kitchen with everybody else. Come on, I’ll take you!” She cheerfully invited.

I stood up and tucked my hands in my pockets before following her. The kitchen at the back looked much better than I thought it would. I had no history in cooking, but I could tell that all the utensils were new. I heard a couple of shouts to hurry up since it was almost lunch time and I almost bumped into someone carrying a tray of sandwiches.

“Oh, Sehun, you’re here! I was just about to get you,” Mrs. Lee said. “I would stay here and explain what you have to do but I have to go help with a surgery. Um, I’ll get someone else—”

“I’ll help him!” The girl spoke up again. I looked down at her small body and raised my eyebrows. Who exactly is this girl?

“Ah, really? Thank you so much!” Mrs. Lee said as she rushed out of the room without even a goodbye.

“Come on, we’re going to help outside,” She said as she led me back out the doors. We went to the serving area that had multiple dishes placed in the serving bowls. They were covered with lids but there were signs in front of them stating what was inside.

“Today, there are turkey sandwiches and vegetable sandwiches along with two types of stew. You don’t have to worry about the stew since I’ll be serving that. You can just give them the sandwiches,” She said while putting on gloves and an apron.

“Can’t they get the sandwiches themselves?” I asked, trying to sound as nice as possible.

“What do you mean?”

“How hard is it to grab sandwiches?” I murmured.

“How hard is it to give sandwiches?” I heard her murmur back. I sighed before standing in front of the sandwiches and preparing myself for the people about to come.

“Your gloves and apron?” The girl asked while giving me the two. I raised my eyebrows, there was no way I was going to wear an apron. I took the gloves and put them on before turning back to the sandwiches.

“You might get something on your clothes, just warning you.”

As if.

○●○●○

“What type of sandwiches, son?”  An elderly patient asked me.

I sighed as I thought about the signs placed for the patients that were being completely neglected.

“Turkey and Vegetable.”

“Ah, well give me a veggie one. Thank you,” The man said as he took the sandwich from my hands.

“Hey, look who it is!” I heard that cheerful voice again. I sighed before looking up at Sungyeol who wore a bright smile that took up his entire face. He waved slightly to me and Myungsoo came to stand next to him.

“What type of sandwiches are those?” Sungyeol asked.

I gritted my teeth, “Turkey and Vegetable.”

“Can’t you see on the sign? You dummy,” Myungsoo said as he lightly hit Sungyeol’s forehead. Finally, somebody noticed the sign.

“Oh, hehe,” He shrugged before asking for a turkey sandwich. I gave it to him along with one for Myungsoo who gave a smile in response. This Myungsoo guy didn’t seem so bad.

“Veggie please,” The one who I think is Dongwoo asked. Behind him came the one with thick eyebrows and a buff chest and he asked for the same.

“Hi Hoya!” The girl who brought me to this torturous station beamed. I saw them talking and laughing from the corner of my eye. So, did all the teenagers here know each other?

I turned my attention back to the food and gritted my teeth through every question about the type of sandwich being served today. If this was going to be a regular happening, I definitely wasn’t looking forward to this.

○●○●○

 “Here’s your plate.”

I nodded my head and went to a table near the back after taking my plate of lunch from the girl. It just hit me then, that I still didn’t know her name. It also made me wonder whether she was aware of my name or not.

All that didn’t matter, though.  I ate my food quickly as it was much more delicious than I ever thought it would be. After finishing, I left the plate on the table at the front and walked back to the room full of noisy guys.

“Look who’s back,” I heard Sungjong say as I walked inside. I smiled a bit and walked to the bed I was previously sitting at.

So, now what?

What exactly was I to do here? I highly doubted that these guys would actually need me. I mean, they looked perfectly fine. What exactly were they doing in the hospital? This was really just a waste of time.

“Hey, Sehun?” I heard Dongwoo call out. “Can you get me my medicine? It’s in the nurse’s office. Mrs. Lee told me to ask you to get it.”

I nodded my head and proceeded to the large office located to the right of the patient’s rooms. I walked in and knocked on Mrs. Lee’s door. After a couple of knocks, I assumed she wasn’t in there so I turned around to go back.

But the medicine…

I huffed knowing that getting the medicine was probably what I should do. I looked around for another nurse or even a doctor to help me. After a while of knocking on random doors, I came across a fairly young nurse. She took me to the medicine section and picked out the correct medicine for Dongwoo. It amazed me how she knew which one to pick considering the very large variety.

“Thanks, man!” Dongwoo said happily as he took the two tablets from my hand. I took out a water bottle from the fridge and passed it to him, allowing him to take the medicine easily.

“So Sehun, what do you like to do in your free time?” Sunggyu asked me while I put the water bottle back in the fridge after labelling it D for Dongwoo. The nurse told me to do all this while I was getting the medicine. This was a lot of work; a lot of work that I for one, didn’t want to do.

“Um, skateboard and just hang out, I guess?”

“Wow, really? I’ve always wanted to learn how to skateboard, seems like fun. When did you learn?” Myungsoo asked me while sitting up in his bed.

“When I was 10.”

“Cool!” Woohyun exclaimed.

I shrugged, “I guess.”

“Hey, do you know how to—”

Sungjong was cut off by the sound of the door opening. I turned around and saw Mrs. Lee come in with a girl; the girl from the kitchen to be exact.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Hoya asked with a smile.

“She will be staying with you guys. This side will be for her since I don’t think she wants to be in a bed next to a boy,” Mrs. Lee said as she pointed to the 3 empty beds against the remaining wall.

What was this girl doing in a room full of boys, anyway?

“This is Sehun,” Mrs. Lee pointed me out. “He will be helping you out with whatever you need. He will also clean up the room, so if you feel it’s dirty, then tell him.”

The girl looked up at me and smiled, “I guess we’ll be seeing more of each other now, right? I’m Haneul.”

And that was when we met.


Did anyone expect Infinite? :P I debated whether to include Exo-m or Infinite for a long time but in the end, I felt that Infinite would work better.

Remember to comment~ Comments mean a lot, really.

Have a good day/night all~