18

The Caretaker's Story

Her heels clicked on the floor and my eyes would follow their each step. She was fairly tall but not as tall as me; thankfully. Her hair was completely straight which was much different from Sun Hi’s perfect curly hair and Haneul’s wavy hair that flowed down her back.

 

When the new nurse asked to see me, everybody in the room snapped their head my way to see what I would do next. It was as if this new nurse was a new specimen that everybody was unsure of. I too felt that way, though.

I had no idea whether she would be more uptight than Mrs. Lee or whether she would be okay with Sun Hi coming to the hospital. The thought scared me.

“So you’re Sehun, yes?” She spoke.

“Yes,” I replied as we kept walking. Surprisingly, we walked past the nurse’s office. I wondered where she was planning on taking us but didn’t dare speak.

“How long have you been coming to the hospital to volunteer?” She asked.

I had never really counted how many weeks or months I had spent there. After a while, days just passed without me knowing. I took a quick guess that I had been there for one and half months.

“Two months or so.”

“I see.”

We finally stopped at the café downstairs. She led me to a table near a window in a corner of the place that smelt like coffee and baked goods. She took a seat first and motioned for me to sit down as well. I was a bit uneasy, but I sat down anyway.

“I really need some coffee. Would you like anything?”

“No, thank you,” I said with my eyes down. She nodded her head before walking to the counter to order her coffee. I watched her walk away, her heels clicking again.

She had this certain aura around her that kept one attracted but uneasy as well. She seemed dangerous, quite dangerous; but lovely as well.

She came back with the drink in her hand and took a great big sip before sighing contently, “God, I really needed that.” I watched as her lips meet the coffee cup and as she them after each sip.

“How old are you, Sehun?”

“Eighteen years old.”

“Quite young, aren’t we?” She said eyeing me. I awkwardly looked away while clearing my throat and scratching the back of my head.

“I guess you can call me Noona, Miyoung Noona.”

“It’s okay; I’ll just call you Ms. Choi,” I really didn’t want to call her so informally. I had just met her after all.

“No no, just call me Miyoung Noona. I’d prefer it that way since we will be seeing each other every day now,” She smiled.

I nodded my head seeing that she wasn’t about to give up. I wondered whether the rest of the guys were planning on calling her Noona as well.

After sitting in silence for a couple of minutes I decided to stand up, “I should go now.”

“Okay, see you next time, Sehun,” She said freely. I wondered why she even brought me to the café in the first place if she wasn’t going to speak to me.

I took a big breath of relief when I left the café and went out to get some fresh air. She sure did know how to make someone extremely uncomfortable. After feeling a bit better, I walked back to the room to see what Sun Hi was up to. I knew I had to go hand out snacks in a bit so I wanted to see if Sun Hi was okay.

I opened the door and was greeted by the curious eyes of everybody in the room. I looked around at everybody, “Hi?”

“What did she say!?” Woohyun blurted out.

I shook my head, “Were you guys waiting for me the entire time?”

The all nodded their heads furiously. I chuckled as I walked to my bed and took a seat. Sun Hi came up to the bed and lay her head down on my lap. I assumed she wanted a nap now since she was not interested in the new nurse.

“So, what did she say?” Sungjong said, clearly being impatient.

“Nothing really. She just asked me how old I was and told me to call her Noona as she drank her coffee.”

“Wow, she drinks coffee. I love coffee,” Sungyeol said dreamily. We all gave him a confused look and Dongwoo made sure to point out that Sungyeol wasn’t allowed to drink coffee.

“She’s pretty,” Haneul sighed as she rested her arms on her knees.

“Very,” the guys agreed.

“Well now that you’ve gotten friendly with her, hook us up!” Hoya commanded.

I looked up at him and gave him a queer look. I understood that she was beautiful but I wouldn’t want to date her. We barely even knew her! Where were these absurd thoughts coming from?

“I’m sorry, what?” I asked Hoya to repeat.

“Hook us up,” Hoya said slowly. “You know, we want to be on friendly terms to get some stuff in return.”

I stared at him in horror and covered Sun Hi’s ears knowing she hadn’t fully fallen asleep yet. I had no idea where Hoya’s thoughts were going and I wasn’t planning on letting my innocent little sister hear this.

“What do you mean, Hoya?!” I exclaimed.

“You’re a guy, you should know,” Hoya said as if it were the most casual thing in the world. I turned to look at Haneul who gave me a blank expression. She was unfazed by his remarks. I would expect her to take great offense to Hoya’s words.

“So, are you going to?” Hoya asked again.

“No!” I said, bewildered. Hoya’s jaw dropped and he asked me why. I told him that I wanted no part in his dirty work.

“But you let Myungsoo drink milk! Why can’t you bend the rules for me?”

“That’s a totally different thing. It’s not weird!”

“What’s so weird about wanting a nurse to give you extra food!?”

I was about to fight back when I thought about what Hoya said. Food? He wanted food. It suddenly made much more sense to me and I let out a great oh.

“Yea, I can do that,” I nodded my head.

It was Hoya’s turn to give me the weird look, “You were completely opposing it before. What’s so bad about food? Other nurses do it all the time. Mrs. Lee was just so lame.”

“I-I,” I stuttered, “I just misunderstood you.”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows, “Misunderstood what? What else do you think he wanted from the nurse?”

“Well…”

I took a second for everybody in the room to process where my train of thoughts were coming from and next thing I knew, everybody was giving me disgusting looks.

“She’s beautiful and all but that’s gross!” Hoya made a face. My face heated up and I let out an awkward chuckle. I seemed to misunderstand Hoya’s relationship with people a lot.

○●○●○

I carried Sun Hi on my back as she had fallen asleep and didn’t seem like she was planning on waking up. I whispered a quick goodbye to everybody in the room and left to go on my walk back home. My Mother wasn’t picking us up today since she had a meeting and I wasn’t planning on asking my Father to take us home. So, I decided to walk today since I forgot money for the bus at home.

“Oh my God, is that girl okay?” A nurse asked me, referring to Sun Hi who was on my back. I nodded and explained to her that she had just fallen asleep.

I walked out to see the sun that was shining orange. It was about to set and everything outside felt warm. I had always loved this time of the day, things were coming to an end but that only meant a new beginning tomorrow morning.

I walked down the street that the hospital was on and Sun Hi still hadn’t woken up. She was quite a heavy sleeper. I walked past the coffee shop, the cake store and the stall with fruits.

I got to an intersection and waited for the light to turn green for me to walk. That was when I felt someone pull on my shirt. I looked down to see a little girl who looked to be around Sun Hi’s age. She was wearing a pink soccer jersey and holding a soccer ball in her hand. I assumed she had just come out of soccer practise considering the fact that we were in front of a field.

“Soccer practise ended early today,” She stated.

I raised my eyebrow at the odd girl, “Okay, little girl. That’s great, I think.”

“My Daddy doesn’t know that my practise was ending early today,” She said with worry-filled eyes.

“Well I’m sure he’ll be here soon. So just go back into the building and wait for him with you coach,” I said as I eyed the light which just turned green. I wanted to cross the road and get home as soon as possible but this little girl made it impossible.

I noticed that I had a history of dealing with little children.

“Can you walk me back?”

I sighed, “Sure.”

She smiled up at me and stuck close to me nearly making me fall. I had to make sure to keep an eye on the little girl and hold onto Sun Hi tightly. I wasn’t favouring this situation very much.

We walked down to the entrance of the building and she sat on one of the steps. I was about to turn around after saying bye to her but she stopped me yet again.

“Can I call my Daddy? I need to know if he’s coming.”

“Sure, let me just take out my phone,” I gritted as I took out the phone with great difficulty. I asked her for her Father’s number and punched it into my phone. She held it tightly to her face and was happy to find that her Dad was already here and just coming out of the parking lot. She handed me the phone and looked around for her “Daddy”.

She saw him coming around the corner and ran straight into his arms while he laughed. I watched the smiles on their face. They acted as if they hadn’t seen each other in forever and it was heartwarming. The entire scene was warm; the sun, the love, the smiles.

I thought back to my heartwarming scenes with my Father and ironically enough, my heart turned cold.