19

The Caretaker's Story

Hello all ^^ I feel like it's been a while since I've updated. But have no fear, more updates are near! Aha :P

I made a new poster ! It's nothing special (like all my other posters xD) but I really wanted to make one so I said why not? It doesn't really match the background so I might not put it back up. I'll see.

The other day, somebody told me that if Sehun and Haneul were a couple, their couple name would be hunhan xD I found that quite funny. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter and don't forget to comment! Thank you to those who do comment :)

Have a great day/night !


 

I never got a chance to get to know Woohyun in the past. I would only hang out with him in the room alongside all the other guys. The only time we were ever close to alone was when everybody else was asleep.

So, that Friday evening turned out to be the first time we ever spent time together. Woohyun’s condition was getting better and with the permission of his doctor, he was allowed to leave the hospital for a bit. More excited than ever, he ran up to me Thursday night asking me to take him out.

○●○●○

“Oppa, where are you going?” Sun Hi asked me as I waited for Woohyun to change his clothes.

“I’m going out with Woohyun Oppa. I’ll be back in a bit so be a good girl, okay?” I said as I bent down to be at eyelevel with Sun Hi.

She nodded her head and gave me a quick hug before running off to Sunggyu again. Sun Hi had developed a great bond with Sunggyu. I sometimes thought that she liked him more than she liked me. Sunggyu wouldn’t complain, though. He said he loved spending time with Sun Hi and that was all I needed to know that she was happy.

“Where are you guys going to go?” Haneul asked me.

I turned around to see her sitting in her bed with a book in hand; as per usual. I told her that I wasn’t sure myself and she nodded her head before going back to her book.

“Woohyun takes longer than Haneul did to get ready,” Hoya pointed out.

“Hey!” Haneul said, offended. Hoya shrugged his shoulders and smiled brightly.

“It’s true,” I agreed. Haneul made a face at me before burying herself in her book again.

And after what seemed like an eternity, Woohyun came in the room dressed in regular clothes. He was wearing a white t-shirt with black jeans. His hair was styled a bit differently. Normally, his hair was brushed to the side and his fringe rested on his eyebrows. Today, I noticed that he added some gel to put it up from one side.

“Let’s go,” Woohyun smiled.

“Finally,” I said as I walked out of the room. I decided to stick my head back in to remind Sun Hi to be a good girl.

“So where do you want to go?” I asked Woohyun as we got in the elevator.

“I have the whole evening planned,” He smiled proudly. I raised an eyebrow at his excited self but let him be anyway.

The elevator stopped and the doors opened to reveal Ms. Choi—who I still refused to call Noona—standing there. Her eyes fell on me and a small smile settled on her lips. After she stared at me for a bit, she turned her attention to Woohyun and eyed him from top to bottom.

“Where are you going, boys?”

“Out,” I replied before walking out of the elevator. Woohyun walked behind me as we tried to get as far away from Ms. Choi as possible.

“Where you going, boys?” Woohyun mimicked in a high pitched voice. I laughed at his awful impression.

○●○●○

“Uh, Woohyun, are you sure we’re at the right place?” I asked as I stared at the dirt filled road and the hills that seemed to keep rolling. Woohyun smiled at me and walked ahead down a long and narrow path.

“Don’t worry, I know we’re at the right place.”

I was a bit nervous going with Woohyun knowing that he couldn’t walk around for a long time. Woohyun was probably the least healthy out of all the guys. Sometimes, he would cough randomly and other times, he would sleep through the entire day. That is why I was surprised that he was allowed to go out today. I assumed that it was because fresh air is good for everybody.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

Woohyun laughed, “Of course.”

Woohyun stopped walking and consequently, I bumped into him and hit my head on a nearby branch. While rubbing my aching forehead, I looked up to see a variety of vines and leaves in front of us.

I looked over at Woohyun, “We came here to see green?”

“Nope, to see what’s past the green,” Woohyun moved the vines and leaves aside and urged me to go through the small opening. I obliged and what was on the other side was something I never expected.

In contrast to the dark green and brown before, what lay on the other side of the vines was bright green grass and colourful flowers everywhere. There were small ponds here and there and the sun seemed to shine much more on this side.

“Wow…”

“I haven’t been here in so long. It’s amazing, isn’t it?” Woohyun said as he took a deep breathe. “The best part is that barely anybody knows about this place.”

“How did you find it?” I asked, amazed.

“I was bored one day.”

I chuckled at his response. It was something you could expect from Woohyun who seemed to live carelessly but happily.

○●○●○

“You know, once I filled up an entire jar with paper cranes. The jar was pretty big,” Woohyun said randomly.

Woohyun brought me to his favourite spot. It was in an open area with a couple of large rocks placed here and there. Woohyun and I both sat on separate rocks and let the sun cover us completely.

“Why?”

“For a girl,” He laughed sheepishly.

“She must have been quite special.”

“She is.”

“Is?” I looked over at him. “You still see her?”

“Of course I do. We never really got past the stage of friendship anyway,” Woohyun looked down.

I was beginning to get more interested in Woohyun’s story. Who was this girl that rejected Woohyun’s hard work? She must have been someone who was always unfazed.

“Who was she? When did this happen anyway?” I asked as I turned my entire body to face Woohyun.

Woohyun smiled a bit, “Haneul.”

My eyes widened a bit and my breath stopped for a second as well. Woohyun stared at me for a reaction but I gave him none. I just stared back into his eyes that showed the hidden story I was becoming more determined to find out.

“Surprised?” Woohyun asked, still staring at me. “I’ve known Haneul for a while now.”

“How long?”

“We were the first two admitted to this hospital. The rest of the guys came later on.”

I nodded my head, processing the information.

“Don’t you have any other questions?”

“It depends; do you have answers that you’re willing to give?” I asked.

“I have answers to give, yes,” Woohyun nodded.

“Why did Haneul reject you?”

Woohyun looked up and squinted his eyes at the sun, “Well, it’s Haneul. What do you expect?”

I chuckled a bit, “I guess she’s already gave her heart to books.”

“Always had always will. I wasn’t surprised, though. When she said no, I mean.”

“Why?”

Woohyun stood up and dusted off any dirt on his pants. He took out his phone to check the time before looking at me, “You’d have to find that out from Haneul herself.”

○●○●○

“Don’t you want to do anything different today? Like an actual activity?” I asked Woohyun as we sat on the bus going towards our next destination. We spent most of our time sitting in Woohyun’s secret hideout and didn’t talk much aside from conversation about Haneul.

“Nope, I’m fine with this.”

“Suit yourself,” I shrugged.

The bus drove on and stops were passed. Woohyun didn’t tell me where he was taking me this time either so I just tried to enjoy the bus ride. I bought some snacks for Woohyun since I was worried that he might feel a bit weak so he ate them on the bus.

“Can I at least have a hint as to where we are going?” I asked. I couldn’t take the suspense any longer. But Woohyun just shook his head and continued eating his snacks. I sighed before closing my eyes.

○●○●○

“We’re on the other side of the city,” Woohyun announced as we got off the last stop.

“I figured that out, Woohyun.”

“Smart boy,” Woohyun smiled.

The sun was now close to completely setting and the sky was a dark blue colour. I walked beside Woohyun who took us through streets and even through one scary looking alleyway.

“We’re here,” Woohyun spread out his arms.

A soccer field. Woohyun had brought me to an empty soccer field. He dropped his backpack and ran into the field, screaming in joy. He stood in the center of it all and waved me over. I did as he asked and jogged over to him.

“I used to play here as a child.”

“Oh, you played soccer?” I knew that Woohyun was a good at the sport but I didn’t know he actually played it. That thought somewhat bothered me.

“Yep!” Woohyun jumped a bit. “I was the captain of my team and proud of it as well.”

I kicked the ground with my feet, remembering the feeling of grass under my sneakers. The field smelt like grass stains on shorts and sweat from all the running. But most importantly, the field smelt like soccer. I loathed that smell.

“Doesn’t this placed look familiar to you, Sehun?” Woohyun turned around to face me. I was on one side of the field where one team would normally be and Woohyun on the other. He didn’t dare step over the boundary line as he stared me in the eyes.

“No,” I shook my head, confused.

“Are you sure about that, jersey number seventy seven?”

And in that moment, flashes of my youth came back at me. I was a child again, wearing my jersey numbered seventy seven. I stood in the center of the field and faced the leader of our rival team: Nam Woohyun.

“I’m a bit hurt that you forgot me, Sehun.”