28

The Caretaker's Story

“Last exam!” D.O cheered as he put his hand on my shoulder. We were walking into school on the Friday of the week, happy that only one exam was left to do.

“Yea, we’re almost done,” I said.

“You excited for graduation?” He asked.

“Eh, I guess.”

“My Mom’s making me bring some of my aunts and uncles. God, they’re going to be so embarrassing,” D.O sulked.

I laughed, “Hey, be glad they’re coming.”

“Oohh, look at that, Oh Sehun is telling me to be positive. You sure have changed, Sehun.”

I smirked, “You could say so. Anyway, let’s get to class now.”

“I need to use the bathroom first. I’ll see you in class after,” D.O said before he walked off.

I went to my locker to put my bag away and took out some pencils and an eraser. Then, I walked into my classroom which had this nervous air lingering through it. There were people who were murmuring to each other here and there about the exam while others just sat there and prayed.

I walked to my desk and took out my phone to turn it off. Before I could do so, I had a couple of texts. One was from my Father saying good luck and the rest were from the guys at the hospital. They all wished me good luck as well and told me they were excited to see me tonight. I chuckled while reading Woohyun’s: Good luck, Sehun! It’s okay if you fail though, since you’re going to be a soccer player anyway.

Haneul’s text was quite different: Last exam!! Are you nervous now? It’s the hardest exam of them all. But, I have faith in you. Do well, Sehun! Otherwise your tutor will be sad. I decided not to reply because the teacher came in with the exam papers in hand. I turned off my phone and cleared my desk, ready to do the exam.

“This is your last exam!” My teacher exclaimed, happy that she wouldn’t have to mark anymore papers after today. “Let’s do well and I’ll see you at graduation.”

He came around, handing a paper to every student. I took the paper out of his hands and took a deep breath before starting.

○●○●○

“Done!” I yelled as I entered the room.

“Good job, Sehun!” They all said.

I laughed, “Thanks, now all that’s left is graduation. Have you guys picked out your clothes yet?”

“Yea, I have the perfect shirt!” Woohyun said.

“Oh?” Sunggyu asked. “Your perfect shirts are usually quite ugly.”

I stifled a laugh before walking over to Woohyun, “Can I see the shirt?”

“Okay, let’s go. It’s in the storage room along with the rest of our clothes.”

“I’ll come as well!” Haneul exclaimed as she jumped off the bed.

So, the three of us walked out of the room with me in the middle of the two. Woohyun, being himself, talked a lot. He went on and on about the score in the recent soccer game. He didn’t fail to mention the fact that there was no need for a red card during the first half. Nonetheless, the team he was rooting for won so he was happy.

Haneul just blankly nodded her head at everything Woohyun said but I actually listened. I wouldn’t watch soccer matches as much as Woohyun did because I was so busy, but I did keep up with the scores. We began getting into a heated debate over the red card as I felt that it was perfectly fine but of course, Woohyun didn’t.

“Oh my goodness, guys, get over it. The game is over, who cares about the red card?” Haneul said as she stopped us in the hallway.

“You’re right, sorry, Haneul,” Woohyun said.

I nodded my head, “Yea, let’s just go to the spare room.”

“Hey, Sehun, when do you get the results for your exams?” Haneul asked.

“On Monday.”

“And your graduation is on Tuesday, right? We should tell Ms. Choi about that,” Woohyun said.

I sighed, not too keen on meeting Ms. Choi again. I had managed to stay clear of her for a while and was happy for that. But if I wanted the guys to come to my graduation, this miserable task was something I had to do.

“This is the dress I’ll wear,” Haneul smiled as she took out a light pink dress which had red and white flowers lightly printed all over it. She took out a white sweater she was going to wear on top and put the pair against herself. “What do you think?”

“Uh,” I was lost for words as I actually didn’t know how to compliment a girl.

“You’ll look great in anything,” Woohyun said so freely, while looking through the clothes for his own. “This is what I’m going to wear.”

I diverted my attention to the blue jeans, blue sweater and white shirt he was holding up. It was a simple outfit which I felt was perfect for the ceremony. Haneul approved of his outfit and said she was happy he didn’t try to pick something crazy out.

“Looks good, you guys are ready to go,” I said as I leaned against the door.

Right at that moment, somebody pushed on the door causing me to stumble forward. I regained my composure and looked back to see Ms. Choi sticking her head into the walk-in closet.

“What are you guys doing?” She asked.

I decided to speak, “I’m graduating from high school next week and I’ve decided to invite the guys. Is that okay?”

Ms. Choi raised an eyebrow, “You’re graduating?”

“Yes, I believe I just said that.”

“Aw, our little Sehunnie is growing up! How cute,” She came forward to hug me.

My eyes widened and body went completely stiff, “Uhuh.”

“Well yes, I’m pretty sure you can go. I’ll ask the doctor anyway,” She said as she looked at Haneul’s dress. “This is a pretty dress.”

“Thank you,” Haneul said.

“Well I’m going to go hand out snacks now,” I announced, in desperation to leave the stuffy room.

○●○●○

“Hey, Sehun!” I heard someone call as I walked out of the kitchen. I turned to the left to see Myungsoo by the milk machine. I smirked before walking up to him.

“Let’s celebrate with milk!” He exclaimed.

“Celebrate what?” I asked as we walked out of the cafeteria.

“The last exam,” Myungsoo said in a duh voice. “This is good news, you’re done school!”

“Not until I graduate,” I sang as we walked to the terrace.

A light breeze blew past us as it always did in that part of the hospital. I closed my eyes and drank the delicious drink. I looked down at the elderly patients talking and laughing amongst themselves.

“So things between you and Woohyun are much better now, right?”

“Of course, I took your advice and things just happened to work out for the best for everyone. Thanks, Myungsoo, you’re a good guy,” I patted his back.

Myungsoo laughed, “Thank you for the compliment. But you know, I think Woohyun is changing even more now.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Haven’t you seen the way he talks with Haneul?” Myungsoo asked. “It’s the same way he did before.”

“Before?” I asked; I always thought that Woohyun only had feelings for Haneul before the rest of the guys came up.

“Yea, before, when he loved her,” Myungsoo teasingly said love. “We all know about their past. It’s a shame things didn’t work out.”

I, on the other hand, didn’t agree. The selfish me came out again and these thoughts of Woohyun and Haneul upset me.

“Yea,” I whispered.

○●○●○

The long-awaited day finally came. Time flew by quickly as per usual and without even realizing it, I found myself sitting in the seats in alphabetical order. We were all wearing out caps and gowns, thinking about what we would do if we tripped on the way to the stage.

I could see D.O playing around with the girl sitting next to him. He would touch her perfectly curled hair and she would swat his hand away. He would poke her cheek and she would hit his. He was an interesting boy.

Before the ceremony started, I turned around to look up at the guys. They were all sitting in the rows above, talking amongst themselves. Woohyun whispered little things in Haneul’s ear every once in a while and she gave him the usual reaction. My Mother and Father, like Haneul and Woohyun, whispered things in each other’s ears as well. Sun Hi claimed a seat beside Sunggyu and held onto his hand the entire time; I was sure Sunggyu didn’t mind. Well, I hoped he didn’t.

Our principle cleared his voice before speaking into the microphone. The ceremony started and before I knew it, my name was next.

“Oh Sehun.”

I took a deep breath before walking up to the stage to accept my diploma. I shook my Principle’s hand and turned around to smile at the crowd. The guys all cheered for me and my parents took a lot of pictures.

It felt as if time stopped at that moment as I looked up. I watched the cheers come out of my dear friends’ mouths. I saw them clap and wave their hands at me. I felt the support shine out of my parents and I understood that Sun Hi was proud of her older brother. It was in that moment that I had never felt more blessed.


Guess what guys! I got accepted to the unviersity I want to go to today!! I also ordered Infinite's new album~ What a great day it has been, really. <3

You know what would make it even better? If you all commented :P

Have a great day/night guys :)