33

The Caretaker's Story

Guess who's finally updating! Me!

I'm sorry but I was really busy for the past two weeks. Certain situations arised and that prevented me from being able to write. But, I have dealt with everything and now I'm free! (almost). Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter! Leave a comment ^^

Have a great day/night !

p.s. I got my Infinite album today! (New challenge) and I got a Woohyun card~ The poster is amazing.


 

Chen was an interesting person. He would always be the first one at soccer practise and the last one to leave. I always wondered what he spent doing at that field for so long. He was always enthusiastic as well. He had nice qualities. He was also a good listener—albeit he spoke so much one didn’t get the chance to speak.

“You remind me of a friend of mine,” I said to Chen one day as we were getting dressed in the change rooms.

“This friend must be awesome,” Chen grinned.

I scoffed, “He would say the same thing.”

“So who is this friend?” Chen asked as he put his practise clothes away in a bag.

“Nam Woohyun is his name.”

Chen shook his head, “Never heard of him.”

“You wouldn’t have.”

“Is he your best friend?” Chen asked after a couple of minutes.

I stopped tying the laces of my shoes and thought to myself. Was Woohyun my best friend? I had never had a best friend; the closest being D.O. Amongst the guys at the hospital, I was closest with Myungsoo, Woohyun and Haneul. But I wouldn’t consider Haneul a best friend.

“One of,” I decided, not wanting to exclude Myungsoo.

“I see,” Chen said before walking off. I watched his retreating figure smiling to myself as I thought of this interesting friend I had made.

My phone vibrated in the pocket of my jeans as I stood up to leave. I took it out to find that it was my Mother who was calling me. She asked me to take Sun Hi with me to the hospital today. I agreed, remembering the promise I had made to her a while back. It had been a while since she came to the hospital and I promised to take her after thing settled down with our home and with my soccer practices.

○●○●○

“Sun Hi!” Sunggyu exclaimed when he saw Sun Hi and I walk into the hospital. He was in the foyer of the second level. Sun Hi brightened up before running into his open arms. Sunggyu spun her around before the two went on a walk.

It was really quiet when I walked in which had me slightly confused. I thought everybody would be sleeping, but to my surprise, they were all awake. They were engrossed in their own activity and didn’t even notice my appearance.

I walked over to Haneul’s bed since it was the closest to the door and stood at the end of it. She didn’t notice me and continued to stare at Woohyun’s laptop’s screen. I cleared my throat a bit but she still didn’t notice a thing. That was when I decided to take a seat next to her and tap her shoulder.

Haneul jumped, “You scared me!”

I put my hands up in defense, “I’ve been here for the past five minutes but you didn’t notice me.”

“Sehun, I’m going to get a heart attack if you keep doing that,” Haneul said as she put her hand on her chest to calm herself down.

I nodded my head before getting off her bed and going to mine. I dropped my bag on it and checked to see if everybody took their medicine.

“Woohyun, did you take your medicine?” I asked.

He grumbled before taking the book he was reading away from his face, “No.”

I sighed before leaving the room and getting Woohyun’s pills. The nurse gave me two and I grabbed a cup of water for him. I went back into the quiet room and walked to Woohyun’s bed. He was still reading the book which I assumed Haneul gave him. I cleared my throat to get his attention.

“Here.”

Woohyun grumpily sat up, “Thanks.”

I cleaned up the room and within half an hour, all my tasks were done for the time being. I would have to hand out snacks but that was later on. It was three O’clock and I was bored for the first time in that hospital.

“Don’t you guys want to do something?” I asked as I looked around the room. Sunggyu still wasn’t back but that didn’t worry me. Sun Hi went on many long walks with Sunggyu. She enjoyed the hospital and he enjoyed spending time with her. I couldn’t have been any more thankful to him than I was for keeping my sister happy.

Myungsoo and Sungjong were watching a movie on Myungsoo’s iPad. Sungyeol was asleep and Hoya was playing a board game with Dongwoo. Woohyun was still stuck on that book and refused to say a word to me. So, I turned to my only source of entertainment: Haneul.

“What ya doing?” I asked as I peered over to her bed.

“Online shopping,” She said. “Look at this jacket. Do you think it’s nice?”

I sat on the edge of her bed and looked at the jacket she was referring to. It was a jacket for men to wear in the fall that was army green.

“Yea, I guess.”

“I think I’m going to buy it,” She said as she tapped her credit card on the laptop.

“But it’s for men,” I gave her a puzzled look.

“Well, I am buying it for a man,” She giggled. “Should I buy the women’s version for him?”

“Who are you buying it for?” I asked hesitantly. I kept my eyes on the floor and didn’t move as I waited for her to answer.

“You really want to know?”

“Well,” I bit my lip. “I mean, you don’t have to tell me.”

“Great,” She smiled. “Because it’s a secret.”

I pushed her forehead before walking away from her bed, disappointed. I was really hoping she would tell me.

“Sehun, Myungsoo hyung said to meet him outside,” Sungjong informed me. I nodded my head and walked out to the terrace.

“No milk today?” I asked, slightly sad that Myungsoo hadn’t bought any cartons.

“Nah, the nurses were in the cafeteria,” Myungsoo said as he kicked the ground.

“Why did you call me out here?” I asked.

“To ask about the situation,” He smirked. “Did you make any moves?”

I shook my head and told Myungsoo that I didn’t. I also told him that I wasn’t planning on making any either way. I wasn’t sure of anything right now and wasn’t going to risk everything I built up for a petty reason.

“Well did you at least find out some more information?” He asked.

“About?” I looked over at him.

“Haneul,” Myungsoo said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “Did you find out anything about her past with Woohyun and why she’s acting the way she is?”

“No…” I trailed off as I looked around.

Myungsoo shook his head, “This is going to take a long time, isn’t it?”

“What will?” I asked.

“The whole process of you finding out about the past. I think it will take a long time considering the fact that you haven’t found out anything up until now,” Myungsoo said. “Unless you’re letting fate control everything.”

“You’re right, I am. I’ll just leave my fate to do its work.”

○●○●○

Today, the snacks that were being handed out were salads. The hospital didn’t give salads as a snack very often so many of the patients were pleasantly surprised. I spoke to some of the patients about their day and then moved on to the next room.

After a while, I ended up at the room with the guys in it. I opened the door casually and gave everybody a box of salad. From the corner of my eye, I saw Haneul and Woohyun on Woohyun’s laptop. She was leaning over his shoulder to see what he was doing.  I had to admit, I was a bit jealous.

Woohyun whispered something in Haneul’s ear and she laughed. When I got to Woohyun’s bed, Woohyun shut his laptop and the two sat up, smiling at me.

“What were you guys doing?” I asked.

“Nothing,” The two immediately answered.

“I’m sure it was something,” I persisted as I handed a box to them.

“I’m sure it was nothing. Anyway, I’m sleepy so go now,” Woohyun said as he lay down, clearly trying to avoid me. Haneul agreed and scurried off to her bed. I stood there dumbfounded at their actions but left the room to continue my work anyway.

○●○●○

“Your first game is tomorrow,” Woohyun pointed out.

A week had passed. That week was full of brutal training from my coach and Woohyun. I would go to soccer practise and then I would go to the hospital. Whenever there was extra time, Woohyun made me practise and wouldn’t let me stop until I perfected whatever it was he wanted.

“Yea,” I said as I finished my final lap around the field.

“I think you’re ready,” Woohyun said.

“I hope so,” I shrugged.

“With my training, you would be anything but unprepared,” Woohyun cockily smiled.

I scoffed before getting up to grab a water bottle. I went to the closest vending machine and punched in the codes. When I was walking back to the middle of the field, I saw Haneul talking to Woohyun. The two were hunched over together, talking about something which seemed to be a secret. When I got to the two, they stopped talking and just looked up at me.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“Nothing,” Haneul said as she stood up. “Your first game is tomorrow, right?”

“Yea,” I nodded my head. “Why do you all keep asking me that?”

“Good luck!” She exclaimed. “Make sure to go tomorrow, okay? Don’t skip out and play your absolute best. Don’t make mistakes, alright?”

Haneul didn’t give me a chance to reply and just walked off with Woohyun by her side. The two didn’t look back and seemed to be in a rush to get away from me. I was confused at their behaviour as they didn’t act like this normally. Haneul wasn’t someone to order another person to make mistakes; she would normally tell me to just to my best.

“What are they up to?” I asked myself while standing in the field alone.