10

The Caretaker's Story

An update three days in a row, guys! Woooo :P Now don't expect one for a while. I'm joking! I'll update as much as I can. I promise~


 

There was once a time when my Mother was in desperate need of a bookshelf but she refused to get one. We had just moved into our new house and our financial state wasn't the most promising at the time. So, buying a $500 bookshelf was something my Mother simply wouldn't do. She claimed it was a waste of money.

But she really wanted one and I knew it. So, I spent a month working after school to get the money for the bookshelf. She was quite surprised to see the dark brown shelf stood up against the wall in her office. On it were all her books that were previously put in boxes and stored in the basement.

I was very proud of myself and I knew she was as well. We shared a long hug that day and my Mother told me how much she loved me. So I guess you could say that my pride and love was stuck with that wooden piece of furniture. But when I saw it that night, my pride died down and all the love I felt left.

On it was a bouquet of flowers. But not just ordinary flowers, no. There they were, looking the exact same way they did when I last saw them. They were the flowers my Father bought from the mall a couple of days ago.

I scoffed at the scene.

○●○●○


“Here's your sweater,” I said as I placed it on a chair.

“Thanks. Sun Hi, let's eat!" My Mother called. “Here, Se Hun.”

“I lost my appetite. I don't want any, thanks anyway.”

“Why? What's wrong?” She asked as she placed her hand against my forehead.

“Nothing,” I walked away.

Everything.

I walked into my room, closed the door and went straight into my warm bed. After wrapping myself up in my blanket, I stared at the ceiling and thought.

I thought about the flowers and feared for the worst. It was obvious that they were in there because my Father gave them to my Mother. It was because he wanted her back, right?

I ruffled my hair before grabbing my phone off the side table. I decided it was best if I asked a friend what they would think if a guy gave flowers to a girl. I scrolled through my contact list. Baekhyun, D.O, Kai. Nobody seemed fit.

I jolted when my phone randomly vibrated. I was surprised to see the screen say Kim Haneul.
How she got my number was a mystery to me but I picked up anyway.

“Hello,” I said wearily.

“Hey, Sehun,” She replied in a quiet voice.

I didn't reply, expecting her to say something. She didn't.

“Did you just want to hear me say hello or do you actually have something you need to say?” I asked with a rather harsh tone.

“Sorry,” she paused. “I just wanted to remind you to return my book.”

“Okay, I will.”

Silence took over again but I could tell that she had something else she wanted to say. I knew it was about my sudden leave during the soccer game but I was definitely not going to talk about that. So, I decided to take away the awkward by asking her my original question.

“If a guy gave you a bouquet of flowers, what does it mean?”

“Uh, it depends. If something good happened, I'd assume it was because he is congratulating me. If it's random, then I wouldn't know. Shouldn't you be asking a guy this? I'm a girl. Hey I can get one of the guys on the line if you want.”

Myungsoo suddenly came in mind, “Can you give the phone to Myungsoo?”

“Sure.”

I could hear some rustling before Myungsoo came on the line.

“Hello.”

“Hey, Myungsoo.” What exactly was I saying?

“Are you okay?” he asked with uncertainty in his voice.

“When a guy or man gives a girl or woman a bouquet of flowers, what does it mean?”

Myungsoo didn’t respond right away, leaving me a bit nervous.

“Well I would assume he’s trying to show his feelings for her. I mean, who buys flowers for fun?”

I sighed, knowing that my Father wouldn’t buy flowers for fun. That was how my worst nightmare became reality.

○●○●○

Morning came and I dreadfully got out of bed—it was one of those days where I felt like staying in bed forever. When I was in the washroom, I heard the doorbell ring and I heard the running steps of my sister. I could already guess who it was and wasn’t happy one bit.

I changed into my school uniform and headed downstairs with an emotionless face—although that was normal. I nodded once at everyone and got out a bagel to eat. I didn’t bother taking a seat and headed towards the door while eating as fast as possible.  Just the sight of my Mother and Father in the same room was enough to make me sick. But this sickness was different from the type medicine could heal.

“I’m going now, bye.”

I left without hesitation and hopped onto the bus that took me to school. There were a lot of other students crowding the bus and talking loudly amongst themselves. There were no seats available so I just held onto one of the hand bars and tolerated the unpleasant ride to school.

“Sehun Oppa,” I heard a girl say in a very quiet voice. I turned to my right and saw her holding a card. I raised an eyebrow and took it from her shaking hands while she scurried off to her friends.

The card was pink with the message written in darker shade of the card itself. It was a love letter. I stopped halfway through the letter and just shoved it into my pocket. I wasn’t planning on getting together with a girl through a letter. What nonsense.

The stop in front of our school finally came and I got off the bus as fast as possible. Some girls got mad if you didn’t reply to their letter and I wasn’t sure if this girl was really as shy as she made it seem.

“Sehun!” I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped slightly, still a bit scared that the girl was out to get me. But, it was actually Chanyeol who was wearing a goofy smile.

“H-hi.”

“What’s wrong, man? You seem a bit out of it.”

“Nah, I’m fine just some creepy girls. Let’s go in.”

○●○●○

“Psstt,” D.O nudged me with a note in his hand.

I grabbed the note from and unfolded it. It was from Kai with an offer to hang out after school. He suggested we go to his house and then an all ages club in the night.

I wrote back saying that I couldn’t go—hospital duties—and that I wouldn’t go to the club anyway. I head Kai kiss his lips and I knew he wasn’t satisfied.

“Sehun, may I see you outside? Work on these pages for now, okay, class?” My teacher said before walking outside. I looked around awkwardly and followed her without trying to gain much attention. It didn’t work due to my tall stature and the fact that I could potentially be in trouble.

“Sehun, have you finished the journals? It’s been more than a month now.”

.

“Almost.”

“What do you mean by almost?”

“I have a couple left,” I said, nodding at its truthfulness.

“How many have you done, Oh Sehun?” She asked sternly.

 I sighed, “Twenty.”

“Well, that’s not bad. Hand them in by next week and I will give you a ninety percent,” She said before walking back inside. I smiled; a ninety percent was still better than I could ever get.

○●○●○

Class ended and I began packing my bag. I made sure to keep the orange notebook on top so I wouldn’t forget to write in it. After I closed my zipper, I slung it over my shoulders and walked out of the class and to my locker. Kai’s locker was right next to mine so I gave him a light punch when I got there.

“I really can’t go today. I already skipped out on a day to hang out with you guys,” I said to Kai.

He closed his locker, “So?”

“So I can’t go today. One day was enough.”

“Come on, Sehun, you didn’t even hang out with us the whole time. You ran out to some unknown place and didn’t tell us.”

“I’m sorry but something came up.”

“Something’s always up,” Kai threw his hands in the air. “You know, we’ve been talking and we all came to an agreement that you barely talk to us anymore.”

I was growing a bit more upset every time Kai spoke, “You know why I can’t hang you with you. I have to go to the damn hospital!”

“It’s always about the hospital. I thought we were friends, Sehun,” Kai said as he jabbed a finger into my chest.

“Exactly, so shouldn’t you understand my circumstances?”

“Whatever,” Kai said before walking off. I stood in the empty hallway, dumbfounded at his actions. I slammed my locker shut before walking towards the exit.

My phone vibrated in my pocket when I got outside notifying me of a text I received. I wasn’t in the mood to talk to anybody but read the text anyway. It was from Baekhyun and said: Another no-show? Wow.

I clutched my phone tightly and let out a small scream while kicking the ground. These guys were getting really annoying and completely unreasonable.

“What a crappy day,” I said to myself as I walked down to the school gates. I thought back to my Mother and Father which made my blood boil even more and these constant texts from my so-called friends didn’t help.

“People are so stupid.”

While turning the corner to get to the bus stop I saw my Mother’s car parked. I assumed she was waiting for me to take me to the hospital.

Not wanting to see her, I hid myself behind the gates and thought about what to do next. I knew nothing good would come out of our car ride. But she did come all the way to school to pick me up. This constant war continued in my mind for a while.

But in the end, I walked the other way.