31

The Caretaker's Story

I really can't believe we're at chapter 31. I expected this fic to be twenty chapters when I first wrote it :P


 

“I think somebody needs a Myungsoo replacement for a while,” Haneul said as she came to stand beside me.

Myungsoo and I came to the terrace after I gave lunch out. After a while, though, he was called inside by the nurses for his therapy. So, I stood there alone and watched the children play from afar. But that was until Haneul came along.

“I don’t think Myungsoo would be happy if I replaced him that quickly.”

“He won’t be unhappy if we don’t tell him,” She smiled cheekily.

I laughed a bit, “Well, being alone gives me more attention, you know. I’m the only one people can look at when they look up at the terrace.”

“Oh, look at you, Mr. Self-centered.”

I smirked, “My Mother calls me selfless.”

“Well it doesn’t matter anyway. You stand out in a crowd wherever you are, Sehun,” Haneul said as she rested her cheek on a hand.

I looked down at her, “What are you talking about?”

“You glow,” She smiled.

I gave her an odd look, “I think you’re tired, Haneul. I don’t glow.”

“Yes, you really do glow,” She emphasized.

“Okay, we need to take you back to the room or better yet, we need a doctor. Lucky for us, we’re in a hospital,” I winked.

Haneul laughed, “I’m serious, Oh Sehun. Listen to me, have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror? Your eyes shine! Your voice is smooth and soothing and your presence is alluring. You totally glow, such a firefly.”

“I still don’t understand what you mean, Haneul—or believe you all that much,” I said as I looked ahead again.

“Well, it’s what I see,” Haneul shrugged.

“Well, I don’t see it and I don’t think anybody else thinks I glow either.”

“I do,” Somebody from behind us said.

We turned around to see Myungsoo staring at us with no emotion on his face. He walked up to us and stood next to Haneul.

“See! I told you,” Haneul exclaimed, clearly very excited that somebody agreed with her.

I sighed before shaking my head, “Whatever you guys say.”

“Oh, Woohyun’s looking for you, Haneul,” Myungsoo pointed out. “Something about passing high school.”

Haneul giggled, “Ah, thanks for letting me know.”

“Passing high school?” I asked.

“Yea, he asked me to tutor him. He wants to graduate all of a sudden,” She shrugged.

I put my hands on my hips, “Why didn’t he ask me?”

“Maybe you’re not smart enough for the Woohyun,” Haneul simply said.

I grunted, “I’ll go show him how smart I am.”

○●○●○

“I’m here as your new tutor,” I announced as I walked into the room with my hands spread out.

“I asked for Haneul, Sehun,” Woohyun pointed out as he looked up from my bed.

“You’re on my bed,” I pointed out as I sat on the end of it.

“You’re not a patient here,” He said while sticking his tongue out at me.

I kicked his leg and he jolted up. I laughed at his reaction as he crossed his legs and sat up.

“So, what should we start with?” I asked.

I took out the books from underneath Haneul’s bed. She kept them there when she used to tutor because she said she didn’t trust me. She thought I might forget the books at home or not bring them with me on purpose. I was quite offended by that.

“We have history, chemistry, math and English,” I said as I looked through the box of books.

“Sehun, let me to the tutoring,” Haneul sighed as she took the books from me and placed them on her bed.

“Hallelujah, my actual tutor has come!” Woohyun said as he faced Haneul.

I scrunched up my nose before getting up to clean the room, “Fine, don’t ask for me when you need me, though.”

○●○●○

I had never cleaned the room as thoroughly as I did that day. I made sure to get rid of every speck of dust in that room and mopped the floor so that it shined brighter than the stars in the sky. I cleaned the blinds and changed all the bed sheets. I even took the liberty of cleaning out the closet in which they kept their belongings. I managed to find some interesting things such as a bamboo pillow.

“Who would leave this in here?” I questioned as I put the pillow up against the wall.

“I wondered that myself,” A woman said.

I jumped in shock and turned around to meet eyes with Ms. Choi. She was standing in the door watching me. I awkwardly looked away and went back to the cleaning.

“What’s gotten into you, Sehun?” She asked as she closed the door. “From what I know, you hate cleaning.”

“I’m just trying to be helpful,” I stated.

“You never help me out,” She said as she leaned against the wall, arms crossed over her chest.

I recalled the numerous times she asked me to come into her office to help her. I would make up some sort of excuse and always pull myself out of it. I didn’t want to be near Ms.Choi at all. But, she always found some way to come in contact with me.

“I haven’t gotten the chance to do so.”

“I give you chances all the time.”

I remained quiet, refusing to answer her. I really didn’t know where she was going with this conversation, nor was I willing to find out. I quickly finished whatever was left and took a quick glance over the room to see if it was clean enough.

“I’ll be going now, bye.”

○●○●○

It was fun watching Woohyun learn from Haneul. I guess he reminded me of myself; a lost soul when it came to school work. But Woohyun was different in the sense that he had infinite time to study. I had limited time and was in desperate need of good marks in order to graduate. So, I paid attention and tried to absorb the information as well as possible.

Woohyun, on the other hand, would find as many ways as possible to make studying fun. He would drop jokes here and there making Haneul laugh and become sidetracked. He would doze off only to be hit on the head with a book and then apologize to Haneul. Woohyun liked to make games while studying. He told Haneul that he wanted a prize for every time he got five questions right and she agreed. But the weird thing was, he never asked for the prize.

After hours of teaching, Haneul was beginning to get tired and I could see it. Woohyun was as energetic as always and wanted to learn more. So, I decided to join their little study circle and help the two out.

“What subject are you guys on now?” I asked as I sat on the same bed as Woohyun. Haneul sat on her bed with the white board in her arms.

“Calculus,” Haneul sighed.

Woohyun groaned, “Can’t we skip the subject? I’ve only understood the first unit and I’m sure it’s bound to get more difficult.”

“Oh, so derivatives are next,” I said while looking through the textbook. “Well, lucky for you, I’m great at those!”

Woohyun raised his eyebrow as he watched me go over to Haneul’s bed and steal the whiteboard from her. Haneul and I discussed what we should start with and ended up making an entire lesson plan. It was quite nice in my opinion.

“Alright, so a derivative is pretty much the slope of a curve,” I began. “You can find the derivative by using the equation of the function itself.”

“So, let’s look at this one,” Haneul pointed to our first example.

Woohyun watched Haneul find the derivative intently as I made sure she was doing everything right. We managed to teach Woohyun the basics in fifteen minutes. I was really impressed with his great understanding of the topic. He even managed to answer some of the harder questions.

“You’re a smart guy, Woohyun,” I said as I put the whiteboard back under Haneul’s bed.

“I know,” Woohyun said with a cocky smile on his face.

Haneul scoffed, “He’s a stupid little boy.”

Woohyun towered over Haneul, “I’m taller than you and older than you so you can’t call me stupid or a little boy.”

“I’m still smarter,” Haneul sang as she walked out of the room.

“Well I’m still cooler!” Woohyun hollered. A nurse walked by and scolded Woohyun for speaking so loudly causing the rest of us to laugh.

“Why is it always me?” Woohyun cried as he went back to his bed for a nap.

I looked around the room to see that everybody else was pretty tired as well. They hadn’t had a meal since lunch and snack time was in an hour. So, I told them all to go to sleep and that I would wake them up before I left to hand out snacks. They listened to me and soon, all I could hear was their faint breaths.

There was nothing left for me to do so I took this as an opportunity to take a little nap myself. But just before I went to my bed, I decided to go around and put a blanket on the guys. I started with Sungjong and ended off at Woohyun’s bed.

I was happy to know that he slept with a smile on his face; much different from the gloomy look he held before. Woohyun stayed awake much more now and he would talk more as well—proving to us that he could literally go on forever. His hair was getting a bit long and covered his eyes slightly now. I wondered if he was going to get his it cut soon.

“He’s a nice guy, isn’t he?”

I looked down at my right to Haneul her watching Woohyun sleep. I hadn’t notice her come in but didn’t mind the company. After staring at Haneul, my eyes wandered back to Woohyun’s sleeping figure.

“Yea, he really is.”

“I’ve always hate that about him,” Haneul sighed.

“Why?”

“Sometimes I fear that he’s being too nice; too nice for his own good.”