Eight

Realization

“Thank you for today, Mr Kim. I’m leaving now.” I swung my bag over my shoulder and hung my apron on its hook.

“Thank you _____. And you know when you are to come back?” Mr Kim followed me to the door.

“Yes, I’ve written it all down so I wont forget,” I said, happy with my new schedule.

“That’s good then. How do you get home?” Mr Kim asked and went ahead to open the door for me.

“I guess I’ll take the bus,” I said and was about to step outside when Mr Kim stopped me.

“That’s out of the question! A young girl like you riding the bus all alone at this hour… Jonghyun!?”

“Appa?”

 

Yes. He had been sitting in the café during all of my working hours. How embarrassing was that, on a scale of 1 to 10, after our little accident…? I’d say about… 12!!!

 

“Jonghyun. Send this girl home,” Mr Kim ordered his son.

“Of course, appa.” Jonghyun quickly collected his stuff, stuffed them into his treacherous bag and stood up.

 

“NO!” I unintentionally shouted. Fortunately there wasn’t many people left in the coffee shop to embarrass myself in front of… if I hadn't done that enough already...

“Umm… I mean… there’s no need for that.” I laughed nervously.

“I insist,” Mr Kim smiled at me.

“But I can take me home myself.”

“Yeah, we all know how that went last time…” Jonghyun smirked. Mr Kim looked at us from one to another.

“Do the two of you know each other?” he asked and looked confused.

 

“NO!”

“Yes.”

 

If looks could kill there wouldn’t have been much left of Jonghyun by now. There was no need for Mr Kim to know about my clumsiness, right? If he hadn’t already noticed…

 

“Huh?” Poor Mr Kim looked even more confused.

“Well…” I said hesitantly.

“We have met once, but we didn’t really get the chance to get to know each other,” Jonghyun filled in my useless answer.

“That’s great!” Mr Kim smiled. “Then you can get to know each other in the car…” Mr Kim gave me and Jonghyun a slight push that made us stumble outside and then closed the door behind us.

“I guess we have no choice…” Jonghyun said and scratched his neck.

 

Jonghyun walked ahead of me to his car. It wasn’t as cool as Hongki’s sports car, only a charming silvery thing. Jonghyun opened the door to the passenger seat for me and I hopped in. I immediately felt very comfortable in his car. It was much more cozy than Hongki’s car, there was much more space and I noticed that something smelled lovely inside. I leaned backing my seat and enjoyed the leg space.

 

“Like it?” Jonghyun asked and woke up the engine.

“Umm… well. The seats are comfortable…” What? Was that a compliment? Jonghyun didn’t answer, just drove off with a smile.

 

There was another of our usual silences.

“So, Mr Kim is your father?” I asked just to have something to say.

“Yes, he’s my appa. Was he nice to you on your first day?” Jonghyun asked with a teasing smile.

“Yes, very. I had expected a harsher boss,” I answered honestly.

“Well, I could always tell him to make it more difficult for you.” Did he actually think that was funny? Apparently yes, if you looked at his priggish smile…     -.-

 

“Does he own the café or is he running it for someone else?” I asked, ignoring his comment.

“He owns it. He bought it from a friend when I was a kid, so I practically grew up there. I go there a lot.” Jonghyun turned a left. Well, no one could possibly have missed that he hangs out there, a lot. Wasn’t he there for at least five hours today?

“Don’t you have any friends to hang out with…?”

“Umm…” Jonghyun cleared his throat and looked a little uncomfortable. “I take them to the coffee shop sometimes…”

“Okay,” I said, not asking anymore since it seemed to be a rather sensitive subject. Maybe he didn’t have any friends. But I would never in my life have imagined him a loner… he was kind and considerate, quiet charming and incredibly handsome. He must be popular among the girls in his school, right? BoA would’ve, literally, attacked him if he was to attend to our school.

 

“I’m sorry for making you fall today,” Jonghyun said.

“You’re sorry!?” I laughed loudly. “If it wasn’t for my clumsiness nothing would’ve ever happened. You even saved me from… getting… hurt…” I blushed violently at the memory.

 

“Is your head okay?” I asked shyly.

“It’s just fine. A little bump, that’s all. Good thing you didn’t get hurt though, because you didn’t, right?” Jonghyun turned his head to look at me.

“Eyes on the road!” I exclaimed. I didn’t want him to see my scarlet face.

“Sorry.” He turned his eyes back to the road. “We’re soon at your place.”

I looked out the window.

 

He stopped outside my house.

“We’re here.”

“I’m sorry you had to drive me home.”

“You really need to stop apologizing. You’re not a burden!” I looked at him, and he seemed startled at his own words.

“I-I mean… You’re not… It’s not a very hard job getting you home, so… aish! You know what I mean.” I couldn’t help but let out a giggle.

“Sorry.” I put a hand over my mouth but continued to smile behind it. Jonghyun seemed abashed.

“Do you want me to follow you to the door?”

“No, thank you. I’ll be fine.” It was only a few meters from the small gate to my house… overprotective? And I didn’t want my parents to see me coming home with a guy as my only company…

 

I opened the door and got out.

“Good night.” Jonghyun smiled at me. I returned the smile.

“Good night.”

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

I watched her safely go inside her house before I drove off.

What was that just now? When did I become a nervous blabber?

“Jonghyun, get a grip! What’s wrong with you?” I banged one hand on the wheel. I had to go back to my dad’s coffee shop tomorrow, to make up for today’s mistakes…