Twenty two

Realization

When Jonghyun and I was out of sight we let go of each other and sat down side by side in the grass. We sat quiet and I threw the last of my melting ice cream into the bushes. “Do you like him?” Jonghyun looked at the people passing by while I stared hard in the ground. What was the honest answer to this question? You sighed.

“I am letting go.”

“Good. I think you should forget him.” Jonghyun calmly stated and replied my shocked expression with a warm smile. “I know someone who likes you, you’re perfect for each other.”

“Huh?” someone likes me? That couldn’t be right, I barely knew any guys… Jonghyun laughed at my confused expression and stood up.

“Let’s go,” he said and reached out a hand to help me up.

“Where are we going?” I wondered and accepted his helping hand.

“To the movies. Didn’t you say that we were going there?” He pulled me to my feet. I smiled. “Come on then. What would you like to see?” He started to walk without letting go of my hand. I willingly went with him without even trying to pull my hand from his.

 

Jonghyun brought me to a nearby cinema. We looked at the posters and read about the contents of almost every movie.

“How about this one?” Jonghyun asked. I turned to look his way and saw him pointing on a poster to a romantic/comedy. I wrinkled my nose. I wasn’t in the mood for such cheesy stuff right now.

“No way!” I said and Jonghyun smiled.

“Good, ‘cause I didn’t really want to watch it…” he said and I giggled at his silliness. I looked at the poster to the movie I’d just been reading about. Mostly action, could be called a thriller, with a good looking lead actor, some elements of romance and the story seemed alright…

“Wanna see this?” I asked.

“… Are you sure?” Jonghyun looked at me incredulously.

“Hell yeah!” I said a little bit too loud. “If that’s okay with you of course…” Jonghyun stepped up to me and slung an arm around my shoulders and ruffled my hair with his other hand.

“Explosions and death, that’s my girl,” he said with a big grin. Since when was I his girl? Not that I minded him saying that, but…

“I have to go to the bathroom, go and line up. I’ll be there in a second,” I said and hurried to the ladies room. I looked at myself in the mirror and mentally slapped myself. Calm down for God’s sake! This is not a date! He’s just being a gentleman, and a damn good friend.

 

I went out and saw Jonghyun standing by himself with popcorn and a huge coke. He’d paid already?

“Aren’t we going to split…” I began.

“Don’t worry about it. it’s ‘cheer-up-a-_____-day’ today,” he smiled.

“But…” I tried. He handed me the coke and then shoved a handful of popcorn in my mouth to stop me from continuing.

“Shut up,” he said and smiled as he received the ripped tickets and went in.

 

“What a movie!” I exclaimed as we got out of the movie theater. Jonghyun agreed and we eagerly started to discuss the highlights of the film.

 

“Jonghyun!?” a male voice called. I looked around for the owner of the voice and saw two dorky looking boys in my age waving haphazardly.

“Friends of yours?” I asked with a smile and lifted an eyebrow.

“Well… umm…” Jonghyun muttered unclear.

“Then, let’s go and say hello,” you said enthusiastically. I’d been dying to meet his friends for quite a while now. This was great!

 

As Jonghyun and I got closer to the boys their big grins turned into surprised faces.

“Hello,” I said with a slight bow.

“Hello,” the boys answered in unison and bowed politely. After a short silence I elbowed Jonghyun in his side.

“Umm… these are my friends, Onew…” he referred to the goofiest smile. “… and Minho…” The (really, really) tall one of the guys.

“Just friends?” I thought we were besties!” Onew pouted.

“Yeah, Jonghyun and we have been friends since we were this small,” Minho said and measured between his thumb and his index finger.

“I wasn’t done…” Jonghyun sighed.

“But there’s no need to introduce _____-ah to us. You talk so much about her it feels like we already know her, right?” Onew laughed. ????? How come I haven’t heard a sound about Jonghyun’s friends when he seemed to have talked a lot about me…? He had talked about me!? o.0

 

I gave Jonghyun an accusing glare.

“Guys, we have to go…” Jonghyun said. He seemed uncomfortable with the situation.

“Yeah, so do we. The movie is calling,” Minho said with a grin. I glanced at their tickets.

“That movie is awesome!” I said happily.

“Bye guys,” Jonghyun said and started to pull me away from there.

“Nice to meet you two!” I shouted over my shoulder.

“You too _____! Take good care of our Jjongie!” they replied.

“I will!”