Four

Realization

I stared hard on the ground unable to meet Hongki’s eyes. I felt ashamed regarding my previous behaviour and didn’t know how to start. I didn’t know what to say at all…

 

“Thanks for lending me your sweater,” I handed him his hoodie.

“Sure, no problem.” He took it.

“It kept me warm on my way home yesterday,” I said. “And almost caused me to die…” I added quietly for myself. But apparently not quiet enough.

“It did what… What did you just say!?” Hongki looked at me with wide eyes unwilling to believe his own ears.

“Nothing,” I sighed and got ready to leave. “I just wanted to thank you.” I turned around, but Hongki grabbed my arm and pulled me close to him.

“Didn’t I tell you to be careful!?” Hongki said somewhat accusingly and gave me one of those hugs I loved so much. I buried my face in his chest and started to cry. Hongki my hair.

“It’s okay now, everything’s alright.” He pulled away and examined my face. He wiped one of my tears and gave me a smile.

“Come on now, let’s get you home,” he said and led me around the car.

 

Hongki stopped the car outside my house and turned of the engine. I grabbed my things and put my hand on the handle.

“Wait!” Surprised at Hongki’s exclamation I turned to look at him. He looked back at me with his eyes filled with guilt.

“About what happened to you yesterday… I’m really sorry. It was all my fault,” he looked away and bit his lip.

“Oppa, don’t… don’t feel sorry. It wasn’t your fault. I was just being clumsy, as usual.” I tried to laugh but it just sounded false.

“I should’ve driven you home,” Hongki simply said and put one hand on the wheel.

“It’s okay. I had someone there to help me…” I tried to de-dramatize everything but Hongki interrupted me.

“Next time I’ll be there, I promise,” he said. I smiled at him and got out of the car.

“I believe you oppa.” I closed the door and watched him drive off.