Twenty four

Realization

I woke up to the sound of my phone telling me that I got a text. From Jonghyun.

 

“Want me to pick you up after school?”

 

I felt this incredibly idiotic smile sneak its way to my lips and there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop it, so I simply sent a ’yes’ away at once and let the dorky smile stay on my face.

 

“What are you smiling about?” Hongki asked when he came to pick me up and drive me to school.

“Nothing,” I answered and sat down. “I was wondering though, would you like to come to a small gathering at Jonghyun’s house this weekend? You can bring Yuri…”

“Umm… we broke up yesterday,” Hongki said and I felt my goofy grin fade away. HUH!? Say what?

“Why? You looked so good together…” That was not a lie, but it was very hard for me to say it.

“I just felt like I needed some time to work some things out.”

“You dumped her?” I was in shock.

“Let’s just say that we’re taking a break until I have gotten everything cleared out,” Hongki said and gave me a small smile. I felt very confused. What did he need to figure out so that he had to break up with Yuri? And that he hadn’t told me about. He always tells me… He sure is strange sometimes. Good thing I’d let him go, soon. Time to change the subject...

"Jonghyun and I are having a small gathering at his place this weekend. You should come, get some cheering up..."

"Jonghyun..." Hongki glanced at me before sighing. "That'd be great. we haveb't been spending much time together lately."

"Great."

"Yeah..."

 

After school I followed Hongki to the parking lot but I didn’t get in the car, of course, since Jonghyun oppa was going to pick me up. Hongki opened the door.

“Aren’t you coming?” he asked from the driver seat.

“Jonghyun is picking me up for work,” I said and once again I felt that silly smile paste itself on my face. Hongki and I turned our heads when someone honked out on the street. I saw Jonghyun get out of his car and wave his hand at us. I hurried over there.

“Bye oppa. See you tomorrow,” I called over my shoulder.

 

“Hi there my little patient,” Jonghyun smiled as I got closer. I giggled at the stupid nickname but abruptly came to a stop when Jonghyun pulled me into an unexpected hug.     0.o

“Ready to go?” he asked and let me go. I nodded with my cheeks flaming red and my brain boiling with unbelievable happiness. I got in Jonghyun’s car and didn’t notice Hongki who still sat in his car and looked after us as Jonghyun and I left the parking lot.

 

“Promise that you won’t fall today,” Jonghyun teased as he slipped my apron on. I laughed at him.

“I promise. I usually don’t do the same mistake twice,” I said proudly.

“Isn’t there supposed to be a ‘but’ somewhere?” Jonghyun lifted an eyebrow before spinning me around to tie the apron on my back.

“But… I have a habit of always finding new ways of embarrassing myself,” I confessed.

“Don’t you mean: ‘hurting’ yourself?” Jonghyun joked and ruffled my hair from behind. I playfully slapped his hand.

“Let’s get to work.

 

“This is the last plates for tonight,” Jonghyun said and placed the side plates on top of the plate-mountain.

“Great, now I’ll only be stuck here for five more hours,” I joked and Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “Well, my hours for today are already up, maybe I should just go home…?” I looked at Jonghyun with an innocent face.

“Ooooor… you could stay here and help your oppa with the dishes and I’ll only have to be stuck here for another two and a half hour,” Jonghyun pleaded and made puppy eyes.

“Mehrong,” I laughed at him and he splashed water on me. I went to stand on the other side of the huge dish washer. “I’ll dry it, okay?” I picked up a plate and wiped it dry with a towel.

 

We worked quickly and efficiently and we were done in about an hour.

“Finally!” Jonghyun puffed and leaned against the sink. I put the last teaspoons in place and then took my apron off.

“Shall we go?” I asked and walked out of the kitchen. “Bye Mr Kim,” I said to the calculating man. He said goodbye and Jonghyun and I left the coffee shop.

 

It was pretty late and it was dark outside and the traffic had calmed down. Jonghyun and I sat quiet beside each other in the car until – BANG! I sat bolt upright in my seat.

“What was that?” I asked worriedly.

“I don’t know,” Jonghyun said. A terrible stench spread in the car and Jonghyun drove to the side. We both got out looking. I put a hand over my mouth to try and avoid the stink of burned rubber.

“Damn it!” Jonghyun slammed a hand in the car roof.

“What’s wrong?” I asked and hurried over to his side.

“Flat tire.” Jonghyun gritted his teeth.     -.-   Now what? I leaned against the car as he rang for a tow truck. He hung up and looked at me.

“We’re lucky. They were in the neighborhood,” he said and leaned against the car too. It took about fifteen minutes for the wrecker to get to us and just a few minutes for them to pick up the car. Jonghyun talked with one of the. I watched the wrecker drive away. Couldn’t they have given us a ride home? I cursed them mentally. Jonghyun walked over to me.

“Let’s go.”

“Where to?” I asked hoping for him to say we could take a bus home from some random bus stop.

“Home…” WHAT!? We were going to walk home? I was so tired, but I didn’t really feel like protesting. I didn’t want to sound like a spoiled brat and call for a cab, hence I joined him and we started to walk side by side.

 

I didn’t talk much (I’m not very nice when I’m tired…) and I mostly stumbled my way forward.

“Are you tired?” Jonghyun asked when he’d stopped me from falling for like… the seventh time.

“Yes, I am. Really tired…” I said honestly and let out a deep sigh.

“Want me to carry you?” BWOH!? Was he serious?

“Yah, are you crazy? We’re not even halfway to my house. Even you couldn’t carry me all the way,” I said.

“Wanna bet?” Jonghyun grinned and kneeled down in front of me.

“Are you sure?” I asked hesitantly.

“Hop on,” Jonghyun said, hence I took a deep breath and bent down and put my arms around his neck. He stood up and took my legs in a firm grip.

“Light as a feather,” he stated and began walking while carrying me on his back. Liar…

 

I started to relax where I sat and I rested my chin on his shoulder and my nose landed in his hair. Jonghyun tightened his grip around my legs.

“Yah, don’t fall asleep up there, then it’ll be too heavy,” he said with a small smile. I ignored his comment.

“Your hair smells good,” I said drowsily. He chuckled.

“So does yours.” He blew on my curls that bounced on his chest. Once again I didn’t really listen to what he said.

“It smells just like in your car, and like your sweater. It’s the Jonghyun-smell,” I said and breathed in his scent and closed my eyes.

 

As we (he…) kept walking in silence I realized how incredibly comfortable I was in Jonghyun’s company.  He always made me laugh and he’s always there to save me when I mess up and when I am with him I always get all happy. I felt safe with him, and I knew that I could trust him. I started to feel all warm inside of thinking this way. I recognized this feeling…

 

“I could do this the whole night,” Jonghyun half whispered. So could I… “But unfortunately, princess, we’re at your house.” I opened my eyes and lifted my chin off of his shoulder. Already? Jonghyun got down on one knee and let go off me.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“Sure, workout of the day,” he answered and flashed me a blinding white smile.

“Are you going to walk home?” I felt a little worried at the thought.

“I thought I’d take the bus.” Oh, good. I calmed down a bit.

“Okay. Good night oppa,” I smiled.

“Night _____-ah. See you this weekend.” Jonghyun let his hand brush my cheek before he turned around and walked away.

 

I touched my cheek with one hand. Did he just… Why did he do that? I had no idea, but for some reason I was happy he had done it.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sooo , I'm going away for a week now. This Tuesday I'm going with my class to Spain ^^
I promise I'll be updating right away when I get back though :D Then you'll get to see what's gonna happen ... ^^

See you guys in a week :)<3